Jay is Games Competition results just published

Michael Neal Tenuis

Feb 22, 2010, 7:01:44 PM2/22/10
Hi everyone,

I just saw that the results of the Casual Gameplay Design Competition #7
are out now at http://jayisgames.com/archives/2010/02/cgdc7_results.php
-- congratulations to the winners, cool to see some well-known IF names
(but also kudos to any newcomers, and indeed to everyone who created
something he or she is satisfied with)!

Regards,
Michael

namekuseijin

Feb 22, 2010, 11:12:41 PM2/22/10
whoa! There was a prize in money?!

hey, now I'm all for targetting IF to the casual crowd... ^^;

ok, making money is good, but being restricted to just short, funny,
escapist themes is not much fun... :P

BrooksSeveer

Feb 23, 2010, 10:26:45 AM2/23/10
Well, the theme for THIS competition was escape. Jay is Games has run
other Flash based competitions with very different themes. I'm sure if
they chose to do another IF competition they'd use a different theme.
I know for me, personally, the theme was very helpful in terms of
inspiring me on what kind of game I wanted to make. If I didn't have
that theme to start off from, I probably would have been too
ambitious, made my game too big, and never wound up completing it at
all. (as it was, I barely managed to finish it in time for the comp
anyway!)

Also, about humor, if you look at the top four games (or the top ten
for that matter), exactly half were comedic in nature: Hoosegow, Party
Foul, Roofed, Monday 16:30, and The Usher. The rest, with some
extremely strong entries, were either more literary, more serious, or
more enigmatic in nature. I personally adored Dual Transform. So I
don't think you have to be "funny" in order to win.

Anyway, I just want to thank everyone here and also at RAIF for
helping ME out with a lot of answers to questions as I was coding my
game. I've heard it said a little in my short stint being involved in
this world that the "community" needs to be more welcoming to
"newbies". Well, it's been my experience as a new author that I have
received encouragement and help from all quarters. Personally I feel
like I've really found a corner (for the first time really) in the
world wide web in which to call my home. I look forward to writing,
creating, helping, and collaborating more.

- Brooks.

Andrew Plotkin

Feb 23, 2010, 11:16:59 AM2/23/10
Here, BrooksSeveer <brooks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, the theme for THIS competition was escape. Jay is Games has run
> other Flash based competitions with very different themes.

A theme-provided competition feels quite different from the IFComp's
wide-open "make good work" model. And the fixed scoring system
undoubtedly makes a difference too.

But variety is good. We've finally gotten a short-IF competition that
drew as much interest as the IFComp; it would have been a wasted
opportunity if it were *identical* to the IFComp.

(Personally I didn't feel very limited by the "escape" theme. But
then, if you look at the broken-down scores, I didn't score very well
for "theme"! So I made a tradeoff there.)

> I personally adored Dual Transform.

Thanks!

> Anyway, I just want to thank everyone here and also at RAIF for
> helping ME out with a lot of answers to questions as I was coding my
> game.

You're welcome, and congratulations.

--Z

*

namekuseijin

Feb 23, 2010, 12:16:45 PM2/23/10
welcome! Don't feel down by funny little trollish remarks like
mine. :)

Poster

Feb 24, 2010, 11:47:42 PM2/24/10
In article
<078e2c89-96a9-45db...@x1g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
BrooksSeveer <brooks...@gmail.com> wrote:

A lot of us felt this way at first. I know I did. Welcome, but don't
expect the widespread acceptance to last -- it disappears the instant
that you start asking the wrong kinds of questions.

--
Poster

www.intaligo.com I6 libraries, doom metal, Building
sturmdrangif.wordpress.com Game development blog / IF commentary
Seasons: Q4 '10 -- One-man projects are prone to delays.

Andrew Plotkin

Feb 25, 2010, 7:55:03 PM2/25/10
I've uploaded a post-comp release of "Dual Transform" to the Archive.
(Also on my web site.) There are no game changes, but I've added my
real name, and some "about" text -- crediting the beta-testers,
whom I had to shamefully neglect in the original release (or I would
have blown the pseudonym).