ClubFloyd Might Move to Saturdays - Thoughts?

Jacqueline A. Lott

Apr 21, 2009, 5:25:44 PM4/21/09
I have had Sundays off for years. My employer is now thinking about
changing my schedule.

I have told them that I have a standing commitment on Sundays, but
that I would ask around and see if Saturdays would work. So, please
send me a note to my Gmail account (jacqueline.a.lott) and tell me
your preference.

Please send me an e-mail even if you've been meaning to come to
ClubFloyd but haven't, and **especially** send me an e-mail if you
haven't previously attended because Sundays aren't good for you, but
Saturdays would be!

Please try to send your note as soon as you can. I need to give my
boss my decision early next week.

Thanks!

Rikard Peterson

Apr 21, 2009, 7:03:08 PM4/21/09
In article
<4de43d50-2c7d-4b99...@e23g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,

This was the first time I heard of it (or maybe I've just forgotten*),
but a bit of Googling found a page on the IFWiki that explained things.
Interesting!

* That seems likely, since the archives show that you have posted about
it here last year. Or maybe I never saw that post for whatever reason.
Doesn't matter: I've heard about it now.

"2 pm Eastern"... after a bit of confused searching, I was about to ask
if I had calculated that strange time measurement correctly, but then I
found a more detailed description on your site. 19.00 UK would mean
20.00 here. I might drop by some time. (No, I have no preference
regarding Saturday/Sunday. Both can be busy or available.)

/ Rikard

RootShell (IFReviews.org)

Apr 22, 2009, 6:48:12 PM4/22/09
Jacqueline

For me Saturday is not a problem as long as the starting time doesn't
change.

Kind Regards,
RootShell

Jacqueline Ashwell

Apr 22, 2009, 8:12:12 PM4/22/09
Rikard, RootShell, et al...

A few folks have e-mailed (thanks!) and so far not one person
has spoken out against the concept of ClubFloyd on Saturdays.
There have been multiple requests for it to be pushed to later in
the day, though. Given that we have some regulars from Europe
who attend, I'm hesitant to move the time much. If I do move it,
it won't be more than an hour later. I'm interested, particularly
from Rikard, RootShell, and other interested continental
Europeans, if this would make things far too late. So far I've
already heard from regular ClubFloyders who live in Finland,
Germany, and the Netherlands who've all said a one hour later
start time would be okay. In theory, a later start time on a
Saturday is easier to handle than a later time on a Sunday
when people might have work/school the next day.

So, it's still not a done deal, but I'm now leaning pretty strongly
toward Saturdays at 11:00 am (that's noon Pacific, 3 Eastern,
8 UK, 9 W Europe, 10 E Europe). If you still have a burning
desire to weigh in, please send me an a-email.

And please also note that THIS WEEKEND we are meeting on
Sunday, two hours later than usual, because we're playing
The Edifice and Lucian Smith wants to attend but can't make
the normal time. So, this coming weekend (and this weekend
*only*) we're meeting at 4pm EST, 9pm BST.

If we switch to Saturdays, that will probably not take affect until
May 9, 2009. I'll post again when the decision's been made.

Thanks!
- Jacqueline
_________________________________

PS - For those, like Rikard, who've either never heard of
ClubFloyd (or forgotten), here are some useful links:

ClubFloyd Transcripts page:
http://www.allthingsjacq.com/interactive_fiction.html#clubfloyd

ClubFloyd on the ifWiki:
http://www.ifwiki.org/index.php/ClubFloyd

ClubFloyd RSS feed:
http://www.allthingsjacq.com/cf-feed.xml

Rikard Peterson

Apr 23, 2009, 4:16:53 PM4/23/09
In article
<0fc6a386-fffd-443c...@f19g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>,
Jacqueline Ashwell <jacqueli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A few folks have e-mailed (thanks!) and so far not one person
> has spoken out against the concept of ClubFloyd on Saturdays.
> There have been multiple requests for it to be pushed to later in
> the day, though. Given that we have some regulars from Europe
> who attend, I'm hesitant to move the time much. If I do move it,
> it won't be more than an hour later. I'm interested, particularly
> from Rikard, RootShell, and other interested continental
> Europeans, if this would make things far too late. So far I've
> already heard from regular ClubFloyders who live in Finland,
> Germany, and the Netherlands who've all said a one hour later
> start time would be okay. In theory, a later start time on a
> Saturday is easier to handle than a later time on a Sunday
> when people might have work/school the next day.

I can confirm that your theory matches my reality.

> So, it's still not a done deal, but I'm now leaning pretty strongly
> toward Saturdays at 11:00 am (that's noon Pacific, 3 Eastern,
> 8 UK, 9 W Europe, 10 E Europe). If you still have a burning
> desire to weigh in, please send me an a-email.

Not a problem for me, I think. How long do these things usually take?

(I don't think my newsreader is configured properly to send mail (that
need is rare, but I tried a new setting that may work), so this post
will probably only show up in the group despite your request for e-mail.
But since not much here is burning, it shouldn't matter much.)

Regards,

Rikard

Jacqueline Ashwell

Apr 24, 2009, 1:15:21 PM4/24/09
Rikard:

No worries on e-mailing, I've got your vote noted here.

As for the length of play, we try (and I stress the word,
for we do fail, and not altogether infrequently, but we do
try) to keep games at two hours. Last week we played
an old dungeon crawl (Unnkulia One-Half). It was a
great game, we had a lot of fun, but it did go four hours.
I guess you could say that we adhere to the two hour
rule in much the same way that a lot of IF Comp authors
adhere to the two hour rule. heh

At any rate, thanks for your reply. I guess I'll hold off
on making the final decision until ClubFloyd meets this
Sunday, just so I can run it past any regulars who for
whatever reason have missed all the places I've posted
this (you know, the sort who just show up with no idea
what it is we're playing). I'll therefore probably post a
final announcement Sunday late in the day. And until
then I'll keep an eye on this thread.

- Jacqueline

Jacqueline Ashwell

Apr 26, 2009, 8:51:28 PM4/26/09
It's now official. Beginning May 9, 2009 we will start meeting on
Saturdays at 11:00am Alaskan (3p EST, 8p BST).

Please note that that doesn't start until the week *after* next.

On Sunday, May 3rd, 2009, ClubFloyd will play Tapestry, by
Daniel Ravipinto on the standard day at the standard time of
2pm EST, 7pm GMT in the Toyshop and Floyditorium on ifMUD.

The following week we'll begin meeting an hour later and a day
earlier: Saturdays at 11:00am Alaskan (3p EST, 8p BST).

Cheers,
- Jacqueline

PS - I'd love to invite Daniel to watch us play his game next week
but can't find his e-mail. If anyone has it and could drop a note to
my gmail (jacqueline.a.lott), that would be lovely. Gracias mucho.

Reiko

Apr 30, 2009, 5:13:28 PM4/30/09
On Apr 26, 7:51 pm, Jacqueline Ashwell <jacqueline.a.l...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I know I'm too late now, but Saturdays don't work for me, so I'll try
to catch the last Sunday one this weekend. After that I'll have to
content myself with reading the transcripts. I can't remember if I've
played Tapestry or not. I know I've played Slouching Toward Bedlam, of
course.

I would have liked to come last week for the Edifice, actually,
because I really found the language puzzle fascinating when I played
it some years ago. I'll just read the transcript though.

~Reiko