Graphical MUDS?

Ryan Martin Grant

Oct 8, 1992, 10:32:41 PM10/8/92
Are there any MUDS available today that use a front end to display
graphics?
- Ryan Grant

Jeffrey Jon Kabbe

Oct 9, 1992, 11:13:28 AM10/9/92

>Are there any MUDS available today that use a front end to display
>graphics?

No word as to the completion time but a friend of mine is "working" on a
graphical based, non-LP (definitely!!!) based mud. You'd have to write your
own clients though b/c it is designed for Unix machines (Suns I think).
But then, this could be like his other projects that he starts and then
doesn't finish so who knows...

Jeff = yyrkoon

Jim Foster

Oct 9, 1992, 4:46:17 PM10/9/92

Actually, there are at least two graphic interface MUDs that I know of: the Battletech game and the Fighter command (name?) that run on GEnie. I suppose Compu$erve might have one or two as well...

--
Jim Foster [ ]
jim...@matt.ksu.ksu.edu [ "We need bigger guns! Bigger f***ing guns!" ]

Victor Stam

Oct 9, 1992, 8:18:13 PM10/9/92

James Whiteley

Oct 9, 1992, 9:20:51 PM10/9/92
There is one that I know of: BsxMud.

It is an LPMUD style game. It requires the use of graphics clients.
There are clients for the Amiga, OpenWindows(Unix), and ibm. They are
ftpable from ftp.lysator.liu.se(130.236.254.1). Also in that directory
is the ftp site of the mud.

-- James

whit...@slug.ssc.gov -----PHONE-----
James Whiteley MS 2000 WORK: 214-708-6341
Superconducting Super Collider Laboratory HOME: 214-283-2948
2550 Beckleymeade FAX : 214-708-6354
Dallas, TX 75237
#include <disclaimer.h>

Ryan Martin Grant

Oct 11, 1992, 2:22:51 PM10/11/92
whit...@snake.ssc.gov (James Whiteley) writes:

>There is one that I know of: BsxMud.
>It is an LPMUD style game. It requires the use of graphics clients.

Thanks, I found the mud and successfully played it a while.
My conclusion is that while a good idea, the thing needs work.
Other MUDS could pick up the graphic interface, it looks easy
enough to handle. What are the general opinions of MUD admins
out there - are graphics considered an interesting expansion for
your future?
- Ryan Grant

Christopher Jd Samuel

Oct 21, 1992, 6:57:50 AM10/21/92
In article <Bvyz2...@news.cso.uiuc.edu>,
rmg53668@dcl-nxt53 (Ryan Martin Grant) doodled:

>Other MUDS could pick up the graphic interface, it looks easy
>enough to handle. What are the general opinions of MUD admins
>out there - are graphics considered an interesting expansion for
>your future?

It's a nice idea, unfortunately it is a Small Matter Of Programming(tm),
as well as, IMHO, eating a _lot_ of bandwidth which just make MUDs more
unpopular with the powers that be networkwise.

Chris

--
Christopher Samuel, c/o Computer Unit, UCW Aberystwyth, Aberystwyth, WALES
RFC: c...@aber.ac.uk UUCP: *!mcsun!uknet!aber!ccs JNT: c...@uk.ac.aber

Lydia Leong

Oct 21, 1992, 3:45:05 PM10/21/92
In article <1992Oct21....@aber.ac.uk> c...@aber.ac.uk (Christopher "Jd" Samuel) writes:
>[Graphics are a] nice idea, unfortunately it is a Small Matter Of Programming

>as well as, IMHO, eating a _lot_ of bandwidth which just make MUDs more
>unpopular with the powers that be networkwise.

I believe BSX-mud manages to do graphics without eating up huge amounts
of bandwidth. There's a graphical MUD-style game under development at Penn,
as well, which uses tile graphics (old "Ultima" style); the client end caches
tiles both in memory and on disk, so it doesn't (theoretically) eat more
bandwidth than a traditional text MUD.

There are no true "powers that be networkwise", anyway. I'd worry a bit
more about finding a sysadmin who'd be willing to allow a game to saturate
his network. :)

/~\______________________________________________________________________/~\
|n| Lydia Leong | If there is anyone here that I have not |n|
|~| l...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu _| offended, I deeply apologize. -- Brahms |~|
|_|_________________________|#|__________________________________________|_|

Bruce Mardle

Oct 21, 1992, 3:18:22 PM10/21/92

In article <Bvyz2...@news.cso.uiuc.edu> rmg53668@dcl-nxt53 writes:
> enough to handle. What are the general opinions of MUD admins
> out there - are graphics considered an interesting expansion for
> your future?
The more I think about it the more I like it. Animated emotes?
Messages from the admins appearing as sky writing?

I think the ability of players to modify their personas' appearances
would be important. Perhaps they could specify an 'identikit' of
themselves.

BSX doesn't seem too bandwidth-hungry and as Bram admits, "The cache
has a lousy replacement algorithm" so it could doubtless be made even
less hungry.

Dan Brumleve

Oct 21, 1992, 7:51:08 PM10/21/92
br...@algol.demon.co.uk (Bruce Mardle) writes:

Hmm... What about Tektronix? I've been trying to learn about it
recently (with some help from Alan Krantz -- thanks!), and I've managed
to do some interesting things with it. Tektronix is a system of
control codes (compatible with most computers I've seen) that
allows you to do things like drawing lines on the screen. I'll
probably put together a nice library of Tektronix-oriented functions
for MUDs soon... The only main problem is lack of ideas... I
still want to keep the text-based MUD system, but with actual
graphics in some places. If you have any ideas mail me please. ;)

-Jhalavar-

Earendil

Oct 22, 1992, 3:52:09 PM10/22/92

I have been working on an X-Windows Client that will interface to a mud I
built last year. The client keeps track of all of the items it has seen,
so as to cut down on the amount of traffic there is out there. The only
time a set of polygons get sent out over the net is when the client requests
them as either new or never seen before.
The idea of people kits is a good idea, but I have decided to keep away
from them on the solid modeling side, as they eat up a lot of space. There
will though be a set of known body types that the mud can draw in various
colors.
At this time graphics are not really feasable for all systems, but as times
and equiptment change, I think that people might be glad that some people did
do research in the way of interactive graphics.

Rick Parker | Earendil@Flesh & Blood
rpa...@demeter.calpoly.edu | Earendil@TMI (weep for it be gone)

--
rpa...@blackbird.calpoly.edu || Do you wanna get rocked?