Retromud

Michael Mendoza

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

My reply to Valheru's post follows. Caps are used for emphasis, since
I feel mere _underlines_ don't stand out properly in most of the cases
here. Please do NOT interpret them as someone virtually 'screaming' in
your face, conventions notwithstanding.

VAL:
Actually, it's a good mud, just beware having too much free speech
or opinions. If you disagree with Talien you can get on his bad
side, and people who have gotten on his bad side have mysteriously
been removed for various vague offenses that were allowed to others.

REPLY:
NOT TRUE. All deliberately removed characters have been removed as
result of a discussion between several wizards.

VAL:
in short: this isn't whim death, this is criticize me or my code,
I'll remove you for 'personal attacks.' Never mind the fact that
while you discuss the code in question with him, he is insulting
and offers his own personal attacks, and fits the definition himself
that is in 'help harassment' there. All this you can check out if you
go there, I recommend the mud, it has great code and good coders. I am
just warning you that people have gotten removed there without any
reason more than that Talien probably had a problem with them.

REPLY:
NOT TRUE, again. We've had our share of accidents and mishaps, but
never has the power to legally remove or banish permanently rested on
one wizard, or even one Admin.

VAL:
He can say,
'well this person cheated, or this person broke the rules posted when
you enter, but for every such example there are 5 people who did the
same thing and were not removed.

REPLY:
What you imply is again NOT TRUE and ILLOGICAL. Certainly we cannot
catch all cheaters, but this does not exempt those who HAVE cheated
from punishment. It's like saying we should let Timothy Mcveigh go
free because we haven't caught the mysterious 'second man' (if you
will indulge a little hyperbole here.)

VAL:
Basically, there are varied standards there,
and Talien sets the high moral ground and then feels free to stray
from it as he enforces it. Go ahead, reply that I'm wrong, reply that
I was removed for something, tell us your side talien, I've heard it
before.

REPLY:
_I_ am replying that you are wrong, because, put simply, YOU ARE.
Retro has logs of you cheating. The fact is that PEOPLE WHO CHEAT RISK
REMOVAL.

VAL:
We had a point of contention, I wanted an objective 3rd party, you
said o That you didn't know where I get my ideas of logic, you were
quite able tojudge the incident in question, and you were happy I was
gone, and yes then you called me a nice word. I have this logged.

REPLY:
Do the aforementioned logs absolve you of cheating? NO, they do not.

VAL:
If you had let it go to a council vote among arches, you might have
had to removed some of them too, if they were dumb enough to publicly
disagree with you. Since 5 of the 7 at that time told me it was
unfair, I wonder what would have happened.

REPLY:
I myself did not have the whole story, but when I found out that you
had cheated, I supported your rm. YOU CANNOT say what happened among
the wizards, because YOU WERE NOT THERE. I do NOT wish this flame to
go on, I wish GREATLY that Retro and its detractors could just settle
into a nice detente, but posts like this prevent it by defaming the
mud.

VAL:
Oh well, you can now reply to this and say something sanctimonious
about 'don't believe anything from someone who's been removed, he says
anything he wants to get you to believe him.'

REPLY:
I cannot ultimately force you into believing something you do not
wish. If you, the reader, wish to believe Valheru, then believe him,
but know that what he says is EMPIRICALLY AND FACTUALLY UNTRUE.

VAL:
ya...this from the open-minded, honorable, impartial and definitely
non-paranoid individual Talien who told me "All players cheat, I just
don' tcatch most of you." Want a log of that conversation Talien? Or
do you have it along with the others you make constantly snooping all
tells to see if anyone is plotting something. I'd wonder why you snoop
so much, but I don't want to get into any more of a personal attack,
and mentioning some possible tie-in with your sexlife might fit
that...hypothetically speaking, I wouldn't know for sure--I'm not into
playing God like some.

REPLY:
I believe it is DISHONORABLE and WRONG for people to personally attack
others' opinions and reputations. YOU, however, are free to think it
is right to defame other's character and reputation, to make them feel
worthless, and to belittle them. And sadly, this is what Valheru seems
to imply about himself.
As for snooping? Regular snooping is intended to discourage cheating.

VAL:
If you'd like to discuss this more, please mail me, but that would be
addressing the problem, and I know you would probably rather just
silence me and beat down any others on the mud who question you. Hmm,
I used to think Zonni on bat was a bit totalitarian, but you know, he
at least admitted sometimes to doing things on a whim, and thus didn't
have to justify himself with some elaborate yet false charges of
breaking the rules of the game.

REPLY:
These charges are not elaborate, and they are not false. You, valheru,
are accused of cheating. There are logs of you cheating. Therefore,
_by several wizards' decision_, you were removed for cheating.

VAL:
In sum, play at your own risk. It's bad enough to play there when
people in the top 10 have had their characters lost to a bug, and when
they log back in after 2 months, they're told 'well, it's been 2
months, sorry, no can do on any restoration.' These are nice people
who donated, and never broke any rules at all. (francis) Hmm...one
might speculate maybe he did break some law after all to be dealt with
so harshly, maybe he took ole t-- er.. God's name in vain.

REPLY:
I WISH that we could restore those people who have been lost to a bug.
But the simple fact is, WE CANNOT. We do not have the logs necessary,
due to a falling-out with our previous host. What you ask is
tantamount to creating life out of nothing (again, a bit of hyperbole)
-- we have no logs of the aforementioned players' expworth, therefore
any reimbursement would be arbitrary and artificial.
Retromud is a NON-PROFIT organization. This means that there are NO
guarantees, only assurances, else we would be a PROFIT mud.

VAL:
Val

p.s. if you're an arch there, none of this reflects on you, you don't
have to defend the mud, I think the rest of the admin has always been
pretty evenhanded about things. This falls under the heading of
'warning about Talien' only. If that's a personal attack, then ya, i
just made one. His mudcharacter is not very fairminded. This says
nothing about him in real life, he seemed nice once when I talked to
him actually. He just plays his character like Stalin.

REPLY:
I appreciate your thoughtfulness in not attacking me. I DO NOT
appreciate that you attack the mud, and that you attack Tal in lieu of
me. I must again state that your personal attacks are DISHONORABLE and
WRONG in my view. If you wish to debate, post facts, not opinions.
This is not a .flame group, it is not intented to express the feelings
of those who feel they have been wronged, but rather to calmly discuss
mud issues.

Palaskar *={=======-
Player of Retro for 2 years
Wizard on Retro for 2 years
Archwizard on Retro for 1 year

John Adelsberger

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

Michael Mendoza <mmen...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

: As for snooping? Regular snooping is intended to discourage cheating.

I neither know nor care about you, your pathetic license violating
mud, or this Valheru. What I do care about is saying this:

If you think the way to catch cheaters is to regularly snoop players,
you are an idiot, and it would explain why your mud violates its
licensing terms and has little original code(from a players perspective,
I grant, but still...)

--
John J. Adelsberger III
j...@umr.edu

"The environment may require conventions be maintained beyond those required
for portability." -- Scott Nudds, in comp.lang.asm.x86

fal...@umdnj.edu

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

On 20 Jun 1997 19:24:01 GMT, John Adelsberger <j...@umr.edu> wrote:

>Michael Mendoza <mmen...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>: As for snooping? Regular snooping is intended to discourage cheating.
>
>I neither know nor care about you, your pathetic license violating
>mud, or this Valheru. What I do care about is saying this:
>
>If you think the way to catch cheaters is to regularly snoop players,
>you are an idiot, and it would explain why your mud violates its
>licensing terms and has little original code(from a players perspective,
>I grant, but still...)

Excuse me: what 'license violating' are you talking about?

And secondly, 'little original code' from a players
perspective? I'd say try it out, you know not of what you speak, but
you say you are a player. Retro is quite complicated and involved,
with basically a complete overhaul/rewrite of the mudlib, let alone
all the innovations, races, guilds, etc.

It seems for all you neither know nor care, you just wanted a
chance to vent your spleen without backing up your statements with any
kind of substance, i.e. making it just a flame and not a point. I
encourage you to please list all the muds that have the same code
Retro does, or which license is being violated.

Besides, if you were a true player, you'd note how often
things are being coded, which easily precludes 'regular snooping'.
We've all got lives, and other things to do on the mud than sit around
and snoop all day.

Roland Thorpe

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

Recently, I have read alot of posts from people complaining about
Retromud, therefore I decided to go there and visit myself. I am not one
to judge something without looking at both sides and experiencing it myself.

First let me say that I know none of the players or the admins of this
mud personally and only spent about 6 hours there before I became
fed up with the prevailing attitude of the person that replied
to the original post here, which is also the prevailing attitude
of the mud in general.

Retromud is the most hostile mud I have ever wondered onto as a newbie,
the players are mostly high level elitists who are apathetic to
newcomers. As a newbie you are totally ignored when asking for help, and
are castigated if you protest about such treatment. I realize that
it is touted as a hard mud, but the attitude of the players here
is quite representative of some the complaints I have seen on this mud.

I did find this mud unique in its approach, and interesting from
my short time there, but it also had the most buggiest code I have ever
seen on a mud , which was surprising since the players on this mud frown
on newbies asking questions for help. There is no help channel or newbie
channel for this mud btw.

The attitude of the admins and wizards, unfortunately support the hostile
attitude mentioned above. Therefore I was not surprised after my short
visit there of the complaints that I had heard.

May be a good mud if you can take the abuse. As comparison, this mud is
the exact opposite of 3 Kingdoms excellent approach towards bringing
newbies up to speed.

These comments are of course my opinion, do not mind talking peacefully
with anyone about my experiences in Retromud.

fal...@umdnj.edu wrote:

: On 20 Jun 1997 19:24:01 GMT, John Adelsberger <j...@umr.edu> wrote:

: >Michael Mendoza <mmen...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
: >
: >: As for snooping? Regular snooping is intended to discourage cheating.
: >
: >I neither know nor care about you, your pathetic license violating

Roland Thorpe

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

For those looking for a fun mud to play on, I think this thread and
any future ones clearly point out.

RETROmud is not the place to go!

unless you are absolutely retentively inclined ;)!

James Novak

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

> Recently, I have read alot of posts from people complaining about
> Retromud, therefore I decided to go there and visit myself. I am not one
> to judge something without looking at both sides and experiencing it myself.
>
> First let me say that I know none of the players or the admins of this
> mud personally and only spent about 6 hours there before I became
> fed up with the prevailing attitude of the person that replied
> to the original post here, which is also the prevailing attitude
> of the mud in general.

Roland, are you sure you were playing the same RetroMud I amd
currently on?

> Retromud is the most hostile mud I have ever wondered onto as a
newbie,
> the players are mostly high level elitists who are apathetic to
> newcomers. As a newbie you are totally ignored when asking for
help, and
> are castigated if you protest about such treatment. I realize that
> it is touted as a hard mud, but the attitude of the players here
> is quite representative of some the complaints I have seen on this
mud. > > I did find this mud unique in its approach, and interesting
from > my short time there, but it also had the most buggiest code I
have ever > seen on a mud , which was surprising since the players on
this mud frown > on newbies asking questions for help. There is no
help channel or newbie > channel for this mud btw. > > The attitude
of the admins and wizards, unfortunately support the hostile >
attitude mentioned above. Therefore I was not surprised after my
short > visit there of the complaints that I had heard. > > May be a
good mud if you can take the abuse. As comparison, this mud is > the
exact opposite of 3 Kingdoms excellent approach towards bringing >
newbies up to speed. > > These comments are of course my opinion,
do not mind talking peacefully > with anyone about my experiences in
Retromud. > >

First off, as for how the players react to newbies. I was a newbie a
few months ago, and any question that I asked was either answered
almost immediately, or I was informed which help file (which is very
extensive I might add) to find my answer in.
As for the admin having hostile attitudes, yes the mud has quite a
few bugs in it, but that's because of constant upgrades and mods that
the admin/wizes make to improve the playability and enjoyment of the
game. So, it is resonable to expect that they are not likely to answer
many questions, especially when so many other experienced players are
around.
The mud does have several high level, elitest characters on it. If the
MUD is as bad as you say it is, why would anyone spend over a year
playing it (which is how long it take to reach some of those high
levels)?

IMHO, perhaps you weren't being helped or responded to because you
were being:
A) obnoxious
B) not asking the right questions
C) not using the right channels ( ex: retro channel or chat channel.
T hat's what they're there for.)

Just my $.02 to support one of the best MUDs I've played on.

FastJack, the 18th level reaver devil who loves RetroMud

James Novak (jno...@wi.tds.net)

Jay Moretz

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

In article ,

str...@Radix.Net (Roland Thorpe) wrote:

> Recently, I have read alot of posts from people complaining about
> Retromud, therefore I decided to go there and visit myself. I am not one
> to judge something without looking at both sides and experiencing it myself.
>
> Retromud is the most hostile mud I have ever wondered onto as a newbie,
> the players are mostly high level elitists who are apathetic to
> newcomers. As a newbie you are totally ignored when asking for help, and
> are castigated if you protest about such treatment. I realize that
> it is touted as a hard mud, but the attitude of the players here
> is quite representative of some the complaints I have seen on this mud.

I have played Retromud for at least 6 months now, and I must say it is
the best MUD I have ever played. I do not know why Mr. Strider believes
the MUD is unfriendly and elite. I have always felt welcome, even when I
first began. The game consists mostly of mid-level players, but with 100
player levels, I can see where Mr. Strider might think everyone is high
level. All the players I know (and I know almost all of them) are more
than willing to help new players out with information and instruction. We
all believe, however, that in order to enjoy the MUD, new players should
advance on their own, and not just dragged around behind a highbie and
handed Exp.

> I did find this mud unique in its approach, and interesting from
> my short time there, but it also had the most buggiest code I have ever
> seen on a mud , which was surprising since the players on this mud frown
> on newbies asking questions for help. There is no help channel or newbie
> channel for this mud btw.

Mr. Strider is correct: there is no help or newbie channels on Retromud.
There are, however, extensive help files and the Retro channel, which is
listened to by almost everyone. This channel is accessable starting at
1st level! No having to advance before being able to ask for assistance.
Many of us feel that a separate newbie channel would simply serve to
separate newbies and oldbies, which we are not al all interested in
doing.

I am also confused as to why Mr. Strider thinks the code for Retromud is
buggy. I will certainly not say it is without flaw (what code is?) but it
*is* the most extensive and efficient code I have seen. Our wizards work
tirelessly to improve things we players don't even know is wrong, such as
rewriting the Score or Combat codes to get more speed out of it and to
reduce processor load. Retromud is also *extremely* stable... I can't
even remember the last time it crashed.

> The attitude of the admins and wizards, unfortunately support the hostile
> attitude mentioned above. Therefore I was not surprised after my short
> visit there of the complaints that I had heard.

This statement, I'm happy to say, I can disagree with the most strongly.
The wizards of Retromud are among the most accessible anywhere. All of
the wizards communicate with the players, both through news posts and on
the channels. The wizards will listen to players ideas and concerns and
address them with respect and speed.

> These comments are of course my opinion, do not mind talking peacefully
> with anyone about my experiences in Retromud.

I also do not mind sharing my wonderful experiences on Retromud. However,
the proof, as they say, is in the pudding. Come visit Retromud at
retromud.org:3000 and see for yourself!

Jay Moretz
rdar...@twave.net
Armand on Retromud

sh...@wizrealm.com

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

In article <5on07a$2...@news1.radix.net>,

To start off.. I have been playing at retro for a little over a year and
3 months.. With the exception of the newbies who 1) spam channels or 2)
are completely rude to players, most people will help newbies. They will
not necesairly take them around for exp, but they WILL answer questions
about the mud in general, about the best way to get started, etc.

The poster of the above article was rude to the players and he
continually spammed the channels. Going on to a mud, demanding help, is
not the best way to get help.

-shaen

SJG

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

>>Michael Mendoza <mmen...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>
>>If you think the way to catch cheaters is to regularly snoop players,
>>you are an idiot, and it would explain why your mud violates its
>>licensing terms and has little original code(from a players perspective,
>>I grant, but still...)

Hmmm... little original code from a player perspective? The only mud
that Retro seems to even remotely resemble is BatMUD (I believe Retro is a
derivative of the Bat code a long time back). However, the updates are
fast and furious and the two muds have long ago diverged. Just read the
in-mud newsgroups to see all the code changes. I have only browsed the mud
(I haven't had the time to start a character in full), but even at level 1
my posted idea was implemented within a few weeks. Nice response, I'd say!
I'd suggest that anyone interested should most certainly check this mud
out, regardless of the flames that pop up every once in awhile. I've
spoken with Talien before (in-mud) and have rarely seen him go bonkers
either in the chat channels or in-mud news.

SJG

Bob Bergin

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

First off i have had my bouts with the administration believe me i
know how bad the so called "elitest" additude can be and it compares not
to oterplaces... being a batmudrefugee(tm?) this mud is a warmfuzzy mud in
comparison. granted we dont always get waht we want as a mater of fact we
hardly ever get what we want but then isnt that the point see how fare you
can go with what you are given?
The players there are first rate ive never found a mud that has
had better ones ever. the point of newbieismt is to learn the mud. all
of the highbees there went through it. they realise that this is a
nessacery part of the mud. when i first started playing on retro i went
trough it as well. Let me tell you I learned! people are more than
willing to answer questions but you have to ask nicely and not whine about
highbees not getting you experience thats not their job. that is your
job.
dont bitch about what you dont understand. the coders of retromud
have spent literally YEARS making retro an intricate mud and three hours
doent come near close enough to even get a glimpse at the tip of the
iceburg.

Again i invite anyone to see what retro is truely all about by
loging on and talking to us and maybe even playing a bit :)
.
*rasberry*

One who knows others is knowledgable;
One who knows the self is enlightened.
One who overcomes others has phisical might;
One who overcomes the self is strong.
One who knows contentment is rich;
One who acts strongly has will power.
One who does not loose where one belongs lasts long;
One who dies without parishing has longevity.
From the Tao Te Ching

Mike Stalnaker

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Well.. I can say that after playing retro for six months, it's a lot
of fun, and if people are looking for a tough mud, I'd highly recommend
it.

Do I always agree with the admins? Nope. Do I think they're doing their
damndest to provide an excellent game to the mudding public? Damn straight.

Strider/Roland - TANSTAFFL, son.. There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.
I help newbies as best I can, as do many players I know. However, I will NOT
help a newbie who is rude, constantly bombarding questions over channels
when they could take the time to READ HELP, etc.

Will retro coddle you? hell no. Will it give you a lot of enjoyment, and
some pretty damn cool players to work with? Yup.

You decide.

--Mike/Incanus on most muds.

drms...@mindspring.com

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

In article <5om5cr$c...@news1.radix.net>,

str...@Radix.Net (Roland Thorpe) wrote:

> Recently, I have read alot of posts from people complaining about
> Retromud, therefore I decided to go there and visit myself. I am not one
> to judge something without looking at both sides and experiencing it myself.
>
> First let me say that I know none of the players or the admins of this
> mud personally and only spent about 6 hours there before I became
> fed up with the prevailing attitude of the person that replied
> to the original post here, which is also the prevailing attitude
> of the mud in general.
>
> Retromud is the most hostile mud I have ever wondered onto as a newbie,
> the players are mostly high level elitists who are apathetic to
> newcomers. As a newbie you are totally ignored when asking for help, and
> are castigated if you protest about such treatment. I realize that
> it is touted as a hard mud, but the attitude of the players here
> is quite representative of some the complaints I have seen on this mud.

Well, I am the highest player on Retromud, so according to you I am a
"high level elitist," but I personally try to help a great deal of
newbies. Although it is impossible to answer every question asked, I try
to answer as many as I can. As far as I know, newbies are only
castigated for asking questions which are dealt with in the many help
files or questions that were recently answered publicly, and being
unkind because of this happening is rare.

> I did find this mud unique in its approach, and interesting from
> my short time there, but it also had the most buggiest code I have ever
> seen on a mud , which was surprising since the players on this mud frown
> on newbies asking questions for help. There is no help channel or newbie
> channel for this mud btw.

I don't know what you are referring to when you say "the most buggiest
code I have ever seen on a mud," because there are few bugs and those are
being quickly fixed. As to the lack of a help or newbie channel, this is
because you should feel free to ask questions either on the main channel,
your guild channel, or the chat channel.

- Case (drms...@mindspring.com)

Michael Hjerppe

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

In <5om5cr$c...@news1.radix.net> str...@Radix.Net (Roland Thorpe)
writes:

I'll make a disclaimer here. I do not work for RetroMUD in any
capacity, nor do I know any of the wizards or administrators in a
personal capacity.

>Retromud is the most hostile mud I have ever wondered onto as a
>newbie, the players are mostly high level elitists who are apathetic
>to newcomers. As a newbie you are totally ignored when asking for
>help, and are castigated if you protest about such treatment. I
>realize that it is touted as a hard mud, but the attitude of the
>players here is quite representative of some the complaints I have
>seen on this mud.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience when you tried RetroMUD,
it's quite unlike my experience when I first started playing about ten
days ago.

When I first started it was a daunting experience, RetroMUD is
very different from most of the other MUD's I've tried. There are
sixty races to choose from, a large number of guilds to consider, and a
unique zone system that includes six different worlds. I was a bit
bewildered by the array of choices at first but I was able to get help
from a number of players when I asked questions over the retro channel,
(the retro channel is the general mud channel). The older players
showed me which areas I could hunt in, told me, in detail, what I
needed to do at first and even took me out in their groups so I could
get a feel for the combat system and the world. I still had questions
over the next couple of days, but was always able to get an answer
whether it be from a player or a wizard. Some players even stopped
what they were doing to come and help me if I needed it. All in all, I
would have to say that my beginnings in RetroMUD were one of the most
pleasant I've ever experienced.

>I did find this mud unique in its approach, and interesting from
>my short time there, but it also had the most buggiest code I have
>ever seen on a mud , which was surprising since the players on this
>mud frown on newbies asking questions for help. There is no help
>channel or newbie channel for this mud btw.

In the ten days I've been playing RetroMUD the only bugs I've
come across are the ones that are posted about as being fixed.
Granted, I'm not a programmer, but I've been playing MUD's for a long
time and feel fairly capable of being able to tell when a game is
really buggy. I'd say, in my opinion, that RetroMUD is one of the most
stable and cleanly coded MUD's that I've ever played.

As for there being no help or newbie channel, well, I used the
main channel, retro, and tells to get answers to my questions. No one
seemed to mind when I asked and I certainly wasn't yelled at for
asking.

There are some really good help files available for newbies who
may feel a bit lost. They are clearly written and, in many cases, full
of examples to ease understanding. Messages are sent to you during the
character generation process telling you which help files would be good
to read. I found this incredibly helpful since on other MUD's I've
been to one has to go digging around for the help files that one needs
to start.

Of note, as well, is a really neat Master/Apprentice program set
up for the guilds. This is an incredible help for newbies. They can
find a higher level player who will take them on as an Apprentice and
help them to train, hunt and just basically learn the ropes.

>The attitude of the admins and wizards, unfortunately support the
>hostile attitude mentioned above. Therefore I was not surprised after
>my short visit there of the complaints that I had heard.

I haven't met any hostile admins or wizards in my time at
RetroMUD. The times that I've used tells to ask them for help with
something they've dropped what they were doing and come to help me.
Not that I would expect them to do this all the time, but it was very
refreshing to see.

>May be a good mud if you can take the abuse. As comparison, this mud
>is the exact opposite of 3 Kingdoms excellent approach towards
>bringing newbies up to speed.

I've never played 3 Kingdoms so I can't really comment on the
comparison. I have, however, played many, many MUD's in the past seven
years and I rate RetroMUD as one of the most fun, intriguing,
challenging and friendly environments I have ever had the pleasure to
come across.

>These comments are of course my opinion, do not mind talking
>peacefully with anyone about my experiences in Retromud.

The above replies are my opinion as well.

Mike
(Korik, Kallendor and others on RetroMUD. If you stop by give me a tell
and I'll try and help you get started.)

B0dyk0unt

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

I would like to reply to the unjust, unfair, and really biased post made
about Retromud.

Retromud is one of the most fun and creative mud i have ever played. Other
muds i have played is too easy compared to retromud and i wind up leaving
the mud because of it. Playing retromud is a challenge, if you're not up
to the challenge of playing and would rather be pampered like a baby,
retromud is not for you.

Mr. Roland, Rolgar whatever your name is:
As a newbie, you have been very biased against this mud from the start.
I know most retro players helps out newbies when they can, and people have
answered your questions. However you have responded with incessent
bitching and moaning. Threatening people with spam over the general
channel is not a good way to get help. It ends up in you getting ignored.
Obviously you have not read help_conduct. Who would ever help a person who
is hostile, rude, and has a nasty attitude? People of retro would love a
large playerbase and it is not a policy of retro to turn down newbies. We
of retro are encouraged to help out because retro is fun and we agree many
should enjoy it. Yes there are times when people cannot help you out
because they are busy doing important things elsewhere or in a situation
of being unable to help out. It is because of people with bad attitudes
like yourself that strays other potential players away from this mud.
Retro is one of the few i play and hold dearest to my heart. While i do
not get along with everyone, players and admins of retro have been very
fair and just to me, as well as being helpful at most times. In retro, we
have our bad times and we have many good ones. Playing for just 6 hours
does not give you the right to badmouth this wonderful mud. The coding
staff are very creative and talented, and any buggy code is resolved
immediately. Your moronic posts about this mud have discouraged its
players and lowered our morale, even some people getting pissed off
because we take this insult very seriously and to our heart. It hurts.
Most namely you have insulted one of the greatest coder and admin i have
ever known, Alaron. Because of you, he has taken time off the mud and i am
very afraid we might lose him. It is very frustrating and discouraging to
a coder to have helped create a wonderful thing as retro and have it
bashed, berated, and insulted with idiotic posts like yours. I will not
idly stand by and let you ruin this mud nor will i let you make us lose
one of our best coders.

If you like leeching and being forcefed with exp, pampered like a baby you
are, i suggest you go play your silly easy muds and find more easy ones to
enjoy in your 6-hour judgement periods. We don't care if you're a hotshot
from another mud. In retro you have to earn the right to be respected, no
one could respect a whiny person with a negative attitude. In retro you
must earn your place as a player, not rely on others to do things for you.
Retro has one of the most complex coding and ingenuity i have ever seen on
a mud, and if your simple mind can't comprehend it's greatness, this mud
is not for you. Retro does not have a hostile attitude and complaints as
you have stated in your posts. Those fabrications of yours came only from
you against retro. Stop trying to ruin our mud and hinder others from
trying out this mud. And for all those out there listening, please come
try us out for yourself and decide if this mud is all the lies this person
says. You will find it to be untrue.

addy: retromud.org port 3000
(204.112.208.2)

-Tical of Retro and Gate, and damn proud of it.

Ryan Brown

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

There was something else I wanted to say, but forgot to include in my
last post. This is along the same lines as Tical posted. I just read
my news, and I see that Alaron (this really cool guy, the fixes so much
stuff on Retro) has had enough of this bad-mouthing of this MUD, that he
and all the other wizzes on Retro have worked so hard on, is taking a
break for a while, and if Retro loses him, I know a lot of people that
are gonna be real pissed at this Strider person. These wizzes give us
players a really unique place to play our characters at, and I really
appreciate that. Sorry for having to post again, but I somehow left
that part out of my last post. Oh, and RetroMud has the one and only
CAL....You have to check this guy out....He is really cool...Come one,
come all...see the amazing Cal in action...*giggle*

Thanks for listening, come check us out..

Telnet to -- retromud.org:3000

-Kalice

T. Lodes

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Well let me start with i dont normally post or read these things in news
groups, but I thought this deserved my attention
I have played retro for many many years. I hate the a increadable amout
of respect for the Admins and wizzes on the game.
Now the clames that we are hostile and treat new commers badly
Well on retro I dont think newbies are treated badly. If they are acting
polite and not hostile themselves. I have seen new players spaming retro
with some pretty hateful things. I know myself I do not tolorate
somebody out the blue attacking me no I will not help them. Also many
times people who say they wanted help or questions answered really only
want some player higher level to drag them around and get them exp and
dues. I do not think this is right it breeds high lev players that dont
know the game.
Most players are more than happy to offer advice tips and point the way
in gettin started, what helps you need to read, whats the best newbie
areas, good skills/spells to have ect things of this nature. It may take
a lil bit to get someone to answer there are other things going on in
the game people are in partys and in battle or even in conversations. So
it isnt always instant but i have noticed if the newbe isnt hostile
him/her self then he/she isn't reacted to in a hostile manner. From what
i have heard this guy was pretty hostile from the beginning. If you dont
go in with an open mind and ya already have an attitude is that fair??

Actually is pretty anoying to read all of these news post for the first
time. i'd have to say most of them are pretty off base
Retro is a fine mud. it is diffrent, it isnt instant power, it does have
rules.. but it is one of the best muds i have ever played.. most of the
players of retro are old mudders who have settled down here after
mudding other places.
I have seen countless muds Retro is the one i enjoy playing
there are no tyrants . NO wizzes and mortals dont always agree but we
all have our own intrests dont we

T. Lodes

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Oh yah I guess I should add...
for those of you lookin for a challange and aren't clueless
why dontcha pop on by with an open mind
most of us dont bite

you may be susprised to find ya actually like it or atleast are somewhat
impressed

retromud.org 3000

Hellcatt Jath'che

( hate it when i hit send to soon, ment to put this at the end of my
first post)

T. Lodes

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Its a shame people cant keep open minds

Hellcatt Jath'che

( just wanted to make sure this was signed hate for people not to know
who to flame )

dra...@hotmail.com

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Well, there's not really much else to say about the recent comments and
slandering by Rolgar or whatever his name is. Most of it has already been
said by the players. Now ask yourself, Rolgar and everyone else who
actually believed Rolgar's totally inaccurate posts. What kind of
"hostile MUD" that apparently 'doesn't like newbies' would go to this
much trouble to support their MUD so that more newbies will come? Doesn't
make much sense to me. Oh, and another thing. The comment about wizards
and admins also being hostile. That's a bunch of crap. There is a bug
command that players can report bugs with. I'm happy to say that most of
these bugs are fixed within the same day they are reported. When a time
comes that a big decision must be made, the topic is discussed thoroughly
before actions are taken. Yeah, this is all very nice. But the big thing
is that wizards ENCOURAGE players to help newbies. What kind of 'hostile'
wizard towards newbies does that? Not all players help newbies, but I
know quite a few who answer their questions or even take them around in
their parties to show them around, etc. Scyld is a great example. In his
I think that can safely be called 'offering help to newbies'. I don't
have much more to say. I encourage ANY mudder to come to retromud and try
it out. If it's too hard for you, simply don't play there. You can have
your opinions about the MUD. I don't care if you think the MUD sucks.
People have their own opinions on what makes a good MUD. That's their
opinion. But when you publically insult the MUD, basing your insults
solely on your OPINION...That's what gets me pissed off. I work hard to
try to make RETROMUD a better MUD. I don't get paid for it. Alaron,
Talien, or Rayzam don't get paid for it. None of the arches or other
wizards get paid for it. We do it simply for the pride of having one of
the best MUDs in the world. When our code gets insulted, we are not happy
about it, I think I can speak for every wizard there. If you don't like
RetroMUD, I recommend keeping your opinions to yourself.

Check it out... retromud.org port 3000

-Draceus

sh...@wizrealm.com

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

To start off, i am posting this from another 50th level char who plays on
retro, and has also been a wizard on retro, who does not have net
access.. -shaen ---------------------------

My character name is Demonknight Soulraper and my info is at the bottom
of the post.

I can not begin to explain the outrage that the post from the player
character Rolgar
my character name is Demonknight Soulraper and my info is at
the bottom of the post.

Rolgars name is Roland Thorpe and his email is str...@Radix.Net
just in case you needed a refresher

I can not begin to explain the outrage that the post from the player
character Rolgar has incited in me. However, clearing the air and
clearing retromud's name is more important to me than my personal
feelings.

This post will have 2 major parts to it:
1) The positives of retromud- What I like about it.
2) A response to each specific point of the player character Rolgar's post

Things I like about retromud:

1) virtually no playerkilling 2) friendly players and wizards of all
levels 3) wizards/admin that RESPOND to players needs and carry on
thoughtful discussions on such subjects of game balence, guilds, mud
commands, events, sports, news, etc. anything that needs to be talked
about can be resolved QUICKLY. I have never seen a mud besides RETROMUD
that care so much what the players thought from NEWBIE to the highest
level player, everyones opinion counts equally. 4) a multi-guild system
that allows for any type of character 5) news groups on the mud that
players and wizzes can resolve issues on 6) virtually no bugs, we have a
totally awesom wiz named Alaron on RETROMUD He along with other wizards
have fixed 99.5% of the bugs on retromud. In fact most of the time
Alaron will post on the inform newsgroup with "i changed blah not to use
a shadow". And he tweaks stuff that players dont even notice to improve
the mud and make it easier to use. He rewrites functions from scratch
just to reduce_lag/increase_speed It isnt uncommed for him to speedf up
multiple functions by a factor of 2 or more in a day. We are very lucky
to have him. 7) Wizard who take great pride in their work and if they can
not fix something right away, a "hey we are working on that" comes your
way and an expected completion date can be given most of the time.

8) The HELP on the mud is EXCELLENT. There is documentation for nearly
everything. If the help on something isnt working it is a PRIORITY fix.
For NEWBIES there is "help getting started" and "help newbie" and "help
topics" just to name a few. Help can be asked for on the RETRO channel
which is accessible to NEWBIES. A level 1 player can use any channel
that is not guild specific. Other help for newbies include race
suggestions for each guild. Also even a level 0 player can use the tell
command to ask for advice. 9) reincarnation is also a very nice feature
of the mud. It is the ability to take over 90% of your exp and play a
different type of character. 10)The dues system: this encourages players
to take pride in their guild. A certain amount dues is necessary to
advance in your guild. Also they figure into a player leading a guild so
if you have alot of dues then that will help a player lead his/her guild
because he/she has "paid his/her dues". Also this encourage a bit more
roleplaying so players dont constantly reinc into the "flavor of the
week".

I think you get the idea that i like this mud. I like how it runs
the guild system, wiz/player interaction, and the people that play
it. Also I want to address the pointss that Rolgar talked about in
his post about RETROMUD.

First Rolgar mentioned he became fed up with the previaling attitude of
the mud. I think I have already illustrated a few means of commuinication
for fair and open discussion. He mentions this perception of the mud was
mainly perpetuated by the person who replied to his original post.
(Unforetunately I dont know who Rolgar is refering to as my AOL account
is down.) However, you should try to never let 1 person ruin your fun on
a mud or in real life activities. If you do you will miss out on many
great opportunities. (A general life lesson)

Second, Rolgar feels that RETROMUD is a hostile environment. I have
also illustrated in my likes of retro that this is not the case. There
are help files upon help files, player-killing is virutally non-existant,
even most aggressive monsters are coded not to attack players under level
14. Also, I have been playing this mud for 2-3 years not and I have NEVER
seen a NEWBIE castigated for asking a question. Rolgar is right about us
not having a newbie channel though, but WE DONT NEED IT. Any question can
be EASILY answered on the RETRO channel. Most muds that have a separate
newbie channel has that same channel turned off/ignored by most of the
mid/high level players. Oh btw to help newbies out you get exp for
exploring on this RETROMUD. A player can get to level 13 here just by
running around the mud. Now I ask you "can it get any easier than that?"

Third Rolgar claims we have the "most buggiest code". Well when i was a
newbie 2 years ago or so bugs were present on the mud. Some good some
bad, but the bugs that do exist on RETRMOUD are nowhere close to
inhibiting, then or now. Oh and by the way, here we give out task points
for reporting bugs. With enough task points you can get cool titles or
sometimes even wishes. (wishes enhance the power of a character) Also a
druid can turn a single task point into up to 30,000 gold for a newbie.
That is just plain awesome.

Well I have showed the good points about RETRMUD and hopefully
have shed light on Rolgars 6 hours visit. To any of you reading this
feel to ask me personally for help. I will do what i can. The help you
need like i mentioned it already build into the mud though.

Demonknight Soulraper
David W Pryzbyla
gu...@interaccess.com

Ron Archer

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

Come on guys. No one except people on Retromud (20-25
on average) care about what is happening on Retromud.
Coming here to bitch about things is just annoying.
Don't you have a bitch board on your mud where your
annoying players can annoy your annoying admin about
your annoying mud?

Grin

John Adelsberger

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

fal...@umdnj.edu wrote:

: >If you think the way to catch cheaters is to regularly snoop players,
: >you are an idiot, and it would explain why your mud violates its

: Excuse me: what 'license violating' are you talking about?

Oh, the one saying that certain people must be on the login screen
of _any_ mud derived from your codebase, no matter how extensively
modified?:)

: Besides, if you were a true player, you'd note how often
: things are being coded, which easily precludes 'regular snooping'.
: We've all got lives, and other things to do on the mud than sit around
: and snoop all day.

If you weren't a complete fucking moron, you'd have read the post I
responded to in its entirety, and noted that one of your arches says
you _do_ snoop players regularly. Are you the liar, or is he? Either
way, you've got at _least_ one lying admin.

Malachite NightWind

Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97

First off I'm using my friends account in order to send this. If you
wish to send me hate mail or anything otherwise send it to the follwoing
e-mail address:

ltcdr...@aol.com

Second Off I appologize to all my fellow Retromud players for posting so
late in responce to the post Roland mad.

Now here are the facts:

Fact #1: Retromud is a hard mud. Yes it is, you have to work to get
ahead. Character Scyld has already posted an excellent method to get
some quick exp to help you get started. But with hard work and good
playing will really be worth it.

Fact #2: Players WILL HELP NEWBIES. Roland's method of 'asking' for help
was totally the WRONG way to get help. Roland bitched, moaned and
harrased the other players. By doing this you give everyone a reason to
use the 'ignore' command on you. If you just ask nicely and be polite
like any civil person is, you'll find Retro to be quite a pleasant
atmosphere.

Fact #3: Retromud is 99% bug proof. All coders are human and by default
all humans are imperfect thus there WILL be a bug or two. It's silly to
believe that such an advanced Mud like Retro (Consisting of 100MB+ of
Code, from what I hear) is totally bug proof. However, we have Wizzes
that work their asses off to update, improve, do everything in the book
to keep Retro a smooth running game.

Fact #4: There is no Muding experience like Retromud. I have been on a
couple Muds including BatMud and Gate, and neither compair to the
experience that I have had here. Don't take Roland's opinion at face
value. Come to retromud.org Port: 3000 and see for yourself.

Thank you,

Martin Dessart
RetroMud Char: Macenthe Soulcaster
Martin Dessart <ltcdr...@aol.com>

John Adelsberger

Jun 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/30/97

dra...@hotmail.com wrote:
: Well, there's not really much else to say about the recent comments and

: slandering by Rolgar or whatever his name is. Most of it has already been
: said by the players. Now ask yourself, Rolgar and everyone else who
: actually believed Rolgar's totally inaccurate posts. What kind of
: "hostile MUD" that apparently 'doesn't like newbies' would go to this
: much trouble to support their MUD so that more newbies will come? Doesn't
: make much sense to me. Oh, and another thing. The comment about wizards

Theres a claim - if the mud is well supported by its addicts, it must be
a good mud. Moron.

: and admins also being hostile. That's a bunch of crap. There is a bug

: command that players can report bugs with. I'm happy to say that most of

Oh, a bug command. Its not like every mud worth telnetting to has one.
They get fixed? Wow, the staff, if moronic, might actuallly know their
code. So what? What does it have to do with the staff being friendly?
Absolutely nothing. You are a moron.

: is that wizards ENCOURAGE players to help newbies. What kind of 'hostile'

: wizard towards newbies does that? Not all players help newbies, but I

Oh, wow, its like every other mud in history. Spank off, lamebrain.

: your opinions about the MUD. I don't care if you think the MUD sucks.

Then why do you respond angrily to anyone who says so?:-)

: People have their own opinions on what makes a good MUD. That's their

: opinion. But when you publically insult the MUD, basing your insults
: solely on your OPINION...That's what gets me pissed off. I work hard to

Oh, you dont mind if they have an opinion, so long as they don't tell
anyone. Thats an interesting version of free speech you have there.
Moron.

: try to make RETROMUD a better MUD. I don't get paid for it. Alaron,

Neither does almost any other mud admin get paid - I dont see them bitching
here like a little kid with no money for ice cream. Moron.

: Talien, or Rayzam don't get paid for it. None of the arches or other

: wizards get paid for it. We do it simply for the pride of having one of
: the best MUDs in the world. When our code gets insulted, we are not happy

Fine - don't be happy. I don't give a shit. Don't you have even the
slightest clue that nobody gives a shit about your little mud, and nobody
is going to quake in fear of you?

: about it, I think I can speak for every wizard there. If you don't like

: RetroMUD, I recommend keeping your opinions to yourself.

Oh, gee, are you going to bomb my house? You sound like a mafia don from
a bad movie. Either get a clue or shut up before I ridicule you to
death:-)

John Adelsberger

Jun 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/30/97

Malachite NightWind <mala...@mindspring.com> wrote:

: Fact #3: Retromud is 99% bug proof. All coders are human and by default

Evidence? If it is a fact, you better be able to demonstrate. Otherwise,
nobody cares, b/c it is your opinion.

: believe that such an advanced Mud like Retro (Consisting of 100MB+ of

: Code, from what I hear) is totally bug proof. However, we have Wizzes

Not just code, it's Code:-) 100+MB? Then it is bloated. For crying out
loud, I could write a complete database and sales frontend system in less
code than that, and no mud is so complex. Oracle probably isn't that
fucking huge. Either they're lying, or they're including db files that
are really data and not code, or else, just maybe, their code is bloated
shit that doesn't deserve to be run on any respectable machine:-)

: Fact #4: There is no Muding experience like Retromud. I have been on a

: couple Muds including BatMud and Gate, and neither compair to the
: experience that I have had here. Don't take Roland's opinion at face
: value. Come to retromud.org Port: 3000 and see for yourself.

Ooh, BatMud and Gate - while you're at it, why don't you brag about your
knowlege of Microsoft Word(if you're that advanced a life form:) Bat
is a kiddie game. Who cares?

When you have some evidence, or maybe even just some basic information, to
offer, tell the world. While you're just sucking the admin of Retro's
cocks for xp, shut your mouth - not b/c I say so, but as a favor to
yourself:-)

John Adelsberger

Jun 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/30/97

Ryan Brown <ry...@gte.net> wrote:

: There was something else I wanted to say, but forgot to include in my

: last post. This is along the same lines as Tical posted. I just read

Not surprising, since you play a diku-wannabe - your intellect is
closely approximated by zero, or else you have a serious mental illness:)

: my news, and I see that Alaron (this really cool guy, the fixes so much

: stuff on Retro) has had enough of this bad-mouthing of this MUD, that he
: and all the other wizzes on Retro have worked so hard on, is taking a
: break for a while, and if Retro loses him, I know a lot of people that
: are gonna be real pissed at this Strider person. These wizzes give us

Why don't you beat him up? You can rape his corpse, too. Pissed off?
Who gives a shit? You've been on a fucking mud too long.

anon...@concentric.net

Jun 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/30/97

dra...@hotmail.com wrote:

[snip]

> said by the players. Now ask yourself, Rolgar and everyone else who
> actually believed Rolgar's totally inaccurate posts. What kind of
> "hostile MUD" that apparently 'doesn't like newbies' would go to this
> much trouble to support their MUD so that more newbies will come?

I dunno.. maybe a MUD that needed new blood and that notified
its power-hungry players that their MUD was getting slammed... oh,
and there were probably a few favors tossed in to those that
posted.

Bad publicity is good publicity and all that...

David L. Opsahl

Jun 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/30/97

> Either get a clue or shut up before I ridicule you to
>death:-)

>--

>John J. Adelsberger III
>j...@umr.edu

Ridiculed to death by a 12 year old with an infantile brain who jacks
off into his own mouh and swallows while making unproven grandiose
claims about himself?
OOOooooohhhhhh, everyone just quaking in if fear. Get over yourself
dude or you'll never have a life.

----=| David L. Opsahl |=----

drms...@mindspring.com

Jul 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/1/97

In article <5p77om$jjk$3...@news.cc.umr.edu>,

John Adelsberger <j...@umr.edu> wrote:

> dra...@hotmail.com wrote:
> : Well, there's not really much else to say about the recent comments and
> : slandering by Rolgar or whatever his name is. Most of it has already been
> : said by the players. Now ask yourself, Rolgar and everyone else who

> : actually believed Rolgar's totally inaccurate posts. What kind of
> : "hostile MUD" that apparently 'doesn't like newbies' would go to this
> a bad movie. Either get a clue or shut up before I ridicule you to

> death:-)
>
> --
> John J. Adelsberger III
> j...@umr.edu

Hey, I know who you are, John! You're the guy who invented that kid's
toy that plays insults when you push the buttons. "Moron... moron...
dumbass... you suck!... you suck!... moron"

Doug Masson

Jul 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/1/97

With regard to Retromud, I have to stridently disagree with the poster who
found Retromud to be tough on newbies. I am not too far removed from being
a newbie on Retromud (if I am removed at all) and I recall that Retro was
a bit tough to learn due to the richness and complexity of the worlds,
guilds, races, spells, skills, etc. However, I found that when I asked a
Retro veteran to do me a favor (always being mindful of the fact that it
was a favor) I don't know that I was ever turned away.

To be brief I will conclude by saying that Retro is a fun place to be and
a place with a fine sense of cameraderie. I simply had to respond to the
poster who had some reasonably scathing things to say about the MUD after
having spent a mere couple of hours on the MUD. Possibly the impression
that poster gave was that (s)he logged onto Retro and immediately began
spamming the channels for help without doing much in the way of trying to
figure things out for him/herself first.

--Doug
aka Mhoram

Douglas J. Masson, Esq. There is no windchill
dma...@iquest.net at absolute zero.
http://www.iquest.net/~dmasson/home.html

SJG

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97

In article <5p787r$jjk$4...@news.cc.umr.edu>,

>Ooh, BatMud and Gate - while you're at it, why don't you brag about your
>knowlege of Microsoft Word(if you're that advanced a life form:) Bat
>is a kiddie game. Who cares?

I'm curious where you play? I'd like to see what a non-kiddie mud
is like...

SJG

dragon

Jul 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/3/97

SJG (geer...@rintintin.Colorado.EDU) wrote:
: In article <5p787r$jjk$4...@news.cc.umr.edu>,

: SJG

Hi
Im not bashing retro in anyway, but if you want to try another mud
that is similar in some ways to old batmud (channels look same etc.)
Give Red Dragon a try.
Telnet:
reddragon.org 3000
Web:
http://www.reddragon.org

The machine is a designated P150 with 128megs or ram. The connection is
through multiple full t1's to the internet.

Regards,
Darkstaff

John Adelsberger

Jul 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/4/97

David L. Opsahl <scy...@mail.idt.net> wrote:

: Ridiculed to death by a 12 year old with an infantile brain who jacks

: off into his own mouh and swallows while making unproven grandiose
: claims about himself?

Grandiose claims? What were these, aside from deityhood?:) 12 year old?
Judging from your spelling, runon sentences, and email address, you are
likely not much older, whereas I am, by almost a decade:)

: OOOooooohhhhhh, everyone just quaking in if fear. Get over yourself

: dude or you'll never have a life.

Your temporal sense is impaired.

John Adelsberger

Jul 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/4/97

sh...@wizrealm.com wrote:

: Rolgars name is Roland Thorpe and his email is str...@Radix.Net

: just in case you needed a refresher

Gee, are we using tricks from the Gestapo playbook, or what?:-)
(You're welcome for the troll, kindly ignore it.)

: I can not begin to explain the outrage that the post from the player

: character Rolgar has incited in me. However, clearing the air and
: clearing retromud's name is more important to me than my personal
: feelings.

Nobody gives a shit. The air is only dirty around you because your
breath is bad, and retromud has no name to clear, outside of a few
players to whom it needs no clearing.

: This post will have 2 major parts to it:

: 1) The positives of retromud- What I like about it.
: 2) A response to each specific point of the player character Rolgar's post

Nice of you. You probably did well in "How to rubberstamp out an essay
in good form 101", right?

: that care so much what the players thought from NEWBIE to the highest

: level player, everyones opinion counts equally. 4) a multi-guild system

Ah, Communism at its best! Newbies? Nobody in his riht mind listens to them
about anything but newbie affairs, b/c they don't generally know jack shit
about the mud in question:)

Oh, a multi-guild system. Pardon me when I say, "Been there, done that.
It got boring."

: that allows for any type of character 5) news groups on the mud that

: players and wizzes can resolve issues on 6) virtually no bugs, we have a

No bugs? Have you ever written a software project bigger than printing
your own name? There _are_ bugs, known or otherwise, I assure you:-)

: totally awesom wiz named Alaron on RETROMUD He along with other wizards

: have fixed 99.5% of the bugs on retromud. In fact most of the time

99.5% - is this an exact figure? And is this known bugs or all of them?
If the latter, whose god did they consult in obtaining the figure? Did
they use a Tarot deck? Dice? Maybe a palm reading? Sorry, but most
operating systems have more bugs than that, so I don't believe your
mud is quite so bugfree.

: Alaron will post on the inform newsgroup with "i changed blah not to use

: a shadow". And he tweaks stuff that players dont even notice to improve

If your mud still relies on shadows, it isn't, from a code standpoint,
worth mentioning. The driver should always be compiled w/o shadow
support entirely, b/c it makes wiz cheats _too_ easy and does nothing
for the game.

: the mud and make it easier to use. He rewrites functions from scratch

: just to reduce_lag/increase_speed It isnt uncommed for him to speedf up
: multiple functions by a factor of 2 or more in a day. We are very lucky

Wow, he actually does some work. So what? Any admin worth the name does
at least some of such, and the ones worth having do it constantly.
Moreover, being a programmer by trade, I'll tell you flat out that a factor
of 2 is meaningless - reduction of code and or space complexity is only of
real meaning if you can reduce a problem of, say, size n, to say, size
log(n) or something similar - an improvement of 2 just means you should
have spent your time working a real job and improving the machine - the
average computer, as defined by what most people are buying, gets twice
as fast every 18 months, and it'd be easier to get the speed that way than
spending hours tweaking code that already works, unless you can get that
log or exponential speedup.

: 8) The HELP on the mud is EXCELLENT. There is documentation for nearly

: everything. If the help on something isnt working it is a PRIORITY fix.

I agree, that is a good thing.

: suggestions for each guild. Also even a level 0 player can use the tell

: command to ask for advice. 9) reincarnation is also a very nice feature

I never play any mud that resricts tell, b/c they all suck balls. As for
this reincarnation, it sounds to me like a Really Bad Idea[tm] for reasons
involving retaining players and also reasons involving pissing off people
by suddenly being the biggest badass in their guild w/o being in it for a
single minute.

: different type of character. 10)The dues system: this encourages players

: to take pride in their guild. A certain amount dues is necessary to
: advance in your guild. Also they figure into a player leading a guild so

Money for advancement - every mud I ever saw did this; changing the name
and pretending it makes players warm and fuzzy about their guild isn't
going to make it original.

: if you have alot of dues then that will help a player lead his/her guild

: because he/she has "paid his/her dues". Also this encourage a bit more

Lead? Leaders are those who are liked. Anyone can follow anyone on a mud,
unless, of course, such action would get you banned by the Fair Admins of
Retro[tm] :)

: I think you get the idea that i like this mud. I like how it runs

No, I thought you hated it but were being forced at gunpoint. Thanks
for clarifying.

: First Rolgar mentioned he became fed up with the previaling attitude of

: the mud. I think I have already illustrated a few means of commuinication
: for fair and open discussion. He mentions this perception of the mud was

Means of communication do not create said communication.

: mainly perpetuated by the person who replied to his original post.

: (Unforetunately I dont know who Rolgar is refering to as my AOL account

Ah, an AOLuser. No wonder.

: Second, Rolgar feels that RETROMUD is a hostile environment. I have

: also illustrated in my likes of retro that this is not the case. There

You like it, therefore it is friendly? Your logical depth astounds me.

: mid/high level players. Oh btw to help newbies out you get exp for

: exploring on this RETROMUD. A player can get to level 13 here just by
: running around the mud. Now I ask you "can it get any easier than that?"

Oh, hey, xp for looking at stuff. Do I get xp for creating aliases, too?
Please...

: sometimes even wishes. (wishes enhance the power of a character) Also a

: druid can turn a single task point into up to 30,000 gold for a newbie.
: That is just plain awesome.

Candy everybody wants...

David L. Opsahl

Jul 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/5/97

John Adelsberger <j...@umr.edu> wrote:

>Grandiose claims? What were these, aside from deityhood?:) 12 year old?
>Judging from your spelling, runon sentences, and email address, you are
>likely not much older, whereas I am, by almost a decade:)

I never knew that an e-mail address could be an age indicator. What
amazing powers of Phd. Watson'esque logic do you use to arrive at a
particular age for a given e-mail address?
You haven't read any John Steinbeck or Ernest Hemingway have you?
Otherwise you would know how to read long sentences. You might even
understand their rhythm and flow.
My most sincere apologies for surpassing your capacity. Please pardon
my poor spelling too. I never knew that all adults had perfect
spelling. I shall endeavor to attain the required proficiency that my
middle age adult status requires.

>Your temporal sense is impaired.

You are an arrogant pompous ass. At least you are sober this time.

>--
>John J. Adelsberger III
>j...@umr.edu

----=| David L. Opsahl |=----

John Adelsberger

Jul 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/5/97

David L. Opsahl <scy...@mail.idt.net> wrote:

: You haven't read any John Steinbeck or Ernest Hemingway have you?

: Otherwise you would know how to read long sentences. You might even
: understand their rhythm and flow.

Most Hemingway was short, blunt, and to the point. Most Steinbeck sucked
goat nads. I read most of both, and they were both a waste of time. I
could brag about the authors I _do_ like, trying to show off like you,
but I don't suffer from a pathetic inferiority complex.

By the way, even authors who _do_ write well with long sentences do so
with far more grace than I've seen in your so called style:) There is
a difference between long complex structures and runons with no structure
whatsoever, save that of a freight train on bad tracks.

: My most sincere apologies for surpassing your capacity. Please pardon

My capacity? The day you quit pretending that your importance is
related to the authors you've read, come back and talk - until then,
I assure you my 'capacity' will remain unchallenged by your poor
grasp of the language you speak and write.

: my poor spelling too. I never knew that all adults had perfect

: spelling. I shall endeavor to attain the required proficiency that my
: middle age adult status requires.

Please do. Mine is, barring typing mistakes, correct, and I am probably
half your age:)

: >Your temporal sense is impaired.

: You are an arrogant pompous ass. At least you are sober this time.

I am arrogant. I make no bones about it. (I take it you looked up
temporal in the dictionary?:)

Kenton Pate

Jul 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/19/97
to scy...@mail.idt.net