Napalm LRM's

Charcoal

Feb 25, 1995, 7:12:12 PM2/25/95
With the clans running into many garrisons manned by infantry, some techs
have been playing around with flamers, MG's, and napalm SRM's. One set
of techs of Clan Smoke Jaguar stationed on an inner sphere world full of
revolt have addapted napalm to LRM's by the command of the PGC
commander. Standard practice is to load these napalm LRM's in 50% of the
mechs with LRM 5 launchers for standard anti-revolution forces.

Against battlemechs, a napalm LRM 5 does the same damage as an SRM 2
napalm, as well as destroying all unarmored infantry in the hex. Armored
infantry take half damage, and elementals 1 pt (out of 10). A napalm LRM
will destroy all inner sphere infantry in the hex, a LRM 20 all in the
hex and all hexes touching. Front line units are watching the action as
a way to take care of honorless inner sphere infantry.

Any constructive criticizem and clarifications welcome.

I fear not the dark, for I have a flame thrower to light my way...

Chad Thompson
thomp901.raven.csrv.uidaho.edu
Or the more direct approach:
Any problem can be solved with the right amount of explosives.

Jonathan Schattke

Mar 3, 1995, 2:09:29 PM3/3/95
Charcoal (thom...@buzzard.csrv.uidaho.edu) wrote:
: With the clans running into many garrisons manned by infantry, some techs
: have been playing around with flamers, MG's, and napalm SRM's. One set
: of techs of Clan Smoke Jaguar stationed on an inner sphere world full of
: revolt have addapted napalm to LRM's by the command of the PGC
: commander. Standard practice is to load these napalm LRM's in 50% of the
: mechs with LRM 5 launchers for standard anti-revolution forces.

: Against battlemechs, a napalm LRM 5 does the same damage as an SRM 2
: napalm, as well as destroying all unarmored infantry in the hex. Armored
: infantry take half damage, and elementals 1 pt (out of 10). A napalm LRM
: will destroy all inner sphere infantry in the hex, a LRM 20 all in the
: hex and all hexes touching. Front line units are watching the action as
: a way to take care of honorless inner sphere infantry.

It wouls seem to me that an LRM inferno round would be 1/2 the effectiveness
of an SRM inferno, and subject to the same rules as to hitting, fire, etc.
I'd say an LRM inferno would burn for i/2 the time - 1 1/2 turns per hit.

The Compendium already provides inferno rules - new ones are not needed.

--
\ / \ /
VV iz VV om - Wandering Kernel of Happiness

Robert J Chverchko

Mar 1, 1995, 9:27:09 PM3/1/95
In article <3ioh0s$c...@newshound.uidaho.edu> thom...@buzzard.csrv.uidaho.edu (Charcoal) writes:
>With the clans running into many garrisons manned by infantry, some techs
>have been playing around with flamers, MG's, and napalm SRM's. One set
>of techs of Clan Smoke Jaguar stationed on an inner sphere world full of
>revolt have addapted napalm to LRM's by the command of the PGC
>commander. Standard practice is to load these napalm LRM's in 50% of the
>mechs with LRM 5 launchers for standard anti-revolution forces.
>
>Against battlemechs, a napalm LRM 5 does the same damage as an SRM 2
>napalm, as well as destroying all unarmored infantry in the hex. Armored
>infantry take half damage, and elementals 1 pt (out of 10). A napalm LRM
>will destroy all inner sphere infantry in the hex, a LRM 20 all in the
>hex and all hexes touching. Front line units are watching the action as
>a way to take care of honorless inner sphere infantry.
>
>Any constructive criticizem and clarifications welcome.

It's way too powerful, the point with the inferno SRM-2 was that it
needed to close into a range where the infantry might have a chance of
firing back before suffering instadeath. (granted their chance of
significant damage or a kill is remote).
Anyhow if you really need something like this, look at the inferno
bomb for aerospace fighters. Its a simple 10 point bomb, it coats
everything inside the hex it hits and surrounding hexes with the gel.
All infantry inside the hex that it hits are dead, all infantry in
surrounding hexes need to make a saving roll to escape alive, it also
instantly raises the heat of everything inside the hex it hits by 10
points (inferno gel+10=16 heat for one turn followed by +6 heat for 2
more turns, it's ugly against 3025 mechs :) It also increases the heat of
all units in surrounding hexes by 6 points for one turn in addition to
the normal burning gel effects.
So your weapon already exists sortof. And hell with .25 ton clan MG's
avail to wipe out infy, why the hell do you require these, you could put
a respectable anti-infy weapon combo on all your omnis for 1 ton with no
heat just by inserting 2MG's and a .5 ton of ammo. Or if you really
wanted something capable of wiping out whole platoons at a time, make it
1.5 tons and use 4 MG's (I really doubt anybody ever needs more than 25
MG salvoes). Now remember your insurrection troops typically won't be
anti-battlemech trained, so that's one less worry, and if it's inside a city
any single respectable point of elementals could thoroughly wipe them out
hell just mount the point on your mech and let the mech run in close and
drop the toads were they can go get them.

Ted Joe Vorholt

Mar 7, 1995, 12:47:51 PM3/7/95
In article <3ioh0s$c...@newshound.uidaho.edu> thom...@buzzard.csrv.uidaho.edu (Charcoal) writes:
>With the clans running into many garrisons manned by infantry, some techs
>have been playing around with flamers, MG's, and napalm SRM's. One set
>of techs of Clan Smoke Jaguar stationed on an inner sphere world full of
>revolt have addapted napalm to LRM's by the command of the PGC
>commander. Standard practice is to load these napalm LRM's in 50% of the
>mechs with LRM 5 launchers for standard anti-revolution forces.
>
>Against battlemechs, a napalm LRM 5 does the same damage as an SRM 2
>napalm, as well as destroying all unarmored infantry in the hex. Armored
>infantry take half damage, and elementals 1 pt (out of 10). A napalm LRM
>will destroy all inner sphere infantry in the hex, a LRM 20 all in the
>hex and all hexes touching. Front line units are watching the action as
>a way to take care of honorless inner sphere infantry.

Infernos cannot be used against infantry.

Jonathan Schattke

Mar 8, 1995, 6:55:04 AM3/8/95
Ted Joe Vorholt (tvor...@uceng.uc.edu) wrote:

: In article <3ioh0s$c...@newshound.uidaho.edu> thom...@buzzard.csrv.uidaho.edu (Charcoal) writes:
: >With the clans running into many garrisons manned by infantry, some techs
: >have been playing around with flamers, MG's, and napalm SRM's. One set
: > [poorly thought out LRM Inferno Rules Deleted]

: Infernos cannot be used against infantry.

maybe not directly, but they may be targeted at a hex. If infantry is in
the hex, they must roll 8+ or be fried.