Spring Thing 2008 games available for download

Greg Boettcher

Apr 2, 2008, 3:28:57 PM4/2/08
The Spring Thing games are now available for download. There are three
games this year:

ADRIFT games:
Without A Clue, by David Whyld

Glulx games:
Blue Lacuna: Sneak Preview, by Aaron A. Reed

Z-Code games:
Pascal's Wager, by Doug Egan

You can find out everything you need to know at:
http://www.springthing.net/2008/

You'll find the links to download the games on that page.

The deadline for voting is 11:59 PM EDT, Monday, April 28, 2008.

The voting page isn't up yet, but with any luck I will get it in
place
this week. Eventually the proper voting page will be at:
http://www.springthing.net/2008/vote.htm

________springthing_dot_net
greg_at

To all the players, have fun! To all the entrants, good luck!

Greg

Al

Apr 2, 2008, 5:09:12 PM4/2/08
The ADRIFT game:

Without A Clue appears to be damaged.

dwh...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2008, 5:23:41 PM4/2/08
On Apr 2, 10:09 pm, Al <radic...@evcohs.com> wrote:
> The ADRIFT game:
>
> Without A Clue appears to be damaged.

Ouch. In what way?

Daphne Brinkerhoff

Apr 2, 2008, 5:26:20 PM4/2/08
On Apr 2, 4:09 pm, Al <radic...@evcohs.com> wrote:
> The  ADRIFT game:
>
> Without A Clue appears to be damaged.

Damaged how? I just downloaded it and it looks okay to me.

--
Daphne

Greg Boettcher

Apr 2, 2008, 5:31:26 PM4/2/08
On Apr 2, 3:09 pm, Al <radic...@evcohs.com> wrote:
> The  ADRIFT game:
>
> Without A Clue appears to be damaged.

I don't see anything wrong with it. If you're having problems, my
first guess is that you might check to see if you've got the most
recent version of the Adrift Runner. Over at www.adrift.org.uk, I see
that the most recent version is Adrift 4.0 Release 50.

Greg

Al

Apr 2, 2008, 5:34:41 PM4/2/08
On Apr 2, 2:31 pm, Greg Boettcher <WRITETOgre...@gregboettcher.com>
wrote:

> I don't see anything wrong with it. If you're having problems, my
> first guess is that you might check to see if you've got the most

> recent version of the Adrift Runner. Over atwww.adrift.org.uk, I see

> that the most recent version is Adrift 4.0 Release 50.

It's not running under SCARE either Mac or Windows GLK

Daphne Brinkerhoff

Apr 2, 2008, 6:28:09 PM4/2/08

It does work with the Adrift Runner for Windows, so if you have access
to a Windows machine, I'd try that.

Also, looks like the latest SCARE version came out about two weeks ago
-- if that's what you're using, could it be a bug in SCARE that you're
seeing, rather than a bug in David Whyld's game?

--
Daphne

JDC

Apr 2, 2008, 6:39:47 PM4/2/08

I'm having the same problem. Zoom (and Spatterlight) on OS X quits
with the response:
Glk SCARE Error
Unable to load an Adrift game from the requested file.

Zoom seems to be using version 1.3.8 of SCARE. I just built the 1.3.9
release (the most recent) on OS X, but that doesn't work either. It
quits with output:
scare: parse_get_taf_boolean: invalid boolean at line 38715
scare: parse_stack_backtrace: version 4.00 schema parsed to depth 1
scare: parse_stack_backtrace: parse stack backtrace follows...
scare: 0 - [s] "CustomFont"
scare: run_create: error parsing game data
./scare: /Users/john/Desktop/SpringThing2008/Without A Clue/
Without.taf: Not a loadable Adrift game

So maybe there is something incompatible about the most recent version
of ADRIFT; I'm afraid I don't know enough to offer any more than this.

-JDC

dwh...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2008, 6:58:25 PM4/2/08
That's annoying. I ran an earlier version of the game through Gargoyle
and it seemed to run okay - a few display issues but nothing that
prevented it being played. Probably should have tested the final
version too but, well, time was pressing.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue how to fix this problem.

Simon Baldwin

Apr 2, 2008, 9:16:09 PM4/2/08

I've just taken a quick look. The problem relates to game ALRs, and
looks a lot like a game bug. The game's header says that there are
127 of them, but the text area for ALRs actually contains 128. Did
you add, or subtract, ALRs at the last minute? Remember that
Generator is not good at handling some of the cases where things in a
game are added and then later removed, and that Runner is lax when
reading in games, a rather unfortunate combination.

The very last ALR is "You can't take the bars! There are no bars here
anymore.". If you look at the game with Generator, is this one there,
or not?

The problem is not related to the version of SCARE, and probably not
the version of Generator either. You'll see it with this game in the
Gargoyle you have (though with less detail -- no backtrace), and
that's based on elderly SCARE source.

You could try to re-load ALRs into the game in Generator, perhaps even
adding a "null" entry or two, re-save, and see if that fixes things
with Gargoyle.

poster

Apr 3, 2008, 8:49:18 AM4/3/08

*shaking head* Another case of Windows-only software screwing it up for
everyone else...*sigh*

-- Poster

zeropres...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2008, 9:54:40 AM4/3/08
> -- Poster- Hide quoted text -

Jesus, get over yourself.

Adam Thornton

Apr 3, 2008, 10:43:50 AM4/3/08
In article <c062fb87-8caf-48af...@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

<zeropres...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Apr 3, 7:49 am, poster <pos...@nospam.aurora.cotse.net> wrote:
>> *shaking head* Another case of Windows-only software screwing it up for
>Jesus, get over yourself.

I see no Jesus here.

Also, I think it's perfectly reasonable to bitch if one of the entries
doesn't run on your platform of choice.

I did that, long and hard, about Inform 7 and Linux, and I was punished
by being given the source code and told to make it work.

Maybe we should have something of a straw poll among r*if readers: who
uses what as their primary OS? While Windows may be a plurality, I bet
it's no longer an absolute majority, let alone an overwhelming
majority.

Me, I run a Mac OS X desktop. I have lots of Linux around in
infrastructural roles, but not generally as graphical environments. I
have a Windows Boot Camp partition, which I fire up once a week or so on
average under Parallels. Basically, if it doesn't run on OS X, I
probably am not going to bother with it unless I'm convinced that it's
truly extraordinary (like _Barkley: Shut Up And Jam Gaiden_).

Adam

S. John Ross

Apr 3, 2008, 1:37:49 PM4/3/08

> I see no Jesus here.

Sorry I'm late ... I was in another game and had this _really_
fiendish puzzle bogging me down. Had to feed a whole _multitude_ with
an alarmingly small number of loaves and fishes ... had to go to the
Hints in the end.

dwh...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2008, 1:44:18 PM4/3/08

It's definitely a problem stemming from the ALR, but I'm not sure it's
the last line. Deleting that makes no difference to the game running
under either SCARE or Gargoyle; deleting the entire ALR file fixes the
problem... but introduces a whole host of others. It might just have
to be a case of hacking apart the ALR line by line until I find the
problem, although I've looked over the whole thing and as far as I can
see there's nothing obviously wrong with it.

At times like this, the other IF systems working nicely cross platform
really starts to seem appealing...

Sarah...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2008, 10:18:59 PM4/3/08
On Apr 3, 7:43 am, a...@fsf.net (Adam Thornton) wrote:
> In article <c062fb87-8caf-48af-864f-78b45d75a...@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

I have Mac OS X, and I use Spatterlight. I normally can play Adrift
games on it, but an error thing showed up when I tried to play
"Without a Clue." I am a big fan of David Whyld, and I want to play
his new game. Grrrrr >:(

Aaron A. Reed

Apr 3, 2008, 10:28:53 PM4/3/08
On Apr 3, 11:44 am, dwh...@gmail.com wrote:
> At times like this, the other IF systems working nicely cross platform
> really starts to seem appealing...

It's no picnic getting Glulx to work cross-platform either, these
days.

--Aaron

Aaron A. Reed

Apr 4, 2008, 1:50:26 AM4/4/08
On Apr 3, 8:28 pm, "Aaron A. Reed" <aar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's no picnic getting Glulx to work cross-platform either, these
> days.

That sounded less nice than I intended.

It's an amazingly nice picnic with apple slices and the good kind of
potato salad, compared to coding something from scratch for every
platform in existence.

--Aaron

dwh...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2008, 2:23:48 AM4/4/08
Fortunately, the game is now fixed and I've sent the new version off
to Greg Boettcher. I'm still not really sure how the problem got into
the game in the first place, but at least it's now sorted out.

JDC

Apr 4, 2008, 11:31:37 AM4/4/08

You should know better than to make provocative statements like this.
I'm sure this thread will now devolve into the usual debate about what
"the good kind of potato salad" is :).

-JDC
(partial to German potato salad, myself)

Greg Boettcher

Apr 11, 2008, 5:02:36 PM4/11/08
On Apr 2, 2:28 pm, Greg Boettcher > The voting page isn't up yet, but

with any luck I will get it in
> place
> this week. Eventually the proper voting page will be at:http://www.springthing.net/2008/vote.htm

I have not managed to get the voting page working this year (I changed
hosts), so I am asking people to submit their votes by email. Please
email me at address below. If possible, please use "ST vote" as your
subject. Please state your vote for each of the three games on a scale
of 1 to 10 (10 being highest). You can submit as many 10s as you want,
as many 1s as you want, etc.

As the voting rules stipulate, voters are asked to vote on all the
games if they can. (If you cannot vote for any one of the games,
please tell me why. Remember that you can vote on games you've beta-
tested if you wish. If you cannot play one of the games, or prefer not
to vote on it for some other reason, feel free to email me and I'll be
more than happy to answer any questions.)

I'll be glad to offer confirmation of your votes by e-mail **to all
people who email me more than at least 24 hours before the deadline.**
Otherwise, for people whose votes come to me in the last 24 hours,
I'll certainly include your votes if I get them in time, though I
can't be sure I'll send you any kind of confirmation before the voting
deadline.

The judging period will end at 11:59 pm EDT, April 28, 2008.

Anyway, you can email me at:

________springthing_dot_net
greg_at

Greg