Medievia

Michael Harvey

Jul 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/9/95
O.K usually I do not get involved in idiotic flame wars, however your
parrot like oratory regarding medievias shortcomings is impinging on
my ability to retrieve any useful information from this group. If you
don't like Med, don't play it, I could really care less. If you want to
engage in self congratulatory diatribes, do it on your own
bandwidth.

Michael Harvey
e-mail mha...@maestro.com

Russ Taylor

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
Michael Harvey (mha...@shiva.hunter.cuny.edu) wrote:
: O.K usually I do not get involved in idiotic flame wars, however your
: parrot like oratory regarding medievias shortcomings is impinging on
: my ability to retrieve any useful information from this group. If you
: don't like Med, don't play it, I could really care less. If you want to
: engage in self congratulatory diatribes, do it on your own
: bandwidth.

I think the rampant dislike for Medievia has more to do with its illegal
copyright violations (asking for donations, claiming to be a total rewrite,
and leaving out the credits from the game) than any personal dislike for
the mud, though it DOES stink on ice.

--
"Why do little blue midgets keep beating me with fish?" -- the Tick

N. Latif

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
Russ Taylor (rta...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) wrote:

If u guys dont like MED, then just SHUT UP. All we wanna know is WHY is it
down, thats all. I like to play on a mud (like MED) that has A LOT of players
at once, so that I have more options to group with different ppl. All the
other muds that u claimed to be good, has no more than 5 ppl on. Give me an
address of a mud that have AT LEAST 30 ppl on at the same time, and I WILL try
it. Chau

Russ Taylor

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
N. Latif (nla...@blue.seas.upenn.edu) wrote:
: Russ Taylor (rta...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) wrote:
: : I think the rampant dislike for Medievia has more to do with its illegal

: : copyright violations (asking for donations, claiming to be a total rewrite,
: : and leaving out the credits from the game) than any personal dislike for
: : the mud, though it DOES stink on ice.

: If u guys dont like MED, then just SHUT UP. All we wanna know is WHY is it

: down, thats all. I like to play on a mud (like MED) that has A LOT of players
: at once, so that I have more options to group with different ppl. All the
: other muds that u claimed to be good, has no more than 5 ppl on. Give me an
: address of a mud that have AT LEAST 30 ppl on at the same time, and I WILL try
: it. Chau

I see. So, for example, if some wannabe Hitler comes around and starts
gassing people right and left, and we don't like it, we should just shut
up because he makes the trains run on time? Vryce is breaking international
copyright law, and I for one don't plan on standing idly by.

Tim Devlin

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
N. Latif (nla...@blue.seas.upenn.edu) wrote:
: Russ Taylor (rta...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) wrote:
: : Michael Harvey (mha...@shiva.hunter.cuny.edu) wrote:
: : : O.K usually I do not get involved in idiotic flame wars, however your
: : : parrot like oratory regarding medievias shortcomings is impinging on
: : : my ability to retrieve any useful information from this group. If you
: : : don't like Med, don't play it, I could really care less. If you want to
: : : engage in self congratulatory diatribes, do it on your own
: : : bandwidth.

: : I think the rampant dislike for Medievia has more to do with its illegal

: : copyright violations (asking for donations, claiming to be a total rewrite,
: : and leaving out the credits from the game) than any personal dislike for
: : the mud, though it DOES stink on ice.

: : --

: : "Why do little blue midgets keep beating me with fish?" -- the Tick

: If u guys dont like MED, then just SHUT UP. All we wanna know is WHY is it
: down, thats all. I like to play on a mud (like MED) that has A LOT of players
: at once, so that I have more options to group with different ppl. All the
: other muds that u claimed to be good, has no more than 5 ppl on. Give me an
: address of a mud that have AT LEAST 30 ppl on at the same time, and I WILL try
: it. Chau

Sojourn gets 160+ on at peek every night and there is never any less then 60 on
unless its just after a reboot.

The address is

menzo.sojourn.com 9999 or 199.177.127.8 9999

There ya go..next excuse please.

Kenneth Cavness

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
> : If u guys dont like MED, then just SHUT UP. All we wanna know is WHY is it

^^^^^^

> : down, thats all. I like to play on a mud (like MED) that has A LOT of
players
> : at once, so that I have more options to group with different ppl. All the
> : other muds that u claimed to be good, has no more than 5 ppl on. Give
me an
^^^
^^^^^^ ^^^

> : address of a mud that have AT LEAST 30 ppl on at the same time, and I
WILL try
^^^^^

> Sojourn gets 160+ on at peek every night and there is never any less
then 60 on
> unless its just after a reboot.

Not only that, of those 160+, about 3/4ths of the players on at any given time
actually have brains, maturity, finesse, kindness, generosity, and role playing
ability. Not a bad ratio.

And Medievia(sic)? 'Nuff said.

> There ya go..next excuse please.

Uh... my computer ate the address.

---
Ilsensine or Vordal @ Sojourn, ilse...@mail.utexas.edu

Kenneth Cavness
cav...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu, ilse...@mail.utexas.edu,
mor...@menzo.sojourn.com, star...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu

Matuse

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
In article <3trmll$6...@netnews.upenn.edu> nla...@blue.seas.upenn.edu (N. Latif) writes:
>Russ Taylor (rta...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) wrote:
>: Michael Harvey (mha...@shiva.hunter.cuny.edu) wrote:
>If u guys dont like MED, then just SHUT UP. All we wanna know is WHY is it
>down, thats all. I like to play on a mud (like MED) that has A LOT of players
>at once, so that I have more options to group with different ppl. All the
>other muds that u claimed to be good, has no more than 5 ppl on. Give me an
>address of a mud that have AT LEAST 30 ppl on at the same time, and I WILL try
>it. Chau

Translation: I like to mooch xp and gold and equipment off highlevs
cause I can barely pick my nose without help, and when there are more
people on, there is a better chance of being able to convince one to
level me.

Patrice Laroche

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
N. Latif (nla...@blue.seas.upenn.edu) wrote:
: If u guys dont like MED, then just SHUT UP. All we wanna know is WHY is it
: down, thats all. I like to play on a mud (like MED) that has A LOT of players
: at once, so that I have more options to group with different ppl. All the
: other muds that u claimed to be good, has no more than 5 ppl on. Give me an
: address of a mud that have AT LEAST 30 ppl on at the same time, and I WILL try
: it. Chau

Try Mystic Adventure, we rearely have less than 60 players online
and we reach limits of 130-140 players on good nights.

mud.gel.ulaval.ca 4000

Keops @ Mystic Adventure

Bob Dunn

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
I'll start by saying Hi out there to anyone who's on Medievia
and waiting for the system to recover (sigh).

Its interesting the passion that is envoked by one Mud or other
and what seems to be circular flaming sessions. What I would like
to do is offer a few observations.

There a large number of Mud's out there - Good, and may they continue
to get support from as many people as possible.

Too much time is spent in critism rather than in improving the
existing Muds with good ideas and suggestions.

Muds are maintained with a lot of blood sweat and toil. What is a
nusance to us mortals will put a lot of pressure and sleepless nights
on the Mud administrators to try and put it right. That is sometimes a
lot of aggro for little reward.

Finally try not to lose sight of the fact that people play Muds for
'FUN' and that they reflect the attitudes of people in real life
(i.e. once an arsehole always an arsehole). Medievia has a good and
loyal following because it is a balance between the hack-n-slash,
ease of playing and complexity of the zones. It may not be perfect but
it works for me (I remember the UK Essex MUD days) and I hope that it will
continue to grow in popularity.

I wish good luck to all Mud users, flamers and Gods.

Weaponmaster

PS Flapp I was still getting messages of your help to others (grin).

PPS I have not been paid for this message by Vryce, and I can be an
unpleasant bastard when I want.

Russ Taylor

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
2 (d...@netcom.com) wrote:
: Russ Taylor (rta...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) wrote:
: :other muds that u claimed to be good, has no more than 5 ppl on. Give me an
: :address of a mud that have AT LEAST 30 ppl on at the same time, and I
: :WILL try it. Chau

Two bits of advice, Mr. Netcom user:

1) learn how to follow-up a post properly. I don't appreciate false
quoting.
2) Reduce your sig to the acceptable 3 lines

Russ Taylor

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
Stephen E. Persons (bq...@freenet.buffalo.edu) wrote:
: P.S. - If you are going to insult me because of mispellings, bad usage
: of grammer, etc. then just GROW UP!!! I really don't want to hear
: about it and I'm sure no one else does either.

Nope, I'll just insult you for being a fool on a freenet. Couldn't
afford a real account?

John Hickman

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
Michael Harvey <mha...@shiva.hunter.cuny.edu> wrote:

>O.K usually I do not get involved in idiotic flame wars, however your

I do not like flame wars either, but I will say one thing though. All
this publicity for Medievia, in my view, is great. The MUD will no
doubt gain a great deal of new players who try it to see if this war
is appropriate and will then STAY. All in all I think Med will gain
in the end.

John Hickman

Kenneth Cavness

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
> P.S. - If you are going to insult me because of mispellings, bad usage
> of grammer, etc. then just GROW UP!!! I really don't want to hear
> about it and I'm sure no one else does either.

This isn't about simply accusing someone of not listening to their
grammar teacher in junior high. It's about the basic tone and
attitude of the way you and the idiot who posted before you
posted. Some vocal minority of the Medievia crew, and
Medievia's blatant ignoring of copyright laws of the program
that it took and then stole, are giving Medievia a bad name.

In fact, if it weren't for that vocal minority, there probably
wouldn't be so much screaming about Medievia's disgusting
attempt at money-grabbing. There'd just be basic grumbling.

But go ahead and scream, pink boy. It won't do you any good
in the long run.

cwi...@thegroup.net

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95

It's really pathetic that you people have nothing better to do with
your lives than bash tjose of us who choose to play on Medievia. I
personally have tried a few muds, and I feel that Med has a lot going for
it, especially a LARGE number of players who are willing to help others
out. I find that is one of the most enjoyable parts of mudding, playing
with many other people. Most of the other mud I've tried generally have
fewer than 30 people, while I've never seen Med with less than 70 people
on line.

Go ahead, flame me, I don't care. Considering your fairly
uninteresting lives, it is probably the onlf enjoyment you get!

--
Sincerely,

Mandorallen

"'Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war."
William Shakespeare

Matuse

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
In article <3tu9bi$t...@noc.thegroup.net> cwi...@thegroup.net writes:
> Go ahead, flame me, I don't care. Considering your fairly
>uninteresting lives, it is probably the onlf enjoyment you get!

As opposed to your oh-so-very-interesting life where you don't need to
flame other people, right?

Hard to believe that people dumb as you actually exist.

Tranquility

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
On 11 Jul 1995 cwi...@thegroup.net wrote:

> It's really pathetic that you people have nothing better to do with
> your lives than bash tjose of us who choose to play on Medievia. I
> personally have tried a few muds, and I feel that Med has a lot going for
> it, especially a LARGE number of players who are willing to help others
> out. I find that is one of the most enjoyable parts of mudding, playing
> with many other people. Most of the other mud I've tried generally have
> fewer than 30 people, while I've never seen Med with less than 70 people
> on line.
>

> Go ahead, flame me, I don't care. Considering your fairly
> uninteresting lives, it is probably the onlf enjoyment you get!

I think you may be jumping the gun here a bit. I'm not one of the big
flamers here, but believe it or not, flaming is not the thing I enjoy
most in my life. (gasps all around). Nope. I'd much rather have a
nice, long informative thread going, with a lot of ideas and opinions
bouncing around. And hell, I don't even spend all my free time on the
comp. (more gasps). I'm almost ashamed to say this on rgmd, but I have
a tan. I'm in good shape. I have some RL friends (not many, but then
again, I'm not looking for more...this is Jersey I live in).

Not to say I don't enjoy flaming, however. There are definately some
people that need it. I don't flame Medievia because of their code, or
their areas, or their players. I don't play there...I don't think I'm
qualified to go after that. I DO flame them for the whole donation
thing. It's illegal. Granted, nothing will ever come of it, because of
one simple fact: money. It's the same reason an innocent corporation
will settle with people filing lawsuits against it. They shouldn't have
to pay, but paying up front is cheaper than defending in court. Who's
gonna front the money to sue them and get less back? I'm sure as hell
not going to. But I'll be damned if I'm just gonna sit here listening to
it without saying something, even if it's something harsh. If you want
to play there, fine. That's your choice. If you want to defend or
praise them, fine. That's also your choice. I don't play there. That's
my choice. I flame them. That's also my choice.

Also, just a little afterthought: they don't give a rat's ass about the
flames anyway. If they did, they would no longer be asking for
donations. So don't get TOO worked up over flames; history has shown
that they LOVE negative publicity.

* Visit PhoenixMUD or DIE! * Telnet to sirius.nmt.edu 4000 to live. *
* We have ways to make you mud.* All flames to bl...@crow.cybercomm.net *

grea...@corp.hp.com

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
Stephen E. Persons (bq...@freenet.buffalo.edu) tried to convince us that:

> >Vryce is breaking international
> >copyright law, and I for one don't plan on standing idly by.

> Well, if you are so sure of it, and have proof then DO something about it,
> like you are claiming to do by "not standing idly by". Sue him, take him to
> court, boil his rabbit, just DO something about it instead of flaming
> Medievia here, getting all your anti-medievia buddies all excited, and
> wasting bandwidth with your comments that everyone is sick of hearing
> about.

Actually, Russ can't take ya'll to court...he has not lost anything by the
actions of this mud - unless you're using ROM code. Just because the Diku
team is not taking action against you does not mean your actions are any
less illegal. How would you feel if I downloaded a copy of your mud, changed
the login credits, and claimed it as my own...oh..or are you going to use
the "it's 70% original" quote which Derek loves?

> >"Why do little blue midgets keep beating me with fish?" -- the Tick

> I sure do hope that you have given credit to ALL the people responsible
> for the quote you use in your signature, but by the looks of it, you are
> violating international copyright laws yourself.
> Stephen E. Persons
> OmegaRed of MEDIEVIA

Oh I see Stephen, you're a moron. Pardon me for getting involved.

Robert J. Greanias http://onyx.cencom.net/~fred grea...@corp.hp.com
killfile helper 1.2: JediSojournM*d**v**CanterSiegelTaylorOnivelStanton
IntelMicrosoftPeniswavingSPISPOPDDoomHereticMOOMOMCivMAKE.MONEY.FASTspam
ATMSuperhighwayCyberspaceMultimediaGreenpeaceAmnestyIRACIAKGBAFLCIO49ers
Dertix.netcom.comAOLWin9*OS/2ChicagoCairoScientologyWACO

Kenneth Cavness

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95

> >Hard to believe that people dumb as you actua

> How can it be hard to for you to believ? You and your fellow Medievia
> bashers are shining examples of stupidity. Oh, what am I thinking!
> I'm sure MENSA is just begging all of you to join right up, as if
> you could score higher than 70 on an IQ test anyways

Congratulations! You have been selected from a random pool of idiot users on
the net for.............

The Official Vordalinilidisathlenian Flame Scale!

Horrible Flame Incredibly Excellent
|--------|--------|--------|-------|--------|-------|-------|-------|--------|
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
<------
You are here.

Afraid you were a bit off the scale, but keep trying! maybe someday you will
be able to enter the great town of Boggsville or even make it to Taylor!

--
Vordal or Ilsensine @ Sojourn

Stephen E. Persons

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95

>I see. So, for example, if some wannabe Hitler comes around and starts
>gassing people right and left, and we don't like it, we should just shut
>up because he makes the trains run on time?

You are absolutely correct. Instead you should flame him on here and then
just wait until him and his wannabe SS come knocking on you wannabe door and
take you to a wannabe concentration camp, gas you and end your WANNABE LIFE!
But that's quite alright because the trains are running on time.

>Vryce is breaking international
>copyright law, and I for one don't plan on standing idly by.

Well, if you are so sure of it, and have proof then DO something about it,
like you are claiming to do by "not standing idly by". Sue him, take him to
court, boil his rabbit, just DO something about it instead of flaming
Medievia here, getting all your anti-medievia buddies all excited, and
wasting bandwidth with your comments that everyone is sick of hearing
about.

>--

>"Why do little blue midgets keep beating me with fish?" -- the Tick

I sure do hope that you have given credit to ALL the people responsible
for the quote you use in your signature, but by the looks of it, you are
violating international copyright laws yourself.

Stephen E. Persons
OmegaRed of MEDIEVIA

P.S. - If you are going to insult me because of mispellings, bad usage

2

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
Russ Taylor (rta...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) wrote:
:other muds that u claimed to be good, has no more than 5 ppl on. Give me an
:address of a mud that have AT LEAST 30 ppl on at the same time, and I
:WILL try it. Chau

132.203.14.100 4000 - 60-70 people on at once is common, I've seen over 150.

I live there BTW...

DrK

The Last Place on Earth...
[Exits: east west]
This is exactly the place you are talking about when you talk about the last
place on earth you'd want to be...

<252/5022hp 434mv opp:<none> leader 5%> scan
Right here you see:
- DrK
east from you, you see:
- Mystra, the Goddess od Magic
- Mystra, the Goddess od Magic
- Bahal, the Wandering Sufferrer
- Demonicus
west from you you see:
- TRex
- the Velociraptor
- the Velociraptor
- the Velociraptor
- the Velociraptor

<252/5022hp 434mv opp:<none> leader 5%> recall
God has forsaken you.

<252/5022hp 434mv opp:<none> leader 5%> weep
You hang your head and weep pitifully

Blairy

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
: 2 (d...@netcom.com) wrote:

: : Russ Taylor (rta...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) wrote:
: : :other muds that u claimed to be good, has no more than 5 ppl on. Give me an
: : :address of a mud that have AT LEAST 30 ppl on at the same time, and I
: : :WILL try it. Chau

: Two bits of advice, Mr. Netcom user:

: 1) learn how to follow-up a post properly. I don't appreciate false
: quoting.
: 2) Reduce your sig to the acceptable 3 lines

: --

: "Why do little blue midgets keep beating me with fish?" -- the Tick

ahhhh, I see... it's inexcuseable for him to misquote you because you
simply don't appreciate it? In the case, it must be inappropriate for you
to live and breathe, cause I don't appreciate your miserable presence.

-Necronomicon

2

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
Russ Taylor (rta...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) wrote:
: Two bits of advice, Mr. Netcom user:

: 1) learn how to follow-up a post properly. I don't appreciate false
: quoting.

My humblest apologies, I was in error

: 2) Reduce your sig to the acceptable 3 lines

If I can't even get a quote right, do you honestly believe I know how to
change my sig?

: --
: "Why do little blue midgets keep beating me with fish?" -- the Tick

Hrm....seems your's needs to be expanded to an acceptable 3 lines btw...
I don't see much point in following the orders of a person who won't even
follow the rules he tries to force on others...

chuckle...net cop wannabe :) Gotta love it

cwi...@thegroup.net

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
mat...@netcom.com (Matuse) wrote:
>In article <3tu9bi$t...@noc.thegroup.net> cwi...@thegroup.net writes:
>> Go ahead, flame me, I don't care. Considering your fairly
>>uninteresting lives, it is probably the onlf enjoyment you get!
>
>As opposed to your oh-so-very-interesting life where you don't need to
>flame other people, right?
>
>Hard to believe that people dumb as you actually exist.

How can it be hard to for you to believ? You and your fellow Medievia
bashers are shining examples of stupidity. Oh, what am I thinking!
I'm sure MENSA is just begging all of you to join right up, as if
you could score higher than 70 on an IQ test anyways
--
Sincerely,

Sir Sparhawk, Queens Champion

Robert Thomas

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
Jo...@chipster.tcp.co.uk (John Hickman) writes:

>Michael Harvey <mha...@shiva.hunter.cuny.edu> wrote:

>John Hickman

And every player that likes Medeivia is one less idiot on YOUR mud!
Then again its one less easy pk for me, but you can't have it all.

RT

Pete

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
<who cares what he wrote>

Matuse, I never flame because I never post. But man, you are just
a complete friggin idiot. Ahh, I feel better.

Harvey Gilpin

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
Tranquility <bl...@crow.cybercomm.net> wrote:
.

> I don't flame Medievia because of their code, or
>their areas, or their players. I don't play there...I don't think I'm
>qualified to go after that. I DO flame them for the whole donation
>thing. It's illegal. Granted, nothing will ever come of it, because of
>one simple fact: money.
.

The real problem here is Med's players. A mud is nothing w/o it's
players.

So to all you Medievia players:

You are playing a mud that is letting down the _entire_ mudding
community. You are the only people that can do anything about this
situation. Would it really hurt so much to relocate to another mud?
The are many better ones, and as soon as you find the best, a better
one still will appear in the next month.

Why support a mud such as this?

Rv.

/*. "Dry humor? where? I'm thirsy." - Harvey Gilpin - r...@pncl.co.uk .*/

Message has been deleted

Matuse

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <3u1b2r$p...@panix2.panix.com> pe...@panix.com (Pete) writes:
>Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
> <who cares what he wrote>

Well, I do... :)

>Matuse, I never flame because I never post. But man, you are just
>a complete friggin idiot. Ahh, I feel better.

Hmm, try going and looking up the definition of "hypocrite" next time you
are in the vicinity of a dictionary (although with your apparant
intelligence level, this is a pretty rare occurance).

Pete

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:

: Hmm, try going and looking up the definition of "hypocrite" next time you

: are in the vicinity of a dictionary (although with your apparant
: intelligence level, this is a pretty rare occurance).

No , see you just dont get it do you? I never post, but you have riled me
up? cant ya tell? See, You claim i am stupid. And when have we met?
when have you seen me spill ignorance or stupidity onto this newsgroup?
you havent, yet, every day I see you do it. So i have a feel for you. You
have none for me, well, you think you do, but as usual your wrong. I
could be a charter member of mensa working on a cure for AIDS, but a 3
line post and you got me pegged as stupid! Well my friend, all I can say
is crack open your piggy bank and go buy yourself a hooker, you need
something in your life.

Phil Priston

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
In article: <3u2mdb$s...@panix2.panix.com> pe...@panix.com (Pete) writes:
_>
_> Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
_>
[...]
with replies like this are you really supprised he thinks your stupid ?
*shrug*
Phil...
_>
_>
_>
--
______/~~~~~~\_/~\_____/~\_/~\__________'"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""\_
_____/~\__/~\_/~\_________/~\____'''''__'" Marley Extrusions Ltd. '"\_

furry one

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
Ahh. I finger @medievia, see it's down. Hm. Ah, nothing to bother.
I check r.g.m.d to see if some stupid mudder wanted a clue as to access
a mud that "Connection timed out". What do I find? 50 flames about
Medievia. Memories.

Hey, just remember, if you need a recent .. backup of Medievia, you just
let me know. :)

--
mo...@furry.misty.com ()__() || And I am the Iconoclast, an unconventional
Michael Kelly (oo) || eccentric who marches to a different

grea...@corp.hp.com

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
Blairy (bla...@netaxs.com) tried to convince us that:

> ahhhh, I see... it's inexcuseable for him to misquote you because you
> simply don't appreciate it? In the case, it must be inappropriate for you
> to live and breathe, cause I don't appreciate your miserable presence.

> I also hump sheep twice a week because my father taught me to.

> -Necronomicon

Yup...there are no problems with misquoting people.

Robert J. Greanias http://onyx.cencom.net/~fred grea...@corp.hp.com
killfile helper 1.2: JediSojournM*d**v**CanterSiegelTaylorOnivelStanton
IntelMicrosoftPeniswavingSPISPOPDDoomHereticMOOMOMCivMAKE.MONEY.FASTspam
ATMSuperhighwayCyberspaceMultimediaGreenpeaceAmnestyIRACIAKGBAFLCIO49ers

Dertix.netcom.comAOLWin9*OS/2ChicagoCairoScientologyWACOBATFSnopesKiboLA

Nicholas Boehm

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
Well, I've been reading this group for a few minutes and it seems that
2/3 of the people who are flaming Medievia have never played it before
or only played it for maybe 30 seconds.

1: IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T PLAY IT!
2: Medievia happens to be one of the largest MUDs on the net, but also
seems to be one of the most flamed ones. Strange coincidence eh? I
personally like the mud, and it seems a lot of other people do too, since
there is almost always over 100 players on. A lot of other muds that I
have played (or tried to) have ALWAYS less than 5 players on. Sure,
medievia has its downfalls in some parts of it, but has a lot of good
zones and usually friendly players who can help you with most problems.
It's pretty simple to find a group, and there is some good places that
you can solo too (if you have good eq to survive well).
3: If you don't like it, refer to #1.

-Nick (Allanon)

Nicholas Boehm

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
rta...@cie-2.uoregon.edu (Russ Taylor) writes:

>Stephen E. Persons (bq...@freenet.buffalo.edu) wrote:

>: P.S. - If you are going to insult me because of mispellings, bad usage

>: of grammer, etc. then just GROW UP!!! I really don't want to hear
>: about it and I'm sure no one else does either.

>Nope, I'll just insult you for being a fool on a freenet. Couldn't
>afford a real account?

Well, maybe he doesn't WANT to get a real account. Pretty simple
really. What works for him is what works for him, so get off his back.

- Nicholas Boehm (nich...@blkbox.com)
Allanon on Medievia (medievia.netaxs.com 4000)

Akuma

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
In article <matuseDB...@netcom.com>, mat...@netcom.com (Matuse) says:

>In article <3u1b2r$p...@panix2.panix.com> pe...@panix.com (Pete) writes:
>>Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
>> <who cares what he wrote>
>
>Well, I do... :)
>
>>Matuse, I never flame because I never post. But man, you are just
>>a complete friggin idiot. Ahh, I feel better.
>
>Hmm, try going and looking up the definition of "hypocrite" next time you
>are in the vicinity of a dictionary (although with your apparant
>intelligence level, this is a pretty rare occurance).

That was soooo pathetic. My mom could flame better than you.

-Akuma

Matuse

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
In article <3u2mdb$s...@panix2.panix.com> pe...@panix.com (Pete) writes:
>Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
>
>: Hmm, try going and looking up the definition of "hypocrite" next time you
>: are in the vicinity of a dictionary (although with your apparant
>: intelligence level, this is a pretty rare occurance).
>
>No , see you just dont get it do you? I never post, but you have riled me
>up? cant ya tell? See, You claim i am stupid. And when have we met?

Thankfully never.

>when have you seen me spill ignorance or stupidity onto this newsgroup?

This post is a starter.

>you havent, yet, every day I see you do it. So i have a feel for you.

Ooooh, I flame his mud, so that automatically qualifies me for stupidity
and ignorance...how enlightened you must be. Lets see, how about being
hoist upon your own petard: You've never met me, how can you have the
faintest clue of my intelligence level? For all you know, I could be
acting on the human genome project, or maybe invested in the search for a
room temperature superconductor.

>Well my friend, all I can say is crack open your piggy bank and go buy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Morons and medeivia players (which amounts to the same thing) are never
my friends.

>yourself a hooker, you need something in your life.

And how enlightened you are about my life. Wow, never met someone who
claimed to be omniscient before...whats it like?

Oh, and if you *really* felt about that post as you claimed you do, then your
response wouldn't have been nearly so long winded, nor nearly as
defensive as it was...

K Steven Thomas

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
Akuma (ozol...@student.msu.edu) wrote:

: That was soooo pathetic. My mom could flame better than you.

: -Akuma

I'll vouch for that one...she can!

-Boots

Phil Priston

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
In article: <3u5f6o$q...@news.orst.edu> gen...@ucs.orst.edu (Kim Gentry) writes:
_> I'm willing to try other muds, but I still think that I would come back
_> to Med for one reason: other players. I have made some really good
_> friends on Med, and I'm not willing to give them up in the name of
_> alleged code theft.
_>

What do you mean alledged? the original creators of Diku and Merc have
publically stated that Vryce has stolen their code.
They cannot afford a law suit and so have on many occasion asked the
MUDing community to boycott Vryces MUD. The people you see hear
flamming those who play Medievia (however its spelt!) are doing so because
these people are in many cases ignoring the wishes of those people, who
enabled Medievia and hundreds of other MUDs to exist.
*shrug*
So if you read this, and still play Medithievia (or whatever) then please do
not get on your high horse about the rest of us, since you are as bad as
Vryce in supporting this Theft.
Phil...

Pete

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
: Morons and medeivia players (which amounts to the same thing) are never
: my friends.

Who the hell said I played medievia? I was just lurking and
commenting how you think everyone is an idiot for their personal
preferences. *shrug* You are entitled to judge people all you want. I am
also entitled to say its moronic to flame people based on where they play.

Ron Cole

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
: What do you mean alledged? the original creators of Diku and Merc have

: publically stated that Vryce has stolen their code.

A public accusation is pretty much the definition of alledged. There's
been no legal decision, therefore, it's assumed that Vryce is innocent
until proven guilty. If these creators are not or can not prove their
accusations, they could be charged with libel or slander (which ever
applies to electronic communication). Either way, until there is an
actual trial, all that you're doing is generating publicity for Medievia.
And whether it's good or bad, any publicity is going to attract new players.

Until the alledged violations have been proved legally (or Vyrce invites
me over to personally inspect the code ;-), I'm willing to give him the
benefit of the doubt.

Ron

Blairy

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
$9...@hpcc48.corp.hp.com>
grea...@corp.hp.com wrote:
: Blairy (bla...@netaxs.com) tried to convince us that:

: > ahhhh, I see... it's inexcuseable for him to misquote you because you
: > simply don't appreciate it? In the case, it must be inappropriate for you
: > to live and breathe, cause I don't appreciate your miserable presence.
: > I also hump sheep twice a week because my father taught me to.

: > -Necronomicon

: Yup...there are no problems with misquoting people.

: Of course, the fact that my mom and I are sleeping together clouds my
: vision of what's normal, so I really shouldn't be talking.

Nope, no problems.

-Necronomicon

Kenneth Cavness

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95

> A public accusation is pretty much the definition of alledged. There's
> been no legal decision, therefore, it's assumed that Vryce is innocent
> until proven guilty.

Only in a court of law. Public opinion can believe whatever the #$%@ they
want to believe, and I believe that Vryce is guilty as hell.

Matuse

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
In article <3u1oi2$p...@msunews.cl.msu.edu> ozol...@student.msu.edu (Akuma) writes:
>In article <matuseDB...@netcom.com>, mat...@netcom.com (Matuse) says:
>>
>>In article <3u1b2r$p...@panix2.panix.com> pe...@panix.com (Pete) writes:
>>>Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
>>> <who cares what he wrote>

>That was soooo pathetic. My mom could flame better than you.

With all the practice she must get defending her worthless offspring, I
don't doubt it.

Matuse

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
In article <3u62nu$l...@panix2.panix.com> pe...@panix.com (Pete) writes:
>Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
>: Morons and medeivia players (which amounts to the same thing) are never
>: my friends.
>
> Who the hell said I played medievia? I was just lurking and
>commenting how you think everyone is an idiot for their personal
>preferences.

Amazing that you know so much about me. I think that medtheivians are
morons because they are incapable of grasping such an insignificant point
called "the law". There are a multitude of personal preferences which I
don't give a shit about, mostly because they are not illegal.

>I am
>also entitled to say its moronic to flame people based on where they play.

And how proud you must be of yourself.

Kim Gentry

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
In article <3tvrie$m...@eiger.pncl.co.uk>, Harvey Gilpin <r...@pncl.co.uk> wrote:

>Tranquility <bl...@crow.cybercomm.net> wrote:
>.
>
>The real problem here is Med's players. A mud is nothing w/o it's
>players.
>
>So to all you Medievia players:
>
>You are playing a mud that is letting down the _entire_ mudding
>community. You are the only people that can do anything about this
>situation. Would it really hurt so much to relocate to another mud?
>The are many better ones, and as soon as you find the best, a better
>one still will appear in the next month.
>
>Why support a mud such as this?

I think that most of Med's players, including myself, have no clue about
the reputation Med has. Most mudders just go to mud, and prefer to mud
in places where people are on.

I'm willing to try other muds, but I still think that I would come back

to Med for one reason: other players. I have made some really good

friends on Med, and I'm not willing to give them up in the name of

alleged code theft.

I think that losing friends would be the only problem that most Med mudders
would have with relocating.

Kim aka Leannan

--
{~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}{~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}
{ Kim }{ "Acceptance is surrender" }

Stephen E. Persons

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95

Thanks Nicholas,
Appreciate the "get off his back comment". :) At least most people are
intelligent enough, not to judge a user by him apparent account address. As for
the person who replied with the "Couldn't afford a real account?" comment,
people like him are the reason I don't feel like disclosing my REAL account's
address. I really don't care to log on and find flames waiting in there, I'd
rather find them in my freenet account instead. Well, thanks again Nicholas.
See ya on Med when it comes back online.

Stephen E. Persons
OmegaRed on Medievia (medievia.netaxs.com 4000)

Steve McGinnis II

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
In article <DBoyB...@freenet.buffalo.edu> bq...@freenet.buffalo.edu (Stephen E. Persons) writes:
>From: bq...@freenet.buffalo.edu (Stephen E. Persons)
>Subject: Re: Medievia
>Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 05:38:01 GMT

>>>Nope, I'll just insult you for being a fool on a freenet. Couldn't
>>>afford a real account?

I dont even know any of these people. I have never been on Med.. It just
disgusts me that someone can be so low as to make a comment like that. It is
his own stupidity. If he would rather spend money then gat a free acct. then
Shit. I feel sorry for the little Fucker.

Hey, If I can get it free I'll take the oppurtunity.

Shove Off.

Thank you.

Steve McGinnis II
ste...@primenet.com

*
* * * * * * ______ *
* / \ / \ Life is meant to be a JOURNEY,
Steve McGinnis II * / (@ @) \ *
ste...@primenet.com /---oOo--oOo---\ lets make it one..
/::::::::::::::::::\ *
* * (====================) * ()BELIEVE()
* \........../
'''''''''' * * *
* *
* * * *
*
* * * *

Harvey Gilpin

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
gen...@ucs.orst.edu (Kim Gentry) wrote:

>In article <3tvrie$m...@eiger.pncl.co.uk>, Harvey Gilpin <r...@pncl.co.uk> wrote:
>>The real problem here is Med's players. A mud is nothing w/o it's
>>players.
>>
>>So to all you Medievia players:
>>
>>You are playing a mud that is letting down the _entire_ mudding
>>community. You are the only people that can do anything about this
>>situation. Would it really hurt so much to relocate to another mud?
>>The are many better ones, and as soon as you find the best, a better
>>one still will appear in the next month.
>>
>>Why support a mud such as this?

8<

>I'm willing to try other muds, but I still think that I would come back
>to Med for one reason: other players. I have made some really good
>friends on Med, and I'm not willing to give them up in the name of
>alleged code theft.

>I think that losing friends would be the only problem that most Med mudders
>would have with relocating.

That's what I figured. That would be my problem in your position. So
why not take them with you? Presumably there must be some Medievia
mudders that DO give a toss about the rest of the mudding community
and arn't completely self centered, so why not all hunt arround for
another mud and then relocate together?
Get a big warparty and invade some poor, unsuspecting mud :)

Rv.

/*. "Dry humor? where? I'm thirsty." - Harvey Gilpin - r...@pncl.co.uk .*/

Harvey Gilpin

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
nich...@blkbox.COM (Nicholas Boehm) wrote:

>1: IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T PLAY IT!
>2: Medievia happens to be one of the largest MUDs on the net, but also
>seems to be one of the most flamed ones. Strange coincidence eh? I
>personally like the mud, and it seems a lot of other people do too, since
>there is almost always over 100 players on. A lot of other muds that I
>have played (or tried to) have ALWAYS less than 5 players on. Sure,
>medievia has its downfalls in some parts of it, but has a lot of good
>zones and usually friendly players who can help you with most problems.
>It's pretty simple to find a group, and there is some good places that
>you can solo too (if you have good eq to survive well).
>3: If you don't like it, refer to #1.

The quality of Med is not the issue here. I'm sure it's a very good
Mud. Any that can attract that many players has to be. I might even
enjoy it were I ever to play it. However, once again:

That is not the issue.

(To find out what the issue is, refer to the rest of this thread)

Matuse

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
In article <3u5f6o$q...@news.orst.edu> gen...@ucs.orst.edu (Kim Gentry) writes:
>In article <3tvrie$m...@eiger.pncl.co.uk>, Harvey Gilpin <r...@pncl.co.uk> wrote:
>>Tranquility <bl...@crow.cybercomm.net> wrote:
>I'm willing to try other muds, but I still think that I would come back
>to Med for one reason: other players. I have made some really good
>friends on Med, and I'm not willing to give them up in the name of
>alleged code theft.

This seems to be really common "I play 'theivia cause it has a lot of
players"...well, heres a thought: Since this is one of the primary
reasons the larger portion of people who post here play there, why not
take 10-15 of yer buds and go to some other mud? Then you'd still have
all those people, plus you'd be on a mud where people won't think you are
murky moatscum for logging on.

Besides, there are several muds which (claim to at least) have more
people than 'theivia on a regular basis...try going there :)

Matuse

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
In article <3u63km$4...@shore4.intercom.net> ron...@news.intercom.net (Ron Cole) writes:
>: What do you mean alledged? the original creators of Diku and Merc have
>: publically stated that Vryce has stolen their code.
>
>Until the alledged violations have been proved legally (or Vyrce invites
>me over to personally inspect the code ;-), I'm willing to give him the
>benefit of the doubt.

Why would looking at the code make a smidgen of difference? Vryce has
publically admitted he uses diku/merc code, theres no doubt of that. And
if you read through the license.doc and license.txt, its not terribly
hard to see how he has violated both of those documents.

This will probably not come up in a court of law, because the authors do not
have the time or (especially) the money to go to court on another continent.
Vryce knows this, and thats why his item pandering and other such atrocities
continue.

Kim Gentry

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
In article <156318...@marleyext.com>,

Phil Priston <ph...@marleyext.com> wrote:
>In article: <3u5f6o$q...@news.orst.edu> gen...@ucs.orst.edu (Kim Gentry) writes:
>_> I'm willing to try other muds, but I still think that I would come back
>_> to Med for one reason: other players. I have made some really good
>_> friends on Med, and I'm not willing to give them up in the name of
>_> alleged code theft.

>What do you mean alledged? the original creators of Diku and Merc have
>publically stated that Vryce has stolen their code.
<<<<text edited>>>>

>So if you read this, and still play Medithievia (or whatever) then please do
>not get on your high horse about the rest of us, since you are as bad as
>Vryce in supporting this Theft.

I wouldn't exactly call my statements spoken from a high horse. I was
simply stating my opinion of why many people play Med, including myself.

I consider all statments about the alleged code theft as alleged until I
see actual statements from the code creators. I haven't, since I have
only recently begun to read this group (it was suggested by another
mudder as a way to keep up with what the status of the Med crash is). If
anyone would like to forward me copies of any statements that have been
made, or direct me to a web site or FTP site that contains these
statements, I am willing to read them. I prefer to see both sides of any
situation before making a judgement.

Just keep in mind most people mud at certain muds based on
recommendations from other mudders, not from this newsgroup, so I can bet
that about 80% of Med's players have no clue about this alleged code
theft. Calling us all stupid or lame isn't right, calling us uninformed
is more accurate.

Pete

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
: Why would looking at the code make a smidgen of difference? Vryce has
: publically admitted he uses diku/merc code, theres no doubt of that. And
: if you read through the license.doc and license.txt, its not terribly
: hard to see how he has violated both of those documents.

Matuse, what State(s) are you admitted to practice law?

Timothy R. Redden

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
In article <sinDBs...@netcom.com>, Sultress <s...@netcom.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>But hey... go right ahead. They do provide SOME entertainment value,
>since the BEST mud in mudville is unavailable right now.

Yep, SneezyMUD will be back up on its new Northern California
ISP-supported site very shortly now. Come by and say hello ... *wink*

Stregan
--
Timothy R. Redden (red...@sequoia.csus.edu) char* ride = "1994 Kawi ZX-9R"
California State University, Sacramento char* cage = "1987 Chevy Nova"

Nickolas Marple

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
In article <3u63km$4...@shore4.intercom.net> ron...@news.intercom.net (Ron Cole) writes:

>Until the alledged violations have been proved legally (or Vyrce invites
>me over to personally inspect the code ;-), I'm willing to give him the
>benefit of the doubt.

Yep, and there's lots of neo-nazis who deny that the Holocaust ever
happened...

--
Nick Marple / Phoenix, AZ / jor...@primenet.com / jor...@phidar.traveller.com
See the world's worst WWW page: http://www.primenet.com/~jorehn

Sultress

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Tranquility (bl...@crow.cybercomm.net) wrote:

: Not to say I don't enjoy flaming, however. There are definately some
: people that need it. I don't flame Medievia because of their code, or
: their areas, or their players. I don't play there...I don't think I'm
: qualified to go after that. I DO flame them for the whole donation
: thing. It's illegal. Granted, nothing will ever come of it, because of
: one simple fact: money.

No, nothing will ever come of it because it would never stand up in
court. Any half competent attorny can tell you that. The license.doc,
which was poorly written to say the least, is extremely vague leaving way
too much room for interpretation. It says nothing about not accepting
donations, or soliciting them for that matter. While the Diku team
didn't envision the monster they were creating, create it they did. Their
single statement relating to financial gain, which goes something like
"you are not to make a profit of any kind", was the extent of the
protection they asked for.

In defining what a profit is, we have heard it all here in this group. So
please.. save it. The legality of it all will never be decided here. I
put my dollar in, only because you have presided over a case and made
conviction when charges have yet to be filed, with your "It's illegal."
statment above. Sure... it's your "right" to bark as loud as you wish on
the subject.. i just reminds me of the old jumping on the bandwagon
protesters.

: to pay, but paying up front is cheaper than defending in court. Who's
: gonna front the money to sue them and get less back? I'm sure as hell
: not going to. But I'll be damned if I'm just gonna sit here listening to
: it without saying something, even if it's something harsh. If you want
: to play there, fine. That's your choice. If you want to defend or
: praise them, fine. That's also your choice. I don't play there. That's
: my choice. I flame them. That's also my choice.

Doesn't it seem a little strange that nobody in this group ever seems to
comment one way or another about the OTHER muds who also take in
donations, or the ones who actually SELL mega statted eq for real life
money? You'd think Medievia invented the concept or something.
Yep.. your choice to sit on your butt while the same thing goes on around
you, but when you see Medievia, your ass suddenly shifts into gear.
It's either the purest form of flattery, or the most pathetic excuse
yet for saying anything.

: Also, just a little afterthought: they don't give a rat's ass about the
: flames anyway. If they did, they would no longer be asking for
: donations. So don't get TOO worked up over flames; history has shown
: that they LOVE negative publicity.

They? they? they? who are they? You are again speaking of and for, that
which you have yet to recieve clues for. You are right about one thing.
we dont give a rats ass about flames so obviously uninformed and petty.

But hey... go right ahead. They do provide SOME entertainment value,
since the BEST mud in mudville is unavailable right now.

Sultress

--
* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * -*- * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *
medievia.netaxs.com 4000 * s...@netcom.com * http://medievia.netaxs.com:8080

Matuse

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95

Dunno, which states are you licensed to say that the violation hasn't
occured?

Pete

Steve Thomas

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Kim Gentry (gen...@ucs.orst.edu) wrote:

: I think that most of Med's players, including myself, have no clue about

: the reputation Med has. Most mudders just go to mud, and prefer to mud
: in places where people are on.

True, and probably the main reason that the Medievians rarely defend the
mud is that they don't bother to read this group cause they are busy mudding.
With Med down, it gives a chance for the other side to be heard.

-Steve (Boots)

Steve Thomas

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:

: >That was soooo pathetic. My mom could flame better than you.

: With all the practice she must get defending her worthless offspring, I
: don't doubt it.

Warwick channel on for Mom Jokes and Penis Comments.

Mom Jokes.

Penis Comments.

Steve Thomas

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:

: Amazing that you know so much about me. I think that medtheivians are

: morons because they are incapable of grasping such an insignificant point
: called "the law". There are a multitude of personal preferences which I
: don't give a shit about, mostly because they are not illegal.

Funny. With my education, I learned quite a LOT about the law. Words
and phrases keep coming back, such as "innocent until proven guilty",
"due process", and "court of law". Of course, I think people are morons
who forget these basics when discussing the law. There's a multitude of
things I ignore, except for people who disregard due process...cause it's
illegal.

-STeve (Boots)

Steve Thomas

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Harvey Gilpin (r...@pncl.co.uk) wrote:
: why not take them with you? Presumably there must be some Medievia

: mudders that DO give a toss about the rest of the mudding community
: and arn't completely self centered, so why not all hunt arround for
: another mud and then relocate together?
: Get a big warparty and invade some poor, unsuspecting mud :)

I have tried 4 times since playing at Med. I announce "I'm going to
<such-and-such mud> to check it out. Anyone want to come along?"
Inevitably friends join up and go, and what happens? The mud crashes.
Repeatedly. In 1 case it actually took all of our new characters in
stride, but the people at the mud were peeved that there were 23 newbies
on at once, and people started gossiping insults.

Those are just my 4 experiences.

-Steve (Boots)

Steve Thomas

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Harvey Gilpin (r...@pncl.co.uk) wrote:

: The quality of Med is not the issue here. I'm sure it's a very good

: Mud. Any that can attract that many players has to be. I might even
: enjoy it were I ever to play it. However, once again:

: That is not the issue.

: (To find out what the issue is, refer to the rest of this thread)

The issue WAS the quality of Med. I know cause I started the argument
with Matuse (and unfortunately, have been reconfiguring my newserver so
have been away for a few days). One of the issues was "why do people
continue to play Med when it's such a horrible place?" (paraphrased) and
I gave my opinion to answer that, and got insulted a lot by Matuse.

So it is ONE issue, though not the only one.

-Steve (Boots)

Steve Thomas

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:

: This seems to be really common "I play 'theivia cause it has a lot of

: players"...well, heres a thought: Since this is one of the primary
: reasons the larger portion of people who post here play there, why not
: take 10-15 of yer buds and go to some other mud? Then you'd still have
: all those people, plus you'd be on a mud where people won't think you are
: murky moatscum for logging on.

10-15 is half of my clan. More like find me a place where 150 of my
friends can play...actually more now. *SIGH*

-Steve (Boots)

Steve Thomas

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:

: This will probably not come up in a court of law, because the authors do not

: have the time or (especially) the money to go to court on another continent.
: Vryce knows this, and thats why his item pandering and other such atrocities
: continue.

Know Vryce well do you? Didn't think so.

Steve Thomas

Matuse

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
In article <3uad6i$6...@panix2.panix.com> pe...@panix.com (Pete) writes:
>: Dunno, which states are you licensed to say that the violation hasn't
>: occured?
>
> New York.

Really now...and you've looked at copies of the license.txt and license.doc?
No, that would be way too much to ask.

Not that I really believe you anyway, its easy to claim.

Matuse

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95

Ah, so if you found a guy shooting people..."let him alone, he might be
innocent!". Lovely attitude, typical lawyer shit.

Steve Thomas

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:

: Ah, so if you found a guy shooting people..."let him alone, he might be

: innocent!". Lovely attitude, typical lawyer shit.

Caught in the middle of a violent act, someone STILL isn't guilty until
proven so in a court of law. Yeah, typical lawyer shit cause that is the
way the judicial system is set up. If I found a guy shooting people, I'd
stop him and call the police, or I'd kill him, I don't know. If I DID
kill him, I'd probably be tried for manslaughter, and I'd accept that.

Case in point - my truck was stolen and a week later a police officer in
Colton pulled it over on the road and two people bolted and ran from it.
"Why didn't you shoot them?" I asked, laughing.

"Cause they might not have realized they were in a stolen vehicle."

"Wasn't the screwdriver crammed in the ignition a dead-giveaway? And didn't
they flee for no other apparent reason?"

"Well, son. Maybe they were just stupid. Anyway, that's the law, and that's
what I server."

-Steve (Boots)

Ron Cole

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
: Why would looking at the code make a smidgen of difference? Vryce has
: publically admitted he uses diku/merc code, theres no doubt of that. And
: if you read through the license.doc and license.txt, its not terribly
: hard to see how he has violated both of those documents.

I don't know anything about the source of all of the accusations as I've
only been on this newsgroup for about a month. I formed my conclusions by
sifting through all of the crap the anti-med people have posted. It
looked to me like you were accusing Vyrce of taking someones code,
removing the copyright notices, putting it on the net, and making money in
the process. Considering the behavior of the accusers, I found the whole
scenario highly unlikely. If your going to assult every newbie that comes
to this group and plays on Med, then create a FAQ and politely direct them
to it. It'll work a lot better than leaping down their throats over an
issure they probably know nothing about.

However, I suspect this is all falling on deaf ears.

Ron

Zump

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Ron Cole (ron...@news.intercom.net) wrote:
: I don't know anything about the source of all of the accusations as I've

: only been on this newsgroup for about a month. I formed my conclusions by
: sifting through all of the crap the anti-med people have posted. It
: looked to me like you were accusing Vyrce of taking someones code,

1) Vryce is running a Merc based MUD, so yes, he took someone's code.

: removing the copyright notices,

2) As of a couple weeks ago, yes, the names of the Diku team that were
supposed to be on the banner were gone.

: putting it on the net,

3) Yes, it was on the net until a week or two back when the system supposedly
crashed.

: and making money in the process.

4) Getting people to send you donations for a SIMM with a street price $200
less than what you say it costs sounds like at least a $200 profit. Never
mind the fact that getting other people to buy you SIMMs is a form of
profit as well.

: Considering the behavior of the accusers, I found the whole

: scenario highly unlikely. If your going to assult every newbie that comes
: to this group and plays on Med, then create a FAQ and politely direct them
: to it. It'll work a lot better than leaping down their throats over an
: issure they probably know nothing about.

Why? It has been stated a zillion times, and people don't seem able to
understand it. For an example, see above.

: However, I suspect this is all falling on deaf ears.

My thoughts exactly.

Pete

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
: >: > Matuse, what State(s) are you admitted to practice law?
: >
: >: Dunno, which states are you licensed to say that the violation hasn't
: >: occured?
: >
: > New York.

: Really now...and you've looked at copies of the license.txt and license.doc?
: No, that would be way too much to ask.

: Not that I really believe you anyway, its easy to claim.

I have looked at the licenses. They are vague. Ahh, so now you do
not believe I am admitted to practice. How about I send you proof? or
better yet....the bills for my law school loans!

Pete

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
: Ah, so if you found a guy shooting people..."let him alone, he might be
: innocent!". Lovely attitude, typical lawyer shit.

No. You arrest him. You give him his due process. You dont lynch
him right there on the street. If you are ever are accused of anything,
speeding for example, think about whether you want to be found guilty on the
spot.

Tranquility

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
On Sun, 16 Jul 1995, Sultress wrote:

> No, nothing will ever come of it because it would never stand up in
> court. Any half competent attorny can tell you that. The license.doc,
> which was poorly written to say the least, is extremely vague leaving way
> too much room for interpretation. It says nothing about not accepting
> donations, or soliciting them for that matter. While the Diku team
> didn't envision the monster they were creating, create it they did. Their
> single statement relating to financial gain, which goes something like
> "you are not to make a profit of any kind", was the extent of the
> protection they asked for.

So, when med goes down and Vryce has this great machine funded with
"donations", what are the donating players going to get back? Hell, if
that's not a profit, I'm gonna start a non-profit organization too.

> In defining what a profit is, we have heard it all here in this group. So
> please.. save it. The legality of it all will never be decided here. I
> put my dollar in, only because you have presided over a case and made
> conviction when charges have yet to be filed, with your "It's illegal."
> statment above. Sure... it's your "right" to bark as loud as you wish on
> the subject.. i just reminds me of the old jumping on the bandwagon
> protesters.

Yes, I am convinced you're guilty. No, charges haven't been filed and
this hasn't gone to trial, and that's why I'm talking here, and not in court.

> Doesn't it seem a little strange that nobody in this group ever seems to
> comment one way or another about the OTHER muds who also take in
> donations, or the ones who actually SELL mega statted eq for real life
> money? You'd think Medievia invented the concept or something.
> Yep.. your choice to sit on your butt while the same thing goes on around
> you, but when you see Medievia, your ass suddenly shifts into gear.
> It's either the purest form of flattery, or the most pathetic excuse
> yet for saying anything.

And when they show up and it's made known to me that the "OTHER" muds are
doing the same thing, I'll be sure to flame them too. So far, I've only
heard about med and snidermud, and I've posted my opinions about both in
the past. (The whole "corvette-chevette-chevrolet" thread comes to mind.)

> They? they? they? who are they? You are again speaking of and for, that
> which you have yet to recieve clues for. You are right about one thing.
> we dont give a rats ass about flames so obviously uninformed and petty.

"They" are the ones you are defending, med and its administrators. I've
received plenty of clues. I've seen the login screen, and the posting
asking for donations in return for equipment has been posted here
before. (By you, if I'm not mistaken.) And you don't thrive on negative
publicity? If you didn't, you wouldn't trade flames with these posts,
and the threads would die before they started. Go ahead and prove me
wrong here.

> But hey... go right ahead. They do provide SOME entertainment value,
> since the BEST mud in mudville is unavailable right now.

Why is it the best? I've been on others before, and I didn't consider it
the best. Other people have, too. Besides, I thought a mud had to be up
to be considered the best. Wait...I remember now. The ANSI colors.
Okay, you got me. Yeah, yeah, I know, it comes with stock Circlemud
code, but who can compete with ANSI?

* Visit PhoenixMUD or DIE! * Telnet to sirius.nmt.edu 4000 to live. *
* We have ways to make you mud.* All flames to bl...@crow.cybercomm.net *

Schultz, Russell

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
bo...@phoenix.ucr.edu (Steve Thomas) wrote:
>Funny. With my education, I learned quite a LOT about the law. Words
>and phrases keep coming back, such as "innocent until proven guilty",
>"due process", and "court of law". Of course, I think people are morons
>who forget these basics when discussing the law. There's a multitude of
>things I ignore, except for people who disregard due process...cause it's
>illegal.

Well, the facts are there. It medievia is based on DIKU, it doesnt have the credits, therefore it is in violation of the license, b=
lah blah blah.

Of course, in the eyes of the law, its not PROVEN guilty, and therefore the law cannot enforce whatever punishment is deemed proper =
and appropriate by the powers that be.

Russ/Poo...@ronin.bchs.uh.edu 5000

Jon Fenn

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
>So, when med goes down and Vryce has this great machine funded with
>"donations", what are the donating players going to get back? Hell, if

>that's not a profit, I'm gonna start a non-profit organization too.

If he puts all of the money into the MUD he is not making a Profit. What
the players get back is very entertaining and addicting MUD.

-
Jekar EQH...@prodigy.com
-Honor to the SKP, the Coes and the Jekarian Family-

Matuse

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
In article <3ubaf5$f...@shore4.intercom.net> ron...@news.intercom.net (Ron Cole) writes:
>: Why would looking at the code make a smidgen of difference? Vryce has
>: publically admitted he uses diku/merc code, theres no doubt of that. And
>: if you read through the license.doc and license.txt, its not terribly
>: hard to see how he has violated both of those documents.
>
>I don't know anything about the source of all of the accusations as I've
>only been on this newsgroup for about a month. I formed my conclusions by
>sifting through all of the crap the anti-med people have posted. It
>looked to me like you were accusing Vyrce of taking someones code,
>removing the copyright notices, putting it on the net, and making money in
>the process. Considering the behavior of the accusers, I found the whole
>scenario highly unlikely.

The behavior of the accusers is due to the lengthiness of this particular
arguement...going on...hmm, i guess its close to a year now.

Here is the exact accusation against Vryce: 1) He FTPd a copy of the merc
source code (version # is irrelevant to this). 2) He made his little mud,
and claimed that because it was so different that it no longer fell under
the auspices of the license.doc and license.txt *this is the first problem*,
since by modifying 1 line, and by admitting he was using merc code, the
license is still in full effect no matter how much he changes. 3) He
removed the required credits from the login screen, which are a
stipulated requirement of running the mud, as outlined in the license.doc/txt
documents. 4) He started charging money for items in the game, which more
than blatantly goes against further rules outlined in the licenses to which
Vryce agreed as soon as he modified a single letter of the code.

>If your going to assult every newbie that comes
>to this group and plays on Med, then create a FAQ and politely direct them
>to it. It'll work a lot better than leaping down their throats over an
>issure they probably know nothing about.

But leaping down people's throat is so much more fun than just
saying "go read the 'theivia FAQ".

Christopher Willis

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
In article <matuseDB...@netcom.com>, mat...@netcom.com says...

>In article <3uad6i$6...@panix2.panix.com> pe...@panix.com (Pete) writes:
>>Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
>>: >Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
>>: >: Why would looking at the code make a smidgen of difference? Vryce has
>>: >: publically admitted he uses diku/merc code, theres no doubt of that.
And
>>: >: if you read through the license.doc and license.txt, its not terribly
>>: >: hard to see how he has violated both of those documents.
>>: >
>>: > Matuse, what State(s) are you admitted to practice law?
>>
>>: Dunno, which states are you licensed to say that the violation hasn't
>>: occured?
>>
>> New York.
>
>Really now...and you've looked at copies of the license.txt and license.doc?
>No, that would be way too much to ask.
>
>Not that I really believe you anyway, its easy to claim.

OK, God or Matuse or whatever you want to call or think of yourself as,
I'll bite. Where do I get copies of license.txt and license.doc so I can
read them for myself and make my OWN opinion, instead of you trying to
spoon feed me one.

--
Sincerely,
Mandorallen, the Bastard Baron of Vo Mandor

"'Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war."
William Shakespeare

Sultress

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:

: Really now...and you've looked at copies of the license.txt and license.doc?

: No, that would be way too much to ask.

: Not that I really believe you anyway, its easy to claim.

Believe him. I know for a fact he speaks the truth. I also know he has
read the license.* because he read them to me over the phone.

Still though, you will no doubt claim i am lying.. anything not to have
to deal with the facts.

furry one

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:

: Really now...and you've looked at copies of the license.txt and license.doc?
: No, that would be way too much to ask.

Hey, Matuse.. I think it's time to break out the license.* for these
people again :)

[n this, and you will spontaneously combust! and don't say you didn't
read it!]

---------------------------- license.doc ---------------------------
[coders' addresses taken out for brevity]

This document contains the rules by which you can use, alter or publish
parts of DikuMud. DikuMud has been created by the above five listed persons
in their spare time, at DIKU (Computer Science Instutute at Copenhagen
University). You are legally bound to follow the rules described in this
document.

Rules:

!! DikuMud is NOT Public Domain, shareware, careware or the like !!

You may under no circumstances make profit on *ANY* part of DikuMud in
any possible way. You may under no circumstances charge money for
distributing any part of dikumud - this includes the usual $5 charge
for "sending the disk" or "just for the disk" etc.
By breaking these rules you violate the agreement between us and the
University, and hence will be sued.

You may not remove any copyright notices from any of the documents or
sources given to you.

This license must *always* be included "as is" if you copy or give
away any part of DikuMud (which is to be done as described in this
document).

If you publish *any* part of dikumud, we as creators must appear in the
article, and the article must be clearly copyrighted subject to this
license. Before publishing you must first send us a message, by
snail-mail or e-mail, and inform us what, where and when you are
publishing (remember to include your address, name etc.)

If you wish to setup a version of DikuMud on any computer system, you
must send us a message , by snail-mail or e-mail, and inform us where
and when you are running the game. (remember to include
your address, name etc.)

Any running version of DikuMud must include our names in the login
sequence. Furthermore the "credits" command shall always cointain
our name, addresses, and a notice which states we have created DikuMud.

You are allowed to alter DikuMud, source and documentation as long as
you do not violate any of the above stated rules.

Regards,

The DikuMud Group

Note:

We hope you will enjoy DikuMud, and encourage you to send us any reports
on bugs (when you find 'it'). Remember that we are all using our spare
time to write and improve DikuMud, bugs, etc. - and changes will take their
time. We have so far put extremely many programming hours into this project.
If you make any major improvements on DikuMud we would be happy to
hear from you. As you will naturally honor the above rules, you will receive
new updates and improvements made to the game.

--------------------- license.txt (Merc addition) -----------------------

Merc Release 2.2
Wednesday 24 November 1993

Kahn
Hatchet

=== Copyright and License Terms

Diku Mud is copyright (C) 1990, 1991 by Sebastian Hammer, Michael Seifert,
Hans Henrik St{rfeldt, Tom Madsen, and Katja Nyboe. Their license agreement
is in the file 'license.doc'.

Merc Diku Mud is a derivative of the original Diku Mud and is subject to their
copyright and license agreement. Merc Diku Mud contains substantial
enhancements to Diku Mud. These enhancements are copyright 1992, 1993 by
Michael Chastain, Michael Quan, and Mitchell Tse.

In order to use Merc you must follow the Diku license and our license. The
exact terms of the Diku license are in the file 'license.doc'. A summary of
these terms is:

-- No resale or operation for profit.
-- Original author's names must appear in login sequence.
-- The 'credits' command must report original authors.
-- You must notify the Diku creators that you are operating a Diku mud.

Our license terms are:

-- Copyrights must remain in original source.
-- 'Help merc' must report our help text, as shipped.

Notice that our license terms don't include keeping our names in the login
sequence. If you want to keep a line in there referring to Merc, or referring
to us by name (Furey, Hatchet, and Kahn), we'd appreciate that, but we don't
require it. But you must keep the original Diku authors in the login sequence.

If you do not follow these license terms, we will ask you to comply. If that
doesn't work, then we will talk to your system administrators (not about your
running a mud, but on the grounds that you're using our copyrighted software
without permission).

These are very generous terms for any software. If you don't want to accept
them, feel free to run some other software, or write your own.

I love the last few paragraphs of the Merc coders' addition.

--
mo...@furry.misty.com ()__() || And I am the Iconoclast, an unconventional
Michael Kelly (oo) || eccentric who marches to a different
Hatfield, Pennsylvania ==()== || drummer. *WHACK* Er.. But you may call me..
..Noodle Noggin.

furry one

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Sultress (s...@netcom.com) wrote:

: Doesn't it seem a little strange that nobody in this group ever seems to

: comment one way or another about the OTHER muds who also take in
: donations, or the ones who actually SELL mega statted eq for real life
: money? You'd think Medievia invented the concept or something.
: Yep.. your choice to sit on your butt while the same thing goes on around
: you, but when you see Medievia, your ass suddenly shifts into gear.
: It's either the purest form of flattery, or the most pathetic excuse
: yet for saying anything.

The other muds that DO accept their donations don't go FLAPPIN their yap
all over Usenet with their spew! The only reason you get so much
attention is because you *call it to yourself*, what with the popularity
of the mud - that attracts readers, but then you have to go and annoy
us with your stupid annual "statements" about how the mud is doing. Then
little birds who are unsatisified with Medievia post your bulletins about
how Vryce wants donations. THAT is why YOU get all the attention. Sure,
it goes on other muds, and that's a damned shame. You make it worse by
publically saying you do. Then you don't respond to critical arguments,
and then wonder why we resort to speculation.

[er, you is the collective Medievia & PR, not you, Sultress.]

I don't see the other muds who accept donations a) come out and yap for
support, and b) publically say they DO accept them. And those who do are
shunned by the regular rgmd gang, just like Medieiva.

R. Janosevic

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Phil Priston (ph...@marleyext.com) wrote:
: In article: <3u5f6o$q...@news.orst.edu> gen...@ucs.orst.edu (Kim Gentry) writes:
: _> I'm willing to try other muds, but I still think that I would come back
: _> to Med for one reason: other players. I have made some really good
: _> friends on Med, and I'm not willing to give them up in the name of
: _> alleged code theft.
: _>

: What do you mean alledged? the original creators of Diku and Merc have
: publically stated that Vryce has stolen their code.
: They cannot afford a law suit and so have on many occasion asked the
: MUDing community to boycott Vryces MUD. The people you see hear
: flamming those who play Medievia (however its spelt!) are doing so because
: these people are in many cases ignoring the wishes of those people, who
: enabled Medievia and hundreds of other MUDs to exist.
: *shrug*
: So if you read this, and still play Medithievia (or whatever) then please do
: not get on your high horse about the rest of us, since you are as bad as
: Vryce in supporting this Theft.
: Phil...
: --
: ______/~~~~~~\_/~\_____/~\_/~\__________'"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""\_
: _____/~\__/~\_/~\_________/~\____'''''__'" Marley Extrusions Ltd. '"\_
: ____/~~~~~~\_/~~~~~\_/~\_/~\____''''""~_'" Phil Priston '"\_
: ___/~\______/~\_/~\_/~\_/~\______'"""~__'" Ph...@marleyext.com '"\_
: __/~\______/~\_/~\_/~\_/~~~~~~~\________""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""\_

R. Janosevic

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95

Phil Priston (ph...@marleyext.com) wrote:
<snip>

: What do you mean alledged? the original creators of Diku and Merc have
: publically stated that Vryce has stolen their code.
: They cannot afford a law suit and so have on many occasion asked the
: MUDing community to boycott Vryces MUD. The people you see hear
: flamming those who play Medievia (however its spelt!) are doing so because
: these people are in many cases ignoring the wishes of those people, who
: enabled Medievia and hundreds of other MUDs to exist.
: *shrug*
: So if you read this, and still play Medithievia (or whatever) then please do
: not get on your high horse about the rest of us, since you are as bad as
: Vryce in supporting this Theft.
: Phil...

This is my first post in this conference, but as a Medievia player I just
wanted to throw in my 2 cents (since it seems that any asshole off the
street can do it).

I've been playing Medievia for a few months now, and this is the first
I've heard about any alledged theft of mud-code. And I DO say alledged
because whether you like it or not, Vryce is innocent until proven
guilty. I could very well say that Vryce stole my idea for the
Catacombs. It wouldn't be true, but I could still say it.

In playing Medievia I have joined a great clan (this is the first mud
I've played that has them) and I've made many friends both in and out of
the aforementioned clan. I'm very close to 26th level and I don't want
to see the mud go down.

Whether or not Vryce (or anyone else for that matter) stole (borrowed
long-term) anything, I cannot say. Do I care? No.
He didn't steal anything from me, and I enjoy playing his mud.
If you are of the opinion that Vryce has comitted a crime, then please,
feel free to boycott his mud. No-one is forcing (or even asking) you to
play it.

I am aware that Vryce has asked for donations, and while donators do gain
a nifty little treat (the medallion) it is far from necessary to get
anywhere in the mud. I know because I do NOT have one.

It boils down to this:
Vryce has not stolen anything from me, so I don't give a rat's ass what
you, or the original Diku authors, or anyone else says. I play Medievia,
I like Medievia, and (if it ever comes back online) I will return to
Medievia.

Doug, aka Nikodemus.
Fuck you very much.

Sultress

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
furry one (mo...@furry.misty.com) wrote:
: Sultress (s...@netcom.com) wrote:

: The other muds that DO accept their donations don't go FLAPPIN their yap

: all over Usenet with their spew! The only reason you get so much
: attention is because you *call it to yourself*, what with the popularity
: of the mud - that attracts readers, but then you have to go and annoy
: us with your stupid annual "statements" about how the mud is doing. Then
: little birds who are unsatisified with Medievia post your bulletins about
: how Vryce wants donations. THAT is why YOU get all the attention. Sure,
: it goes on other muds, and that's a damned shame. You make it worse by
: publically saying you do. Then you don't respond to critical arguments,
: and then wonder why we resort to speculation.

Furr you are so full of it i am amazed you can breathe.

: [er, you is the collective Medievia & PR, not you, Sultress.]

And i mean YOU Furr, and only you.

: I don't see the other muds who accept donations a) come out and yap for

: support, and b) publically say they DO accept them. And those who do are
: shunned by the regular rgmd gang, just like Medieiva.

No Imp from Medievia has EVER asked this group for support of any kind.
And yeah, we admit to accepting them... i guess we should lie about it,
huh? "shunned by the regular rgmd gang" oh puh-lease.. It is so funny
how you never have shit to say around here until the flames about
Medievia are brought up, then you jump in with your best scorchers. As an
EX-Medievia IMP, it is understandable that you would want to get back at
the mud that sent you packing for... uhmm what was it? cheating?

Cut the holier than thou routine... doesnt look good with that crooked
halo you are wearing.

Christopher Willis

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
In article <3uc4sp$q...@netaxs.com>, mo...@furry.misty.com says...

>Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
>
>: Really now...and you've looked at copies of the license.txt and
license.doc?
>: No, that would be way too much to ask.
>
>Hey, Matuse.. I think it's time to break out the license.* for these
>people again :)
>
>[n this, and you will spontaneously combust! and don't say you didn't
>read it!]

(Parts deemed irrelevant to this post removed for brevity.)

> You may under no circumstances make profit on *ANY* part of DikuMud in
> any possible way. You may under no circumstances charge money for
> distributing any part of dikumud - this includes the usual $5 charge
> for "sending the disk" or "just for the disk" etc.
> By breaking these rules you violate the agreement between us and the
> University, and hence will be sued.

Ok boys and girls, on the point of profit: In my dictionary, the word
profit is defined as "The return on a business undertaking after all
operating expenses are met." Now considering the cost of the machine that
Medievia runs on, the cost of the link to the net every month, and the
cost of any upgrades and general maintenance, I seriously doubt that Vryce
has made a "profit". Asking for donations from anyone who is willing
to send them may be in bad taste in your opinion, but I don't think it
violates the license. If the DIKU Team feels that it does, then they
can rewrite the license and make it a little clearer.

> Any running version of DikuMud must include our names in the login
> sequence. Furthermore the "credits" command shall always cointain
> our name, addresses, and a notice which states we have created DikuMud.

Here I can see your point. I don't recall seeing the names of the DIKU
Team last time I logged on at Medievia. Now assuming Vryce is using their
code, (Yes assuming. I've never personally looked at the code so I don't
know do I? But for the sake of argument, we'll assume he is.) he should
put their names into the login screen. For those of you who may not have
known, their is a listing of the credits in Med. It hasn't been taken out
entirely. But yes, it should still be put back in the login sequence.

One last point. I know many of you don't care for Medievia for these two
reasons. Before you go around shouting "Thief!", stop to think if you've
ever "borrowed" the original disks of a program from a friend and installed
it on your computer. Or maybe downloaded a shareware program and never
registered it, yet you still use it. Or just blatantly copied a program.
You are all just as guilty as what you're blaming Vryce for. And before
you reply saying "I never did any of that!", get a picture taken of
yourselves conducting Sunday Mass, then I MIGHT believe you.

furry one

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95

: : Sultress (s...@netcom.com) wrote:

: : The other muds that DO accept their donations don't go FLAPPIN their yap
: : all over Usenet with their spew! The only reason you get so much

: Furr you are so full of it i am amazed you can breathe.

What does this have to do with being "full of it"? You're the one running
around like a chicken with its head cut off, waving medthievia's penis
around like some sort of twirl-toy and THEN say "Doesn't it seem a little

strange that nobody in this group ever seems to comment one way or another

about the OTHER muds who also take in donations" like they're making as
much noise as you. Huh-uh.

: : [er, you is the collective Medievia & PR, not you, Sultress.]

: And i mean YOU Furr, and only you.

Noted. I speak for myself. You speak for Medievia. Medievia has a
great presence here based on your arguments.

: : I don't see the other muds who accept donations a) come out and yap for

: : support, and b) publically say they DO accept them. And those who do are
: : shunned by the regular rgmd gang, just like Medieiva.

: No Imp from Medievia has EVER asked this group for support of any kind.
: And yeah, we admit to accepting them... i guess we should lie about it,
: huh? "shunned by the regular rgmd gang" oh puh-lease.. It is so funny
: how you never have shit to say around here until the flames about
: Medievia are brought up, then you jump in with your best scorchers. As an
: EX-Medievia IMP, it is understandable that you would want to get back at
: the mud that sent you packing for... uhmm what was it? cheating?

Of course I have something to say when Medievia's involved. I know what
goes on there, I see from experience since I was an imp. I want other
people to know what Vryce is up to with his unethical stunts. If it
wasn't for Avi and netaxs providing him the net, I wouldn't waste my
time posting here, I'd sure as hell be doing other things. I know why
I was kicked off of Medievia, it was cause a) vryce stole someone from
me and b) I wasn't kissin ass enough. Obviously, you're doing well in
that area, as no god lasts without it.

: Cut the holier than thou routine... doesnt look good with that crooked
: halo you are wearing.

I am holier than thou. I would never sink to Medthievia's unethical
practices.

--
mo...@furry.misty.com ()__() || And I am the Iconoclast, an unconventional

Chernobyl Enterprises (oo) || eccentric who marches to a different

Kenneth Cavness

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
,pe...@panix.com (Pete) wrote:

<snip>

> : > Matuse, what State(s) are you admitted to practice law?
>
> : Dunno, which states are you licensed to say that the violation hasn't
> : occured?
>
> New York.

Oh, that would explain why you're wrong then.

<insert useless flame here. :P >

Kenneth Cavness
cav...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu, ilse...@mail.utexas.edu,
mor...@menzo.sojourn.com, star...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu

Tranquility

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
On 17 Jul 1995, Christopher Willis wrote:

> Ok boys and girls, on the point of profit: In my dictionary, the word
> profit is defined as "The return on a business undertaking after all
> operating expenses are met." Now considering the cost of the machine that
> Medievia runs on, the cost of the link to the net every month, and the
> cost of any upgrades and general maintenance, I seriously doubt that Vryce
> has made a "profit". Asking for donations from anyone who is willing
> to send them may be in bad taste in your opinion, but I don't think it
> violates the license. If the DIKU Team feels that it does, then they
> can rewrite the license and make it a little clearer.

Bear in mind I'm not flaming you...it's nice to see a little logic here
every so often. =) That sounds like a good definition of profit, but
remember the upgrades you just mentioned. Those are upgrades Vryce is
going to keep after the mud is down. In my opinion, that's a profit.
Someone else might not think so. It would have to be decided in a court,
which unfortunately probably won't happen.

> Here I can see your point. I don't recall seeing the names of the DIKU
> Team last time I logged on at Medievia. Now assuming Vryce is using their
> code, (Yes assuming. I've never personally looked at the code so I don't
> know do I? But for the sake of argument, we'll assume he is.) he should
> put their names into the login screen. For those of you who may not have
> known, their is a listing of the credits in Med. It hasn't been taken out
> entirely. But yes, it should still be put back in the login sequence.

Here's my other point: if it's original code, why are their announcements
and ads posted here?

> One last point. I know many of you don't care for Medievia for these two
> reasons. Before you go around shouting "Thief!", stop to think if you've
> ever "borrowed" the original disks of a program from a friend and installed
> it on your computer. Or maybe downloaded a shareware program and never
> registered it, yet you still use it. Or just blatantly copied a program.
> You are all just as guilty as what you're blaming Vryce for. And before
> you reply saying "I never did any of that!", get a picture taken of
> yourselves conducting Sunday Mass, then I MIGHT believe you.

Good point, but there are some other things we have to discuss. Most
shareware I see these days is crippleware or timed, which DikuMUD isn't.
It's alot easier to steal this than most other shareware programs.

As far as stealing regular software...heheheh. Once I wanted to run a
program that would only work under Windows 3x. I thought about asking my
brother for his copy of Windows, but never did borrow it. Reasons:

A: It IS Windows...I don't need to run my program that badly. =)

B: Microsoft can and would sue the living shit out of me if they found
out I was doing this. They've got the time, the inclination, and the
money. The Diku team doesn't.

The only programs I really run on my PC are DOS (came with comp), my word
processor (came with comp), and my comm program (purchased from a
software outlet). I've used shareware before, but in every case I've
deleted it well before the test period expired. Might have to do with
the fact that I'm using a 41 meg HD. =) But still, the point is, there
ARE people out there that practice what they preach.

Matuse

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
In article <sinDBt...@netcom.com> s...@netcom.com (Sultress) writes:
>Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
>
>: Really now...and you've looked at copies of the license.txt and license.doc?
>: No, that would be way too much to ask.
>
>: Not that I really believe you anyway, its easy to claim.
>
>Believe him. I know for a fact he speaks the truth. I also know he has
>read the license.* because he read them to me over the phone.
>
>Still though, you will no doubt claim i am lying.. anything not to have
>to deal with the facts.

No, I'm vaguely inclined to believe you...it just tells me that he's a
moron (of course, he's a lawyer...calling him a moron is redundant)

Phil Priston

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
In article: <3uadtj$4...@informer1.cis.McMaster.CA> u900...@muss.CIS.McMaster.CA (R. Janosevic) writes:
[...]

and its thankx to people like you that criminals exist in this world...
hope you can say the same thing once you have had something
stolen from you.
_>
_> Doug, aka Nikodemus.
_> Fuck you very much.
_>
_>
_>

Phil Priston

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95

Date: Monday, Jul 17, 1995 09.38.26

In article: <3u8kgv$n...@eiger.pncl.co.uk> r...@pncl.co.uk (Harvey Gilpin) writes:

_> That's what I figured. That would be my problem in your position. So
_> why not take them with you? Presumably there must be some Medievia
_> mudders that DO give a toss about the rest of the mudding community
_> and arn't completely self centered, so why not all hunt arround for
_> another mud and then relocate together?
_> Get a big warparty and invade some poor, unsuspecting mud :)
_>
Goog GOD man! what are you saying!
I am certainly glad I am not imp'ing an active MUD atm...
*shrug*
Phil...

_> Rv.
_>
_>
_> /*. "Dry humor? where? I'm thirsty." - Harvey Gilpin - r...@pncl.co.uk .*/

Matuse

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
In article <3ucejf$p...@noc.thegroup.net> cwi...@thegroup.net (Christopher Willis) writes:
>In article <3uc4sp$q...@netaxs.com>, mo...@furry.misty.com says...
>>Matuse (mat...@netcom.com) wrote:
>(Parts deemed irrelevant to this post removed for brevity.)
>> Any running version of DikuMud must include our names in the login
>> sequence. Furthermore the "credits" command shall always cointain
>> our name, addresses, and a notice which states we have created DikuMud.
>

>Here I can see your point. I don't recall seeing the names of the DIKU
>Team last time I logged on at Medievia. Now assuming Vryce is using their
>code, (Yes assuming. I've never personally looked at the code so I don't
>know do I? But for the sake of argument, we'll assume he is.)

Since he has publically admitted to using merc code, theres no assuming
about it :)

Matuse

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
In article <3uadtj$4...@informer1.cis.McMaster.CA> u900...@muss.CIS.McMaster.CA (R. Janosevic) writes:
>Phil Priston (ph...@marleyext.com) wrote:
>This is my first post in this conference, but as a Medievia player I just
>wanted to throw in my 2 cents (since it seems that any asshole off the
>street can do it).

As you are demonstrating quite adequately here.

>In playing Medievia I have joined a great clan (this is the first mud
>I've played that has them) and I've made many friends both in and out of
>the aforementioned clan. I'm very close to 26th level and I don't want
>to see the mud go down.

Wow, level 25 out of over 100...and only that after a "few months" Keep
these players slut, they suck.

>I am aware that Vryce has asked for donations, and while donators do gain

>a nifty little treat (the medallion) it is far from necessary to get

>anywhere in the mud. I know because I do NOT have one.

And look how high level you are without it *snicker*.

>It boils down to this:

>Vryce has not stolen anything from me, so I don't give a rat's ass what

>you, or the original Diku authors, or anyone else says. I play Medievia,

>I like Medievia, and (if it ever comes back online) I will return to

>Medievia.

What a lovely mature attitude you have...such respect for the law and
private property and copyrights. Here, lets modify this: "The nazi's
didn't kill any of my relatives, so I don't care what you, or the Nuremburg
tribunal said!"

Stephen E. Persons

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95

In a previous article, jor...@primenet.com stats:

>Another interesting side note i thought up...
>An anonymous Med IMM has verified to me that at least 60 of those nifty
>items that you can only have by sending a $20 "donation" (checks and money
>orders payable to Mike Krause (hmm, why not Intense Software?)) have been
>created. Hmmmmmm
>60 "donations" @ $20 each... = $1200

This is not intended to be a flame. But to inform you, you calculations may be
wrong. Not every piece of those "nifty" items goes to donating players.
I would assume the gods have some. But I DO know a person who got one of each
of the items for just helping Vryce test part of a new area (or some new rooms
or something like that). So, before other people go flaming around about how
Vryce has just made $1200, you may want to find out all the facts first. I'm
sure some of them have been obtained through donation, but not all.

Stephen E. Persons

Matthew Mac gibbon

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95

> fine lets, assume that only half have made it through donations.

thats 600.00

Not bad vryce, i give you do credit....

No respect mind you, just credit for nicely using a loophole to screw
some very nice people over.
Stephen E. Persons

Matthew Mac gibbon

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95

PS: if you want to mail me, reach me at "mir...@panix.com"

Just so you know, it is people like Medevia that give mud coders a bad
name. It is also people like them that are ruining the future for other
muds.

Well, a while back, I was considering putting my driver which im working
on the market, letting people have access to another driver. Hell i
figured it would be fun to go onto a mud, and see my driver in action,
being modified etc. However, i have long since decided against that. It
seems clear to me that if i were to do so, i would have to obtain a
professional lawyer, and develop a well thought out license. I would
never go about paying the hundreds of dollars to do this to release
public code. I also know other people who have written fantastic drivers
who think the same.

But hey, you have your mud, who cares who Vryce is screwing. Who cares
that the diku people clearly didnt want this. Who cares that he hasnt
done half the ammt of coding that they did. I just hope you never want
to run a mud with a better driver. Cause you better write it yourself,
its not going to be available for FTP.

Next on the size of medievia: *laughs* *rolls on floor, laughing* *tears
from laughter* Heh, if you cant find a mud with more than 5 people on it,
that says alot. I no longer mud per say, and i could find many many
muds with many many players. But i guess that says a lot that you can't
doesnt it.

BTW, did you achieve level 105 yet? Isnt that the one where you can
emote?

-
MATTHEW MAC GIBBON mir...@panix.com
Alternate E-MAIL: ma...@sestran.com
http://www.sestran.com/user/scimitar/matt.html

Sultress

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
: : : Sultress (s...@netcom.com) wrote:

: : : The other muds that DO accept their donations don't go FLAPPIN their yap
: : : all over Usenet with their spew! The only reason you get so much
: : Furr you are so full of it i am amazed you can breathe.

: What does this have to do with being "full of it"? You're the one running
: around like a chicken with its head cut off, waving medthievia's penis
: around like some sort of twirl-toy and THEN say "Doesn't it seem a little
: strange that nobody in this group ever seems to comment one way or another
: about the OTHER muds who also take in donations" like they're making as
: much noise as you. Huh-uh.

Full of it as in full of shit.. you DO know what that is, doncha? As
for running around like a whatever.. not true.. this thread and the
others like it were well underway and had been for some time before i
said anything. The truth is, nobody would have shit to say about the
donations if it wasn't just another way to bash Medievia.

: Noted. I speak for myself. You speak for Medievia. Medievia has a

: great presence here based on your arguments.

No, Furr you are wrong again. I am speaking for no one but me.

: Of course I have something to say when Medievia's involved. I know what

: goes on there, I see from experience since I was an imp. I want other
: people to know what Vryce is up to with his unethical stunts. If it
: wasn't for Avi and netaxs providing him the net, I wouldn't waste my
: time posting here, I'd sure as hell be doing other things. I know why
: I was kicked off of Medievia, it was cause a) vryce stole someone from
: me and b) I wasn't kissin ass enough. Obviously, you're doing well in
: that area, as no god lasts without it.

Avi and netaxs? I thought he was a friend of yours. As for Vryce
stealing someone from you... wow.. what were you then? about 14? 13? too
funny. Then all this is because he stole your girlfriend.. now it makes
sense. Sorry hun.. but i don't kiss anyone's ass. Not Vryce's, not
yours, not anybody's... (well maybe Asskickers every now and then) My
posting here is in direct violation to what i've been told to do, hardly
something an asskissing individual would do.

: : Cut the holier than thou routine... doesnt look good with that crooked
: : halo you are wearing.

: I am holier than thou. I would never sink to Medthievia's unethical
: practices.

ohhh ya... that's why you were caught hacking into other peoples email
accounts on netaxs, huh?

Sulty

grea...@corp.hp.com

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
Jon Fenn (EQH...@prodigy.com) tried to convince us that:

> >So, when med goes down and Vryce has this great machine funded with
> >"donations", what are the donating players going to get back? Hell, if
> >that's not a profit, I'm gonna start a non-profit organization too.

> If he puts all of the money into the MUD he is not making a Profit. What
> the players get back is very entertaining and addicting MUD.

False. If he were a corporation, it would be the case that, as an individual,
he was not making a profit (if he did not pay himself a salary). As it
stands, he owns the machine and equipment - and that is profit. The question
of Med making a profit and violating the license agreement is not in question.
Both of these have been admitted to by the staff. The issue is why people
continue to flame them.

Robert J. Greanias http://onyx.cencom.net/~fred/ grea...@ptp.hp.com
killfile helper 1.2: JediSojournM*d**v**CanterSiegelTaylorOnivelStanton
IntelMicrosoftPeniswavingSPISPOPDDoomHereticMOOMOMCivMAKE.MONEY.FASTspam
ATMSuperhighwayCyberspaceMultimediaGreenpeaceAmnestyIRACIAKGBAFLCIO49ers
Dertix.netcom.comAOLWin9*OS/2ChicagoCairoScientologyWACOBATFSnopesKiboLA

Nickolas Marple

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
ine.lnx.3.91.950711...@crow.cybercomm.net> <sindbs...@netcom.com> <pine.lnx.3.91.950716...@crow.cybercomm.net> <3ubu1u$27...@usenetw1.news.prodigy.com> <3uf0k4$n...@hpcc48.corp.hp.com>

grea...@corp.hp.com wrote:
[...]

The going rumor, also verified by more than one anonymous Med IMM is that
they need $800 (sheesh, buying it at Wal Mart?) for a 16 Meg SIMM.
So what happened to all those "donations?"

--
Nick Marple / Phoenix, AZ / jor...@primenet.com / jor...@phidar.traveller.com
See the world's worst WWW page: http://www.primenet.com/~jorehn
Come play PHIDAR: gw.traveller.com 9000
--------------------------
"It isn't Brain," said Pooh, "because You Know Why, Rabbit..."
--The House At Pooh Corner

Eric Kidder

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
This is cute, albeit irrelevant, but ...
I played Med to see what it was about. It was fun, but just not my style.
I don't really like the rent system, but again, that's just my style. :-)
I don't play with color, so that was no problem. However, in regard to
whether Vryce is using Diku code. I typed 'credits' and it pretty much
said it all there. Also, I have (if I can find it) a post from Furey
to r.g.m.d "asking" Vryce to put the credits in the title screen. I'll
see if I can find it. (BTW, this is from several months ago) Why the
personal attacks on Medievia players (besides the fact that it's fun)?
Ah well, such is life. Have a nice day everyone :]

Eric (or Joker, Heineken, Archonian, Riddler, or a bunch of other stuff)
(Some like it hot and some laugh, when the heat is on.)

Eric James Kidder Savant Dragon --=(UDIC)=--

Unless otherwise noted, the above views are only my own and not related
to the views of my employer, Purdue University Computing Center, Purdue
University, or anyone related with Purdue.

Eric James Kidder Savant Dragon --=(UDIC)=--

Unless otherwise noted, the above views are only my own and not related
to the views of my employer, Purdue University Computing Center, Purdue
University, or anyone related with Purdue.

It is loading more messages.