H.P. Lovecraft Commonplace Book games now available

PTN

Jun 19, 2007, 1:13:16 AM6/19/07
...by 18 authors, writing 7 games, using 5 game development platforms,
in 3 different languages. The games are available at:

http://www.illuminatedlantern.com/if/lovecraft.html

Please play, discuss, rate, etc. Originally I had hoped for a "Best"
in various categories, but since almost everyone chose different
development platforms to build their games, just think about awarding
a "Best in Show" overall for the English language games, so that game
can be highlighted appropriately.

This project is ongoing, so we'll see updates to some of the games in
a month or two, then the gallery opening in Switzerland in October,
and lots more.

Send an email to lovecraft-at-illuminatedlantern.com to vote for Best
in Show, any time between now and June 30. There are no restrictions
to game discussion on the forums or elsewhere during the voting
period.

Enjoy,

-- Peter Nepstad
http://www.illuminatedlantern.com/if

Cassy Palop

Jun 19, 2007, 4:22:26 AM6/19/07

It seems that currently the link to Beyond the Threshold does not
work. (http://www.illuminatedlantern.com/if/www.nacht-und-nebel.org/
cms/media/hp/Beyond.zip)

Cassy

Urbatain

Jun 19, 2007, 4:44:50 AM6/19/07
Sorry to post this here, but I could not find a "contact" entry in
your web.

I participated like an IMPLEMENTOR :) into the Spanish entry. I'm
making an interview with my partners for the SPAC, the spanish e-zine.
So I think it could be a good idea if our French friends make one more
too, and you interview the English guys. I could send you mine badly
translated to english, so you could edit it and send it to SPAG for a
"world wide" interview about the project. I'm quite interested in hear
the others experiences, above all, the French ones, because I don't
know anything of that language. I could play the English ones without
problems.

And of course We are looking for about information about how it's
going all the entries in the real museum exibition. Keep us informed
about, because this could be important about promotion of the
Interactive Fiction world wide. And we must do efforts to share this
project in forums and websites glad to hear about Lovecraft stuff.

Thanks for start the project and good luck to all of us!

See you.

Urbatain.

PTN

Jun 19, 2007, 9:31:21 AM6/19/07
On Jun 19, 4:22 am, Cassy Palop <cassandrapa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems that currently the link to Beyond the Threshold does not
> work. (http://www.illuminatedlantern.com/if/www.nacht-und-nebel.org/
> cms/media/hp/Beyond.zip)

I will not be able to fix this until later this afternoon, but in the
meantime simply remove the www.illuminatedlantern.com/if/ part of the
URL and it should work.

Best,

-- Peter

Cassy Palop

Jun 19, 2007, 11:21:41 AM6/19/07
>simply remove thewww.illuminatedlantern.com/if/part of the

>URL and it should work.

It works! Thanks a lot!

(Wow! 26MB...)

All the very best,
Cassy

PTN

Jun 20, 2007, 12:03:11 PM6/20/07
I can confirm that there will be a kiosk set up at the exhibition to
play some, if not all, of the games. Next step is to work on a front-
end interface for it, and possibly adjust the games to be more easily
playable in a browsing, gallery-style environment.

PTN

Jun 24, 2007, 2:33:06 AM6/24/07

There is one more week left to get in your votes at lovecraft -at-
illuminatedlantern.com.

A couple games have been bug-fixed: Ecdysis is now version 1.4, and if
you have previously downloaded it to play but have not done so or are
interested in having another go it is strongly recommended you
download the new version as it makes it more possible to get to the
ending of the game. Dead Cities is also on a new version as of
Saturday morning. It is hoped that these changes will result in a more
pleasurable gaming experience.

Enjoy,

http://www.illuminatedlantern.com/if/lovecraft.html

Emily Short

Jun 24, 2007, 2:39:33 AM6/24/07

Neat.

So far I've only tried Dead Cities, but enjoyed it quite a bit.

Dave Griffith

Jun 24, 2007, 5:06:37 AM6/24/07
Emily Short <ems...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> So far I've only tried Dead Cities, but enjoyed it quite a bit.

Same here. I don't think I've gotten very far, but I've certainly
gotten the creepy "what the hell is going on?" feeling I get from
reading Lovecraft. So I think it's safe to say that Jon Ingold got the
mood and atmosphere right.

--
David Griffith
dgr...@cs.csbuak.edu <-- Switch the 'b' and 'u'

Depresiv

Jun 24, 2007, 5:15:53 AM6/24/07
On 24 jun, 11:06, dgri...@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave Griffith) wrote:

> Emily Short <emsh...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > So far I've only tried Dead Cities, but enjoyed it quite a bit.
>
> Same here. I don't think I've gotten very far, but I've certainly
> gotten the creepy "what the hell is going on?" feeling I get from
> reading Lovecraft. So I think it's safe to say that Jon Ingold got the
> mood and atmosphere right.
>
> --
> David Griffith
> dgri...@cs.csbuak.edu <-- Switch the 'b' and 'u'

Same here too. It wouldn't be the right place here to ask for hints,
would it? :)

Zer

Jun 24, 2007, 7:38:09 PM6/24/07
Count me in :) I'm just wondering does anybody finish game with
*really* good ending?

Emily Short

Jun 25, 2007, 5:26:20 PM6/25/07

I was assuming that, given that it's Lovecraft, you can't get a
*really* good ending...

Dave Griffith

Jun 29, 2007, 6:48:38 PM6/29/07
Depresiv <pablo...@yahoo.es> wrote:
> On 24 jun, 11:06, dgri...@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave Griffith) wrote:
>> Emily Short <emsh...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> > So far I've only tried Dead Cities, but enjoyed it quite a bit.
>>
>> Same here. I don't think I've gotten very far, but I've certainly
>> gotten the creepy "what the hell is going on?" feeling I get from
>> reading Lovecraft. So I think it's safe to say that Jon Ingold got the
>> mood and atmosphere right.

> Same here too. It wouldn't be the right place here to ask for hints,
> would it? :)

Hm... Okay, I've gotten out of the house after the old man locked me in
the study. I found him outside babbling about the book, then the game
ends. I don't think that's the "good" ending.

--
David Griffith
dgr...@cs.csbuak.edu <-- Switch the 'b' and 'u'

Adam Thornton

Jun 30, 2007, 12:00:07 PM6/30/07
In article <a%fhi.36202$Um6....@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net>,

Dave Griffith <dgr...@cs.csbuak.edu> wrote:
>Hm... Okay, I've gotten out of the house after the old man locked me in
>the study. I found him outside babbling about the book, then the game
>ends. I don't think that's the "good" ending.

You're still alive and sane?

That's a better ending than Lovecraft would have given you, you
ungrateful wretch.

Adam

EtrF

Jun 30, 2007, 7:36:03 PM6/30/07
On Jun 30, 10:00 am, a...@fsf.net (Adam Thornton) wrote:
> In article <a%fhi.36202$Um6.24...@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net>,

> Dave Griffith <dgri...@cs.csbuak.edu> wrote:
> >Hm... Okay, I've gotten out of the house after the old man locked me in
> >the study. I found him outside babbling about the book, then the game
> >ends. I don't think that's the "good" ending.
>
> You're still alive and sane?

You're niether. Thats why it's an ending.

Zer

Jun 30, 2007, 8:17:34 PM6/30/07
On 30 , 06:48, dgri...@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave Griffith) wrote:
> dgri...@cs.csbuak.edu <-- Switch the 'b' and 'u'

You can: save *city* from *peril* - get precious Newton's book -
destroy Kaman-Thah - leave mansion

That best ending I've got. And it still ... yes... *doubtful*

Norvell

Jul 4, 2007, 4:31:04 PM7/4/07
On Jun 24, 4:15 am, Depresiv <pablote...@yahoo.es> wrote:
> Same here too. It wouldn't be the right place here to ask for hints,
> would it? :)

Possible spoiler question...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I've found only six visitable locations, yet the game file is 437 KB/
z8 format. Anybody know whether there's more to find or did all the
included extensions (type "script on") require the bigger size/format?

Emily Short

Jul 31, 2007, 12:51:17 PM7/31/07
On Jun 19, 6:13 am, PTN <pet...@illuminatedlantern.com> wrote:
> ...by 18 authors, writing 7 games, using 5 game development platforms,
> in 3 different languages. The games are available at:
>
> http://www.illuminatedlantern.com/if/lovecraft.html
>
> Please play, discuss, rate, etc. Originally I had hoped for a "Best"
> in various categories, but since almost everyone chose different
> development platforms to build their games, just think about awarding
> a "Best in Show" overall for the English language games, so that game
> can be highlighted appropriately.

Recently posted (quite short) reviews of Ecdysis and The Cellar at

http://emshort.wordpress.com/2007/07/28/commonplace-book-project-ecdysis-the-cellar/

if anyone is interested.

PTN

Jul 31, 2007, 6:34:52 PM7/31/07
On Jul 31, 11:51 am, Emily Short <emsh...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Recently posted (quite short) reviews of Ecdysis and The Cellar at
>
> http://emshort.wordpress.com/2007/07/28/commonplace-book-project-ecdy...
>
> if anyone is interested.

Always interested, always happy to see your comments.

I've just now uploaded a new version of Ecdysis (1.5). This version
uses hyperlinks -- though, if you're using Gargoyle, you won't notice
it. But using an HTML TADS player, you'll now be able to almost play
the entire game through without typing a thing, just clicking on
links. This is an effort to shape the game for play in a gallery
environment, where time is short and interest is casual.

The hyperlinks also make it easier to get to the "good" ending of
Ecdysis, which I've also clued better (for those playing without the
links).

-- Peter
http://www.illuminatedlantern.com/if

Emily Short

Aug 2, 2007, 1:34:00 PM8/2/07
On Jul 31, 11:34 pm, PTN <pet...@illuminatedlantern.com> wrote:
> I've just now uploaded a new version of Ecdysis (1.5). This version
> uses hyperlinks -- though, if you're using Gargoyle, you won't notice
> it. But using an HTML TADS player, you'll now be able to almost play
> the entire game through without typing a thing, just clicking on
> links. This is an effort to shape the game for play in a gallery
> environment, where time is short and interest is casual.
>
> The hyperlinks also make it easier to get to the "good" ending of
> Ecdysis, which I've also clued better (for those playing without the
> links).

Hm! I had assumed there wasn't one, but even now with the new version
and knowing that I should be looking harder for such a thing, I'm not
having much luck...

PTN

Aug 2, 2007, 2:31:44 PM8/2/07
On Aug 2, 12:34 pm, Emily Short <emsh...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > The hyperlinks also make it easier to get to the "good" ending of
> > Ecdysis, which I've also clued better (for those playing without the
> > links).
>
> Hm! I had assumed there wasn't one, but even now with the new version
> and knowing that I should be looking harder for such a thing, I'm not
> having much luck...

That's probably because it is still poorly implemented :(.

Just to be sure we're talking about the same things, the bad ending
states *You are Lost*, and is soul-suckingly miserable; while the
"good" ending states *You are Free* and is just simply depressing.

Both endings can be reached in the last room, depending on the choices
you make there, and regardless of how you got there in the first place
(which, as you have noted, is quite linear). If you've explored your
environment a bit more up top, the good ending is clued a bit more on
bottom, but otherwise it is the same.

-- Peter

Emily Short

Aug 2, 2007, 2:54:37 PM8/2/07
On Aug 2, 7:31 pm, PTN <pet...@illuminatedlantern.com> wrote:
> Both endings can be reached in the last room, depending on the choices
> you make there, and regardless of how you got there in the first place
> (which, as you have noted, is quite linear). If you've explored your
> environment a bit more up top, the good ending is clued a bit more on
> bottom, but otherwise it is the same.
>
> -- Peter

Aha: got it now. I had tried something quite close to being right...

I had tried remembering some things -- home, I think, and Helen, and
the kids -- but had not tried REMEMBER EARTH first, and therefore
wasn't able to get that to work (and assumed it wasn't going to lead
anywhere).

Anyway, I am perversely relieved to discover that the "good" ending
still isn't all sweetness and light; it just wouldn't seem right with
this piece, you know?