CircleMUD 2.20 now available at ftp.cs.jhu.edu:pub/CircleMUD

Jeremy Elson

Nov 17, 1993, 4:46:16 AM11/17/93
CircleMUD 2.20 is now available at the same site as always: ftp.cs.jhu.edu
in the directory pub/CircleMUD.

Circle 2.20 supersedes version 2.11, which was released about a month ago.
V2.20 implements several new features, most notably a new output buffer system
as I proposed here a couple of months ago. Also, all bugs reported with
V2.11 have been fixed. (Thanks for those bug reports -- please, keep 'em
coming! I depend on your reports because I don't actually run a CircleMUD
site personally.)

An excerpt from the README file follows.

Enjoy,
Jeremy
jel...@cs.jhu.edu

The latest version of Circle is 2.20, released on November 17, 1993.
Version 2.20 supersedes version 2.11, which was released on September 19, 1993.

Changes in version 2.20 (from 2.11):

New features:

o A completely new output buffering system which is far more network-efficient,
and somewhat more memory- and speed-efficient, than the original Diku system.
Definitely a major win for people with slow Net links. (Details available
by request, but this was discussed on rgmd recently.) Several other
functions (such as do_where() and do_who()) have been rewritten to take
advantage of the new system.

o Redesigned stat screens with better readability

o Command-line substitution via the "^" character (works identically to the
csh command)

o Code sent by Jeff Fink (thanks Jeff!): Help now handles ambiguous cases
correctly (i.e., "help color" will give you help for color and not
colorspray)

o Vstat command to stat mobiles and object by virtual number

o Updated documentation

And, bug fixes of varying degrees of severity:

o SunOS Bus errors on stealing
o +hit item bug
o Switched immort re-login bug
o Mob memory bug
o Poison/Stat bug (I think this one is native to Diku Gamma 0.0 -- the
function hit_gain was responsible for subtracting hits when a char is
poisoned, so you'd lose hits when someone statted you.)
o Stat room bug under Solaris and IRIX
o Ungroup bug
o "goto 3.guard" now works (takes you to the third guard instead of room 3)
o various other minor fixes

--
Jeremy Elson
jel...@cs.jhu.edu (Internet) / jelson@jhuvms (Bitnet)