MUD-Dev conference

cl...@kanga.nu

Mar 3, 2003, 6:10:32 PM3/3/03
Rather than spam you with a press release:

The MUD-Dev list is hosting a single day conference on the last day of
GDC on topics relating to the design and implementation of multiplayer
games (MUDs, MMOGs, MMORPGs, etc):

http://www.kanga.nu/MDC/

Speakers list:

9:45 - Organising Staff
Opening Remarks
10:00 - Adam Martin
An Evolving Architecture for Evolving MMOGs
10:30 - Matt Mihaly
Managing PvP
11:00 - Nathan Yospe
Matching Words to Meaning: A Retrospective Look at the PhysMUD
Formed Text Output and Natural Language Input Models
11:30 - Dave Rickey
Coping With Omniscience: Player Feedback and the MMOG QA
Process
12:00 - Lunch
13:00 - Gordon Walton, Scott Jennings, Damion Schubert
Less is More? -- A debate on the number of characters per
server
14:00 - Lee Sheldon
True Multiplayer Quests
14:30 - Brian Green
Redefining the PvP Flag
15:00 - Break
15:30 - Dr. Cat
What ELSE Are These Things Good For?
16:00 - John Arras
Generated Worlds and Meaningful Activities
16:30 - Larry Dunlap
Is There Intelligent Life Beyond Massively Multiplayer for
Online Games?
17:00 - Elonka Dunin
Steganography, Terrorism, and Multiplayer Games
18:00 - David Kennerly
Better Game Design through Data Mining
18:30 - Organising Staff
Closing Remarks

There is also a dinner and BBQ. Please see the above URL for details.

--
J C Lawrence
cl...@kanga.nu He lived as a devil, eh?

Richard Woolcock

Mar 5, 2003, 6:17:36 PM3/5/03
<cl...@kanga.nu> wrote in message news:804dj-...@kanga.nu...

> Rather than spam you with a press release:
>
> The MUD-Dev list is hosting a single day conference on the last day
of
> GDC on topics relating to the design and implementation of
multiplayer
> games (MUDs, MMOGs, MMORPGs, etc):
>
> http://www.kanga.nu/MDC/
>
> Speakers list:

Sounds great! Unfortunately, three days is rather short notice for
organising an international flight :P I'd have caught up on my backlog
of 3670 MUD-DEV messages if only I'd suspected...

In particular I'd loved to have seen Nathan Yospe's presentation (having
been inspired a great deal by his work) and also the stuff on PvP and
generated worlds (something in which I have a vested interest).

Will any information be made available for non-attendants? And is there
likely to be another conference next year that I can plan ahead for?

--
KaVir.

claw...@kanga.nu

Mar 6, 2003, 3:18:46 AM3/6/03
Richard Woolcock <Ka...@kavir.org> wrote:
> <cl...@kanga.nu> wrote in message news:804dj-...@kanga.nu...

>> Rather than spam you with a press release:

> Sounds great! Unfortunately, three days is rather short notice for

> organising an international flight :P

Yeah, sadly I forgot about posting to RGMA until the very last
minute. My bad.

> I'd have caught up on my backlog of 3670 MUD-DEV messages if only
> I'd suspected...

<grin>

You're supposed to at least read Meta for these things.

> Will any information be made available for non-attendants?

We're currently looking into selling the CD after the conference.
It should end up somewhere in the $20 - $50 range. Part of that
depends on the audio engineer costs (final negotiations now).

> And is there likely to be another conference next year that I can
> plan ahead for?

That's certainly the intention.