Medievia, Do you Dare Enter?

Michael Krause Sr.

Jul 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/1/98

Do you DARE enter?
http://www.medievia.com

Medievia is a free online RPG that boasts over 4 million rooms, 140 zones
and an average of 350 players online. Telnet to medievia.com 4000 to join
one of the largest online games in the world.

Why is Medievia so great? Well, despite the size of our world, we have
real-time dragon flight, clans that become like families, kingdoms that
scheme and battle for land, an awesome live auction system, 124 levels with
benefits for achieving the highest level of hero, a multi-class system,
dynamic formations for fighting, trading across a wilderness where roads
don't matter, attacking mob factions that hunt down your freight, an
awesome online newspaper, interactive zones, quests, wagering on hero
battles,
truly admirable reliability (Up and expanding since 1991), and much more!

If you don't believe me, just check out
http://www.medievia.com/reviews.html for
some words from our players!

Once you land in Medievia, you will not want to leave. Prepare for the
adventure of your life.

http://www.medievia.com
Rewritten, Recoded, again and again. We are the mud other muds hate.

Kenneth G. Cavness

Jul 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/1/98

Michael Krause Sr. <mkr...@intersphere.com> foolishly gave up the right to
remain silent in message <01bda4f1$e6638f80$06f7...@krause.medievia.com>:

> Do you DARE enter?
> http://www.medievia.com
>
> Medievia is a free online RPG that boasts over 4 million rooms, 140 zones
^^^^

[snip]

Wow, I know I've been gone for a while, but when the hell did
this happen?

--
Kenneth G. Cavness
http://conan.proxicom.com/~kcavness

Richard Woolcock

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

Kenneth G. Cavness wrote:

> Michael Krause Sr. <mkr...@intersphere.com> foolishly gave up the right to
> remain silent in message <01bda4f1$e6638f80$06f7...@krause.medievia.com>:
> > Do you DARE enter?
> > http://www.medievia.com
> >
> > Medievia is a free online RPG that boasts over 4 million rooms, 140 zones
> ^^^^
>
> [snip]
>
> Wow, I know I've been gone for a while, but when the hell did
> this happen?

It's the first time I've seen it added as an AD feature, and I've been on
these lists for a while. Certainly there have been cases of diku's which
accept donations, but I've yet to see one which actually charges people to
play (I'm sure the diku authors would be similarly interested if one did
appear).

KaVir.

Nop Larhalt

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

Kenneth G. Cavness wrote:

> Michael Krause Sr. <mkr...@intersphere.com> foolishly gave up the right to
> remain silent in message <01bda4f1$e6638f80$06f7...@krause.medievia.com>:
> > Do you DARE enter?
> > http://www.medievia.com
> >
> > Medievia is a free online RPG that boasts over 4 million rooms, 140 zones
> ^^^^
> [snip]
>
> Wow, I know I've been gone for a while, but when the hell did
> this happen?

> --
> Kenneth G. Cavness
> http://conan.proxicom.com/~kcavness

Anything could happens on Medievia. Believe it or not, 2-3 new zones are opened
every months, more lines of code are added daily, and u'll never see less than
100 players online even in the early morning. Well, V, another thing that might
be good to put in Med is the mudschool code. Yes, u have the good beginner's
guide when a lvl 1 created, but it's much better to learn by "doing" than
"reading". Moreover, some ppl never played MUD b4 and they might have no idea
what the commands are once they enter Med. For experienced MUDders, u can also
put some nice lvling gears for lvl 1 which would make the mudschool worthy for
'em.

Kenneth G. Cavness

Jul 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/4/98

Nop Larhalt <lar...@geocities.com> foolishly gave up the right to remain
silent in message <359C4D7E...@geocities.com>:

> Kenneth G. Cavness wrote:
>
> > Michael Krause Sr. <mkr...@intersphere.com> foolishly gave up the right to
> > remain silent in message <01bda4f1$e6638f80$06f7...@krause.medievia.com>:
> > > Do you DARE enter?
> > > http://www.medievia.com
> > >
> > > Medievia is a free online RPG that boasts over 4 million rooms, 140 zones
> > ^^^^
> > [snip]
> >
> > Wow, I know I've been gone for a while, but when the hell did
> > this happen?
[please snip .sigs when replying]

> Anything could happens on Medievia. Believe it or not, 2-3 new zones are opened
> every months, more lines of code are added daily, and u'll never see less than

[snip more of same]

Ack. I ask a question, and get totally irrelevant propaganda.

Is this what rgmd is like usually now?

Jennifer Horn

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

Kenneth G. Cavness wrote in message ...

>Ack. I ask a question, and get totally irrelevant propaganda.
>
>Is this what rgmd is like usually now?

Well, I know I didn't answer your question because I didn't understand it.
To quote your original post:

>> Medievia is a free online RPG that boasts over 4 million rooms, 140 zones
^^^^

>Wow, I know I've been gone for a while, but when the hell did
>this happen?

When did *what* happen? When did Medievia become a free online game? When
it opened, 1993, I think. When did it grow to over 4 million rooms? I
think it was when Medievia 4.0 came out, 1996 maybe. When did it hit 140
zones? Sometime this year.

Your "underlining" is under "Medievia is", so it didn't really help me much
:)

Jennifer

The Wildman

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 08:02:51 -0400, Wildman's eyes rolled up in his head and
froth dripped from his fangs when Jennifer Horn
<jh...@cortex.net> said the following fighting words:

>Your "underlining" is under "Medievia is", so it didn't really help me much
>:)
>
>Jennifer

Ummm.... use a fixed width font. The underlining was under free, where it
belonged.

--
The Wildman - wildman at microserve dot net
Do NOT reply to this post! All mail sent to the From/Reply-To will be

Kenneth G. Cavness

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

Jennifer Horn <jh...@cortex.net> foolishly gave up the right to remain
silent in message <6nqe94$e...@news1.newsguy.com>:
[snip]

> Well, I know I didn't answer your question because I didn't understand it.
> To quote your original post:
>
> >> Medievia is a free online RPG that boasts over 4 million rooms, 140 zones
> ^^^^
>
> >Wow, I know I've been gone for a while, but when the hell did
> >this happen?
[snip]

> Your "underlining" is under "Medievia is", so it didn't really help me much
> :)

Jennifer,

When you e-mail _and_ post a response, please let the person know. I
responded to this in e-mail, and resent having to repeat myself.

You're using a proportional-width font, in which each character
takes up only so much space as the font tells it to.

Use a fixed-width font, in which case each character has an
equal amount of space to every other character. If you use
one (which you should use, when reading UseNet, since everybody
uses different fonts), you will see that I 'underlined' "free",
not "Medievia is".

Medievia, last I checked, asked for 'donations', and in return
you got something special.

There has been a _long_standing controversy regarding Medievia's
practice of requesting for donations, and the DIKU license, as
well as Mike Krause's (fraudulent?) claims that Medievia is
completely-original, non-derivitive code.

(Something I consider a load of horse-hockey.)

Holly Sommer

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

Kenneth G. Cavness wrote:

> Jennifer Horn <jh...@cortex.net> foolishly gave up the right to remain
> >
> > >Wow, I know I've been gone for a while, but when the hell did
> > >this happen?

> Medievia, last I checked, asked for 'donations', and in return
> you got something special.

Yes, but it's still a free game. Ie: You don't have to pay to play the
game [1], but if you do drop a few quid, it might get ya something
in return.

> There has been a _long_standing controversy regarding Medievia's
> practice of requesting for donations

Yup.

-Holly

[1] And anyone who trots out the arg about "but most people pay for
internet access" will promptly have their ears boxed

AxL

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
kcav...@proxicom.com (Kenneth G. Cavness) writes:
>There has been a _long_standing controversy regarding Medievia's
>practice of requesting for donations, and the DIKU license, as
>well as Mike Krause's (fraudulent?) claims that Medievia is
>completely-original, non-derivitive code.

Yea, that is nothing new from that twit. He even had the gall
to ask to be listed in the "Historic/Ancient DikuMUD" list I maintain
for the www.dikumud.com web site.

Medevia is nothing more than out-of-the-box Merc code, with a
near-infinite amount of bells and whistles slapped on top to make it
look "completely-original, non-derivitive."
--
-AxL a...@wpcr.plymouth.edu "In Christianity, neither morality nor religion
j_he...@oz.plymouth.edu Come into contact with reality at any point."

Michael Krause Sr.

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
> Medevia is nothing more than out-of-the-box Merc code, with a
> near-infinite amount of bells and whistles slapped on top to make it
> look "completely-original, non-derivitive."
> --
> -AxL

That is like saying Quake II is nothing more than Castle Wolfenstein with
more features. Medievia code is one of the most advanced coded games out
there that competes with muds. Just because we compete with muds does not
mean we are diku. I suppose your one of those people who think Windows 95
is just DOS with bells and whistles?

As I said in the original post: "Medievia, We are the mud other muds hate."
Stop listening to people who would have you play there games which ARE
stock muds with bells and whistles and go see what Medievia has to offer.

Win Day

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
"Michael Krause Sr." <mkr...@intersphere.com> wrote:

>> Medevia is nothing more than out-of-the-box Merc code, with a
>> near-infinite amount of bells and whistles slapped on top to make it
>> look "completely-original, non-derivitive."
>> --
>> -AxL
>
>That is like saying Quake II is nothing more than Castle Wolfenstein with
>more features.

Uh...from this gamer's viewpoint - only played either one a couple of
times, admittedly...

It is.

Better graphics, more weapons, essentially similar game.

*snip*

-Allus

Richard Woolcock

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
Michael Krause Sr. wrote:

> > Medevia is nothing more than out-of-the-box Merc code, with a
> > near-infinite amount of bells and whistles slapped on top to make it
> > look "completely-original, non-derivitive."
> > --
> > -AxL
>
> That is like saying Quake II is nothing more than Castle Wolfenstein with
> more features. Medievia code is one of the most advanced coded games out
> there that competes with muds. Just because we compete with muds does not
> mean we are diku. I suppose your one of those people who think Windows 95
> is just DOS with bells and whistles?
>
> As I said in the original post: "Medievia, We are the mud other muds hate."
> Stop listening to people who would have you play there games which ARE
> stock muds with bells and whistles and go see what Medievia has to offer.

I had a look a while ago. My honest opinion was that, as much as I hate to
admit it, it looked quite good. Although it didn't really have any amazing
features, it had an air of completeness (rather than half finished stuff
which most muds - including my own right now - have). To be honest though,
it really does look like the diku it is, with extra bells and whistles. I
didn't see anything which made me think "wow", and was sorely disappointed
in the wilderness I had heard so much about.

As for your quote "We are the mud other muds hate"; yes, I hate it when
people try to claim credit for other people's work.

KaVir.

J C Lawrence

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
Michael Krause Sr. <mkr...@intersphere.com> wrote:

>> Medevia is nothing more than out-of-the-box Merc code, with a
>> near-infinite amount of bells and whistles slapped on top to make it
>> look "completely-original, non-derivitive."

> That is like saying Quake II is nothing more than Castle Wolfenstein with
> more features.

Yup, that's a pretty accurate summary on both counts.

> Medievia code is one of the most advanced coded games out there that
> competes with muds.

Ahh. You don't get out much do you?

> I suppose your one of those people who think Windows 95
> is just DOS with bells and whistles?

The "just" is a little misleading, but the statement is accurate in
principle.

--
J C Lawrence Internet: cl...@null.net
(Contractor) Internet: co...@ibm.net

Daniel Lowd

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
Michael Krause Sr. wrote:

> > Medevia is nothing more than out-of-the-box Merc code, with a
> > near-infinite amount of bells and whistles slapped on top to make it
> > look "completely-original, non-derivitive."

> > --
> > -AxL

> That is like saying Quake II is nothing more than Castle Wolfenstein with

> more features. Medievia code is one of the most advanced coded games out
> there that competes with muds. Just because we compete with muds does not

> mean we are diku. I suppose your one of those people who think Windows 95

> is just DOS with bells and whistles?

Good analogy there, with Win95 vs. DOS. Windows 95, in a sense, IS DOS +
bells + whistles. A significant amount of 16-bit DOS code remains in Win95,
so it's not a 100% 32 bit OS. I'd say it averages to 20 bit :) Windows 95 is
also a lot more popular than DOS.

That's a good description of Medievia. Many modifications, very popular, yet
deep down inside, it looks like DIKU to me. Medievia didn't always claim to
be non-derivative.

There's one more thing Win95 and Medievia have in common... although I used to
enjoy both, I now avoid both. I avoid Medievia because I got bored there.
I avoid Win95 because it crashes. So now I'm coding a MUD (which I freely
admit is based on Smaug) and using Linux. Many people enjoy playing Medievia
(my younger brother, for example) and I have nothing against that at all. But
I would never call Medievia completely custom code.

That's my 2 cents.

-- Daniel Lowd

Stealth

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
On Fri, 03 Jul 1998 10:18:23 +0700, Nop Larhalt
<lar...@geocities.com> wrote:

>Anything could happens on Medievia. Believe it or not, 2-3 new zones are opened
>every months,

only 2-3 new zones, damn, you can certainly use some new builders

> more lines of code are added daily,

all muds do alter the source code , well most heh.

>and u'll never see less than 100 players online even in the early morning.

I don't see what the number of players has to do with a mud being
good. I've logged on to the site that runs the source code for Smaug,
and found over 300 players on, and that code is terrible. The same
story on Arctic mud and Midieva. Poor muds CAN have lots of players.

> Well, V, another thing that might
>be good to put in Med is the mudschool code. Yes, u have the good beginner's
>guide when a lvl 1 created, but it's much better to learn by "doing" than
>"reading". Moreover, some ppl never played MUD b4 and they might have no idea
>what the commands are once they enter Med. For experienced MUDders, u can also
>put some nice lvling gears for lvl 1 which would make the mudschool worthy for
>'em.

Yes, most diku muds do have a mud school. I wouldn't brag about that
as one of the best features though.

Stealth

Khall

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
On Thu, 09 Jul 1998 01:28:10 GMT, is...@mud.gator.net (Stealth) wrote:

>On Fri, 03 Jul 1998 10:18:23 +0700, Nop Larhalt
><lar...@geocities.com> wrote:

[chop]

>> Well, V, another thing that might
>>be good to put in Med is the mudschool code. Yes, u have the good beginner's
>>guide when a lvl 1 created, but it's much better to learn by "doing" than
>>"reading". Moreover, some ppl never played MUD b4 and they might have no idea
>>what the commands are once they enter Med. For experienced MUDders, u can also
>>put some nice lvling gears for lvl 1 which would make the mudschool worthy for
>>'em.
>>
>Yes, most diku muds do have a mud school. I wouldn't brag about that
>as one of the best features though.
>
>Stealth

I'm curious what's wrong with mudschool? Admittedly the stock ones are
pretty lame, poorly written and not as creative or informative as they
could be. Is that your complaint about them? Or is it just because
they exist? When I open up I'm going to have a flat out statement
saying 'If this is your first time mudding, this is not the mud for
you to start on' but I'm also going to have a mudschool that is as
informative as possible. It really sucks to not even know how to type
say.

K.

-- If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
research,
would it? -Albert Einstein --

Jennifer Horn

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98

Stealth wrote in message <35a41936...@news.dlcwest.com>...

>On Fri, 03 Jul 1998 10:18:23 +0700, Nop Larhalt
><lar...@geocities.com> wrote:

>> Well, V, another thing that might
>>be good to put in Med is the mudschool code. Yes, u have the good
beginner's
>>guide when a lvl 1 created, but it's much better to learn by "doing" than
>>"reading". Moreover, some ppl never played MUD b4 and they might have no
idea
>>what the commands are once they enter Med. For experienced MUDders, u can
also
>>put some nice lvling gears for lvl 1 which would make the mudschool worthy
for
>>'em.
>>
>Yes, most diku muds do have a mud school. I wouldn't brag about that
>as one of the best features though.

No no no, what he was saying is that Medievia does *not* have a mudschool,
and he wants one. On Medievia, new players are provided some *very* basic
equipment, and there are Avatars and a Newbie Clan to help them get started.
No mud school.

Jennifer

Jennifer Horn

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98

Jennifer Horn wrote in message <6o2bcu$6...@news1.newsguy.com>...

>No no no, what he was saying is that Medievia does *not* have a mudschool,
>and he wants one. On Medievia, new players are provided some *very* basic
>equipment, and there are Avatars and a Newbie Clan to help them get
started.
>No mud school.

Woops, and a Beginner's Guide.

AxL

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
In article <01bdaa9a$ea1a0060$06f7...@krause.medievia.com> "Michael Krause Sr." <mkr...@intersphere.com> writes:
>> Medevia is nothing more than out-of-the-box Merc code, with a
>> near-infinite amount of bells and whistles slapped on top to make it
>> look "completely-original, non-derivitive."
>> --
>> -AxL
>
>That is like saying Quake II is nothing more than Castle Wolfenstein with
>more features.

Hey, the straw man comes up with a brain! The later ones (Quake)
will have more features, better graphics, etc...than the previous (Wolf)
ones, but at the base it is still the same; a first-person perspecive maze
shooting/action game.

>Medievia code is one of the most advanced coded games out
>there that competes with muds. Just because we compete with muds does not
>mean we are diku.

Look. You started working your little Medevia off of a Merc
code base, which is Diku, which is what you will _always_ be; a Diku
derivitave. Funny how you never made any replies last year to that guy
who posted parts of your code, which were identical to stock Merc code.

>I suppose your one of those people who think Windows 95
>is just DOS with bells and whistles?

There's still many DOS extensions in Win95, so yes.

>As I said in the original post: "Medievia, We are the mud other muds hate."
> Stop listening to people who would have you play there games which ARE
>stock muds with bells and whistles and go see what Medievia has to offer.

Hah.

Medievia

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
> Good analogy there, with Win95 vs. DOS. Windows 95, in a sense, IS DOS +
> bells + whistles. A significant amount of 16-bit DOS code remains in
Win95,
> so it's not a 100% 32 bit OS. I'd say it averages to 20 bit :) Windows
95 is
> also a lot more popular than DOS.
>
> That's a good description of Medievia. Many modifications, very popular,
yet
> deep down inside, it looks like DIKU to me. Medievia didn't always claim
> be non-derivative.
>
> There's one more thing Win95 and Medievia have in common... although I
used to
> enjoy both, I now avoid both. I avoid Medievia because I got bored
there.
> I avoid Win95 because it crashes. So now I'm coding a MUD (which I
freely
> admit is based on Smaug) and using Linux. Many people enjoy playing
Medievia
> (my younger brother, for example) and I have nothing against that at all.
But
> I would never call Medievia completely custom code.
>
> That's my 2 cents.
>
> -- Daniel Lowd

You people are just nuts. The only way some of you would call Medievia 4.2
custom code is if I gave the code away and I do not plan on doing that
until Medievia V.
-V

Medievia

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
> I had a look a while ago. My honest opinion was that, as much as I hate
> admit it, it looked quite good. Although it didn't really have any
amazing
> features, it had an air of completeness (rather than half finished stuff
> which most muds - including my own right now - have). To be honest
though,
> it really does look like the diku it is, with extra bells and whistles.
> didn't see anything which made me think "wow", and was sorely
disappointed
> in the wilderness I had heard so much about.

The wilderness will be finished by the years end. We are working on the
last parts of the plan now with clantowns, mob factions that attack zones
and towns, and our situation module which will make the wilderness come
alive with adventure.
-V

Medievia

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
> Hey, the straw man comes up with a brain! The later ones (Quake)
> will have more features, better graphics, etc...than the previous (Wolf)
> ones, but at the base it is still the same; a first-person perspecive
maze
> shooting/action game.

Even the makers of both would not agree they are the same code or even
based on the same code.

> >I suppose your one of those people who think Windows 95
> >is just DOS with bells and whistles?
>
> There's still many DOS extensions in Win95, so yes.

I am sorry but that is just nuts to make that comment.

Aristotle@Threshold

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
In article <01bdab89$2b229d80$a351...@lion.fast.net>, "Medievia" <sol...@medievia.com> wrote:
>> There's still many DOS extensions in Win95, so yes.
>>

>I am sorry but that is just nuts to make that comment.

Why did you ignore one of the most salient points of the post you replied to?

In article <35a4f...@news.plymouth.edu>, j_he...@oz.plymouth.edu (AxL)
wrote:

> Look. You started working your little Medevia off of a Merc
>code base, which is Diku, which is what you will _always_ be; a Diku
>derivitave. Funny how you never made any replies last year to that guy
>who posted parts of your code, which were identical to stock Merc code.

I'd like to see your response to that.

-Aristotle@Threshold

VISIT THRESHOLD ONLINE! High Fantasy Role Playing Game!
Player run clans, guilds, businesses, legal system, nobility, missile
combat, detailed religions, rich, detailed roleplaying environment.

http://www.threshold-rpg.com
telnet://threshold-rpg.com:23

Dominic J. Eidson

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Richard Woolcock wrote:

> Michael Krause Sr. wrote:
> >
> > That is like saying Quake II is nothing more than Castle Wolfenstein with

> > more features. Medievia code is one of the most advanced coded games out

> > there that competes with muds. Just because we compete with muds does not

> > mean we are diku. I suppose your one of those people who think Windows 95

> > is just DOS with bells and whistles?

If you had the slightest clue about the innards of Windows 95, you would
not have made such a statement. Windows 95 is nothing but a fancy GUI on
top of an inefficient and buggy OS. Linux running the fvwm2 window manager
is more stable and has faster program execution than Windows 95.

Nick
The Infinite Point
Implementor http://www.kdi.com/~infinite
Head Programmer
cyberwizards.com 6000
hub.kdi.com 6000
Reply? "-nospam-" - take it away.

AxL

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
thre...@threshold-rpg.com (Aristotle@Threshold) writes:
>Why did you ignore one of the most salient points of the post you replied to?
>
>j_he...@oz.plymouth.edu (AxL) wrote:
>> Look. You started working your little Medevia off of a Merc
>>code base, which is Diku, which is what you will _always_ be; a Diku
>>derivitave. Funny how you never made any replies last year to that guy
>>who posted parts of your code, which were identical to stock Merc code.
>
>I'd like to see your response to that.

Indeed, I would too. When these were posted last year, there
was never so much as a peep from the *cough* 'esteemed' Mr. krause.
One usually responds with silence when confronted with the truth.

Kenneth G. Cavness

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
AxL <j_he...@oz.plymouth.edu> foolishly gave up the right to remain silent
in message <35a64...@news.plymouth.edu>:

> thre...@threshold-rpg.com (Aristotle@Threshold) writes:
> >Why did you ignore one of the most salient points of the post you replied to?
> >
> >j_he...@oz.plymouth.edu (AxL) wrote:
> >> Look. You started working your little Medevia off of a Merc
> >>code base, which is Diku, which is what you will _always_ be; a Diku
> >>derivitave. Funny how you never made any replies last year to that guy
> >>who posted parts of your code, which were identical to stock Merc code.
> >
> >I'd like to see your response to that.
>
> Indeed, I would too. When these were posted last year, there
> was never so much as a peep from the *cough* 'esteemed' Mr. krause.
> One usually responds with silence when confronted with the truth.

Heh! I can see that some of the spirit of rgmd is still alive.

Too bad M. Krause here is the only point of contention that brings
up the blood of anyone anymore.

--
Kenneth G. Cavness, who misses JediDays, and days of code-wrangling, and
the Chris/Russ debates...

Mark Valentine

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98

I don't think there is any question that medievia is the best coded mud
on the net. Just look how other muds (the old duris for example) tried to
copy everything medievia did. My main gripe about medievia is that it is
too damn easy. There is just too much good eq. For instance, the first
time I played med. (about two years ago) I was promptly handed a magic
flute (by a god) that bumped my con and wis up to 18. I don't know if that
still happens, but I logged on just a few days ago to see that newbies
still wait in the donation room, waiting for 6d6 swords to pop out of thin
air so they can slaughter level 15 mobs.

Medievia has a great game design, but I just can't see why anyone would
want to play a game where everything is handed to them.

Ilya, SCC, Game Commandos

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
Mark Valentine wrote:

> I don't think there is any question that medievia is the best
> coded mud on the net.

While trying to retain at least the general appearance of
neutrality in these matters, or perhaps reasonably limited
and well-revealed biases,

I believe Medievia's status as 'best coded mud on the net'
is seriously in question.

--
Ilya, SCC www.gamecommandos.com Il...@gamecommandos.com

Khall

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
On Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:39:06 -0800, Mark Valentine
<va...@pacaccess.com> wrote:

>I don't think there is any question that medievia is the best coded mud
>on the net.

*cough* uhmmm I've never seen Medivia, but uhhh go check out
tyme.envy.com port 6969 for instance before making broad sweeping
statements please? That is the best coded mud I've ever seen *wink
Mattias* I don't see how anyone can say any mud is 'The Best' since
some like RP, some like PK, and some would much rather play a pure
stock DIKU. But like any MU*, it's the people that make the place
great, above and beyond the code, if someone's handing out +5 stat eq
and weapons that allow a newbie to slaughter a mob 15 levels higher
than them...*shrug* Draw your own conclusions...

K.

-- All generalizations are bad:P --

Spyros Ritsinias

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
Mark Valentine <va...@pacaccess.com> wrote:

>My main gripe about medievia is that it is
>too damn easy. There is just too much good eq. For instance, the first
>time I played med. (about two years ago) I was promptly handed a magic
>flute (by a god) that bumped my con and wis up to 18. I don't know if that
>still happens, but I logged on just a few days ago to see that newbies
>still wait in the donation room, waiting for 6d6 swords to pop out of thin
>air so they can slaughter level 15 mobs.
>
>Medievia has a great game design, but I just can't see why anyone would
>want to play a game where everything is handed to them.

This is without a doubt one of the funniest things I've seen in a long
time. Just because a god handed out some very basic newbie equipment
( which is what Satyr Flutes are) does not mean that "everything is
handed to you" in Medievia. This is a mud where it typically takes at
the very least 1500+ hrs of play to hero (reach the highest level),
where even reaching most of the top equipment typically takes at least
half-a-dozen heroes working together for 5 or even 10 hrs (and you
need alot of luck to boot!), when that and all other equipment
deteriorates over time into worthless junk and must be replaced. No,
Medievia is one of the hardest muds, not one of the easiest.

-Malathor

Steve Thomas

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98

This is what kills me. Vryce feels justified in accepting donations
because Medeivia was written completely from scratch and was never DIKU.
He's made that point very clear on numerous occasions, and even in the
"credits" command within the game -

"Medievia was designed compatible outwardly with the standard Diku
interface but medievia is not a diku mud inside or out.

The whole mud community, even non-diku types, have been affected by
that 1990 release of diku code. Since that time, with a fairly
stable base code to start with, Muds have sprung up all over
Internet. Even though Medievia's code is different I doubt we would
be here, if diku did not make muds such a popular and easy to set up
game. I would like to thank the whole diku team for their insight
and their passion for the game."

Then, out of nowhere, this story resurfaces (which, by the way, used to be
publicized within the game before the whole donation scheme was born).
This is straight from their web page -

"Medievia was started in 1991 by a group of people interested in such
things. At first Medievia was a stock diku mud. A mud is short for
Multi User Dungeon. The first few months, we tested many public domain
mud packages including DIKU and Merc. Our first reaction was that the
code while free was buggy and poorly thought out if you wanted a
truely large game. We ran the original Medievia for a while as a
standard Merc 1.00 Mud. Medievia II followed about one year after with
much of the game and code re-tooled. At this point we may have been
one of a handful of muds that were stable enough to be interesting.
Our player base grew and along with it our interest."

Inconsistency? You bet. Retooling a lot of the code doesn't really sound
like a rewrite from scratch, and the rest of the page describes how
additions were made, but no mention of a complete rewrite from scratch.
Makes sense, since there's still a ton of stock code in that puppy. Lots
of added features, and surely some really well done features, but let's be
honest and just give credit where credit is due.

Kudos to the DIKU team. Thanks for the years of enjoyment, and the
lowered GPA. :) And shame on you Vryce.

-S

Richard Woolcock

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
Mark Valentine wrote:

> I don't think there is any question that medievia is the best coded mud
> on the net. Just look how other muds (the old duris for example) tried to

*ROFL* excellent! Almost as funny as the email I just received from someone,
telling me that (having taken a stolen copy of my old mud) they've made a God
Wars the way it was supposed to be done, and were willing to give me some
coding tips ;)

[snip]

> copy everything medievia did. My main gripe about medievia is that it is

> too damn easy. There is just too much good eq. For instance, the first
> time I played med. (about two years ago) I was promptly handed a magic
> flute (by a god) that bumped my con and wis up to 18. I don't know if that
> still happens, but I logged on just a few days ago to see that newbies
> still wait in the donation room, waiting for 6d6 swords to pop out of thin
> air so they can slaughter level 15 mobs.
>
> Medievia has a great game design, but I just can't see why anyone would
> want to play a game where everything is handed to them.

That is a perfect example of BAD game design. I have to see anything that Med
has that other muds don't.

KaVir.

The Wildman

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 14:05:18 -0700, Wildman's eyes rolled up in his head and
froth dripped from his fangs when Richard Woolcock
<Ka...@nospam.dial.pipex.com> said the following fighting words:

>Mark Valentine wrote:
>>
>> I don't think there is any question that medievia is the best coded mud
>> on the net. Just look how other muds (the old duris for example) tried to
>
>*ROFL* excellent! Almost as funny as the email I just received from someone,
>telling me that (having taken a stolen copy of my old mud) they've made a God
>Wars the way it was supposed to be done, and were willing to give me some
>coding tips ;)

Damn it, KaVir! Warn me next time, now I need to get another cup of coffee.

:D

--
The Wildman
PLEASE do NOT reply to this post! If you MUST email me, please use wildman at

Stealth

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 01:40:39 GMT,
jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:39:06 -0800, Mark Valentine

><va...@pacaccess.com> wrote:
>

>>I don't think there is any question that medievia is the best coded mud
>>on the net.
>

>*cough* uhmmm I've never seen Medivia, but uhhh go check out
>tyme.envy.com port 6969 for instance before making broad sweeping
>statements please?

I just did. From my personal experience, I have found circlemud
lacking alot of features, as well as lacking fun factor. Although
your mud has some improvements over stock circle, I would still
take a stock envy mud, or stock rom over the mud you listed any
day.

> That is the best coded mud I've ever seen *wink
>Mattias* I don't see how anyone can say any mud is 'The Best' since
>some like RP, some like PK, and some would much rather play a pure
>stock DIKU. But like any MU*, it's the people that make the place
>great, above and beyond the code, if someone's handing out +5 stat eq
>and weapons that allow a newbie to slaughter a mob 15 levels higher
>than them...*shrug* Draw your own conclusions...

this mud you listed isn't the worst I've ever seen, but It sure isn't
anything special.

Stealth

Khall

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 18:33:54 GMT, is...@mud.gator.net (Stealth) wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 01:40:39 GMT,
>jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:39:06 -0800, Mark Valentine
>><va...@pacaccess.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I don't think there is any question that medievia is the best coded mud
>>>on the net.
>>
>>*cough* uhmmm I've never seen Medivia, but uhhh go check out
>>tyme.envy.com port 6969 for instance before making broad sweeping
>>statements please?
>
>I just did. From my personal experience, I have found circlemud
>lacking alot of features, as well as lacking fun factor.

Sacriledge!!! Circle is the best:)

Although
>your mud has some improvements over stock circle, I would still
>take a stock envy mud, or stock rom over the mud you listed any
>day.

My mud? *rofl* I wish that was my mud, did you go to port 6969? I
don't believe it's a circle, I think it's running envy. But I haven't
played there in a long time, let me list a few features that I can
remember, the first and most impressive to me is that the code
automatically awards xps for RP, no bullshit sending logs to IMM's.
Sit in a room alone and spam a social or an emote, after about 50 of
them you'll get one xp, (note that it works better and you get more
xps if you really are roleplaying this is just a quick way to show
what it can do) I have no idea about what coding went into it, but
basically it's possible to level from just RP'ing, with out an IMM
looking over your shoulder. Hmmm whatelse, a subdue code, so that
rather than killing someone you can KO them and they'll start to
follow you, becoming your prisioner...I dunno...too many features for
me to remember since it's been about six months since I played there.
But it is the absolutely best RP mud I've ever played in five years of
mudding, and one of the top five of all muds.

>> That is the best coded mud I've ever seen *wink
>>Mattias* I don't see how anyone can say any mud is 'The Best' since
>>some like RP, some like PK, and some would much rather play a pure
>>stock DIKU. But like any MU*, it's the people that make the place
>>great, above and beyond the code, if someone's handing out +5 stat eq
>>and weapons that allow a newbie to slaughter a mob 15 levels higher
>>than them...*shrug* Draw your own conclusions...
>
>this mud you listed isn't the worst I've ever seen, but It sure isn't
>anything special.

It's not anything special??? What the fuck are you smoking???
I hate to be confrontational, but I've never seen a mud that good, if
you know of one better, hell if you know of one 1/10 that good let me
know the addy please? Cause I'd like to check it out.

>Stealth
>>
>>K.
>>
>>-- All generalizations are bad:P --

K.

-- " A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it
tends to suppress any hereditary propensity towards fanaticism."
- Carl Sagan --

Khall

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 18:33:54 GMT, is...@mud.gator.net (Stealth) wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 01:40:39 GMT,
>jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:39:06 -0800, Mark Valentine
>><va...@pacaccess.com> wrote:

[chop]
>I just did.
[chop]
They're authorizing characters that quickly now? I'm just trying to
make sure you went to the right port, if you didn't have to be
authorized you didn't.

K.

Martin B Phelps

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.980710...@saturn.pacaccess.com>,

Mark Valentine <va...@pacaccess.com> wrote:

>I don't think there is any question that medievia is the best coded mud
>on the net. Just look how other muds (the old duris for example) tried to
>copy everything medievia did. My main gripe about medievia is that it is
>too damn easy. There is just too much good eq. For instance, the first
>time I played med. (about two years ago) I was promptly handed a magic
>flute (by a god) that bumped my con and wis up to 18. I don't know if that
>still happens, but I logged on just a few days ago to see that newbies
>still wait in the donation room, waiting for 6d6 swords to pop out of thin
>air so they can slaughter level 15 mobs.
>
>Medievia has a great game design, but I just can't see why anyone would
>want to play a game where everything is handed to them.

I disagree. I quit playing Medievia because it was too *hard* at later
levels. sure, the first few levels are easy, but I was level 23 and I
was lucky if I made 1% in a day. As for being original, a lot of it is,
(wilderness, breath, death)
but (sorry V) a lot isn't.
(level restrictions for EQ, basic EQ system, EXP system, HP system)
I personally am looking for an easy mud, without a huge penalty for
dying, where high level players don't slaughter the newbies.
If anyone knows one, let me know. BTW I am playing Iconoclast now,
(iconoclast.org 7777) and I find it pretty hard too.

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 08:33:05 GMT, srits...@mindspring.com (Spyros
Ritsinias) wrote:

>Mark Valentine <va...@pacaccess.com> wrote:
>
>>My main gripe about medievia is that it is
>>too damn easy. There is just too much good eq. For instance, the first
>>time I played med. (about two years ago) I was promptly handed a magic
>>flute (by a god) that bumped my con and wis up to 18. I don't know if that
>>still happens, but I logged on just a few days ago to see that newbies
>>still wait in the donation room, waiting for 6d6 swords to pop out of thin
>>air so they can slaughter level 15 mobs.
>>
>>Medievia has a great game design, but I just can't see why anyone would
>>want to play a game where everything is handed to them.
>

>This is without a doubt one of the funniest things I've seen in a long
>time. Just because a god handed out some very basic newbie equipment
>( which is what Satyr Flutes are) does not mean that "everything is
>handed to you" in Medievia. This is a mud where it typically takes at
>the very least 1500+ hrs of play to hero (reach the highest level),
>where even reaching most of the top equipment typically takes at least
>half-a-dozen heroes working together for 5 or even 10 hrs (and you
>need alot of luck to boot!), when that and all other equipment
>deteriorates over time into worthless junk and must be replaced. No,
>Medievia is one of the hardest muds, not one of the easiest.

Pardon me, but if 'basic' newbie equipment like the 'Satyr Flute' already
pushes Con and Wis to 18, and I'm basing my thoughts on AD&D 2nd Ed., then
where remains the game balance?

I so wonder what level a hero is, what equipment they get when 5-10 of them
have to work together to just get it? A Godsbane +20 that instantly kills
gods?

Unfortunately I don't have the time to verify these arguments brought forth
by someone else since I currently work from 50 till 90 hours a week
(implementing a national WAN can suck =P ) , but I hope to as soon as I have
the time and the stamina for it =)

Be well,

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven / Asmodai <asmodai(at)wxs.nl>
ICQ-UIN: 1564317 .:. Ninth Circle Enterprises

Heaven can wait 'till another day...

brian moore

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 19:47:30 GMT,
Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asm...@wxs.MAPS.nl> wrote:
> Pardon me, but if 'basic' newbie equipment like the 'Satyr Flute' already
> pushes Con and Wis to 18, and I'm basing my thoughts on AD&D 2nd Ed., then
> where remains the game balance?

There's lots of balanced objects!

bra satin purple~
a smooth, form-fitting bra made of purple satin~
A beautifully designed bra of purple satin is laying here.~
~
TYP 11 EXT 0 WEA 9
VAL 0 0 0 0
WGT 1 COS 200 CPD 5

Note how different the format is from Diku, eh? And balance? You bet!
The left boob is aligned precisely with the right boob.

> I so wonder what level a hero is, what equipment they get when 5-10 of them
> have to work together to just get it? A Godsbane +20 that instantly kills
> gods?

Of course, not. They'd get something like this:
talisman medievia mystical~
the Mystical Talisman of Medievia~
A large golden talisman on a silver chain lays here.~
~
TYP 9 EXT 129 WEA 4
VAL 20 0 0 0
WGT 5 COS 1000000 CPD 0 DET -1
LOO talisman medievia mystical~
The Talisman glows as if touched by a god... It is entrusted by the Gods of
Medievia to heroes and warriors of honor and pride. Citizens who support
the lands they live in and endeavor to help support it.
~
AFF 13 100
AFF 19 7

Of course, they do have to pay for that. Or they could get:
talisman medievia magical~
the Magical Talisman of Medievia~
A large golden talisman on a gold chain lays here.~
~
TYP 9 EXT 129 WEA 4
VAL 20 0 0 0
WGT 5 COS 1000000 CPD 0 DET -1
LOO talisman medievia mystical mana~
The Talisman glows as if touched by a god... It is entrusted by the Gods of
Medievia to heroes and warriors of honor and pride. Citizens who support
the lands they live in and endeavor to help support it.
~
AFF 12 100
AFF 19 7

Which, of course, they also have to pay for.

Wonder if the newbie kit includes:
Vrycebanner war banner~
Vryce's War Banner~
You see Vryce's War Banner here!!!~
~
TYP 8 EXT 0 WEA 16385
VAL 0 0 0 0
WGT 20 COS 0 CPD 9999999
AFF 8 35
AFF 18 99
AFF 19 99

You'll have to look in merc.h for what affects 18 and 19 are. They just
happen to match Medievia's.

> Unfortunately I don't have the time to verify these arguments brought forth
> by someone else since I currently work from 50 till 90 hours a week
> (implementing a national WAN can suck =P ) , but I hope to as soon as I have
> the time and the stamina for it =)

Just make sure you bring your American Express, because at Medievia,
they don't take MUD money.

For only at Medievia, would you find objects like:
trollskin troll skin~
the troll skin~
The filthy hide of a beast is laying here.~
~
TYP 9 EXT 192 WEA 1025
VAL 2 0 0 0
WGT 10 COS 10850 CPD 50
LOO troll skin~
This is the skin from a huge (and dead) beast. It looks bad, smells bad,
and feels bad.
~
AFF 1 1
ring opal~
an opal ring~
A ring of black opal lies here gathering dust.~
~
TYP 8 EXT 64 WEA 3
VAL 0 0 0 0
WGT 1 COS 3000 CPD 100
LOO ring opal~
It is a full circle of opal, smooth and simple.
~
AFF 19 1
AFF 17 -2

I've certainly never seen such objects on a stock MUD (well, except for
the ones in the troll den...)

--
Brian Moore Kill A Spammer For Jesus
Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker, Usenet Vandal

Stealth

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 23:11:22 GMT,
jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 18:33:54 GMT, is...@mud.gator.net (Stealth) wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 01:40:39 GMT,
>>jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:

>>>*cough* uhmmm I've never seen Medivia, but uhhh go check out
>>>tyme.envy.com port 6969 for instance before making broad sweeping
>>>statements please?
>>
>>I just did. From my personal experience, I have found circlemud
>>lacking alot of features, as well as lacking fun factor.
>
>Sacriledge!!! Circle is the best:)
>
> Although
>>your mud has some improvements over stock circle, I would still
>>take a stock envy mud, or stock rom over the mud you listed any
>>day.
>>

>My mud? *rofl* I wish that was my mud, did you go to port 6969?

sure did

>I don't believe it's a circle, I think it's running envy. But I haven't
>played there in a long time, let me list a few features that I can

Let me understand this. You go and post an article to this newsgroup,
saying that a mud called 'A moment in Tyme' is the best mud on
the net, and that its got the best code. Now your telling me you
don't think its circle, and that you havn't played there in a long
time?

If you actually took the time to connect to the mud which you praise
as the best coded, you would see on the login screen thats its derived
from circle mud 3.0. Then as soon as you login, it has the standard
circle format.

Now you say you havn't played there in a long time? My question is
have you played there at all? Or are you making these posts just to
try and get attention for yourself.

Khall, im giving you a free lifetime membership to Moron's anonymous.
Enjoy your stay.

Stealth

Stealth

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 23:14:40 GMT,
jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 18:33:54 GMT, is...@mud.gator.net (Stealth) wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 01:40:39 GMT,
>>jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:39:06 -0800, Mark Valentine
>>><va...@pacaccess.com> wrote:
>

>[chop]
>>I just did.
>[chop]
>They're authorizing characters that quickly now? I'm just trying to
>make sure you went to the right port, if you didn't have to be
>authorized you didn't.
>
>K.

Again, if you would take the time to connect to the mud you claim is
the best coded on the net, you would quickly realize it doesn't have
character authorization.

I've gone to your address listed, the mud name pops up --> A moment in
Tyme, and you get to play instantaneously.

There is no question in my mind that you are the biggest twit in this
newsgroup.

Stealth

Win Day

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
is...@mud.gator.net (Stealth) wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 23:14:40 GMT,
>jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 18:33:54 GMT, is...@mud.gator.net (Stealth) wrote:

>>[chop]
>>>I just did.
>>[chop]
>>They're authorizing characters that quickly now? I'm just trying to
>>make sure you went to the right port, if you didn't have to be
>>authorized you didn't.
>>
>>K.
>
>Again, if you would take the time to connect to the mud you claim is
>the best coded on the net, you would quickly realize it doesn't have
>character authorization.
>
>I've gone to your address listed, the mud name pops up --> A moment in
>Tyme, and you get to play instantaneously.
>
>There is no question in my mind that you are the biggest twit in this
>newsgroup.

May I suggest /checking/?
I have - yesterday, actually - and have found that you are
unauthorized. I'm not quite sure what exactly are the downsides of
being unauthorized, at first, but you are.

>Stealth

-Allus

Khall

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:25:37 GMT, is...@mud.gator.net (Stealth) wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 23:11:22 GMT,

>jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 18:33:54 GMT, is...@mud.gator.net (Stealth) wrote:

[chop]

>If you actually took the time to connect to the mud which you praise

>as the best coded, you would see on the login screen thats its derived
>from circle mud 3.0. Then as soon as you login, it has the standard
>circle format.
>
>Now you say you havn't played there in a long time? My question is
>have you played there at all? Or are you making these posts just to
>try and get attention for yourself.
>
>Khall, im giving you a free lifetime membership to Moron's anonymous.
>Enjoy your stay.
>

>Stealth

Blah, so I haven't been there in a while, maybe it is off of circle,
so what? Because I can't remember what codebase some mud I used to
play runs I'm a moron? *shrug* Okay, if you say so. If you had looked
around you'd agree with me, assuming you were borderline mentally
compentant. But then we won't go there. So are you just a client or
the president too? Of Moron's anon I mean? And we all know that _I'm_
the one that posts crap just to get attention for himself:P Play there
for a couple days, if you like RP muds, I don't see how you can help
being impressed. I'd go on, I'm tempted to insult you, but you're not
even worth the effort of what I've typed so far.

K.

-- Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have. --

Khall

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:25:38 GMT, is...@mud.gator.net (Stealth) wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 23:14:40 GMT,

>jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 18:33:54 GMT, is...@mud.gator.net (Stealth) wrote:

[chop]

Hmmm okay, so you did manage to find the right port.
Just because it's not email authorization doesn't mean it's not
authorization. Player names are authorized in the game by the IMM's.

>There is no question in my mind that you are the biggest twit in this
>newsgroup.

I guess it was time for you to pass the crown, huh?

>Stealth

K.

-- I talk to myself because I like dealing with a better class of
people. --

Dalaena

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
In article <6ojpp7$89i$2...@news-2.news.gte.net>, jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:

>>Stealth
>
>Blah, so I haven't been there in a while, maybe it is off of circle,
>so what? Because I can't remember what codebase some mud I used to
>play runs I'm a moron? *shrug* Okay, if you say so.

Khall, Stealth is the village idiot here so don't worry about his poorly
parsed "flames".

Furthermore, it is probably a sign of a well designed mud if the players are
*NOT* certain about what codebase it uses (since that probably means it is
actually pretty well modified).

-Aristotle
Threshold - High Fantasy Multi-User Online Role Playing Game

http://www.threshold-rpg.com -or- telnet threshold-rpg.com 23

Dalaena

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
In article <35ad292c...@n3.idirect.com>, win...@idirect.com (Win Day) wrote:

>is...@mud.gator.net (Stealth) wrote:
>
>>>K.
>>
>>Again, if you would take the time to connect to the mud you claim is
>>the best coded on the net, you would quickly realize it doesn't have
>>character authorization.
>>
>>There is no question in my mind that you are the biggest twit in this
>>newsgroup.
>>

>May I suggest /checking/?
>I have - yesterday, actually - and have found that you are
>unauthorized. I'm not quite sure what exactly are the downsides of
>being unauthorized, at first, but you are.
>
>-Allus

MAHAHAHAHA Damn Stealth- Is that right? You're actually unauthorized after you
flamed someone for not checking things? CACKLE

Whoop!

Khall

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
On Sat, 18 Jul 1998 09:25:14 GMT, wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net
(Dalaena) wrote:

>In article <6ojpp7$89i$2...@news-2.news.gte.net>, jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:
>>>
>>>Stealth
>>
>>Blah, so I haven't been there in a while, maybe it is off of circle,
>>so what? Because I can't remember what codebase some mud I used to
>>play runs I'm a moron? *shrug* Okay, if you say so.
>
>Khall, Stealth is the village idiot here so don't worry about his poorly
>parsed "flames".
>
>Furthermore, it is probably a sign of a well designed mud if the players are
>*NOT* certain about what codebase it uses (since that probably means it is
>actually pretty well modified).

[chop of Aristotle's sig]
<de-lurk>
*smile* Thanks

K.

</de-lurk>

Dalaena

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
In article <6oq39f$g83$1...@news-2.news.gte.net>, jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:
>>Furthermore, it is probably a sign of a well designed mud if the players are
>>*NOT* certain about what codebase it uses (since that probably means it is
>>actually pretty well modified).
>>
>[chop of Aristotle's sig]
><de-lurk>
>*smile* Thanks
>
>K.

No problem. Some people are obviously clueless to the obvious conclusion you
and I (and probably most others) have reached: the harder it is to tell what
code you're playing on, the better the mud.

brian moore

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
On Sat, 18 Jul 1998 09:25:14 GMT,
Dalaena <wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net> wrote:
> Furthermore, it is probably a sign of a well designed mud if the players are
> *NOT* certain about what codebase it uses (since that probably means it is
> actually pretty well modified).

I don't find that true.

You've said yourself that a number of people are certain that
Threshold is Diku. (Yes, they are wrong, but correctness wasn't in
your axiom.)

Likewise, a number of Medthievia players think that it's not a thinly
disguised Merc1. Yes, they're stupid, but intelligence and discernment
aren't in your axiom.

I wouldn't even say that the number of players makes a well designed mud
any more than the number of people using Windows makes it more than a
toy.

I do find it cool that posting Medthievia source code does work to shut
them up, though, and have passed around a few more copies in case I
don't catch the next wank-off here.

Dalaena

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
In article <slrn6r28e...@thorin.cmc.net>, b...@news.cmc.net (brian moore) wrote:
>You've said yourself that a number of people are certain that
>Threshold is Diku. (Yes, they are wrong, but correctness wasn't in
>your axiom.)

Actually, thats just a corollary to my axiom =)
If they guess, and guess wrong, its further evidence that your game is heavily
modified- especially when the reason people think your mud is of a certain
codebase is because your mud is easy for them to learn to use and thereby
leads them to the conclusion it must use the same codebase they are familiar
with.

>I do find it cool that posting Medthievia source code does work to shut
>them up, though, and have passed around a few more copies in case I
>don't catch the next wank-off here.

I agree with you here. I find it both cool and hilarious =)

Russ Taylor

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
In article <6or3mr$5cc$2...@news6.ispnews.com>, wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net
(Dalaena) wrote:

>No problem. Some people are obviously clueless to the obvious conclusion you
>and I (and probably most others) have reached: the harder it is to tell what
>code you're playing on, the better the mud.

That statement is so rife with illogic, I'm baffled you can say it. By
that logic, if I wrote a mud that winnuked (or whatever) everyone who
connected to it, it'd be the best mud around.

--
Russ Taylor (rta...@cmc.net, http://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor/)
Chambers Multimedia Connection Help Desk

Scribe

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
Russ ole buddy,

That's sad. You newsgroup guys just don't get it. Pointing out silly
little nothings in posts doesn't show how smart you are. You know that
you're taking what aristotle said too literally, but you don't care. It's a
neat oppurtunity to degrade someone completely undeserving.

Dalaena

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
In article <rtaylor-1807...@alander.cmc.net>, rta...@news.cmc.net (Russ Taylor) wrote:
>That statement is so rife with illogic, I'm baffled you can say it. By
>that logic, if I wrote a mud that winnuked (or whatever) everyone who
>connected to it, it'd be the best mud around.

Did you wake up this morning and decide to post the most pedantic crap
possible. Obviously, if you made it impossible to tell through some silly
construct like nuking them immediately that would make for a crappy mud.

The point was quite obvious to the other readers of this thread: if people who
PLAY the mud are unable to determine the exact codebase, then it is likely
that the mud has been heavily modified. This is generally considered a good
thing.

If you hadn't felt the need to be absurdly contrary without actually
contributing anything of value, you would have realized this and saved
yourself the embarassment.

Dalaena

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
In article <Pnhs1.2070$Ra7.3...@news2.atl.bellsouth.net>, "Scribe" <scr...@dentinmud.org> wrote:
>Russ ole buddy,
>
>That's sad. You newsgroup guys just don't get it. Pointing out silly
>little nothings in posts doesn't show how smart you are. You know that
>you're taking what aristotle said too literally, but you don't care. It's a
>neat oppurtunity to degrade someone completely undeserving.

Well said Scribe. Sadly, Russ got went on Pedant Patrol and insisted on
making a fool of himself.

Russ Taylor

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
<scr...@dentinmud.org> wrote:

>That's sad. You newsgroup guys just don't get it. Pointing out silly
>little nothings in posts doesn't show how smart you are. You know that
>you're taking what aristotle said too literally, but you don't care. It's a
>neat oppurtunity to degrade someone completely undeserving.

You've never seen him mouth off on FRP -- Ari's one of the more deserving
of flames on usenet :)

--
Russ Taylor (rta...@cmc.net, http://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor/)
Chambers Multimedia Connection Help Desk

"Elvis didn't die, he just went home" -- K.

Russ Taylor

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
In article <6os9r4$c0j$1...@news6.ispnews.com>, wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net
(Dalaena) wrote:

>Did you wake up this morning and decide to post the most pedantic crap
>possible. Obviously, if you made it impossible to tell through some silly
>construct like nuking them immediately that would make for a crappy mud.
>
>The point was quite obvious to the other readers of this thread: if people who
>PLAY the mud are unable to determine the exact codebase, then it is likely
>that the mud has been heavily modified. This is generally considered a good
>thing.
>
>If you hadn't felt the need to be absurdly contrary without actually
>contributing anything of value, you would have realized this and saved
>yourself the embarassment.

To put it another way: the "inability to determine mud base" has less than
a 1.0 correlation factor to the quality of the mud, which is what your
post was claiming. Tell you what -- avoid posting fallacious theories,
and I'll avoid correcting them.

By the way, I've seen more bad "heavily modified" muds than bad stock
muds. Too often the mods go in the way of munchkinism (1000 levels,
weapons of automatic mass death, 100 classes) than in the way of quality.

Go out and count the number of muds with some variation of combat
backstab. Icky, but not stock.

--
Russ Taylor (rta...@cmc.net, http://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor/)
Chambers Multimedia Connection Help Desk

"Oh Margie, you came and you found me a turkey, On my vacation
away from workie..." -- Homer

Russ Taylor

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
In article <6ou2ae$885$2...@news-2.news.gte.net>,
jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:

>If you log onto a mud and go 'Wow I've never seen anything like this
>before', this is a good thing, no?

Depends on if the "thing" is good or not. I could log onto a mud, say
"Wow, I've never seen a entry-level mob decaptiate on the first shot
before", and then log off quite happily :)

Unlike Groundhog Day, everything different is not good -- and, obviously,
things that have been done before are not necessarily bad.

--
Russ Taylor (rta...@cmc.net, http://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor/)
Chambers Multimedia Connection Help Desk

"Come on Natural 20. Daddy needs a new Sword of Wounding!" -- Langley

Kevin Doherty

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
Thus spake Russ Taylor <rta...@news.cmc.net> in
<rtaylor-1907...@alander.cmc.net>(Sun, 19 Jul 1998 16:24:04 -0700):

>In article <6os9r4$c0j$1...@news6.ispnews.com>, wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net
>(Dalaena) wrote:
>
>To put it another way: the "inability to determine mud base" has less than
>a 1.0 correlation factor to the quality of the mud, which is what your
>post was claiming. Tell you what -- avoid posting fallacious theories,
>and I'll avoid correcting them.
>
>By the way, I've seen more bad "heavily modified" muds than bad stock
>muds. Too often the mods go in the way of munchkinism (1000 levels,
>weapons of automatic mass death, 100 classes) than in the way of quality.

Shrug, a lot of these are still pretty easy to tell mud codebase on.
increasing the number of levels or classes or races or what have you
really doesn't mean much. the point Aristotle was trying to make was
that as a general rule of thumb, if someone who is knowledgable about
mud codebases can't tell the codebase immediately, it's got a much
better chance of being a well--made mud than a stock mud.

>Go out and count the number of muds with some variation of combat
>backstab. Icky, but not stock.

Yes, but a stock mud still sucks. A modified mud, while not necessarily
better, at least isn't stock, and has a chance of being better. While
you're right that level of modification is not necessarily an indication
of quality, Aristotle's original statement still is more or less correct
as long as it's not interpreted as applying to all muds.

--
Kevin Doherty, kdoh...@jurai.net
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

Khall

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
On Sun, 19 Jul 1998 16:24:04 -0700, rta...@news.cmc.net (Russ Taylor)
wrote:

>In article <6os9r4$c0j$1...@news6.ispnews.com>, wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net
>(Dalaena) wrote:
>

>>Did you wake up this morning and decide to post the most pedantic crap
>>possible. Obviously, if you made it impossible to tell through some silly
>>construct like nuking them immediately that would make for a crappy mud.
>>
>>The point was quite obvious to the other readers of this thread: if people who
>>PLAY the mud are unable to determine the exact codebase, then it is likely
>>that the mud has been heavily modified. This is generally considered a good
>>thing.
>>
>>If you hadn't felt the need to be absurdly contrary without actually
>>contributing anything of value, you would have realized this and saved
>>yourself the embarassment.
>

>To put it another way: the "inability to determine mud base" has less than
>a 1.0 correlation factor to the quality of the mud, which is what your
>post was claiming. Tell you what -- avoid posting fallacious theories,
>and I'll avoid correcting them.
>
>By the way, I've seen more bad "heavily modified" muds than bad stock
>muds. Too often the mods go in the way of munchkinism (1000 levels,
>weapons of automatic mass death, 100 classes) than in the way of quality.
>

>Go out and count the number of muds with some variation of combat
>backstab. Icky, but not stock.

<delurk>

If you log onto a mud and go 'Wow I've never seen anything like this
before', this is a good thing, no?

</delurk>

K.

Dalaena

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
In article <rtaylor-1907...@alander.cmc.net>, rta...@news.cmc.net (Russ Taylor) wrote:
>In article <Pnhs1.2070$Ra7.3...@news2.atl.bellsouth.net>, "Scribe"
><scr...@dentinmud.org> wrote:
>
>>That's sad. You newsgroup guys just don't get it. Pointing out silly
>>little nothings in posts doesn't show how smart you are. You know that
>>you're taking what aristotle said too literally, but you don't care. It's a
>>neat oppurtunity to degrade someone completely undeserving.
>
>You've never seen him mouth off on FRP -- Ari's one of the more deserving
>of flames on usenet :)

Perhaps. However, at least try to do it well. Blatant pedantism isn't the way
to compose a decent flame.

Thank you for playing, please try again.

Dalaena

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
> <rtaylor-1907...@alander.cmc.net>(Sun, 19 Jul 1998 16:24:04 -0700):

>>In article <6os9r4$c0j$1...@news6.ispnews.com>, wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net
>>(Dalaena) wrote:
>>
>>To put it another way: the "inability to determine mud base" has less than
>>a 1.0 correlation factor to the quality of the mud, which is what your
>>post was claiming. Tell you what -- avoid posting fallacious theories,
>>and I'll avoid correcting them.
>>
>>By the way, I've seen more bad "heavily modified" muds than bad stock
>>muds. Too often the mods go in the way of munchkinism (1000 levels,
>>weapons of automatic mass death, 100 classes) than in the way of quality.
>
>Shrug, a lot of these are still pretty easy to tell mud codebase on.
>increasing the number of levels or classes or races or what have you
>really doesn't mean much. the point Aristotle was trying to make was
>that as a general rule of thumb, if someone who is knowledgable about
>mud codebases can't tell the codebase immediately, it's got a much
>better chance of being a well--made mud than a stock mud.

Exactly. And Russ is the only one who has chosen to be an incredibly absurd
moron who has to grope so desperately for something to flame that he makes
himself look like a twit.

Scribe

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
In short Aristotle, can we sum up your statement with "shut up"?

Hehehe, I love when this happens. When the subject line has absolutely
nothing to do with the discussion, and when a third party, if viewing a
single post, could in no way make a connection to the subject. Kids let's
quit trashing eachother and go back to trashing Medievia, or at least find
something worthwhile to talk about. Pointing out petty little crap in
eachother's posts is a waste and only shows immaturity, wha wha pay me some
attention! But then again this goes even farther off topic, and I'm being
quite hypocritical by saying so. And I guess I shouldn't even post this
(though I did anyway) because it will no doubt spark more flaming and
whining and what not...bleh.

Kenneth G. Cavness

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
Dalaena <wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net> foolishly gave up the right to remain
silent in message <6oul9n$lcv$4...@news7.ispnews.com>:

[snip]

> Exactly. And Russ is the only one who has chosen to be an incredibly absurd
> moron who has to grope so desperately for something to flame that he makes
> himself look like a twit.

...and who the fuck are you, again?

--
Kenneth G. Cavness
http://conan.proxicom.com/~kcavness
"Maybe you did the smart thing and put yourself in your killfile."
-- Leo Navoichick

Kevin Doherty

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
Thus spake Dalaena <wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net> in
<6oul5p$lcv$3...@news7.ispnews.com>(Mon, 20 Jul 1998 05:43:49 GMT):

>Perhaps. However, at least try to do it well. Blatant pedantism isn't the way
>to compose a decent flame.

Don't you mean pedantry? -blink-

Richard Woolcock

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
Russ Taylor wrote:

> In article <Pnhs1.2070$Ra7.3...@news2.atl.bellsouth.net>, "Scribe"
> <scr...@dentinmud.org> wrote:
>
> >That's sad. You newsgroup guys just don't get it. Pointing out silly
> >little nothings in posts doesn't show how smart you are. You know that
> >you're taking what aristotle said too literally, but you don't care. It's a
> >neat oppurtunity to degrade someone completely undeserving.
>
> You've never seen him mouth off on FRP -- Ari's one of the more deserving
> of flames on usenet :)

And now we see the REAL reason for Russ's misinterpretation of Aristotles
post...revenge ;)

KaVir.

Richard Woolcock

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
Kenneth G. Cavness wrote:

> Dalaena <wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net> foolishly gave up the right to remain
> silent in message <6oul9n$lcv$4...@news7.ispnews.com>:
>
> [snip]
> > Exactly. And Russ is the only one who has chosen to be an incredibly absurd
> > moron who has to grope so desperately for something to flame that he makes
> > himself look like a twit.
>
> ...and who the fuck are you, again?

He's one of the regular posters to the rgm newsgroups, and runs one of the
more successful roleplaying muds, of which is the sole coder and admin. He
is disliked by many, but respected by most.

Who are you?

KaVir.

Kenneth G. Cavness

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
With much aplomb, Richard Woolcock <Ka...@nospam.dial.pipex.com> wrote
in article <<35B3F2...@nospam.dial.pipex.com>>...

Interesting. I've not seen him around before.

> Who are you?

I'm about six months behind Russ in posting longevity on this particular
newsgroup, I run one of the less successful hack-n-slash muds, of which I
am one of many coders and stay as far away from admin as I can place
between myself and others.

I'm known to many, but yawned at by most.

Who are you?

ICQUIN: 3504847

Richard Woolcock

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98

I've been posting here for almost two years, and I usually post at least one
post per day; I'm surprised you've not read any of my posts. I also post to
the rgm admin/misc groups, as well as the alt.mud/programming groups. Try
looking back on your browser and you'll see some of my posts. I also do a bit
of coding in my spare time *wink*.

KaVir.

Holly Sommer

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
Kenneth G. Cavness wrote:

> Interesting. I've not seen him around before.

This is a new account he's posting under recently. Used to be
aris...@threshhold-rpg.com - or variations on that theme.

-Holly, almost a cronie here

Aristotle

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
In article <35B3F2...@nospam.dial.pipex.com>, Richard Woolcock <Ka...@nospam.dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>Kenneth G. Cavness wrote:
>>
>> Dalaena <wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net> foolishly gave up the right to remain
>> silent in message <6oul9n$lcv$4...@news7.ispnews.com>:
>>
>> [snip]
>> > Exactly. And Russ is the only one who has chosen to be an incredibly absurd
>> > moron who has to grope so desperately for something to flame that he makes
>> > himself look like a twit.
>>
>> ...and who the fuck are you, again?

I was about to flame this wanker, but I read KaVir's reply and was too touched
to say anything. =)

>He's one of the regular posters to the rgm newsgroups, and runs one of the
>more successful roleplaying muds, of which is the sole coder and admin. He
>is disliked by many, but respected by most.

*blush*

Kenneth G. Cavness

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
Aristotle <thre...@threshold-rpg.com> foolishly gave up the right to
remain silent in message <6p0h9m$qhc$3...@news7.ispnews.com>:
[snip]

> >> ...and who the fuck are you, again?
>
> I was about to flame this wanker, but I read KaVir's reply and was too touched
> to say anything. =)

I had a point, but I lost it somewhere along the way.

My apologies.

[snip]

"Remember, the object is not to catch fish.
It's to use the cannon." -- Julie Kangas, rasfwr-j

Kenneth G. Cavness

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
Richard Woolcock <Ka...@nospam.dial.pipex.com> foolishly gave up the right
to remain silent in message <35B3F1...@nospam.dial.pipex.com>:
> Russ Taylor wrote:
[der schnipenhausen]

> > You've never seen him mouth off on FRP -- Ari's one of the more deserving
> > of flames on usenet :)
>
> And now we see the REAL reason for Russ's misinterpretation of Aristotles
> post...revenge ;)

You say this as if it were a _bad_ thing...

"I am well aware of my relative unimportance to the
workings of this NG." -- E. Laurain, rasfwr-j

Richard Woolcock

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Aristotle wrote:

> In article <35B3F2...@nospam.dial.pipex.com>, Richard Woolcock <Ka...@nospam.dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> >Kenneth G. Cavness wrote:
> >>
> >> Dalaena <wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net> foolishly gave up the right to remain
> >> silent in message <6oul9n$lcv$4...@news7.ispnews.com>:
> >>
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> ...and who the fuck are you, again?
>
> I was about to flame this wanker, but I read KaVir's reply and was too touched
> to say anything. =)
>
> >He's one of the regular posters to the rgm newsgroups, and runs one of the
> >more successful roleplaying muds, of which is the sole coder and admin. He
> >is disliked by many, but respected by most.
>
> *blush*

Hey, careful or you'll ruin my "asshole" image ;)

KaVir.

AxL

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98

>> > He's one of the regular posters to the rgm newsgroups, and runs one of the
>> > more successful roleplaying muds, of which is the sole coder and admin. He
>> > is disliked by many, but respected by most.
>>
>> Interesting. I've not seen him around before.
>>
>> > Who are you?
>>
>> I'm about six months behind Russ in posting longevity on this particular
>> newsgroup, I run one of the less successful hack-n-slash muds, of which I
>> am one of many coders and stay as far away from admin as I can place
>> between myself and others.
>>
>> I'm known to many, but yawned at by most.

Man, now _this_ is something I haven't seen for a long time: the
famous "who's been around the longest" thread. :) Well, I s'pose I jump
in and say that I have been here[1] since the Fall of 1991, and as for
what muds...too many. From Eltanin and Austin onward...

[1] Back when we all (diku, lp, mush, etc...) were under the same group,
rec.games.mud
--
-AxL a...@wpcr.plymouth.edu "In Christianity, neither morality nor religion
j_he...@oz.plymouth.edu Come into contact with reality at any point."
http://mindwarp.plymouth.edu/~axl - Nietzsche

Richard Woolcock

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
AxL wrote:

[snip]

> Man, now _this_ is something I haven't seen for a long time: the
> famous "who's been around the longest" thread. :) Well, I s'pose I jump
> in and say that I have been here[1] since the Fall of 1991, and as for
> what muds...too many. From Eltanin and Austin onward...

Well my post wasn't intended like that. I've actually been around the mud
newsgroups since around 1993 (while I was at university) although I've only
been a regular poster for around the last 2 years, since I graduated. I was
simply amazed to see someone I had never seen before in all that time (at
least that I remember) post something like "who the f*ck are you?" in response
to Aristotle's post, considering that Aristotle is also a regular poster.

KaVir.

Kenneth G. Cavness

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
With much aplomb, Richard Woolcock <Ka...@nospam.dial.pipex.com> wrote
in article <<35B552...@nospam.dial.pipex.com>>...
[snip]

> Well my post wasn't intended like that. I've actually been around the mud
> newsgroups since around 1993 (while I was at university) although I've only
> been a regular poster for around the last 2 years, since I graduated. I was
> simply amazed to see someone I had never seen before in all that time (at
> least that I remember) post something like "who the f*ck are you?" in response
> to Aristotle's post, considering that Aristotle is also a regular poster.

Hey.

I did _not_ say "who the f*ck are you?".

"If you're going to use the 'f' word, dear, you might as well go all the
way." [1pt]

As to my posting habits, there's simply been nothing of much worth in the
past few years to respond to.

ICQUIN: 3504847

Kenneth G. Cavness

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
-AW <n...@spam.please> foolishly gave up the right to remain silent in message
<35B533...@spam.please>:
> Kenneth G. Cavness wrote:
> <snipsnip>

> > As to my posting habits, there's simply been nothing of much worth in the
> > past few years to respond to.
> >
> </lurk>
> Is it that, or is it that rasfwr-j takes so long to read through every
> day?
> <lurk>

*grin* At the risk of getting *SPLUT*ted, So does the Ultima Dragons
newsgroup. I belong to a couple of them.

It really is that, though.

BTW: you fail the HTML exam!

--
Kenneth G. Cavness
"I have little doubt that you are in

-AW

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Kenneth G. Cavness wrote:
<snipsnip>
> As to my posting habits, there's simply been nothing of much worth in the
> past few years to respond to.

</lurk>
Is it that, or is it that rasfwr-j takes so long to read through every
day?
<lurk>
-AW

-AW

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Dalaena wrote:

> In article <6oq39f$g83$1...@news-2.news.gte.net>, jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:
> >>Furthermore, it is probably a sign of a well designed mud if the players are
> >>*NOT* certain about what codebase it uses (since that probably means it is
> >>actually pretty well modified).
> >>
> >[chop of Aristotle's sig]
> ><de-lurk>
> >*smile* Thanks
> >
> >K.
>
> No problem. Some people are obviously clueless to the obvious conclusion you
> and I (and probably most others) have reached: the harder it is to tell what
> code you're playing on, the better the mud.

</lurk>
One quick question: would this be with or without the 'help credits'
entry
removed?

*boggle*
<lurk>

-AW

Khall

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 00:28:56 GMT, -AW <n...@spam.please> wrote:
>Dalaena wrote:
>> In article <6oq39f$g83$1...@news-2.news.gte.net>, jpr...@a.saner.side.of.neverland.gte.net (Khall) wrote:
[chop]

>> No problem. Some people are obviously clueless to the obvious conclusion you
>> and I (and probably most others) have reached: the harder it is to tell what
>> code you're playing on, the better the mud.
>>
></lurk>
>One quick question: would this be with or without the 'help credits'
>entry
>removed?
>*boggle*
><lurk>
>-AW
*sigh*
I don't think Aristotle or I are the kind of people to try to claim we
wrote e.g. Circle from scratch ourselves. Personally I think a lot of
work went into whatever codebase you're using, so I'd never remove the
original author's name from it. Now, I might say, Based on Diku
V<blah, blah>, originally written by <Diku group's names>, over
20/50/90% re-written by <blah, blah/me and the coding team>. I never
over-state my capablities, nor claim credit for something I didn't do,
it's too simple for someone to catch you, and that just makes you look
like a fool, plus, I'm proud of my own work, no matter what I did, no
matter how cool it was, it would be so cheapened by trying to claim
that I wrote the whole codebase from scratch if I didn't. If someone
looks at your code and goes, 'Wow look what this guy did to Diku,
Circle, ROM, etc, that's incredible' it's a lot better than someone
going through your code and saying, 'Oh this is just <blah codebase>
that this idiot is claiming he wrote' No matter how cool you modify
it, you're not going to get any respect. </rambling rant>:)

K.

-- If you're not afraid to face the music you may some day lead the
band. --

-AW

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Kenneth G. Cavness shuddered violently, coughed up a mouthful of blood,
and sputtered:

> -AW <n...@spam.please> foolishly gave up the right to remain silent in message
> <35B533...@spam.please>:
> *grin* At the risk of getting *SPLUT*ted, So does the Ultima Dragons
> newsgroup. I belong to a couple of them.
>
> It really is that, though.
>
> BTW: you fail the HTML exam!

Think of it as a paragraph tag...</P>
<P>...used differently.

-AW

-AW

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Khall wrote:
<snip>

> *sigh*
> I don't think Aristotle or I are the kind of people to try to claim we
> wrote e.g. Circle from scratch ourselves. Personally I think a lot of
> work went into whatever codebase you're using, so I'd never remove the
> original author's name from it. Now, I might say, Based on Diku
> V<blah, blah>, originally written by <Diku group's names>, over
> 20/50/90% re-written by <blah, blah/me and the coding team>. I never
> over-state my capablities, nor claim credit for something I didn't do,
> it's too simple for someone to catch you, and that just makes you look
> like a fool, plus, I'm proud of my own work, no matter what I did, no
> matter how cool it was, it would be so cheapened by trying to claim
> that I wrote the whole codebase from scratch if I didn't. If someone
> looks at your code and goes, 'Wow look what this guy did to Diku,
> Circle, ROM, etc, that's incredible' it's a lot better than someone
> going through your code and saying, 'Oh this is just <blah codebase>
> that this idiot is claiming he wrote' No matter how cool you modify
> it, you're not going to get any respect. </rambling rant>:)
>
> K.

Just checking. ;)

-AW

Russ Taylor

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
In article <6oul9n$lcv$4...@news7.ispnews.com>, wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net
(Dalaena) wrote:

>Exactly. And Russ is the only one who has chosen to be an incredibly absurd
>moron who has to grope so desperately for something to flame that he makes
>himself look like a twit.

Gosh, and you're SO insecure in having made your original idiotic comment
that you've now followed up in excess of five times trying to defend it.
Your original comment was _stupid_, and clearly false -- but nice effort
trying to defend it. 10 points for effort, -50 for intelligence.

--
Russ Taylor (rta...@cmc.net, http://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor/)
Chambers Multimedia Connection Help Desk
"Come on Natural 20. Daddy needs a new Sword of Wounding!" -- Langley

Russ Taylor

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
In article <35B532...@spam.please>, n...@spam.please wrote:

>One quick question: would this be with or without the 'help credits'
>entry
>removed?

Yes, that plus the requirement to post the mud base in most muds seems to
restrict Aristotle's Good Mud award mostly to code thieves.

Of course, according to scuttlebutt, Threshold might be a hacked up LP
(sans credits) -- so maybe it follows.

--
Russ Taylor (rta...@cmc.net, http://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor/)
Chambers Multimedia Connection Help Desk

Otto: "Apes don't read philosophy."
Wanda: "Yes they do, Otto, they just don't understand it!"

Khall

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 00:18:41 -0700, rta...@news.cmc.net (Russ Taylor)
wrote:

>In article <35B532...@spam.please>, n...@spam.please wrote:
>
>>One quick question: would this be with or without the 'help credits'
>>entry
>>removed?
>
>Yes, that plus the requirement to post the mud base in most muds seems to
>restrict Aristotle's Good Mud award mostly to code thieves.
>
>Of course, according to scuttlebutt, Threshold might be a hacked up LP
>(sans credits) -- so maybe it follows.

*yawn* This thread was originally started by me not remembering what
code base a mud I used to play on was running, all I said was it's a
good mud. Let's see if I can manage to say this in a way that's as
impossible as i can make it to misunderstand. If you play a mud, and
then six months later can't remember what code base it was running but
just remember going 'wow, this is cool' then it's a good mud.
So...neither one of us is advocating (or advocado'ing them either:P)
code thieves to my knowledge. Is it just me or is there much love in
these groups?:P

K.

-- If I could drop dead right now, I'd be the happiest man alive. -
Samuel Goldwyn --

Shanoyu

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
I made 3 posts to rgmd last year

90 replies, (apparently i started a flamewar,)
a e-mail bomb/flood
numerious e-mails from idiots.

The reason Mr. Krause did not reply to the person who posted Merc Diku
stock code or whatever the hell it was is because he'd rather be writing
modules for medievia than getting involved in a flamewar, (the so called
spirit of RGMD) frankly, There is not a single regular poster to this
topic on the side that 'medievia suck and you suck so go to hell and
die' side who has maturity greater than a 6 year old.

-Shanoyu

Shanoyu

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Linux is not Windows,

No one is arguing that linux runs faster than windows.

No one is going to start a flame war with you about Dos and Windows.

-Go get a life already
-shanoyu

Shanoyu

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
It runs

what the hell do you people want?

After Mr. Krause has proved you wrong about the Diku and Merc code,

(Yes, thats why there was a jump from medievia 3 to 4, the code was
re-done, you see how these version things work? they are really nifty.)

you people counter by going
"uuhmmmmnnnn! well..! uh! You suck!@@#$ so ther!@#$ "

-Shanoyu

msp...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
In article <35B3F2...@nospam.dial.pipex.com>,
Richard Woolcock <Ka...@nospam.dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Kenneth G. Cavness wrote:
> >
> > Dalaena <wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net> foolishly gave up the right to remain
> > silent in message <6oul9n$lcv$4...@news7.ispnews.com>:
> >
> > [snip]

> > > Exactly. And Russ is the only one who has chosen to be an incredibly
absurd
> > > moron who has to grope so desperately for something to flame that he makes
> > > himself look like a twit.
> >
> > ...and who the fuck are you, again?
>
> He's one of the regular posters to the rgm newsgroups, and runs one of the
> more successful roleplaying muds, of which is the sole coder and admin. He
> is disliked by many, but respected by most.
>
> Who are you?
>
> KaVir.

You know, Richard, I don't often like your posts. I typically consider them
ill-devised and disingenuous. However, I find this one to be highly amusing.
I'll bet this guy feels a little stale *laugh*. Grats, for a change.

Matthew Schuyler Peck

Richard Woolcock

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Shanoyu wrote:

> I made 3 posts to rgmd last year
>
> 90 replies, (apparently i started a flamewar,)
> a e-mail bomb/flood
> numerious e-mails from idiots.
>
> The reason Mr. Krause did not reply to the person who posted Merc Diku
> stock code or whatever the hell it was is because he'd rather be writing

It was parts of the Medievia code, which is indeed Merc.

> modules for medievia than getting involved in a flamewar, (the so called
> spirit of RGMD) frankly, There is not a single regular poster to this
> topic on the side that 'medievia suck and you suck so go to hell and
> die' side who has maturity greater than a 6 year old.

I've never claimed that Medievia sucks; it's quite a successful diku, with
some fairly reasonable features, and a larger playerbase than many other
merc-based muds.

KaVir.

Richard Woolcock

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Khall wrote:

[snip]

> original author's name from it. Now, I might say, Based on Diku
> V<blah, blah>, originally written by <Diku group's names>, over
> 20/50/90% re-written by <blah, blah/me and the coding team>. I never
> over-state my capablities, nor claim credit for something I didn't do,

This is similar to my approach, although I don't even bother mentioning
how re-written the code is; I let the mud speak for itself. My front
screen looks like:

-= Dark City =-
Diku Mud was created by Hans Henrik Staerfeldt, Katja Nyboe,
Tom Madsen, Michael Seifert, and Sebastian Hammer.
01 Aug 1993 Merc 2.1 Furey, Hatchet, Kahn.
Based on the World of Darkness books by White Wolf.

No boasts, false claims, or annoying ascii art, just a simple yet brief
greeting that lists the authors and gets straight to the point. The
internal credits are, of course, still there, with only a few white
spaces removed when they were converted to the new help system.

KaVir.

Kenneth G. Cavness

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
msp...@my-dejanews.com <msp...@my-dejanews.com> foolishly gave up the right
to remain silent in message <6p50ll$oq2$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>:

> You know, Richard, I don't often like your posts. I typically consider them
> ill-devised and disingenuous. However, I find this one to be highly amusing.
> I'll bet this guy feels a little stale *laugh*. Grats, for a change.

Ahh, propagation delay, you are Usenet.

Stale? Nah, I don't feel stale. A bit burned around the edges, maybe...

msp...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
I'm not sure where the orignal post is, but I want to respond to the person
who defends Medievia, not Richard Woolcock, even though Richard's post is the
one I'm literally replying to.

In article <35A42F...@nospam.dial.pipex.com>,
Richard Woolcock <Ka...@nospam.dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Michael Krause Sr. wrote:
> >
> > > Medevia is nothing more than out-of-the-box Merc code, with a
> > > near-infinite amount of bells and whistles slapped on top to make it
> > > look "completely-original, non-derivitive."
> > > --
> > > -AxL
> >
> > That is like saying Quake II is nothing more than Castle Wolfenstein with
> > more features. Medievia code is one of the most advanced coded games out
> > there that competes with muds. Just because we compete with muds does not
> > mean we are diku. I suppose your one of those people who think Windows 95
> > is just DOS with bells and whistles?

Wow, talk about setting yourself up for a slam. You try to use wit and
analogy to make this guy look stupid, but you end up make yourself look
ignorant. Windows95 IS DOS! *lol* It never ceases to amaze me how thoroughly
Microsoft put one over on people. If you actually knew anything about the MS
operating systems, you would know that Windows95 is NOT an operating system
at all, simply a shell on top of DOS. DOS is the kernel, Windows95 is the
shell. If you don't know the difference between the two, get a computer
glossary. The fact of the matter is, Windows95 truly is bells and whistles
added to DOS. If you ask me, it's Microsoft trying to turn DOS into MacOS.
Windows98 is simply the Windows95 shell (with a few minor modifications and a
lot more drivers) on top of a defeatured NT 4.0 Workstation kernel.

> > As I said in the original post: "Medievia, We are the mud other muds hate."

I'll point out that this is no different than saying, "We're better than
everyone else." I don't have a problem with that. If you think you're better,
go ahead and say so; just make sure you're right.

> > Stop listening to people who would have you play there games which ARE
> > stock muds with bells and whistles and go see what Medievia has to offer.

> I had a look a while ago. My honest opinion was that, as much as I hate to
> admit it, it looked quite good. Although it didn't really have any amazing
> features, it had an air of completeness (rather than half finished stuff
> which most muds - including my own right now - have). To be honest though,
> it really does look like the diku it is, with extra bells and whistles. I
> didn't see anything which made me think "wow", and was sorely disappointed
> in the wilderness I had heard so much about.

Actually, I think I will respond to Richard. He does a good job of allowing
for the good points of Medievia, but then tells it like it is with honesty
and tact. Another good post, Richard.

> As for your quote "We are the mud other muds hate"; yes, I hate it when
> people try to claim credit for other people's work.

Ouch...

> KaVir.

Matthew Schuyler Peck
DejaNews sucks; I want to go home.

PS The reason I'm responding to these posts so late is that I haven't been
paying attention to RMGD recently, until today, when I got bored at work. That
is also the reason I am posting through DejaNews.

Scribe

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98

Russ Taylor wrote in message ...

>In article <6oul9n$lcv$4...@news7.ispnews.com>, wan...@sover.SPAMBLOCK.net
>(Dalaena) wrote:
>

>>Exactly. And Russ is the only one who has chosen to be an incredibly
absurd
>>moron who has to grope so desperately for something to flame that he makes
>>himself look like a twit.

A little excessive, but true.

>Gosh, and you're SO insecure in having made your original idiotic comment
>that you've now followed up in excess of five times trying to defend it.
>Your original comment was _stupid_, and clearly false -- but nice effort
>trying to defend it. 10 points for effort, -50 for intelligence.

Sigh...not to start a flamewar but it sounds like you totally ignored the
context of all these messages, and instead zoomed by to find something to
talk about. I agree with Aristotle. If you can't tell what the codebase of
a mud is, it's either A) heavily modified, B) heavily butchered or C)
original. He was saying that when a mud's codebase is indistinguishable, it
is generally a good thing; he should obviously not be taken completely
literally, and neither should anyone who makes a statement. I think people
here at rgmd feel like they HAVE to post something, even if they don't
currently have anything to say. Like it's an urge to communicate. Maybe
take that into consideration before you say things like "stupid" and
"clearly false".

Hmmm...I wonder who's gonna flame me now. I'd probably die of a heartattack
if someone started with "Scribe, I understand what you're saying but I
feel..." instead of "You stupid little fart, you're so moronic and
unintelligent and dumb and you're not smart either. etc etc etc"

Scribe

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98

Khall wrote in message <6p4dsn$2nj$1...@news-2.news.gte.net>...

>On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 00:18:41 -0700, rta...@news.cmc.net (Russ Taylor)
>wrote:
>
>>In article <35B532...@spam.please>, n...@spam.please wrote:
>*yawn* This thread was originally started by me not remembering what
>code base a mud I used to play on was running, all I said was it's a
>good mud. Let's see if I can manage to say this in a way that's as
>impossible as i can make it to misunderstand.

But that's what we're best at. After all, the statement was clear to me and
a few others, but it got misconstrued by every newsgroupie with a
flamethrower.

>If you play a mud, and
>then six months later can't remember what code base it was running but
>just remember going 'wow, this is cool' then it's a good mud.

*wholeheartedly agrees* That doesn't seem hard but what we have here is a
failure to communicate.

>So...neither one of us is advocating (or advocado'ing them either:P)
>code thieves to my knowledge. Is it just me or is there much love in
>these groups?:P

"You stupid retarded dumb person...you're statement is obviously stupid. I
can't remember the last time I've heard such stupidity. You must not have
been here as long as someone as intelligent as me. You're so stupid. I've
been here a long time and you are stupid. Did i mention that you...oh
nevermind." j/k
Know what's funny? Every newsgroupie wishes "they'd all grow up". How bout
we all make a pact. We all promise to stop being petty and start
discussing MUDS. Naw...it'll never work, let the flaming commence!

Richard Woolcock

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98

The poster was, of course, Michael Krause, and the comparison between DOS/Win95
and Merc/Med is IMO a perfectly fitting one.

KaVir.

The Wildman

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 00:18:41 -0700, Wildman's eyes rolled up in his head and
froth dripped from his fangs when Russ Taylor
<rta...@news.cmc.net> said the following fighting words:

>Of course, according to scuttlebutt, Threshold might be a hacked up LP
>(sans credits) -- so maybe it follows.

WHAT?!?
Aristotle may be many things, but he is not a code thief. Perhaps we should
start calling Dikus "Cs" - an LP is an LP because it is coded in LPC.

--
The Wildman
PLEASE do NOT reply to this post! If you MUST email me, please use wildman at
microserve dot net, but a followup is preferred. If you DO reply to the
wrong address, I'll still read it but don't expect a reply. Unless you are a
spammer, in which case I will reply to your ISP.
Fight spam - http://www.cauce.org/

brian moore

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 07:53:09 -0400,
Shanoyu <jacob...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> It runs

Sort of, not very well on anything but SunOS, though.

> what the hell do you people want?

A million dollars cash, no bills larger than a 20.

> After Mr. Krause has proved you wrong about the Diku and Merc code,

He has? He's consistently avoided the allegations, to the point of
hiding whenever they are brought up.

> (Yes, thats why there was a jump from medievia 3 to 4, the code was
> re-done, you see how these version things work? they are really nifty.)

No, I don't, since the tarball I have is quite clearly MedieviaIV,
including the Catacombs and the supposed wilderness.

Here's some of his amusing catacomb code:

void build_catacombs(void)
{
FILE *buildit;
char builditflag[200];
int x,y,z,a,b,c;

gate_room=0;
gate_dir=0;
sprintf(builditflag,"catacomb.%d",port);
if((buildit=fopen(builditflag,"r"))!=NULL)
{
catacombs_loaded=TRUE;
fclose(buildit);
}else{
sprintf(log_buf,"Not building catacombs.");
log_hd(log_buf);
catacombs_loaded=FALSE;
return;
}
entrance_room=get_next_number();
sprintf(log_buf,"CATACOMB Entrance room is #%d",entrance_room);
log_hd(log_buf);
get_descriptions();
moveables=NULL;
for(x=0;x<MAX_Z;x++)
rooms[x]=0;

for(x=0;x<MAX_X;x++)
for(y=0;y<MAX_Y;y++)
for(z=0;z<MAX_Z;z++)
grid[x][y][z]=0;

a=number(10,MAX_X-10);
b=number(10,MAX_Y-10);
for(level=0;level<MAX_Z;level++){
sprintf(log_buf,"CATACOMB: Generating Map Skeleton Level %d\n",level);
fprintf(stderr,log_buf);
type[a][b][level]='W';
grid[a][b][level]=get_next_number();
make_room(grid[a][b][level],a,b,level);
grid[a][b-1][level]=get_next_number();
make_room(grid[a][b-1][level],a,b-1,level);
grid[a+1][b][level]=get_next_number();
make_room(grid[a+1][b][level],a+1,b,level);
grid[a][b+1][level]=get_next_number();
make_room(grid[a][b+1][level],a,b+1,level);
grid[a-1][b][level]=get_next_number();
make_room(grid[a-1][b][level],a-1,b,level);
make_path(a,b-1,0,0);
make_path(a-1,b,0,MAX_Y-1);
make_path(a+1,b,MAX_X-1,0);
make_path(a,b+1,MAX_X-1,MAX_Y-1);
while(rooms[level]<ROOMS_PER_LEVEL){
c=1;
while(c){
a=number(0,MAX_X);
b=number(0,MAX_Y);
if(grid[a][b][level])c=0;
}
make_path(a,b,number(0,MAX_X-1),number(0,MAX_Y-1));
}
c=1;
while(c){ /*make sure next level has room ontop*/
a=number(5,MAX_X-5);
b=number(5,MAX_Y-5);
if(grid[a][b][level])c=0;
}
}
fprintf(stderr,"CATACOMB: Weighting rooms.....\n");
for(level=0;level<MAX_Z;level++)
for(x=0;x<MAX_X;x++)
for(y=0;y<MAX_Y;y++)
weight_room(x,y,level);
fprintf(stderr,"CATACOMB: Analyzing Rooms Pass 1...Flagging lakes & caverns\n");
for(level=0;level<MAX_Z;level++)
for(x=0;x<MAX_X;x++)
for(y=0;y<MAX_Y;y++)
analyze_room1(x,y,level);
fprintf(stderr,"CATACOMB: Analyzing Rooms Pass 2....Possible Islands and Huge Areas\n");
for(level=0;level<MAX_Z;level++)
for(x=0;x<MAX_X;x++)
for(y=0;y<MAX_Y;y++)
analyze_room2(x,y,level);
fprintf(stderr,"CATACOMB: Analyzing Rooms Pass 3....Optimizing for underwater Tunnels\n");
analyze_room3();
fprintf(stderr,"CATACOMB: Analyzing Rooms Pass 4....Re-Morphing Tunnels\n");
analyze_room4();

fprintf(stderr,"CATACOMB: Making room Connections....\n");
make_connections();
fprintf(stderr,"CATACOMB: Designing and placing descriptions....\n");
put_descriptions();
fprintf(stderr,"CATACOMB: Editing and tweaking details....\n");
edit_details();
populate_catacombs();
link_catacombs();
iHighRoom=get_next_number();
fprintf(stderr,"
TEMPLATE CODES FOR CATACOMB MAP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
L=Lake
B=Beach to Lake
C=Cavern
V=VERTICAL up/down across LEVELS
H=HUGE Cavern
I=ISLAND in the middle of a lake
S=Stream in tunnel you swim through UNDERWATER
h=Hole where you enter/exit STREAM(up/down)
E=Entrance to the catacombs
M=Cave Manatite room
R=Cave Correl room
b=Bend in the Tunnal
W=Waterfall
P=Cave Paintings

");
for(level=0;level<MAX_Z;level++){
sprintf(log_buf,"Built Catacomb LEVEL %d %dx%d %d rooms\n",level,MAX_X,MAX_Y,rooms[level]);
fprintf(stderr,log_buf);
for(y=0;y<MAX_X+4;y++)
fprintf(stderr, "@");
fprintf(stderr, "\n");
for(y=0;y<MAX_X+4;y++)
fprintf(stderr, "@");
fprintf(stderr, "\n");
for(y=0;y<MAX_Y;y++){
fprintf(stderr, "@@");
for(x=0;x<MAX_X;x++){
if(grid[x][y][level])
fprintf(stderr, "%c",type[x][y][level]);
else
fprintf(stderr, " ");
}
fprintf(stderr, "@@\n");
}
for(y=0;y<MAX_X+4;y++)
fprintf(stderr, "@");
fprintf(stderr, "\n");
for(y=0;y<MAX_X+4;y++)
fprintf(stderr, "@");
fprintf(stderr, "\n");
}
}

That mess is all Vryce's. The Merc and Diku guys would never write such
crap. Gotta love how he prints multiline strings. Wonder if he's
figured out that ANSI C allows adjacent quoted strings to be
auto-concatenated.

> you people counter by going
> "uuhmmmmnnnn! well..! uh! You suck!@@#$ so ther!@#$ "

Who said that?

I could have sworn we were having a grand old time giggling about what a
shitty coder Vryce is and what a piss-poor liar he is.

Of course, he fooled you.

--
Brian Moore Kill A Spammer For Jesus
Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker, Usenet Vandal

AxL

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
jacob...@earthlink.net writes:
>The reason Mr. Krause did not reply to the person who posted Merc Diku
>stock code or whatever the hell it was is because he'd rather be writing
>modules for medievia than getting involved in a flamewar,

Great, yet another ass-kissing wus crawls out of the Medievia
hole. Medievia-ites post when it is convenient for them to post. When
confronted with hard facts and evidence to prove that what comes out of
the mouths of Krause & Co. is bullshit, they crawl back into the hole
and be silent.

It is loading more messages.