I7 port of Crowther's Adventure: interest?

onec...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2008, 1:03:27 AM10/2/08
A few months ago, I decided to port Crowther's version of Adventure
(pre-Woods* -- see http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/001/2/000009.html
), and finished a couple of months later. I wrote it as a tool to
learn familiarity with the language, primarily, and also because I
liked the idea of porting the oldest known version of the oldest IF
game to a modern language. I tried to reproduce the original program's
behavior as much as possible, while still making use of some of the
niceties provided by Inform.

I just updated it to take advantage of a couple of 5U92 features, and
I was wondering if anyone was interested in seeing it made available.
Obviously, the main focus of this project would be the source code, so
it could function as a learning tool for others.

-Chris Conley

*The file came from Woods' student account, and to be honest, I wonder
if he had already started to make a couple of changes. The random-
teleporting rooms like Bedquilt are very buggy, and most of the
locations in the Secret Canyon list exits that don't yet exist -- but,
importantly, *do exist* in the Crowther-Woods version.

Al

Oct 2, 2008, 11:46:29 AM10/2/08
On Oct 1, 11:03 pm, oneco...@gmail.com wrote:
> A few months ago, I decided to port Crowther's version of Adventure
> (pre-Woods* -- seehttp://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/001/2/000009.html

> ), and finished a couple of months later. I wrote it as a tool to
> learn familiarity with the language, primarily, and also because I
> liked the idea of porting the oldest known version of the oldest IF
> game to a modern language. I tried to reproduce the original program's
> behavior as much as possible, while still making use of some of the
> niceties provided by Inform.
>
> I just updated it to take advantage of a couple of 5U92 features, and
> I was wondering if anyone was interested in seeing it made available.
> Obviously, the main focus of this project would be the source code, so
> it could function as a learning tool for others.

ABSOLUTELY ! ! ! I am always looking for I7 Source code to see how
things are done by other authors.

ishas...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2008, 4:39:57 PM10/2/08

wow i was just thinking about doing that myself. But yes a version of
Crowther's with an updated parser would be nice.

Raksab

Oct 3, 2008, 1:40:46 AM10/3/08

Colossal Cave has been ported to just about every IF system known to
humanity, along with many adaptations. On the other hand, I've never
seen an I7 version. If one were available, I'd sure love a peek at
it.

Writing in those twisty mazes must sure have been tedious, though.

onec...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2008, 4:12:38 AM10/3/08

Exactly, that's why I said it's mainly for writers' education value.
But then again, I've never seen a port of Crowther's version, nor one
for I7.

Thanks for the responses. I've just been cleaning up a couple little
things, then I'll look into what's involved in submitting to the
Archive.

-Chris

Aaron A. Reed

Oct 6, 2008, 7:12:13 PM10/6/08

Cool, Chris. :) I actually ported the later, Crowther-Woods version to
I7 a while ago. I've been meaning to upgrade it to remove a few hacks
that were necessitated by bugs in the prior build of Inform, then
submit it to the IF archive, but the current version is at
http://aaronareed.net/if/advent-i7.txt .

--Aaron