The Absolute Worst Game....

Adam Thornton

Nov 17, 2008, 11:03:21 PM11/17/08
I don't know if anyone else noticed this, and *I* thought it was simply
brilliant, but it *might* have been accidental.

I once managed to make it through the maze. Up to this point, the game
was, indeed, a litany of What Not To Do: grotesque underimplementation,
random death, a maze.

But then you get to the goal, where there's the scarabaeus of whatever.
The game--in addition to all the "classic" ways it's managed to suck up
to this point--then finds a brand new Inform 7 New Millenium way to
suck.

"Scarabaeus" doesn't work! You have to somehow type the funny ae
ligature, or cut-n-paste it from the item description. I thought that
was very clever, if it was intentional.

Adam

David Goldfarb

Nov 18, 2008, 6:46:01 AM11/18/08
In article <gfteq9$d0d$1...@fileserver.fsf.net>,

Adam Thornton <ad...@fileserver.fsf.net> wrote:
>I once managed to make it through the maze. Up to this point, the game
>was, indeed, a litany of What Not To Do: grotesque underimplementation,
>random death, a maze.
>
>But then you get to the goal, where there's the scarabaeus of whatever.

Huh. That was possible? I remember wandering around and getting
a seemingly-random "***YOU HAVE WON***" message, but I don't remember
seeing an item.

--
David Goldfarb |
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu | "End of the universe. Have fun. Bye-bye!"

dean.m...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2008, 5:48:55 PM11/18/08
On Nov 18, 5:46 am, goldf...@OCF.Berkeley.EDU (David Goldfarb) wrote:
> In article <gfteq9$d0...@fileserver.fsf.net>,

> Adam Thornton <a...@fileserver.fsf.net> wrote:
> >I once managed to make it through the maze.  Up to this point, the game
> >was, indeed, a litany of What Not To Do: grotesque underimplementation,
> >random death, a maze.
>
> >But then you get to the goal, where there's the scarabaeus of whatever.
>
> Huh.  That was possible?  I remember wandering around and getting
> a seemingly-random "***YOU HAVE WON***" message, but I don't remember
> seeing an item.
>
> --
>    David Goldfarb          |
> goldf...@ocf.berkeley.edu  |  "End of the universe.  Have fun.  Bye-bye!"
> goldf...@csua.berkeley.edu |

Yes it was possible.

Here is a walkthrough (if die or win then UNDO):

east. east. west. up. sw. e. s. ne.

And then if you try and "take scarabaeus", it doesn't work. But you
can do "get all", though.

dean.m...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2008, 5:52:32 PM11/18/08

> Huh.  That was possible?  I remember wandering around and getting
> a seemingly-random "***YOU HAVE WON***" message, but I don't remember
> seeing an item.

The game has random death and random *victory*, but it also has a way
to complete the maze properly.

e. e. w. up. sw. e. s. ne. get scarabæus.