Haunt

Randolph M. Jones

Dec 19, 1994, 4:55:26 PM12/19/94
In article <3d4n02$c...@nntp.stanford.edu>,
Jon Drukman <j...@cyborganic.com> wrote:
>Anybody remember a game called HAUNT? I used to play it on Tops-20
>and ITS systems at MIT. I don't remember much about it other than it
>had a pretty bizarre sense of humor.
>
>Any pointers to the author or, even better, source code, would be
>great...

This question gets asked once or twice a year. I also used to play HAUNT,
and think it is a fine game. Here's the deal on it...

It was written by John Laird when he was a graduate student at Carnegie
Mellon University. It was written in OPS4, and at the time was the largest
production system in existence. OPS4 only ever existed on Dec 10's and
Dec 20's, so those are the only places that HAUNT ever appeared.

John says he tried to rewrite it in OPS5 once long ago, but got too bogged
down with real work. He is currently directory of the Artificial Intelligence
Laboratory at the University of Michigan (where I work with him as a
research scientist).

John does not have any copies of the source himself, and the only copies
he knows of would be buried deep in the tape archives from the 1970s or early
1980s at Carnegie Mellon University. He says he has no desire to go looking
for it unless "it's an emergency or something". I occasionally encourage him
to look for it, but he has so far resisted my prodding.

If anyone ever DOES locate the source, I would also appreciate getting a
copy. Is anybody friends with a system administrator at CMU?

Randy Jones
rjo...@eecs.umich.edu

Jon Drukman

Dec 19, 1994, 2:30:10 PM12/19/94
Anybody remember a game called HAUNT? I used to play it on Tops-20
and ITS systems at MIT. I don't remember much about it other than it
had a pretty bizarre sense of humor.

Any pointers to the author or, even better, source code, would be
great...

/jon
j...@cyborganic.com