[Malinche] I Am Stepping Down.

Howard Sherman

May 1, 2008, 7:56:03 PM5/1/08
I have no doubt that the subject of this newsgroup post will bring
unending euphoria to the inveterate instigators of the bitter bastards
brigade.

Let all men known that on this First day of May 2008 day I am formally
relinquishing my title as the only active Implementor in the world.

All of you can finally rejoice! One of your fondest wishes has finally
come true.

I cannot be bitter about this no matter what you may think. What I do
I do for the good of interactive fiction itself!

Long live interactive fiction!

I beg you - Please do not gloat at this turn of events. Search in
your hearts for even just a particle of sympathy for me at this
tumultuous time.

All of the glorious news regarding this unexpected decision is at
http://www.malinche.net/news.html

Howard Sherman
Implementor
http://www.malinche.net

David Whyld

May 1, 2008, 7:59:03 PM5/1/08

I think I speak for everyone when I say: good riddance.

Howard Sherman

May 1, 2008, 8:02:48 PM5/1/08

Ahhh the fact that you are the FIRST to gloat shows your true nature
and your ignorance - cretin!

Howard Sherman
Implmentor

vaporware

May 1, 2008, 8:09:01 PM5/1/08

To save others the trouble of clicking that link, here's a summary:

The site says "Howard can no longer claim the distinction of being the
world's only active Implementor of Interactive Fiction any longer",
which is odd, because that claim is still just as true as it ever was.

You see, the real announcement here is that the "world-renowned
adventure game design" team of Lori and Corey have signed on.
Presumably, in this context, the term "world-renowned" means you can
read about them in this announcement from more than one country.

vw

Howard Sherman

May 1, 2008, 8:14:45 PM5/1/08
What you said doesn't make any kind of sense.

May I suggest English classes to help you communicate better?

Jim Aikin

May 1, 2008, 8:35:20 PM5/1/08
David Whyld wrote:

> I think I speak for everyone when I say: good riddance.

Well, no. You don't speak for me. I have a sneaking fondness for Howard,
though I would be loathe to admit it in public. For all his failings, he
has always had a definite vision of what he hoped to accomplish, and I
find that admirable.

--Jim Aikin

Jim Aikin

May 1, 2008, 8:39:51 PM5/1/08
vaporware wrote:

> You see, the real announcement here is that the "world-renowned
> adventure game design" team of Lori and Corey have signed on.
> Presumably, in this context, the term "world-renowned" means you can
> read about them in this announcement from more than one country.

You shoulda googled 'em, dude. They seem to be for real. Unless somebody
has hacked a lot of stuff into wikipedia, which is not too likely.

My take on it is that Howard needs all the help he can get. If the Coles
can upgrade the quality of Malinche games, more power to 'em!

--JA

vaporware

May 1, 2008, 8:56:32 PM5/1/08

You can suggest whatever you want. However, since my post was already
written in perfectly good English, your failure to understand it is
your problem, not mine.

vw

vaporware

May 1, 2008, 9:13:32 PM5/1/08
On May 1, 4:39 pm, Jim Aikin <midigur...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> vaporware wrote:
>
> > You see, the real announcement here is that the "world-renowned
> > adventure game design" team of Lori and Corey have signed on.
> > Presumably, in this context, the term "world-renowned" means you can
> > read about them in this announcement from more than one country.
>
> You shoulda googled 'em, dude. They seem to be for real. Unless somebody
> has hacked a lot of stuff into wikipedia, which is not too likely.

I don't doubt that they're real people; what I doubt is that they're
"world-renowned" by any reasonable stretch of the word.

Lori Ann Cole's Wikipedia bio describes her as "a fanatic RPG player,
who is uninterested in adventure games" and credits her with three
projects, the most recent of which is a series that ended ten years
ago. Of course, the mere fact that we have to look them up on
Wikipedia to know who they are should be enough to conclude that they
aren't celebrities.

As for Google, well, if we go by the number of search results, I'm
slightly more famous than Mrs. Cole, and you're much more famous than
either of us.

vw

Daphne Brinkerhoff

May 1, 2008, 9:20:56 PM5/1/08
On May 1, 8:13 pm, vaporware <jmcg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lori Ann Cole's Wikipedia bio describes her as "a fanatic RPG player,
> who is uninterested in adventure games" and credits her with three
> projects, the most recent of which is a series that ended ten years
> ago. Of course, the mere fact that we have to look them up on
> Wikipedia to know who they are should be enough to conclude that they
> aren't celebrities.

I don't know, I recognized their names immediately without looking
them up. Of course, I am 33, so maybe "world-renowned among people
over a certain age" would be more accurate.

--
Daphne

Jimmy Maher

May 1, 2008, 11:40:16 PM5/1/08
vaporware wrote:

> You see, the real announcement here is that the "world-renowned
> adventure game design" team of Lori and Corey have signed on.
> Presumably, in this context, the term "world-renowned" means you can
> read about them in this announcement from more than one country.

Don Quixote finds his Sancho Panza at last.

But seriously, Corey and Lori Anne Cole are quite well-known, albeit in
the graphic adventure community rather than in IF circles. They wrote
five adventure / RPG hybrids for Sierra called the Quest for Glory
series, which are still quite well-regarded amongst point-and-click
fans. Never played them myself.

It's interesting that they signed on to write IF rather than graphic
games. If Howard can improve his implementations to at least, say,
Infocom standards, this could be a winner for him, as they should bring
with them a built-in market of Sierra nostalgics.

--
Jimmy Maher
Editor, SPAG Magazine -- http://www.sparkynet.com/spag

Adam Thornton

May 2, 2008, 12:47:18 AM5/2/08
In article <fvdnsn$2jp$1...@aioe.org>,

My take on it is, what's David Cornelson, chopped liver[0]?

Adam

[0] This is presuming that "Implementor" is defined as "someone making
money by selling text adventures he or she writes".

S. John Ross

May 2, 2008, 2:06:56 AM5/2/08

> My take on it is, what's David Cornelson, chopped liver[0]?

Or Peter Nepstad, or me (my own commercial release has been trucking
along at a steady pace) :)

soukie

May 2, 2008, 3:50:37 AM5/2/08
On May 2, 2:09 am, vaporware <jmcg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Presumably, in this context, the term "world-renowned" means you can
> read about them in this announcement from more than one country.

In Sherman's otherwise gloated language, the "world-renowned" applied
to Lori and Corey is actually correct. That Quest for Glory series had
an inspired game design (to say the least) that was quite
revolutionary in blending adventure and RPG elements, multiple
solutions to puzzles as well as some ethical choices (if I remember
correctly).

It's a shame they did not wind up with Textfyre, Autumn Moon or
Telltale though.

Pavel

Jason Stokes

May 2, 2008, 4:40:34 AM5/2/08
I don't know the backstory of this. Can someone explain... no, actually, I
don't really care.

Jason Stokes, who has now actively implemented one-seventh of his very first
adventure game.

"Howard Sherman" <How...@malinche.net> wrote in message

Otto Grimwald

May 2, 2008, 5:19:00 AM5/2/08
soukie wrote:

I enjoyed the game Shannara (by Legend Entertainment) very much:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannara_(game)

It's good to know they are back for creating games.

--
-------------------------
http://ifiction.free.fr

Depresiv

May 2, 2008, 6:47:30 AM5/2/08

Or Kent Tessman :) (Hey... There are not THAT few!)

Daphne Brinkerhoff

May 2, 2008, 7:26:37 AM5/2/08
On May 1, 11:47 pm, a...@fsf.net (Adam Thornton) wrote:
> My take on it is, what's David Cornelson, chopped liver[0]?
>
> Adam
>
> [0] This is presuming that "Implementor" is defined as "someone making
> money by selling text adventures he or she writes".

Actually, AFAIK, David Cornelson is selling text adventures that
*other* people write. So, I guess those people can be called
Implementors (especially if he's paid them already).

--
Daphne

Nathan D. Jerpe

May 2, 2008, 8:26:56 AM5/2/08
> All of the glorious news regarding this unexpected decision is at
> http://www.malinche.net/news.html
>
> Howard Sherman
> Implementor
> http://www.malinche.net

As a long-time lurker and occasional poster, I genuinely want to know: why
do you behave this way? Why so much hyperbole and arrogance?

I've never played one of your games, but I like to see things for myself,
and I might have been a potential customer for you! But this message comes
across as so incendiary that I feel less inclined to give you my money. Why
not rise above any injustices you feel you might have suffered? Why not put
a positive spin on what certainly seems to be some good news, instead of all
this bitterness?

Personally I think the IF community could use a little more bombast like
yours. But don't be hatin'.

Cheers,
Nathan

http://roguelikefiction.com

Mike Snyder

May 2, 2008, 9:58:59 AM5/2/08
"Jimmy Maher" <mah...@SPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in message

> vaporware wrote:
> >
> > You see, the real announcement here is that the "world-renowned
> > adventure game design" team of Lori and Corey have signed on.
> > Presumably, in this context, the term "world-renowned" means you can
> > read about them in this announcement from more than one country.
>
> Don Quixote finds his Sancho Panza at last.
>
> But seriously, Corey and Lori Anne Cole are quite well-known, albeit in
> the graphic adventure community rather than in IF circles. They wrote
> five adventure / RPG hybrids for Sierra called the Quest for Glory
> series, which are still quite well-regarded amongst point-and-click
> fans. Never played them myself.

A friend and I bought "Hero's Quest" (or something like that) when it first
came out. I was surprised that they later re-released it as "Quest for
Glory." I played through it -- or most of it -- at the time. Was fun!

---- Mike.

Michael Martin

May 2, 2008, 2:50:41 PM5/2/08
On May 1, 8:40 pm, Jimmy Maher <mahe...@SPAMgrandecom.net> wrote:
> It's interesting that they signed on to write IF rather than graphic
> games.  If Howard can improve his implementations to at least, say,
> Infocom standards, this could be a winner for him, as they should bring
> with them a built-in market of Sierra nostalgics.

Since Quest for Glory II and Conquests of the Longbow were both
defining games for me as a kid, yes. However, I also remember QfG IV
and V, both of which were rendered nearly or entirely unplayable due
to poor management decisions and support.

As such, the management attitude displayed in this post concerns me a
great deal. I do *not* want to see history repeating itself here, Mr.
Sherman. You now have responsibilities to more people than just
yourself. This kind of clowning is unseemly.

--Michael

Jason Stokes

May 2, 2008, 3:28:27 PM5/2/08

"Jimmy Maher" <mah...@SPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in message
> vaporware wrote:
>>
>> You see, the real announcement here is that the "world-renowned
>> adventure game design" team of Lori and Corey have signed on.
>> Presumably, in this context, the term "world-renowned" means you can
>> read about them in this announcement from more than one country.
>
> Don Quixote finds his Sancho Panza at last.
>
> But seriously, Corey and Lori Anne Cole are quite well-known, albeit in
> the graphic adventure community rather than in IF circles. They wrote
> five adventure / RPG hybrids for Sierra called the Quest for Glory series,
> which are still quite well-regarded amongst point-and-click fans. Never
> played them myself.

I've heard of the series. Never knew who implemented them. Outside of Sid
Meier and (maybe) John Carmack, are there really any "world renowned" video
game developers with a fanbase? And it's not terribly auspicious that
Howard is, right now, alienating the core fanbase of the genre, which is not
a recommended method of PR.

It would be grotesquely irresponsible of me at this point to diagnose Mr.
Sherman as having a case of narcissistic personality disorder, but the way
he is coming across rather suggests the diagnosis. As Wikipedia puts it, an
NPD sufferer:
1.. has a grandiose sense of self-importance
2.. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance,
beauty, or ideal love
3.. believes that he or she is "special" and unique
4.. requires excessive admiration
5.. has a sense of entitlement
6.. is interpersonally exploitative
7.. lacks empathy
8.. is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or
her
9.. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
Hi Howard, if you're reading? Seriously, go get yourself checked out.

ChicagoDave

May 2, 2008, 3:31:25 PM5/2/08
On May 1, 6:56 pm, Howard Sherman <How...@malinche.net> wrote:
> Long live interactive fiction!

More power to you Howard, but I have to admit the manner in which you
approach promoting yourself is a bit out of sync with at least my
reality. I won't criticize too much because I'm just beginning to
promote Textfyre and it's not as easy as one would think, but still,
your website and manner could use a little fine-tuning.

I applaud your effort to bring on external writers and designers. I
hope we see their work published soon. The more people employed in the
world of interactive fiction, the more attention the artform will
receive.

I have to argue one minor point though. You have been claiming to be
the only commercial author of IF for some time (calling yourself an
"Implementor" would seem to be a bit presumptuous to me) and there is
clear evidence that this is not a true statement. We have had several
people author and sell their games over the years and some of those
games are still available for sale. As well, even though Textfyre has
not published a game yet, we have a dozen people working internally on
games and some of these people are noteworthy authors such as Mike
Gentry, Ian Finley, Jon Ingold, and Paul O'Brian among others.

I wish you the best Howard and am looking forward to a healthy
competition between our published games.

David Cornelson, President
Textfyre, Inc.

Mike Snyder

May 2, 2008, 4:49:39 PM5/2/08
> I've heard of the series. Never knew who implemented them. Outside of
Sid
> Meier and (maybe) John Carmack, are there really any "world renowned"
video
> game developers with a fanbase? And it's not terribly auspicious that

A lot more than you'd think. There's Cliffy B. (Gears of War, Unreal), Will
Wright, Peter Molyneux, Shigeru Miyamoto (sp? -- Mario, Zelda, etc), maybe
American McGee, and others.

---- Mike.

Andrew Plotkin

May 2, 2008, 5:31:36 PM5/2/08
In rec.arts.int-fiction, Jason Stokes <glas...@yahoo.org.au> wrote:

> I've heard of the series. Never knew who implemented them. Outside of Sid
> Meier and (maybe) John Carmack, are there really any "world renowned" video
> game developers with a fanbase?

Will Wright.

Peter Molyneux was in there for a while, although he may have blown
it. American McGee would like to be.

Within the (commercial) adventure game world, there are certainly
renowned game developers: Richard Garriott, Jonathan Boakes, Rand
Miller, Steve Meretzky. (For varying eras, obviously.)

--Z

*
Bush's biggest lie is his claim that it's okay to disagree with him. As soon as
you *actually* disagree with him, he sadly explains that you're undermining
America, that you're giving comfort to the enemy. That you need to be silent.

vaporware

May 2, 2008, 5:31:57 PM5/2/08

Indeed, those are the kind of people that come to mind when I think of
a "world renowned" game designer. The Coles are better-known than I
thought, apparently, but I'd still reserve that label for A-listers
like Sid Meier and Will Wright.

vw

Ryusui

May 2, 2008, 7:52:20 PM5/2/08
You still haven't mentioned Hideo Kojima.

Mike Snyder

May 2, 2008, 8:33:20 PM5/2/08
"Ryusui" <TheR...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> You still haven't mentioned Hideo Kojima.

I was trying to think of the Metal Gear Solid guy -- I'm really looking
forward to MGS4. Has he been involved with any projects other than that?

--- Mike.

invest...@gmail.com

May 2, 2008, 9:49:22 PM5/2/08

I believe Mr. Sherman has just been (as the Warcraft folk might say)
'owned'.

internisus

May 2, 2008, 9:52:16 PM5/2/08
On May 2, 3:28 pm, "Jason Stokes" <glasp...@yahoo.org.au> wrote:
>Outside of Sid Meier and (maybe) John Carmack, are there really any
> "world renowned" video game developers with a fanbase?

Uh, yes. Videogames are the new rock and roll. Even the music
composers of videogames achieve fame. In addition, indie developers
have recently received a lot of personal exposure.

A small and diverse handful well-known videogame designers, producers,
writers, and composers, just off the top of my head, includes:

Shigeru Miyamoto
Hideo Kojima
Suda 51
Fumito Ueda
Shinji Mikami
Nobuo Uematsu
Will Wright
John Romero
Peter Molyneux
Koji "IGA" Igarashi
Tim Shafer
Eiji Aonuma
Gabe Newell
Ken Levine
Chris Delay
Erik Wolpaw
Akira Yamaoka
Michel Ancil

And among indies:

Cactus
Nicklas "Nifflas" Nygren
Jonathan Mak
ON
Jonathan Blow
PIXEL
Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

Even game journalists (despite the overall immaturity of that field)
have developed names for themselves. Look up Tim Rogers or Kieron
Gillen for examples. I also want to note that, among people that care
at all about videogames, I don't see myself as being the sort to
notice individuals and their work, preferring instead to critique
individual titles. In other words, my interest in these individuals
has not been so great that I have a special knowledge of them; rather,
simply through being interested in videogames, I have been exposed
repeatedly to their names. Some of them are more famous than others,
and I expect you'll be surprised that you recognize more than you
would have thought, but most of these names are indeed "world
renowned", especially thanks to the ties between the internet and
gaming.

RootShell (IFReviews.org)

May 3, 2008, 8:12:53 AM5/3/08
I would like to know if that means that i'll get a refund for the order
i placed for malinche... Since nothings has arrived yet.

Please check what's the delay, and should the order not been server
yet... email me the details about getting a refund please.

kind regards,
RootShell

Howard Sherman wrote:
> I have no doubt that the subject of this newsgroup post will bring
> unending euphoria to the inveterate instigators of the bitter bastards
> brigade.
>
> Let all men known that on this First day of May 2008 day I am formally
> relinquishing my title as the only active Implementor in the world.
>

> All of you can finally rejoice! One of your fondest wishes has finally
> come true.
>
> I cannot be bitter about this no matter what you may think. What I do
> I do for the good of interactive fiction itself!
>
> Long live interactive fiction!
>
> I beg you - Please do not gloat at this turn of events. Search in
> your hearts for even just a particle of sympathy for me at this
> tumultuous time.

samvaknin

May 3, 2008, 11:52:30 AM5/3/08

For a more detailed view of pathological narcissism and the
Narcissistic
Personality Disorder (NPD) - click on these links:

http://malignantselflove.tripod.com/npdglance.html

http://malignantselflove.tripod.com/narcissismglance.html

Other Personality Disorders

http://malignantselflove.tripod.com/faqpd.html

Pathological Narcissism and Other Mental Health Disorders

http://malignantselflove.tripod.com/faq82.html

Cyber Narcissist

http://malignantselflove.tripod.com/journal67.html

Take care.

Sam

luvtinayothers

May 4, 2008, 9:01:04 PM5/4/08
On May 1, 4:56 pm, Howard Sherman <How...@malinche.net> wrote:
> I have no doubt that the subject of this newsgroup post will bring
> unending euphoria to the inveterate instigators of the bitter bastards
> brigade.
>
> Let all men known that on this First day of May 2008 day I am formally
> relinquishing my title as the only active Implementor in the world.
>
> All of you can finally rejoice! One of your fondest wishes has finally
> come true.
>
> I cannot be bitter about this no matter what you may think.  What I do
> I do for the good of interactive fiction itself!
>
> Long live interactive fiction!
>
> I beg you - Please do not gloat at this turn of events.  Search in
> your hearts for even just a particle of sympathy for me at this
> tumultuous time.
>
> All of the glorious news regarding this unexpected decision is athttp://www.malinche.net/news.html
>
> Howard Sherman
> Implementorhttp://www.malinche.net