Dungeon/Zork endgame

Greg Boettcher

Apr 10, 2007, 5:03:19 PM4/10/07
I wanted to see what happens at the end of the original mainframe
Zork, a.k.a. Dungeon. I wasn't all that interested in navigating
through the maze of rooms. For that matter, I wasn't really interested
in solving the puzzles, either. I just wanted to see what happened at
the end. I won't explain why I wanted that, except that it would help
with something I'm working on, which deals with the history of
computer games.

So anyway, I decided to play the game using a walkthrough. I only
found one walkthrough for the game, and it was for version 3.1.
Unfortunately, I could not find a 3.1 executable of the game anywhere.
So I played the WinGlk version of Andrew Plotkin's C translation,
version 3.2B, and hoped for the best.

Well, it didn't work. Apparently the endgame is not triggered until
you have all 616 points, and I'm sitting here with 611 points. Either
I missed something, or the walkthrough wasn't good enough for the
version I played. Probably the latter, I think.

So I have a few questions. An answer to any one of them would be nice.

1. Where in the source code can I see what happens when you win the
game? Apparently I am not very good at diving through code written in
C or Fortran.

2. Does anyone know what is different between version 3.1 and 3.2B?

3. Below are the treasures I collected (rot13'ed to avoid spoilers).
If anyone can detect any omissions, please let me know.

1. N wnqr svthevar.
2. N uhtr qvnzbaq.
3. N ont bs pbvaf.
4. N cyngvahz one.
5. N crney arpxynpr.
6. N ehol.
7. N pelfgny gevqrag.
8. N tbyq pbssva.
9. N ohearq bhg vibel gbepu.
10. N fnccuver oenpryrg.
11. N snapl ivbyva.
12. N tenvy.
13. N gehax jvgu wrjryf.
14. N punyvpr.
15. N cnvagvat.
16. N cbg bs tbyq.
17. N fgnghr.
18. N ynetr rzrenyq.
19. N cevpryrff mbexzvq.
20. N pebja.
21. N fgnzc.
22. N juvgr pelfgny fcurer.
23. N gva bs fcvprf.
24. N fgnpx bs mbexzvq ovyyf.
25. N wrjry-rapehfgrq rtt.
26. N ornhgvshy oenff onhoyr.
27. N pybpxjbex pnanel.
28. N tbyq pneq.
29. N Qba Jbbqf fgnzc.
30. N oyhr pelfgny fcurer.
31. N erq pelfgny fcurer.

Thanks,

Greg

d.ki...@btinternet.com

Apr 10, 2007, 5:20:46 PM4/10/07
> 1. Where in the source code can I see what happens when you win the
> game? Apparently I am not very good at diving through code written in
> C or Fortran.

The final sequence is in rooms.f - look for the comment "Nirvana and
end
of game".

However that doesn't tell you much, as the text this prints out comes
from the dtext.dat database, which isn't easily readable. You could
compile a hacked version of the code that just triggered the final
routine - as I recall it prints a few screens of text, though I don't
remember the contents.

> 2. Does anyone know what is different between version 3.1 and 3.2B?

There's a list of changes in the file dungeon.doc in
games/source/dungeon-3.2A.tar.Z in the IF Archive, which implies that
most of the changes are just bug fixes.

David

Greg Boettcher

Apr 11, 2007, 2:30:55 PM4/11/07
On Apr 10, 4:20 pm, d.kin...@btinternet.com wrote:
> The final sequence is in rooms.f - look for the comment "Nirvana and
> end
> of game".
>
> However that doesn't tell you much, as the text this prints out comes
> from the dtext.dat database, which isn't easily readable.
>
> [...]

> There's a list of changes in the file dungeon.doc in
> games/source/dungeon-3.2A.tar.Z in the IF Archive, which implies that
> most of the changes are just bug fixes.

Thanks, David. If it comes to recompiling a new version of the game,
then -- well, I guess I won't bother. Maybe I'll try re-playing the
game, although I am not too enthused about the prospect, and perhaps
it isn't that important after all.

Greg

Mark Tilford

Apr 12, 2007, 8:17:01 AM4/12/07

ISTR that you can skip to the endgame from any point by typing "incant
word jugissah" or something similar; playing through the game just tells
you about that phrase.

Greg Boettcher

Apr 14, 2007, 12:10:04 PM4/14/07
On Apr 10, 4:03 pm, "Greg Boettcher" <WRITETOgre...@gregboettcher.com>
wrote:

> I wanted to see what happens at the end of the original mainframe
> Zork, a.k.a. Dungeon. [...]

> So anyway, I decided to play the game using a walkthrough. I only
> found one walkthrough for the game, and it was for version 3.1.
> Unfortunately, I could not find a 3.1 executable of the game anywhere.
> So I played the WinGlk version of Andrew Plotkin's C translation,
> version 3.2B, and hoped for the best.
>
> Well, it didn't work. Apparently the endgame is not triggered until
> you have all 616 points, and I'm sitting here with 611 points.

Well, I tried playing the game again, and this time I won the game.
Apparently I had made a mistake before and missed one of the
treasures.

So, in case it helps anyone to know this, the walkthrough for version
3.1 does work for version 3.2B of the game. Basically, anyway. There
were some minor discrepancies, but nothing that prevented me from
winning with all the points.

Also, in case it helps anyone to know this, there are 32 treasures in
verions 3.2B of the game. I mention this because, to my surprise, I
did not find this information anywhere on the Internet. If I had, I
probably wouldn't have needed to start this thread. So, as a public
service announcement that probably won't actually help anybody, here
is a ROT13'ed list of all the treasures in Dungeon/Zork:

1. N wnqr svthevar.
2. N uhtr qvnzbaq.
3. N ont bs pbvaf.
4. N cyngvahz one.
5. N crney arpxynpr.
6. N ehol.
7. N pelfgny gevqrag.
8. N tbyq pbssva.
9. N ohearq bhg vibel gbepu.
10. N fnccuver oenpryrg.
11. N snapl ivbyva.
12. N tenvy.
13. N gehax jvgu wrjryf.
14. N punyvpr.
15. N cnvagvat.
16. N cbg bs tbyq.
17. N fgnghr.
18. N ynetr rzrenyq.
19. N cevpryrff mbexzvq.
20. N pebja.
21. N fgnzc.
22. N juvgr pelfgny fcurer.
23. N gva bs fcvprf.
24. N fgnpx bs mbexzvq ovyyf.

25. N cbegenvg bs W. Cvrecbag Syngurnq.
26. N wrjry-rapehfgrq rtt.
27. N ornhgvshy oenff onhoyr.
28. N pybpxjbex pnanel.
29. N tbyq pneq.
30. N Qba Jbbqf fgnzc.
31. N oyhr pelfgny fcurer.
32. N erq pelfgny fcurer.

Thanks to David Kinder and Mark Tilford for their help.

Greg