Encyclopedia of MU*s: SvenskMUD, Medevia, LPCC

Henry McDaniel III

Feb 9, 1994, 2:11:57 AM2/9/94

Once again it is time for me to request that new mud administrators,
or even older ones who have not contacted me send info about their games
for safe keeping. This is post #4. The first one was made almost
10 months back. The Encyclopedia of MU*s is more of a library of
historcial information (and in some cases just old advertisements)
from various MUDs so that this bit of history will not be lost forever.

In addition to old ads and properly formatted information I have on
storage several of the vintage documentation for all of your
favorite MUD types, my own MUD dictonary (published in early october.)
And a few other assorted goodies.

ALSO!!!! If you wish to update your old info, just mail me. . ..
We will not erase your old info (as the point is to have historical
information) but we will add your latest info.

If you would like data on your mud to be in this work (which will one
day be freely available on the NET as a public service to those
interested in such stuff) simply send me information on your
game in the following format:

1: Your email address and real life name, also mud name.
2: The name of your MUD
3: Address of the game (in numeric and symbolic form please)
4: Theme statement/details
5: History of the MUD (how it was built, why it was built,
or what it was like for players -- if you want.)
6: Other general info, including extend info on reaching the
administrator(s) if you like.

I esp. would like you to name as many references to real dates
as possible in your history portion.

IF the MUD no longer exist I still would like information,
about it -- just be sure to note that it is no longer available.
In this case former players or anyone really can submit information,
with the understanding (and I will verify as much as I can) that
the data is accurate.

Even if you have sent me info before, an update would be nice.
Feel free to write lots of musings if you wish ! Some of this
has already helped one guy who was doing research for a paper.
Perhaps one day there will actually be a few old timers arguing
over which came first LP or Diku?? Well this project will
help with that problem (and doesn't that make life more worth
living ;) heh.)

Lastly, please note that this project is completely objective.
Just send your information in the proper format (address,
theme, etc.) and it will be saved (spelling will be corrected
if needed, however.) I also am taking player opinions,
or STORIES of MUD experience to be placed in a section of
the Encyclopedia. The present sections are:

1. MUDs (historical data, adverts.. info on specific games)
2. Documentation (Old docs, we even have some from a game called
MONSTER -- said to be older than Aber.)
3. Misc. Dictionary, Preface and such.

I welcome any observations on muddom in general as articles
for the Misc. section also. Just mail it to me. Oh yeah,
I cannot accept crtitical MUD reviews from anonymous persons.
If you can't reveal your true name don't bother with this
sort of thing. I've only had one nasty letter about
a certain MUD.... it remains to be seen what section this
should go in.

Here follow 3 random samples from the current collection of
80 or so entries for the MUDs section.

=== EXAMPLE #1 ===== (NOTE: this game is now defunct) =====

Date: Wed, 5 May 1993 14:07:08 -0600
From: Jason Curnow gar...@selway.umt.edu (Garion@LPCC)
Name: LPCC
Addr: victoria.city.ac.uk 6999, 138.40.11.1 6999

Theme:
The LPC Centre, based in London, England, is a mud dedicated to teaching
LPC to anyone who is interested in learning. There are no players at all,
only wizards. We are running the 3.1.2 driver, with a modified 2.4.5 mudlib,
which we try to keep fairly standard. LPCC has been running for over a year,
and currently has 2100 users, with a normal of about 25 on at once. The
administrators are Sisquach (Richard Hopkins) and Garion (Jason Curnow).
LPCC can be found on victoria.city.ac.uk (138.40.11.1) at port 6999.
If you're interested, drop in and take a look around. We're always interested
in finding experienced coders who wish to help others, and new coders who
want to learn.

---- EXAMPLE #2 ------

Date : Tue, 21 Sep 93 02:13:38 EDT
Sender: sp...@netaxs.com
Name : Medievia
Addr : 129.32.32.98 4000 (bigboy.cis.temple.edu 4000)

Theme :
Based in a post apocalyptic future, where technology was lost in two
cataclysmic galaxy spanning wars, the mud is a fantasy based mud, with the
intention of introducing technology into the game's theme in the future.
"The Story of Medievia" is available on the mud in the general store for
the full details on the background.

History:
Original concepts by Michael A. Smith, based on Merc 1.0 code, with
modifications by Michael A. Krause and future modifications to be added by
another programmer. A "War Of The Gods" has caused a great deal of
problems with the mud's operation, at this time the administrator is in
the process of trying to help resolve those problems. The Programmer is
being replaced, and many of the gods are being dismissed and new ones
added to replace them.

Other:
See the Medievia Story, Faq, and other texts on the mud itself for
more detailed information.

Medievia was placed online in Feburary of 1993, officially went up
"non-test basis" on April 1st (April Fools Day, we should have anticipate
the problems! ugh! :)).

Original Implimentors: Highlander (Michael A. Smith / sp...@netaxs.com
msm...@bigboy.cis.temple.edu)
Balor (Anthony Rowley / rid...@netaxs.com
rid...@bigboy.cis.temple.edu)
Vryce (Michael A. Krause) [Code work]
address withheld due to his replacement.

Current Implimentors: Highlander (see above)
Balor (see above)
A programmer to be named shortly.

For more information, send me mail.
sp...@netaxs.com / msm...@bigboy.cis.temple.edu

===== EXAMPLE #3 =======

Date : May 22 15:15:24 1993 (with history from 10/93)
Sender: li...@lysator.liu.se (Linus Tolke)
Name : SvenskMUD
Addr : svmud.lysator.liu.se
Ports to use: 2046 (2043 if you want to start with iso-646 characters)

Theme: Swedish 19th century

SvenskMUD, historian för ett lite annorlunda MUD

Författare och gud: Linus Tolke

Någon gång i slutet av sommaren (1991) råkade jag ut för
ett litet problem, jag hade nämligen, antagligen alldeles för
lite att göra. Samtidigt råkade mitt periodiska hat över
engelska språkets svårigheter ha en topp. Som tur var fanns det
givetvis en lösning:
- Nu skall vi ha ett mud på svenska istället!

Jag tänkte först översätta allt så jag började med
att översätta kyrkan. Nu är det ju bara så att jag tyckte
det var tråkigt att bara översätta så jag kom genast på
tanken att man skulle kunna spela samtidigt som man översatte! Sagt
och gjort, jag kopierade alla filerna till eget dir, kompilerade och
startade, gick in i min nya kyrka och märkte att det funkade
knappast alls.

#Courier-Bold
> exa klocka
> exa brunnen
> s|der
#end Courier-Bold

Var det enda som fungerade. Inga problem, det var ju på gång
så jag översatte player.c, soul.c (pust!) och introducerade ett
par andra småsaker också. Sedan var det dags för adventurers
guild, posten och affären och några smårum. Det gick
förvånansvärt lätt men det var inte så kul att spela
för helt plötsligt kom man ut på oöversatt område och
då gällde helt plötsligt helt andra kommandon när det
gäller rörelser mm.

#Courier-Bold
> kolla corpse
> west
> d|da giant
#end Courier-Bold

Nu råkade spelet ut får en liten serie diskkrasher som var
ganska deprimerade för de tog med sig ett par nyss översatta
filer. Jag hade trots allt kommit så långt att jag inte
längre kunde ge upp idéen utan jag flyttade alla filer från
nanny till lysators sun-stationer och startade servern på lysator.

Jag fixade till filerna som hade gått förlorade igen men
eftersom världen var ny så tänkte jag att det är ju
roligare om världen, i grunden skiljer sig från standard
LPmudvärlden. Jag hade en lång eftermiddag så jag designade
och programmerade en ny by utgående från kyrkan.

Följande var mina utgångskrav:
- Kyrkan skall man gå ur åt väster.
- Pub, post, affär och äventyrarnas klubb skall finnas.
- Hiss till Leo men inte i kyrkan.
- Harry och tiggaren skulle finnas med.
(Jag hade redan översatt dessa så jobbet med att skriva
smårummen var inte så stort, som sagt det tog en dryg
eftermiddag. Det som tog längst tid var att hitta på lämpliga
repliker till Harry.)

Ett par dagar senare gjorde jag lite skog med några monster till.
Jag har fortfarande en väldigt bra bild av hela världen (som jag
skapade) på ett gammalt hålkort.

Eftersom jag inte orkade bygga så mycket annonserade jag i
loginmeddelandet att vem som ville kunde få bygga och Cabal, Ingis,
Radagast och Rebels anmälde sig ganska snabbt och fick börja.

De gjorde ett bra arbete och lyckades åstadkomma att spelet blev
spelbart också, inte bara ett spel där man går in och tittar
och tycker, kul och sedan finns det inget att göra.

Just nu finns det tio uppdrag man skall lösa, i väldigt
varierande svårighetsgrad. Det finns plats för fler spelare
för det har ännu aldrig varit vare sig helt rensat på
monster, eller fullt så att det inte har funnits plats för fler
uppkopplingar. De som spelar är mest från Sverige men någon
enstaka svenskamerikan och någon enstaka finne finns också med.
Till undantagen hör de amerikaner och holländare som kör med
översättande klienter och lär sig svenska samtidigt som de
spelar.

Information om uppdragen och lite annat om världen kan man hitta om
man går till Äventyrarnas klubb och tittar bland uppdragen eller
på anslagstavlan. Man kan också läsa SvenskMUDs dagblad som,
med något enstaka undantag, kommit ut den 30:e varje månad sedan
spelet startades. Det kanske ligger ett ex i puben.

=== END OF EXAMPLES ======

- McDaniel

mcda...@u.washington.edu Humble Stellar MUD worker.
Henry McDaniel Communications, PO BOX 28964, Seattle WA. 98118, USA.