online games

Pops

Nov 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/18/96

I would like to stat comparing online game services, I have played
the REALM & meridian59.The LAG is terrible both places & the games
are often unplayable.
The realm is in alpha so I can forgive them,BUT I am paying for
Meridian59.
I can not get any support from Merisian 59 folks either.I am going to
cancell my account
my account with them. IMHO Meridian 59 is not worth the money.

Anyone know of an online adventure/RPG style game w/o the LAG?
mike

Mark Stanford

Nov 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/19/96

*groan* Suggestion. Don't use graphics! They suck! There is not one
good graphical MUD -- not that they're technically even MUDs! READ!
TYPE! Since you have cancelled your Meridian59 account I'm assuming that
your soul is at least semi-savable.

Please. For your own sake. Don't use this evil practise called graphical
MUDding. Don't give the bastard money. Every dime you pay is another
dime given to the fund of Hell!

--
+ Mark Stanford -- Karzan -- kim...@inetworld.net +
___ ___ _______ _______ _______ _______ ______

Adam Powell

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Pops wrote:

> I would like to stat comparing online game services, I have played
> the REALM & meridian59.The LAG is terrible both places & the games
> are often unplayable.
> The realm is in alpha so I can forgive them,BUT I am paying for
> Meridian59.
> I can not get any support from Merisian 59 folks either.I am going to
> cancell my account
> my account with them. IMHO Meridian 59 is not worth the money.
>
> Anyone know of an online adventure/RPG style game w/o the LAG?

> mike

Just cause a mud is laggy, or lag free doesn't mean it's a good or bad
mud. It may just mean that the imps can't afford to pay the extortionate
rates MUD hosts can often charge them.

There are many lag free muds which deserve to be *** TOTALLY DESTROYED ***
for being utter pants (not mentioning any names like Thanatos), and others
who suffer from day time lag cause the only home they could find was on a
busy network.

In the next couple of days expect a posting here about a truely good mud.
If you don't like it, tell us why, and we may change it if the majority
think it would be best. Mobs that will be SOOOO much better than the
rest.

Enjoy

Chris

Ps. Heres an extract from one of our mob progs:

{
if FNrunning(marry_procedure)
FNpass_var(5;"$7";marry_procedure)
if FNunfreeze(6;zz4w82y)
break
else
say Shhhhhhhhh
point $n
pause
glare $n
endif
else
if not FNspawn(marry_procedure)
bug Spawn failed: marry_procedure
endif
endif
break
}

Pops

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

m...@gamewood.net (Pops) wrote:

>I would like to stat comparing online game services, I have played
> the REALM & meridian59.The LAG is terrible both places & the games
>are often unplayable.
>The realm is in alpha so I can forgive them,BUT I am paying for
>Meridian59.
>I can not get any support from Merisian 59 folks either.I am going to
>cancell my account
> my account with them. IMHO Meridian 59 is not worth the money.

>Anyone know of an online adventure/RPG style game w/o the LAG?
>mike

Well ,my LAG on MERIDIAN was due to my new phone line has a hum in
it.
It will be repaired soon. The Realm still has really bad LAG.
I finally got a reply from 3do also about MERIDIAN.
BTW ,I am only interested in compareing GRAPHICAL games,not text based
games.

Nathan Fenenga Yospe

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996 07:28:16 +0000, lgy...@unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk, claiming to be Adam Powell, posted to rec.games.mud.misc the following:

: On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Pops wrote:

: > I would like to stat comparing online game services, I have played
: > the REALM & meridian59.The LAG is terrible both places & the games
: > are often unplayable.
: > The realm is in alpha so I can forgive them,BUT I am paying for
: > Meridian59.
: > I can not get any support from Merisian 59 folks either.I am going to
: > cancell my account
: > my account with them. IMHO Meridian 59 is not worth the money.
: >
: > Anyone know of an online adventure/RPG style game w/o the LAG?
: > mike

: >

: Just cause a mud is laggy, or lag free doesn't mean it's a good or bad

: mud. It may just mean that the imps can't afford to pay the extortionate
: rates MUD hosts can often charge them.

True. On the other hand, when its a pay for play mud, which I think
Meridian 59 is supposed to be (?), it had better be up to the standards
they promise their customers.

: There are many lag free muds which deserve to be *** TOTALLY DESTROYED ***

: for being utter pants (not mentioning any names like Thanatos), and others
: who suffer from day time lag cause the only home they could find was on a
: busy network.

*ROFL* Absolutely, and 99% of them are ROM based. (The lamers, I mean)

: In the next couple of days expect a posting here about a truely good mud.

: If you don't like it, tell us why, and we may change it if the majority
: think it would be best. Mobs that will be SOOOO much better than the
: rest.

Not hard. I've been working on those too.

: Enjoy

: Chris

: Ps. Heres an extract from one of our mob progs:

: {
: if FNrunning(marry_procedure)
: FNpass_var(5;"$7";marry_procedure)
: if FNunfreeze(6;zz4w82y)
: break
: else
: say Shhhhhhhhh
: point $n
: pause
: glare $n
: endif
: else
: if not FNspawn(marry_procedure)
: bug Spawn failed: marry_procedure
: endif
: endif
: break

: }

Interesting.....

Lets try that with a physmud program... at least, what's understandable of
it. Interesting syntax.

> shushcheck

expect
character this
character target
end expect

return
end return

start
if runtime program = this:checkruntime(marry) // if program exists
program:modint('seed', 5)
program:modcharacter('targ', target)
if execute('unfreeze', this, 6, 'trigger') // if program executes
terminate()
else
this:do('say', 'Shhhhhhh')
this:social('point', target)
idle(1)
this:social('glare', target)
end if
else if !execute('marry', this) // if program fails to execute
// Do nothing. Bug logging is automatic.
end if
terminate()
&

Your programs look powerful, but the syntax, and presense of
strange things like "zz4w82y", makes them, well, less than pretty.
What kind of codebase are they running under?
--
__ _ __ _ _ , , , ,
/_ / / ) /_ /_) / ) /| /| / /\ First Light of a Nova Dawn

Michael Sellers

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

Adam Powell (lgy...@unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk) wrote:
: Just cause a mud is laggy, or lag free doesn't mean it's a good or bad
: mud. It may just mean that the imps can't afford to pay the extortionate
: rates MUD hosts can often charge them.

This is far being being the whole story. Lag comes from four basic
sources: the server, the server connection to the Internet, the Internet
itself, and the chain of downlinks from the backbone to your ISP and your
computer. From the player's end, lag at any one of these points will be
indistinguishable unless you do a lot of traceroutes to localize the
trouble.

Even if your game is running on a very fast host connected to a T3 (as we
are) so you don't create a bottleneck on your end, the Internet can get in
your way. If Sprint, Alter.net, MCI, or even (worst of all) MAE-West or
MAE-East have trouble, no matter how good your connection is, you'll see
significant lag. Similarly, even if the server connection is fine and the
Net is fairly well-behaved, a huge ftp pulse on your ISP (or their ISP, or
their ISP's ISP...) can cause fairly localized lag.

This all means that MUD providers are in a difficult spot: we cannot
control the Internet, and yet we are trying to provide solid service.
Educating the populace helps, as you can demand better service from your
ISP (or make a more well-informed choice of ISP), but as long as the Net
is the Net, we'll have some bumps in the road.

: There are many lag free muds which deserve to be *** TOTALLY DESTROYED ***

The only lag-free muds that I'm aware of have no more than 20 people on at
a time and require little interaction between players. When you get up
into the hundreds or thousands on all the time, the picture changes a bit.

--
Michael Sellers Internet Game Designer
mike.s...@3do.com The 3DO Company