Pig Wars kid friendly?

donovan...@yahoo.com

Jul 31, 2006, 6:14:19 PM7/31/06
Hi all,

I've got a smart little 8 yr old girl who wants to play a miniatures
game with me, and wants animals involved (Oy!).

Does Pig Wars live up to it's name and have livestock running amok, and
is it simple enough for kids? I showed her some basics of WAB and she
got it pretty quick but she WANTS cutesy farm animals in it.

(This is also my perfect excuse to get more figs and another ruleset)

TIA,
Donovan Borman

Paul Clay

Jul 31, 2006, 7:02:00 PM7/31/06
Is this the game where you roll pigs like dice? I remember one of the
combinations was "making bacon" when one pig fell on top of the other. So
that being said it's your judgment but if I have the right game, no way when
my daughter was 8.

Paul

<donovan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Mike Hillsgrove

Aug 1, 2006, 8:13:49 AM8/1/06
Yes and no. The pigs and cows and chickens are there to steal, the
women are there to ravage and kidnap, and the loot is there for your
plunder. It's a simple game about Vikings raiding in the dark age. If
you can make that a warm and fuzzy game, go for it.

Pig Wars, when men were men and pigs were money.

Mike Hillsgrove

Aug 1, 2006, 6:34:30 PM8/1/06
> Is this the game where you roll pigs like dice?

No. This is a wargame of vikings raiding villages, abbeys, stealing
livestock, loot, women, and fighting the locals and each other. Like
Brother Against Brother in scale, best for 25''s, with rules for how
many chickens and ducks a man can carry, how fast he can roll a barrel,
drive a herd, and escort prisoners. Not an overly serious wargame, fast
paced, card driven, but it does involve animals.

donovan...@yahoo.com

Aug 1, 2006, 11:46:56 PM8/1/06

Paul Clay wrote:
> Is this the game where you roll pigs like dice? I remember one of the
> combinations was "making bacon" when one pig fell on top of the other. So
> that being said it's your judgment but if I have the right game, no way when
> my daughter was 8.

LMAO, no, I don't think that's the same game. I need to find those dice
though!

donovan...@yahoo.com

Aug 1, 2006, 11:49:22 PM8/1/06

Perfect! I'm sure I can substitute her toy ostriches for the ravaged
maidens (must..not..let..knights..ride..ostriches)

Message has been deleted

Jim M

Aug 2, 2006, 9:52:52 PM8/2/06
In article <e9a0d2lkkq5631bt9...@4ax.com>,
YouCantHan...@nonya.net says...

> There is a cow dice game called "Tip the Cows" by a company called
> Decipher..........a humorous yahtzee-like game.....
>
> The cows - being small plastic models - are awarded points for how
> they land.
>
> Sider - 1 point - Cow lands on its side
> Udders Up - 5 points - Cow lands on its back all 4 feet in the air
> Hoofer - 10 points - cow lands on all 4 hooves
> Grazer - 15 points - Cow lands with its hind legs in the air
> Holy Cow - 50 Points - Cow lands on its rear end
>
> Milk Dud - both cows land on the side exposing the red brand
> lose 50 points and your turn
>
> Cowlick - both cows land in a position when one cows face touched the
> other cow lose all points.
>
> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3420
>
> Tip the Cows (1989)

I think he's talking about Pass the Pigs...
Message has been deleted

donovan...@yahoo.com

Aug 2, 2006, 10:25:40 PM8/2/06

Paul Clay wrote:
> Is this the game where you roll pigs like dice? I remember one of the
> combinations was "making bacon" when one pig fell on top of the other. So
> that being said it's your judgment but if I have the right game, no way when
> my daughter was 8.

Ironically, every review I've read is how great it is for young kids
LOL.
"Daddy, what does Making Bacon mean? And don't lie or I'll tell mom how
much you spent on your army men yesterday"

gair

Aug 3, 2006, 9:28:35 PM8/3/06
Taking a break from the lucrative trade of smuggling black market beagles,
Paul Clay wrote:

> Is this the game where you roll pigs like dice? I remember one of the
> combinations was "making bacon" when one pig fell on top of the
> other. So that being said it's your judgment but if I have the right
> game, no way when my daughter was 8.

No, you're thinking of Pass the Pigs. Wonderful game. As long as you don't
explain to your 8yo daughter to what "makin' bacon" refers..

<grin>

--gair

smithdoerr

Aug 5, 2006, 5:36:27 PM8/5/06

<donovan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a smart little 8 yr old girl who wants to play a miniatures
> game with me, and wants animals involved (Oy!).

Fuzzy Heroes

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/16718

From description blurb:

Fuzzy Heroes is a rule book for a miniatures war game using stuffed animals
and toys. From the rulebook:

"Fuzzy Heroes is a family fun game of combat for stuffed animals and toys.
Although it is not as serious in outlook, nor as rooted in realism, as most
miniatures games, it does contain all of the basic elelments of any
minatures game."

--

-smithdoerr

donovan...@yahoo.com