[Announce] A new game: Child's Play

1 view

Stephen Granade

Dec 31, 2007, 5:58:00 PM12/31/07
It is playgroup day and playgroup day is normally a good day but ever
since that little red-haired girl started coming she always wants your
toys.

She shouldn't get your toys.

You tried telling the mom this but she doesn't understand you. She
mostly ignored you but then she just shoved a pacifier in your mouth
and changed your diaper.

----

I'm pleased to announce the final game of 2007: Child's Play. It's the
completed version of my second-place 2006 Introcomp game, and as such
is only the third completed Introcomp game, and the first of the class
of 2006.

It's a puzzle game, but unlike my earlier ones, it's impossible to get
it into an unwinnable state, and it's chock full of NPCs. You can get
it from

http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/zcode/ChildsPlay.zblorb
http://granades.com/downloads/ChildsPlay.zblorb

and soon from

http://mirror.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/zcode/ChildsPlay.zblorb

All of my beta-testers were wonderful, but I'd like to single out
three for special mention. Admiral Jota tested both the Introcomp and
final versions of the game. Lucian Smith and Dan Shiovitz went above
the call of duty, playing all of the early incomplete versions of the
game, which means they've been playing this game since early 2006.

Stephen

--
Stephen Granade
stephen...@granades.com

Jason Brown

Jan 2, 2008, 5:45:11 AM1/2/08
Stephen Granade wrote:
> It is playgroup day and playgroup day is normally a good day but ever
> since that little red-haired girl started coming she always wants your
> toys.
>
> She shouldn't get your toys.
>
> You tried telling the mom this but she doesn't understand you. She
> mostly ignored you but then she just shoved a pacifier in your mouth
> and changed your diaper.

<snip>

I'm looking forward to getting into this one.

One problem though- the very first command I entered didn't work! It
seems like such an obvious verb for the context, too:

------
Smothered in Darkness

It is dark and stuffy and you are covered over, something is all draped
over you, it is enough to make you crazy.

> squirm
That's not a verb I recognize.
-------

Oh well, I guess even with a good group of beta testers you can't think
of them all. <bg>

Katzy

Jan 2, 2008, 7:33:19 AM1/2/08
Hello.

Jason Brown wrote in message ...

><snip>
>
>I'm looking forward to getting into this one.
>
>One problem though- the very first command I entered didn't work! It
>seems like such an obvious verb for the context, too:
>
>------
>Smothered in Darkness
>
>It is dark and stuffy and you are covered over, something is all draped
>over you, it is enough to make you crazy.
>
> > squirm
>That's not a verb I recognize.
>-------
>
>Oh well, I guess even with a good group of beta testers you can't think
>of them all. <bg>

There are more.

I wanted to lie (down) instead of sit:

> lie

That's not a verb I recognize.

> lie down

That's not a verb I recognize.

You can't 'smile' either... (though babies do smile, or? ;)

Greetz, Katzy.

Stephen Granade

Jan 2, 2008, 9:57:09 PM1/2/08
"Katzy" <ka...@noname.at.all> writes:

> Hello.
>
> Jason Brown wrote in message ...
>
>><snip>
>>
>>I'm looking forward to getting into this one.
>>
>>One problem though- the very first command I entered didn't work! It
>>seems like such an obvious verb for the context, too:
>>
>>------
>>Smothered in Darkness
>>
>>It is dark and stuffy and you are covered over, something is all draped
>>over you, it is enough to make you crazy.
>>
>> > squirm
>>That's not a verb I recognize.
>>-------
>>
>>Oh well, I guess even with a good group of beta testers you can't think
>>of them all. <bg>
>
> There are more.
>
> I wanted to lie (down) instead of sit:

Thanks for both of these suggestions, though I'd appreciate an emailed
copy of any future suggestions, in case I miss any Usenet groups.