Run water and other murders of mimesis

Toni Ylisirniö

May 13, 2005, 6:07:48 AM5/13/05
[in a bathroom]
> run water
That's not something you can enter.

Playing a game today, I encountered the above example... What kinds
of experiences of sudden and strange murders of mimesis have you
encountered in various games? What are the worst offenders and what
are the most funny offenders?

Part of the purpose is to gather amusing examples, and part to gather
warning examples of what to expect and avoid when making my first
game... So share your experiences. :)

(Crossposted to both r.a.if and r.g.if since I thought this would be
topical on both, and to get wider base for responces. Apologies if
this was improper.)

--
Toni Y.

Robin Johnson

May 13, 2005, 6:15:58 AM5/13/05
Toni Ylisirniö wrote:

> What are the worst offenders and what
> are the most funny offenders?

>give arthur towel

To whom?

>arthur

You can't see any Arthur towel here!

--
Robin Johnson

dswxyz

May 13, 2005, 8:33:38 AM5/13/05
In a very recently released game, I had this fun experience:

>eat stone
You are not a cannibal.

-- David Welbourn

Quintin Stone

May 13, 2005, 9:36:00 AM5/13/05

Sounds like a perfectly natural response to me.

==--- --=--=-- ---==
Quintin Stone "You speak of necessary evil? One of those necessities
st...@rps.net is that if innocents must suffer, the guilty must suffer
www.rps.net more." - Mackenzie Calhoun, "Once Burned" by Peter David

Eric Eve

May 13, 2005, 12:45:53 PM5/13/05
"dswxyz" <dsw...@look.ca> wrote in message

> In a very recently released game, I had this fun experience:
>
>>eat stone
> You are not a cannibal.

Good catch! (I'm the guilty author in question). Now you point it
out I'm kicking myself - it's immediately obvious to *me* how this
particularly absurdity has come about.

Well, at least someone's playing this game!

-- Eric

JohnnyMrNinja

May 13, 2005, 1:57:39 PM5/13/05
This isn't IF really, but it happened right before I read this... I
just bought Buffy for PS2 (used, $5) and it's not nearly as bad as I
thought it would be. But the camera views are horrible! It's probably
the least navigable game camera I've ever seen. At one point, after
having a camera-battle with a door, I realized I was unconciously
worrying about the camera setting off a motion sensor.

RootShell

May 13, 2005, 2:06:50 PM5/13/05
Quintin Stone wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2005, dswxyz wrote:
>

>>In a very recently released game, I had this fun experience:
>>

>>>eat stone
>>
>>You are not a cannibal.
>>
>>-- David Welbourn
>

> Sounds like a perfectly natural response to me.

Same here, the lack of 'Sharon' is what makes is look funny ;)

--
RootShell, Lisbon, Portugal, Europe, Earth ;)
To protect against spam, the address in the "From:" header is not valid.

Nathan

May 13, 2005, 4:20:19 PM5/13/05

Toni Ylisirniö wrote:
> [in a bathroom]
> > run water
> That's not something you can enter.

I don't understand your command. What in the world does "run water"
mean?

Did I just fail a Turing test?

Shadow Wolf

May 13, 2005, 4:56:11 PM5/13/05
"Nathan" <nts...@netscape.net> wrote in news:1116015619.131557.4240
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

It means "turn on the water in the sink" -- at least in my dialect of
English (Western US).

--
Shadow Wolf
shadowolf3400 at yahoo dot com

Nathan

May 13, 2005, 5:14:22 PM5/13/05
Shadow Wolf wrote:
> "Nathan" <nts...@netscape.net> wrote in news:1116015619.131557.4240
> @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
>

> > Toni Ylisirniö wrote:
> >> [in a bathroom]
> >> That's not something you can enter.
> >
> > I don't understand your command. What in the world does "run water"
> > mean?
> >
> > Did I just fail a Turing test?
> >

> It means "turn on the water in the sink" -- at least in my dialect of

> English (Western US).

Weird. I'm a native English speaker from the western US, and I can't
use "run" as a transitive verb in this sense. Water runs; I don't run
it.

Steve Evans

May 14, 2005, 5:46:22 AM5/14/05
On 13 May 2005 14:14:22 -0700, "Nathan" <nts...@netscape.net> wrote:

>Shadow Wolf wrote:

>> English (Western US).
>
>Weird. I'm a native English speaker from the western US, and I can't
>use "run" as a transitive verb in this sense. Water runs; I don't run
>it.

Well, you're just unlucky, I guess. I can use "Run the water" with
impunity in my part of the world.

--Steve

Daryl McCullough

May 14, 2005, 5:10:26 PM5/14/05
Nathan says...

>Weird. I'm a native English speaker from the western US, and I can't
>use "run" as a transitive verb in this sense. Water runs; I don't run
>it.

Hmm. Maybe it's a regional thing, but it's very common in the areas
I've lived. If you google for the string "run the water", you get
lots of hits:

* ...As a courtesy, most water companies try to give notice of
flushing in your area, and advise residents not to run the water. ...

* ...Don't run the water continuously when washing dishes by hand...

* ...If the water supply has been shock chlorinated, run the water
until you can no longer smell chlorine...

* ... When you run the water from one of those faucets, fill
the container...

* ... When washing vehicles, run the water only to wet and rinse...

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

Graham Holden

May 16, 2005, 5:42:05 AM5/16/05
On 13 May 2005 15:56:11 -0500, Shadow Wolf
<shadow...@NOSPAMyahoo.invalid> wrote:

>"Nathan" <nts...@netscape.net> wrote in news:1116015619.131557.4240
>@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
>

>> Toni Ylisirniö wrote:
>>> [in a bathroom]
>>> That's not something you can enter.
>>
>> I don't understand your command. What in the world does "run water"
>> mean?
>>
>> Did I just fail a Turing test?
>>

>It means "turn on the water in the sink" -- at least in my dialect of
>English (Western US).

And, for once, it's common (well, at least I've heard it) on this side of
the non-running water. "To run a bath", "Run [the] water [for a bath]"
being quite acceptable here in the UK.

Regards,

Ian Haberkorn

May 17, 2005, 4:17:21 AM5/17/05
>From the Inform Designers Manual:

The nightmare of coding real characters is illustrated well by one of
Dave Lebling's example bugs from `Suspect' (1984):
>show corpse to michael
Michael doesn't appear interested.

The body is that of Veronica, Michael's wife.

Ian

Fredrik Ramsberg

May 17, 2005, 5:00:13 AM5/17/05

Hehe... Yeah, it's hard to cover everything a player might try.

You probably already knew this, but plenty of Infocom bugs can be found
at

http://hometown.aol.com/graemecree/infobugs/index.htm (Graeme Cree)

and

http://www.microheaven.com/InfocomBugs/ (Nathan Simpson)

Here's another one from Deadline, fetched from Nathan's list above:

In all versions, if you are together with someone in his bedroom, then
KNOCK ON BEDROOM DOOR produces, "A muffled voice says, "Come in!"".

Just like Suspect, Deadline is certainly one of the Infocom games which
rely most heavily on NPC interaction. We should also bear in mind that
the whole game had to fit in a 128KB story file, which means you can't
have responses for everything. To me, it's a remarkably well done game,
but having several NPC:s that you need to cooperate with in such a
small game means it can never be perfect.

/Fredrik

Nathan

May 17, 2005, 11:42:52 AM5/17/05
Fredrik Ramsberg wrote:
> You probably already knew this, but plenty of Infocom bugs can be
> found at
>
> http://hometown.aol.com/graemecree/infobugs/index.htm (Graeme Cree)
>
> and
>
> http://www.microheaven.com/InfocomBugs/ (Nathan Simpson)

Thanks for the plug, Fredrik!

> Here's another one from Deadline, fetched from Nathan's list above:
>
> In all versions, if you are together with someone in his bedroom,
> then KNOCK ON BEDROOM DOOR produces, "A muffled voice says, "Come
> in!"".

This probably isn't such a good answer to the original question,
since I found it by deliberately doing weird things. Why would anyone
knock on a bedroom door from the inside?

Here's a much better example, also from my list. I found this the
first time I tried seriously playing through A Mind Forever Voyaging.
Nothing of interest seemed to be happening in the Courthouse. I
thought maybe I needed to trigger something worth recording, so I
tried TALK TO WOMAN. I was told, "She can't hear you from here."
Now I thought I might be on the right track, but APPROACH WOMAN
brought the response, "He's here!". The obvious bug is the gender,
but there's a larger problem here. This woman is too far away to
hear me, but "he" is too close for me to approach.