[BT][Design] A better mousetrap

Mike Miller

Mar 4, 2002, 3:19:58 PM3/4/02
If I done did the calculations rightly, the Wraith is a 13.225 million
C-bill high-tech wonder. 55 tons, 7/11/7, endosteel, XL, ferrofibrous,
pulse lasers, oh my!

Of course, I can't help but notice a 50-ton 7/11 XL mech would have 2
more tons to use than the Wraith because a 350XL is 7 tons lighter
than Wraith's 385 XL. With that savings of half a ton from the lighter
internal structure, some interesting possibilities come to mind.

WRAITH MARK 2
50 tons
2.5 tons endosteel internal structure
15 tons 350 XL
Walking: 7
Running: 11
Jumping: 7
0 tons 10 DHS
4 tons gyroscope
3 tons cockpit
9.5 tons ferro-fibrous armor
Head: 3 9
CT: 16 25/7
RT/LT: 12 18/6
RA/LA: 8 16
RL/LL: 12 24
7 tons Pulse Large Laser (RA)
4 tons 2x Pulse Medium Lasers (LA)
1.5 tons Beagle or Guardian (RT)
Jump Jets (CT, 3 RT/LT)

Cost: 11.53 million w/ECM, not quite 2 million in savings

OBVIOUS VARIANT - STEALTH ARMOR!!!!
Armor: 9.5 tons of stealth armor (can mimic original Wraith's
armor distribution)
Cost: 11.93 million, about 1.3 million savings

OBVIOUS VARIANT 2
Anything with better weapons. I lean toward an ER LL and regular
medium lasers. I just stuck with the original Wraith's weaponry
to demonstrate the weight savings.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Cabhammer

Mar 4, 2002, 8:38:37 PM3/4/02
snippage

Mike Miller wrote:
> WRAITH MARK 2
> 50 tons
> 2.5 tons endosteel internal structure
> 15 tons 350 XL
> Walking: 7
> Running: 11
> Jumping: 7
> 0 tons 10 DHS
> 4 tons gyroscope
> 3 tons cockpit
> 9.5 tons ferro-fibrous armor
> Head: 3 9
> CT: 16 25/7
> RT/LT: 12 18/6
> RA/LA: 8 16
> RL/LL: 12 24
> 7 tons Pulse Large Laser (RA)
> 4 tons 2x Pulse Medium Lasers (LA)
> 1.5 tons Beagle or Guardian (RT)
> Jump Jets (CT, 3 RT/LT)
>
> Cost: 11.53 million w/ECM, not quite 2 million in savings

Actually, I alway tried to sneak an extra HS in here or even
a Targeting Computer in there. The 50 ton Wraith has been
a playtoy of mine for a while. ;-)

> OBVIOUS VARIANT - STEALTH ARMOR!!!!
> Armor: 9.5 tons of stealth armor (can mimic original Wraith's
> armor distribution)
> Cost: 11.93 million, about 1.3 million savings

Stealth Armor is cool, but more useful on mechs that are long range
snipers with PPCS and Gauss rifles. The Wraith has to get in close to
use its guns. Against a mech with Long Guns, the Stealth armor
will at best get you an extra +1. When at ultra long range, where
you would get +2, the Wraith would be really hard to hit, but
Wraiths are NORMALLY hard to hit at long range even with the +6.
I think the Stealth variant would let you beat on similar armed mechs
like the BlackHawk-KU and the Nightsky, since that +1 (or more)
is directly in your favor. Better to get a TCOMP in there though,
more useful than not...

> OBVIOUS VARIANT 2
> Anything with better weapons. I lean toward an ER LL and regular
> medium lasers. I just stuck with the original Wraith's weaponry
> to demonstrate the weight savings.

If you do this, then the Stealth will work spiff like. Be tempted to go
with an ERLL and like 2 Meds. you can add a 2 ton TCOMP and
have room left over for the ECM. with the extra half ton, either
add a SL or down armor 0.5 ton for an extra HS to help you when in
Stealth mode.

-Cabby