What type of freeze spray to use to remove mylar?

Marksf1

Aug 13, 2007, 3:36:54 PM8/13/07
I am trying to remove the mylar from my A*FM. It is a huge sheet that
covers most of the playfield. I pick up some cans at $6.00 per can.
I used almost a complete can and only got a small piece removed. It
seems to be stuck on there pretty good. I was thinking at this pace
it is going to cost a lot of money. Is there a cheaper can? I
thought I heard you can use the dust spray cans that are cheaper?
Also, should I spray over the top of the mylar or try to get under it
as I lift it up.

Mark

dropdea...@yahoo.com

Aug 13, 2007, 3:45:45 PM8/13/07

I don't know about the freeze spray method but I've had good luck
using a cheap heat gun - aside from the cost of the gun there are no
recurring costs. Just don't melt anything :)

tonya...@yahoo.com

Aug 13, 2007, 3:54:43 PM8/13/07
On Aug 13, 12:45 pm, "dropdeadhip...@yahoo.com"

I use a hair dryer!

Bryan Kelly

Aug 13, 2007, 4:04:14 PM8/13/07
I use the cheapest compressed air in a can I can buy. It's hard to
believe you're having that much trouble with an AFM. Are you holding
the can upside down? Simply lift a corner with a razor blade then
spray the mylar from the top. I've never tried from the underside.
Pull lightly as you spray and the mylar should simply pop up.
Continue this until done. It should take maybe 3 cans.....4 tops.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins
Home of the EXECUTIVE Pin Footie http://www.pinfooties.com

Steve Kulpa

Aug 13, 2007, 5:08:15 PM8/13/07
Same here. My favorite is the stuff you buy on an internet special,
that
never gets delivered. :-)

seriously. Spray an area on the top side of the mylar. wait a few
seconds, spray again, etc... As soon as the glue freezes solid, the
mylar will pop off. Then use naptha and paper towels to remove the
glue.

steve
---
Steve Kulpa (cargpb10)
Hermitage, TN
http://www.geocities.com/stevekulpa/faces/rgpidx.htm - Faces
http://www.geocities.com/stevekulpa/pinball.htm - Pinball

Hooked

Aug 13, 2007, 5:17:35 PM8/13/07
After you get the edge up with a razor use a 4-5 inch plastic spackle
knife (no chance of paint removal. Just keep a one inch area infront
of the knife frozen as you go should be 30 sec and your done. Just
dont stop spraying the can upside down. I kept frost on the mylar the
whole way. My first can was a waist but after you get the hang of it,
its quick.

I used googone and a plastic brush to remove the glue.

Good luck

Google mylar removal for more info if needed.

Bryan Kelly

Aug 13, 2007, 6:36:38 PM8/13/07
When it comes to glue removal, absolutely NOTHING works better than
Orange Power. Spray it on, let sit for all of 2-3 minutes then scrape
off with plastic razor or credit card. If you've never tried this
stuff, YOU NEED TO!!!!! Don't delay, don't pass go, just buy it and
try it now.

Oh, and you can get it from one of my favorite suppliers....

http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

It's at the bottom of the page. :-)

Marksf1

Aug 13, 2007, 10:18:12 PM8/13/07
On Aug 13, 3:36 pm, Bryan Kelly <bskel...@aol.com> wrote:
> When it comes to glue removal, absolutely NOTHING works better than
> Orange Power. Spray it on, let sit for all of 2-3 minutes then scrape
> off with plastic razor or credit card. If you've never tried this
> stuff, YOU NEED TO!!!!! Don't delay, don't pass go, just buy it and
> try it now.
>
> Oh, and you can get it from one of my favorite suppliers....
>
> http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html
>
> It's at the bottom of the page. :-)
>
> Bryan (CARGPB 14)http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

> Home of the EXECUTIVE Pin Footie http://www.pinfooties.com
>
> On Aug 13, 4:08?pm, Steve Kulpa <steveku...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Same here. My favorite is the stuff you buy on an internet special,
> > that
> > never gets delivered. :-)
>
> > seriously. Spray an area on the top side of the mylar. wait a few
> > seconds, spray again, etc... As soon as the glue freezes solid, the
> > mylar will pop off. Then use naptha and paper towels to remove the
> > glue.
>
> > steve
> > ---
> > Steve Kulpa (cargpb10)
> > Hermitage, TNhttp://www.geocities.com/stevekulpa/faces/rgpidx.htm - Faceshttp://www.geocities.com/stevekulpa/pinball.htm- Pinball- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Guys - I have done this before on my W*H20 but it had only a
few small pieces and seemed to be much easier. I will give your
methods try. I don't know why I decide to take these projects on in
August in my garage. I think I needed the freeze spray more on my
head to keep cool than the game. I bought the actual freeze spray
which is more money than compressed air. Now I remember that I can
use the compressed air but just keep the can upside down.

Thanks

Steve C

Aug 13, 2007, 11:51:20 PM8/13/07
As Bryan mentioned, get a can of Orange Power from Scot at www.pinrestore.com
and after spraying it on the left-behind glue, lay a paper towel over it. then
soak the paper towel and leave it even longer (as in a few hours).

the purple razor blades (it only takes one) can be used to "scrape" up the goo.
I use the purple plastic razor blade to get started with the mylar too rather
than an actual razor blade.

I start at the slingshot area to get things going but have had good luck up by
the pop bumpers as well. I don't try to do it in one massive sheet lift either.
I get some of the sheet lifted and then use an exacto knife to knick what I've
lifted tear it and only do sections at a time.

I did a Fathom recently that had a full mylar and it only took one can to do the
job. turned upside down of course (was a larger canned air container that I
bought at Micro Center - similar to CompUSA).

I just spray until the mylar turns white and gently lift. I keep the can focused
right about where the tension is as I lift the mylar and back in to the mylar
some. it shows up as a liquid that I keep going as I lift. works pretty easily
and if done correctly won't appear to lift any artwork. especially on newer
games although I'd say to watch out around inserts if they have decals on them.

stevebo

Ceegary

Aug 16, 2007, 7:33:05 PM8/16/07
Totally agree, much better than GooGone or Nhaptha.

GRY

"Bryan Kelly" <bske...@aol.com> wrote in message