C-40 competition results

David Fisher

Dec 10, 2007, 6:55:56 PM12/10/07
In case anyone is wondering, the C-40 competition (for ZCode games of any
type 40K or less in size) only had one entrant. Sam Trenholme wrote:

> Thanks a lot for the entries. I will make a zip file of these entries
> this weekend, and upload it to ifarchive early next week. Since you
> are the only person who submitted entries to this contest, I will
> forego the judging period and declare you the winner. :-)

So, yay!

Naturally, I would love people to know about the games, so I thought I'd
make an announcement. None of them are IF, but one is more IF-themed than
the others ("Cryptographer").

(1) "ZRacer" is a real-time racing game using ASCII graphics. Real-time mode
can be turned off to make it turn based, and the colours and controls can be
customised. It also includes a level editor.

Eric Forgeot helped to test it, and he said: "It's really an incredible game
you've made ! I can't believe it was made in zmachine, it's amazing."

There is a screen shot shown on the web page below.

(2) "Animals" is a word-related logic puzzle involving a set of animal
names. You need to try and figure out why a word is included or excluded
from a group. Rules include things like "the word contains a double letter"
or "the word has exactly three vowels".

Yves Lorrat tested this one, and wrote: "It's actually quite addictive."

(3) "Cryptographer" is a simple code breaking game, where the letters A-Z
are each replaced with another letter. It was a bit too easy for Yves
Lorrat's tastes, so I have added a "difficulty" setting to make it harder if
desired (by hiding capitalisation and punctuation).

There are 60 different texts to choose from, all related to Interactive
Fiction in some way. I had fun choosing the texts; some of them are from
RAIF newsgroup posts.

---

You can download these three games from:

http://dfisher.serverspeople.net/ifgames.html

(under "Non-IF ZCode Games").

Even though there is no voting period any more, I would welcome any feedback
about the games ...

David Fisher