The Forgotten World

DikuMUD Nilgiri

Jan 8, 2002, 8:00:44 AM1/8/02
Tired of the same old dikumud clone that just doesn't have that "UMPH!" ? Do
you fear that the mud you are playing won't be around in a year or so? Do
player file wipes get you down? Do you long for a mud where time and
effort are put into the quality of the game you play? Have you played a
mud where people generally know one another and help each other out?
Look no further! Set your terminal to:

66.38.220.179:8888 nilgiri.mythril.com 8888

DikuMUD Nilgiri, the Forgotten World

http://nilgiri.mythril.com/login.html#bottom

We've been around for some 11 years. We're not as big as some of the
other gigantic muds that have been around as long as us, but we do got
personality :) Our players are loyal, and the game is real.

May your stay be... interesting.

Mike Harrold

Jan 10, 2002, 12:24:30 PM1/10/02
In article <a7ff54c5.02010...@posting.google.com>,

11 years? Can we get your start-up date please?

/Mike

Leave me alone

Jan 10, 2002, 5:44:29 PM1/10/02
yeah i thought diku was made in 93 or so....
"Mike Harrold" <a...@shell.core.com> wrote in message

Farix

Jan 10, 2002, 7:28:01 PM1/10/02
"Leave me alone" <drma...@SPAMMENOTmindspring.com> wrote in message

> yeah i thought diku was made in 93 or so....

More like 91, maybe at early as 90.

Farix, who was playing SillyMUD as early as the spring of 92.

KaVir

Jan 12, 2002, 2:07:28 PM1/12/02
a...@shell.core.com (Mike Harrold) wrote in message news:<3c3dce4e$0$1601$272e...@news.execpc.com>...

1993, according to their post in February 2001:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&frame=right&th=e763b1fd21f52990&seekm=3c3e2ea2_3%40corp.newsgroups.com#link1

And here's a mud list from 11 years ago:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=diku+mud&hl=en&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=12&as_maxm=1&as_maxy=1991&selm=8118%40hub.ucsb.edu&rnum=6

It's spit into four sections: "AberMUD games", "TinyMUD-like games
(MUSHes,
MUCKs, TinyMUDs)", "LPMUD games" and "Miscellanous Multiuser Games".
No sign
of Nilgiri, but under "Miscellanous" we have an interesting looking
mud:

DikuMUD I freja.diku.dk 129.142.96.1 4000

KaVir.

Dennis Towne

Jan 14, 2002, 11:22:38 AM1/14/02
KaVir wrote:

[snip]

> DikuMUD I freja.diku.dk 129.142.96.1 4000
>
> KaVir.

KaVir, glad to see you around again...

I went to ftp.game.org to download a copy of the old Merc 1.0 source,
and it turns out their tarball is corrupted. I managed to cobble
together working source from the ALFA diku dist, but it's still bad that
the premier code archive doesn't have a good copy of it. I talked to
one of the maintainers, but so far as I know neither of us were able to
find an original of the tarball anywhere, only copies of the corrupted
version.

He mentioned that you might have a copy of the original in your archives
somewhere, hence this note to you. If so, would you be willing to make
it available somewhere?

FYI, the corrupted version unpacks a completely trashed version of
src/utility.c, and src/weather.c is missing. Other things are probably
missing as well, but I don't know what exactly to look for.

Thanks,

-dennis T

Holly Sommer

Jan 14, 2002, 4:28:48 PM1/14/02
KaVir wrote:
> 1993, according to their post in February 2001:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&frame=right&th=e763b1fd21f52990&seekm=3c3e2ea2_3%40corp.newsgroups.com#link1
>
> And here's a mud list from 11 years ago:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=diku+mud&hl=en&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=12&as_maxm=1&as_maxy=1991&selm=8118%40hub.ucsb.edu&rnum=6
>
> It's spit into four sections: "AberMUD games", "TinyMUD-like games
> (MUSHes,
> MUCKs, TinyMUDs)", "LPMUD games" and "Miscellanous Multiuser Games".
> No sign
> of Nilgiri, but under "Miscellanous" we have an interesting looking
> mud:
>
> DikuMUD I freja.diku.dk 129.142.96.1 4000
>
> KaVir.

Also, it's possible that Nilgiri started out as some other codebase 11 years
ago, and switched over to the Diku family at some point after that.

-Holly

AxL

Jan 14, 2002, 1:49:40 PM1/14/02
In article <3C4305CE...@xirr.com>,

Dennis Towne <soda...@xirr.com> wrote:

>FYI, the corrupted version unpacks a completely trashed version of
>src/utility.c, and src/weather.c is missing. Other things are probably
>missing as well, but I don't know what exactly to look for.

Hrm, "Merc_10.tar.gz" from ftp.game.org? I just downloaded it myself
a second ago and was able to untar, compile, and run just fine...after
redefining some outdated lib calls of course, but no corrupt files to
be seen.

--
-AxL, a...@wpcr.plymouth.edu "In Christianity, neither morality nor religion
a...@mail.plymouth.edu Come into contact with reality at any point."

KaVir

Jan 14, 2002, 7:53:34 PM1/14/02
Dennis Towne <soda...@xirr.com> wrote in message news:<3C4305CE...@xirr.com>...

> KaVir wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > DikuMUD I freja.diku.dk 129.142.96.1 4000
> >
> > KaVir.
>
> KaVir, glad to see you around again...
>
> I went to ftp.game.org to download a copy of the old Merc 1.0 source,
> and it turns out their tarball is corrupted. I managed to cobble
> together working source from the ALFA diku dist, but it's still bad that
> the premier code archive doesn't have a good copy of it. I talked to
> one of the maintainers, but so far as I know neither of us were able to
> find an original of the tarball anywhere, only copies of the corrupted
> version.

I do indeed have an archive, but unfortunately it was taken from
game.org, and is equally corrupted.

However I do have copies of the Medievia IV utility.c and weather.c
files...they're basically the same, except with Medievia copyright
notices at the top instead of the Merc and Diku ones. If you can't
find a proper copy of Merc 1.0 they might be the next best thing...

KaVir.

Jeremy

Jan 14, 2002, 8:43:36 PM1/14/02

Have a look at this post from 1991-10-31 08:24:03 PST.
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nilgiri&start=90&hl=en&group=rec.games.mud.*&scoring=d&selm=9110301818.AA03497%40wshs.mi.org&rnum=100

There is this line
Forgotten World nilgiri.berkeley.edu 128.32.156.48 5000

-Jeremy

Jon A. Lambert

Jan 14, 2002, 11:07:40 PM1/14/02
"KaVir" <ka...@kavir.org> wrote in message news:cca2208.02011...@posting.google.com...

> However I do have copies of the Medievia IV utility.c and weather.c
> files...they're basically the same, except with Medievia copyright
> notices at the top instead of the Merc and Diku ones. If you can't
> find a proper copy of Merc 1.0 they might be the next best thing...

ROFL.

if(lightening)global_color=33;

Code can be stolen but talent is still safe.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD Email:jlsy...@NOSPAM.ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--

KaVir

Jan 15, 2002, 5:24:58 AM1/15/02
Jeremy <in...@boue.ca> wrote in message news:<ju174ugqktl4bdk5g...@4ax.com>...

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:28:48 -0600, Holly Sommer <hso...@ti.com> wrote:

[snip]

> >Also, it's possible that Nilgiri started out as some other codebase 11 years
> >ago, and switched over to the Diku family at some point after that.

It's possible, but very unlikely - it's hard enough "switching"
between derivatives of Merc, let alone other Diku types. To "switch"
between two codebases which never had anything in common to start
would allow you to copy little more than ideas - which begs the
question of whether or not it would be the same mud at all. I wrote a
rather cool single-player text based game about 12 or 13 years ago -
if I based my muds on concepts from that game, could I claim a mud
that was 12/13 years old?

> Have a look at this post from 1991-10-31 08:24:03 PST.
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nilgiri&start=90&hl=en&group=rec.games.mud.*&scoring=d&selm=9110301818.AA03497%40wshs.mi.org&rnum=100
>
> There is this line
> Forgotten World nilgiri.berkeley.edu 128.32.156.48 5000

Ah, fair enough - it's 10 years old, then :) The only reason I
mentioned 1993 was because that's what they'd claimed in previous
posts.

KaVir.

Holly Sommer

Jan 15, 2002, 12:21:43 PM1/15/02
KaVir wrote:

> Jeremy <in...@boue.ca> wrote in message news:<ju174ugqktl4bdk5g...@4ax.com>...
> > On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:28:48 -0600, Holly Sommer <hso...@ti.com> wrote:
> >

> [snip]
>
> > >Also, it's possible that Nilgiri started out as some other codebase 11 years
> > >ago, and switched over to the Diku family at some point after that.
>
> It's possible, but very unlikely - it's hard enough "switching"
> between derivatives of Merc, let alone other Diku types. To "switch"
> between two codebases which never had anything in common to start
> would allow you to copy little more than ideas - which begs the
> question of whether or not it would be the same mud at all. I wrote a
> rather cool single-player text based game about 12 or 13 years ago -
> if I based my muds on concepts from that game, could I claim a mud
> that was 12/13 years old?

Sure. Grok went from NiMUD to Lp, with area and player files transferred... and
then promptly croaked :) My personal thinking is that it's the idea/concept
which continues from base-to-base, in the event of changing codebases. That's
what was driving my comment.

> > Have a look at this post from 1991-10-31 08:24:03 PST.
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nilgiri&start=90&hl=en&group=rec.games.mud.*&scoring=d&selm=9110301818.AA03497%40wshs.mi.org&rnum=100
> >
> > There is this line
> > Forgotten World nilgiri.berkeley.edu 128.32.156.48 5000
>
> Ah, fair enough - it's 10 years old, then :) The only reason I
> mentioned 1993 was because that's what they'd claimed in previous
> posts.

Stick around long enough, and a 2-year delta doesn't seem like so much.

-Holly

tel...@xenon.triode.net.au

Jan 16, 2002, 8:35:39 AM1/16/02
Holly Sommer <hso...@ti.com> wrote:

> Also, it's possible that Nilgiri started out as some other codebase 11 years
> ago, and switched over to the Diku family at some point after that.

> -Holly

A more likely possibility is that they count in MUD years.

- Tel

Holly Sommer

Jan 16, 2002, 12:16:32 PM1/16/02

Ah, see, now... THAT makes sense! :) Tick or heartbeat?

-Holly

Håvard Lindheim

Jan 18, 2002, 3:38:02 AM1/18/02
> > yeah i thought diku was made in 93 or so....
>
> More like 91, maybe at early as 90.

Grimne DikuMUD (grimne.org 4000) started in feb 1991, so some Diku code
would have been released before that :)

--
Dante @ Grimne

Mike Harrold

Jan 25, 2002, 10:25:02 AM1/25/02
In article <K9R18.192$3mm.17...@news.telia.no>,

No it didn't. AlexMUD (March 9th, 1991) is the oldest surviving DikuMUD
out there, and was the third created (after Alfa and another one that I
can never remember, but I think the Imp was Redcap).

The Diku code is copyrighted 1990/1991.

/Miko@AlexMUD

AxL

Jan 25, 2002, 12:54:28 PM1/25/02
In article <3c5178ce$0$15925$272e...@news.execpc.com>,
Mike Harrold <a...@shell.core.com> wrote:

>No it didn't. AlexMUD (March 9th, 1991) is the oldest surviving DikuMUD
>out there, and was the third created (after Alfa and another one that I
>can never remember, but I think the Imp was Redcap).
>
>The Diku code is copyrighted 1990/1991.
>
>/Miko@AlexMUD

Hrm, well as far as I can recall, the initial lineup is certainly...

1. Diku I
2. Alfa
2. Eris

After that, it appears to have gotten a little murky...Alex, Goldman,
Epic, Grimne, Temple. There were some others as well that ran in
Australia, Alaska, and UKansas, although briefly. Also, some people
go by an "up and running" date, others go by "open to the public" date,
which clouds the issue even more. Either way, its pretty certain that
AlexMUD is the oldest active Diku, yes.

Mike Harrold

Jan 25, 2002, 5:37:29 PM1/25/02
In article <3c519bd4$1...@news.plymouth.edu>, AxL <a...@oz.plymouth.edu> wrote:
>In article <3c5178ce$0$15925$272e...@news.execpc.com>,
>Mike Harrold <a...@shell.core.com> wrote:
>
>>No it didn't. AlexMUD (March 9th, 1991) is the oldest surviving DikuMUD
>>out there, and was the third created (after Alfa and another one that I
>>can never remember, but I think the Imp was Redcap).
>>
>>The Diku code is copyrighted 1990/1991.
>>
>>/Miko@AlexMUD
>
> Hrm, well as far as I can recall, the initial lineup is certainly...
>
>1. Diku I

Did this actually ever exist as a game in its own right?

/Miko@AlexMUD

AxL

Jan 25, 2002, 10:33:35 PM1/25/02
In article <3c51de29$0$15925$272e...@news.execpc.com>,

It was about 8 months before my time, but it seems so, yea. Check
out the links below;

27 Mar, 1990 - "new mud coming up" post by Hans-Henrik St{rfeldt
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=1990Mar27.142023.24354%40diku.dk

26 Dec, 1990 - First mention of "diku" in a rec.games.mud mudlist
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=-1%3F%2BBQC%40irie.ais.org

02 Feb, 1991 - Advertisment from Sebastian Hammer for opening of "DikuMUD"
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=1991Feb3.003514.28517%40odin.diku.dk

Håvard Lindheim

Jan 28, 2002, 4:41:26 AM1/28/02

"Mike Harrold" <a...@shell.core.com> skrev i melding

> >Grimne DikuMUD (grimne.org 4000) started in feb 1991, so some Diku code
> >would have been released before that :)
>
> No it didn't. AlexMUD (March 9th, 1991) is the oldest surviving DikuMUD
> out there, and was the third created (after Alfa and another one that I
> can never remember, but I think the Imp was Redcap).

Ok then, I thought Grimne started in April, but some oldbie told me February
so I thought that was more correct. I'll stick to April :)

Derek Snider

Feb 12, 2002, 11:49:50 AM2/12/02
Dennis Towne <soda...@xirr.com> wrote in message news:<3C4305CE...@xirr.com>...
> KaVir wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > DikuMUD I freja.diku.dk 129.142.96.1 4000
> >
> > KaVir.
>
> KaVir, glad to see you around again...
>
> I went to ftp.game.org to download a copy of the old Merc 1.0 source,
> and it turns out their tarball is corrupted. I managed to cobble
> together working source from the ALFA diku dist, but it's still bad that
> the premier code archive doesn't have a good copy of it. I talked to
> one of the maintainers, but so far as I know neither of us were able to
> find an original of the tarball anywhere, only copies of the corrupted
> version.

It was corrupted... I'm not sure for how long though... could be years.

I replaced the files with utility.c and weather.c from the rom1.tar.Z
distribution (there were unchanged as far as I could tell, and compile
perfectly fine) on Jan 9th 2002, so this is why when AxL downloaded
it on Jan 12th, it worked without problems.

I believe some of the tarballs on ftp.game.org got corrupted some years
ago when we had a hard drive problem. If any other ones are found
corrupted, please let me know :)

-Derek