[Comp00] Andrew's Ratings

andre...@hotmail.com

Nov 20, 2000, 7:09:21 PM11/20/00
It seems strange how people mark games. Even the bottom game, "Breaking
the Code", got two 10s and a lot of 1s: while the top games (Kaged,
Metamorphoses, Being Andrew Plotken) all got 1s-10s, while the 1s are
insignificant, why are people voting good games a 1? I would only give a
one to a very bad game such as Breaking the Code, Stupid Kittens, etc. I
tended to give marks around 3-8 for most games. My marks were:

Masquerade - 8
Transfer - 8
Withdrawal Symptoms - 7
Shade - 6
(if i knew it was andrew plotkin and noticed sand creativity would have
voted one higher)
The Best Man - 6 (that chemical puzzle is weird)
YAGWAD - 5
Enlisted - 5
Guess the Verb - 5
Djinni Chronicles - 5
Return to Zork - 5
Comp00ter Game - 4
Nevermore - 4
Metamorphes - 3
Ascendent - 3 (spell checker PLEASE)

I'm new (first year in this), and I only rated 15 games. Note that I
didn't spend much time on most of these.

--
Andrew MacKinnon
andre...@hotmail.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Jake Wildstrom

Nov 20, 2000, 8:10:20 PM11/20/00
In article <8vcefc$9u4$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, <andre...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>It seems strange how people mark games. Even the bottom game, "Breaking
>the Code", got two 10s and a lot of 1s: while the top games (Kaged,
>Metamorphoses, Being Andrew Plotken) all got 1s-10s, while the 1s are
>insignificant, why are people voting good games a 1?

I'd agree with your assessment that this is unusual. In my estimation, a
"10" is reserved for something incredibly mind-blowing, and a "1" for a
completely unredeemable work or one which completely failed to meet minimal
standards. I didn't give out any of either (note that I didn't play What-IF or
Breaking the Code during the Comp -- if I had, I'd have given them 1s; also
Metamorphoses came damn close to a 10 for me). I find it striking (and slightly
alarming) that most games in the comp recieved at least one 1 and at least one
10. Some of these works I just can't see anyone considering to such extremes --
to go back to the ones mentioned above, Metamorphoses recieved two 1s. I
really don't understand what those people were thinking. Maybe the game
wasn't to your liking, but I find it hard to believe anybody would have such
a negative experience that they would consider it the worst of comp -- it was
clearly competently executed, even if you don't like the style. By the same
token, the 10 for What-IF is decidedly odd (as are the two 10s for BtC, but
apparently that's politically motivated).

+--First Church of Briantology--Order of the Holy Quaternion--+
| A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into |
| theorems. -Paul Erdos |
| Jake Wildstrom |

Sean T Barrett

Nov 20, 2000, 9:37:24 PM11/20/00
Jake Wildstrom <wil...@mit.edu> wrote:
>In article <8vcefc$9u4$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, <andre...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>It seems strange how people mark games.
>I'd agree with your assessment that this is unusual. In my estimation, a
>"10" is reserved for something incredibly mind-blowing, and a "1" for a
>completely unredeemable work or one which completely failed to meet minimal
>standards.

Sure, that's how I judge too, but I think it's fairly obvious that
it's not that unusual that people are judging on some other basis.
Since we don't ever hear from them (well, we heard about at
least one 10 for Cracking the Code), here's what I imagine in
my head.

"Ew, this is a puzzle romp. I hate all puzzle romps. 1."

"Ew, this is all conversation menus and no real
interaction. 1." (Check the spike of 1s on Rameses.)

"I cant spell wirth a dam ether and this game wuz
hilerious i give it a 10!"

Since there are no rules to what "1" vs. "10" means, we
can't prevent people from voting that way; but I don't
see any reason we should. The results reflect the makeup
of the population.

For a fun time, do things like re-rank the comp games
based on how many "10" votes each game got--or how many
"1" games each game got--or what the median vote on each
game was.

SeanB

OKB

Nov 20, 2000, 9:45:24 PM11/20/00
andre...@hotmail.com wrote:
>I tended to give marks around 3-8 for most games.

Well, this is hardly a narrow range of votes. I mean, heck, so did I.
:-)

--OKB (Bren...@aol.com)

"Do not follow where the path may lead;
go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."
--Author Unknown

Joe Mason

Nov 20, 2000, 9:57:18 PM11/20/00
In article <3a19cb7c$0$29...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>, Jake Wildstrom wrote:
>I'd agree with your assessment that this is unusual. In my estimation, a
>"10" is reserved for something incredibly mind-blowing, and a "1" for a
>completely unredeemable work or one which completely failed to meet minimal
>standards. I didn't give out any of either (note that I didn't play What-IF or
>Breaking the Code during the Comp -- if I had, I'd have given them 1s; also
>Metamorphoses came damn close to a 10 for me). I find it striking (and slightly
>alarming) that most games in the comp recieved at least one 1 and at least one
>10. Some of these works I just can't see anyone considering to such extremes --
>to go back to the ones mentioned above, Metamorphoses recieved two 1s. I
>really don't understand what those people were thinking. Maybe the game
>wasn't to your liking, but I find it hard to believe anybody would have such
>a negative experience that they would consider it the worst of comp -- it was
>clearly competently executed, even if you don't like the style. By the same

Well, a perfectly legitimate ranking strategy is to rank all the games you
played in order, and then assign numbers on a bell curve. (Your favourite
gets a 10, the two below it get 9's, etc.) Or even linearly. In this case,
if the randomizer was really good to you you may have missed all the real
crap, and ended up with a not-too-bad game that just didn't do much for you
in the 1 slot.

>token, the 10 for What-IF is decidedly odd (as are the two 10s for BtC, but
>apparently that's politically motivated).

This makes me want to slap people, though.

Joe

Paul O'Brian

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
On 21 Nov 2000, Jake Wildstrom wrote:

> I find it striking (and slightly
> alarming) that most games in the comp recieved at least one 1 and at least one
> 10. Some of these works I just can't see anyone considering to such extremes --

Well, I don't know if this happens in the comp, but there have been times
that I've received scores for the SPAG scoreboard that rate the
submitter's game a 10 and a few particularly hated enemies a 0.

Of course, I discard those scores, which I imagine Mark doesn't feel so
free to do with comp ballots.

--
Paul O'Brian obr...@colorado.edu http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~obrian
SPAG #23 will be devoted to the 2000 IF competition, and is actively