The 1999 Adventurer`s Convention (UK)

1 view

Larry Horsfield

Jul 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/3/99

Hello, this message has been posted to draw your attention to......

THE 10th ANNIVERSARY ADVENTURE`S CONVENTION

The Royal Angus Thistle Hotel, Birmingham, Saturday, October 30th 1999.

10 years ago in 1990, a small group of text adventure enthusiasts, all readers
of "Adventure Probe" magazine, decided to hold a convention at a hotel in
Edgbaston, Birmingham (UK). We didn`t think anyone would turn up, and so were
delighted when over 100 fellow "Probe" readers turned up on the day! We all
had a marvellous time, putting faces to names and voices and making lots of
new friends.

The following year we did it again, this time at the hotel on the other side
of Birmingham that has almost become our second home, and over 200 people
attended what was an absolutely fantastic and entertaining event. Here we are,
in the last year of the millennium, and we are still going strong!

The Convention runs from 9am to 6pm and covers ALL formats of computers, from
Spectrums to PC`s. Tables are available if you wish to bring your own
computer, which we actively encourage - the more the merrier! You are welcome
to bring along software/hardware for sale, although no pirated software
please!

Adventurers come from all over the UK to attend the convention, and the
atmosphere is very friendly and informal. Many of us stay overnight at the
hotel, and the Friday and Saturday evenings are just as lively and
entertaining as the the Convention itself. We haven`t yet managed to attract
anyone from outside the UK, but we live in hope!

During the day we have the popular "Megapoints" competition running, where
contestants have 20 minutes playing time at a specially-written text
adventure, with the object of scoring as many points as possible. There will
be cash prizes and certificates for the 3 highest scorers (well, everyone says
we should be certified anyway!) The game this year is being written by Edwina
Brown, and the only information she has divulged about the game is that it
will celebrate our 10th anniversary.

Tickets for the Convention cost 5 GBP per person. Cheques or P.O.`s (do NOT
send cash) should be made payable to V. JACKSON and sent to:

Vicky Jackson, 128 Merton Hall Road, Wimbledon, London, SW19 3PZ

If ordering more than one ticket, please give the names of all ticket holders.

Accommodation: The Royal Angus Thistle Hotel has again given us special room
rates for those attending the Convention, should you wish to stay over. These
include full English breakfast and are: Single Room 40 GBP per person per
night, and Double/Twin Room 35 GBP per person per night. Please contact the
Hotel direct to book your accommodation, NOT the Convention organisers. The
address is:

The Royal Angus Thistle Hotel, St.Chad`s, Queensway, Birmingham, B4 6HY

Telephone: 0121-236-4211 Fax: 0121-236-3626

Email: birming...@thistle.co.uk

We suggest that you book as early as possible and make sure that you tell the
hotel you are attending the Adventurer`s Convention, as the normal room rates
are more than twice what they are charging us!

If you have any queries about the Convention, please contact myself at the
address below, or Karen Tyers: kar...@aldwark.freeserve.co.uk or telephone
01347-838667.

Do come and join us, even if just for the Saturday. You will make lots of new
friends and have a good time as well. We look forward to seeing you there!

Larry Horsfield

ala...@larryhorsfield.demon.co.uk