basic how-to compile Gargoyle in Ubuntu 6.06?

George Oliver

Oct 21, 2007, 2:46:53 AM10/21/07
Trying to compile Gargoyle in Ubuntu Dapper, and wondering if anyone
can help me sort through some errors. There were a bunch more errors
than what's below but a lot of it was syntax stuff and just warnings.
Fair warning, I'm really new to Ubuntu and Linux in general.

The source is from Tor's directory here: http://ccxvii.net/gargoyle/download/.
I got Jam through the package manager.

OK, first off I get:

Package freetype2 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing 'freetype2.pc'

However I found something in help forum telling me I need libfreetype6-
dev (as well as libfreetype6, but I was able to locate this in the
system) for FreeType2, so I'm guessing if I find this and install it I
can proceed, but correct me if I'm wrong. I don't actually know how to
add things to the pkg-config search path but I can figure that out
later.

Next up, I got:

garglk/draw.c:10:22: error: ft2build.h: No such file or directory

I don't know if this is important or not, anyone know?

Next,

garglk/imgload.c:5:17: error: png.h: No such file or directory
garglk/imgload.c:6:21: error: jpeglib.h: No such file or directory

garglk/sysgtk.c:11:21: error: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory
garglk/sysgtk.c:12:28: error: gdk/gdkkeysyms.h: No such file or
directory

Then I got a bunch of stuff which seems important, mainly reiterations
of this:

...failed Cc build/linux.release/garglk/sysgtk.o ...
...skipped libgarglk.so for lack of <garglk>draw.o...
...skipped advsys for lack of libgarglk.so...

and it skipped for every interpreter for lack of libgarglk.so -- I
noticed in the binary release on the Gargoyle site this .so is
included in the build, so I must be missing something important here?

Anyway, if someone could get me started, many thanks.

Eric Forgeot

Oct 21, 2007, 1:18:04 PM10/21/07
George Oliver wrote:

> Trying to compile Gargoyle in Ubuntu Dapper, and wondering if anyone
> can help me sort through some errors. There were a bunch more errors

you'd better use the binaries then, it'd be easier :

http://ccxvii.net/gargoyle/download/gargoyle-2006-09-17-linux.zip

Anyway I could compile it on Debian, be sure you have libfreetype6-dev, and
libgtk1.2-dev

You just have to type "jam" (or jam.perforce) in the gargoyle folder.

If it's not working, you probably need some more packages for developement.

Do you have this file : /usr/lib/pkgconfig/freetype2.pc ?
Do you have /usr/include/ft2build.h on your system ?

George Oliver

Oct 21, 2007, 2:07:10 PM10/21/07
On Oct 21, 10:18 am, Eric Forgeot <use_form_on_webs...@anamnese.fr.st>
wrote:

> you'd better use the binaries then, it'd be easier :
>
> http://ccxvii.net/gargoyle/download/gargoyle-2006-09-17-linux.zip
>
> Anyway I could compile it on Debian, be sure you have libfreetype6-dev, and
> libgtk1.2-dev
>
> You just have to type "jam" (or jam.perforce) in the gargoyle folder.
>
> If it's not working, you probably need some more packages for developement.
>
> Do you have this file : /usr/lib/pkgconfig/freetype2.pc ?
> Do you have /usr/include/ft2build.h on your system ?

Thanks Eric, it looks like I do need to add some packages. So
ft2build.h is something I can get out of a repository?

To use the binaries (which I tried), I would have to add -- what is
it, SDL? -- to my system anyway.

Eric Forgeot

Oct 21, 2007, 2:28:01 PM10/21/07
George Oliver wrote:

> ft2build.h is something I can get out of a repository?

yes, ft2build.h is a part of the FreeType 2 library, so when you install the
FreeType 2 developpement library, it should come with it.

> To use the binaries (which I tried), I would have to add -- what is
> it, SDL? -- to my system anyway.

I don't think you need many extra dependencies, maybe sdl gtk yes. Since
they are use for many games, it's better to have them.

if you wish, I've made a package :
http://ifiction.free.fr/fichiers/gargoyle_i386.deb

you should be able to install it with : dpkg -i gargoyle_i386.deb