CthulhuMUD (kuh-tool-loo)

Christopher Tchou

Oct 6, 1993, 5:33:01 PM10/6/93
Welp, Cthulhu's been quiet for a while, but its back and we may actually have
a public site this time. I guess it all depends on a couple of builders I
have .. but here is a list of changes so far! To entice and excite or to
anger, whatever...

SCORE rewritten to be more vague to lower levels.
Removal of classes, to fit theme and setup.
Skills must be learned at a cost in experience to the player.
ANSI and VT100 codes added for improved readability and added coolness.
Rituals added, require incredible mana and special 'catalyst' items.
Weapon types revamped to allow for multiple strings with same damage type.
Online creation added for improving and adding of areas for game enhancement.
The damage messages are modified to allow different attacks for each type.
SCRAMBLER mobiles move faster than normal mobiles, creating a greater threat.
Certain mobiles respond to words imbedded in your speech.
Spells go awry. Learn casting . . . it's safer.
Items and mobiles burn (causing damage to mobs).
Pouring the contents of liquid containers can extinguish burning items.
Certain mobiles are set up to respond to commands, they will get irritated.
Players who get caught in death traps can commit suicide.
No recall for levels 5 and above.
Item exits allowed for invisible exits and hidden ones.
Exits are JAMMED and PRYED should they need be, this includes item exits.
Book items added for learning skills and spells.
Level locked exits flags.
Climbable exits, increasing difficulty.
Revamped vehicles for added ease of creation. No more 'boats' per se.
Extended descs on mobiles.
ARENA rooms allow pkilling.
Also, PSTEALING is legal, but still death is the punishment.
Now there is an upper limit of 2.14 billion rooms, objects and mobiles.
Armor deteriorates during combat.
You can repair armor that is damaged.~
Spec procedures added to rooms and objects to allow more realism.
The original non-level based stats re-implemented (why was it taken out!).

If you all cought that 7th line, yes there is online building, just like mset
and oset! Thanks to Kalgen on HW for his ideas and to Surreality for coding
it for me. Also, I'd like to invite any area builders interested in building
Cthulhu mythos areas to mail me, though I can't promise much until we get
a public site with more disk space than I have currently. There is more planned,
but I cant garaunte what will and what won't be implemented. Our area file
formats are already non-standard, but converting our hard-worked areas that
currently have been created may be something which wil deter us from continuing
our area-expansion.

Locke
[ct...@cmu.edu]

Herman G. Munster

Oct 6, 1993, 11:58:47 PM10/6/93

> Welp, Cthulhu's been quiet for a while, but its back and we may actually have
> a public site this time. I guess it all depends on a couple of builders I
> have .. but here is a list of changes so far! To entice and excite or to
> anger, whatever...

What the hell is the telnet address?

RJK...@psuvm.psu.edu

Oct 7, 1993, 2:56:43 AM10/7/93