[ANN] Snap - new IF language!

Dan Shiovitz

Apr 1, 2004, 5:03:55 AM4/1/04
I am pleased to announce that I've completed work on a powerful new
language for IF design! Rather than bore you all with a list of
features, I'll just include my implementation of Cloak of Darkness so
you can get a feel for the language:

Pretty inituitive, eh? Anyway, for more information, I've put up a
page with a FAQ: http://www.drizzle.com/~dans/if/snap/index.html

And remember, Snap makes IF a snap!

--
Dan Shiovitz :: d...@cs.wisc.edu :: http://www.drizzle.com/~dans
"He settled down to dictate a letter to the Consolidated Nailfile and

DI Gunther Schmidl

Apr 1, 2004, 12:36:51 PM4/1/04
Dan Shiovitz wrote:
> I am pleased to announce that I've completed work on a powerful new
> language for IF design! Rather than bore you all with a list of
> features, I'll just include my implementation of Cloak of Darkness so
> you can get a feel for the language:

As you can clearly see at this link (removed because I don't want someone
else ripping it off), Mr. Shiovitz has ripped off my new IF language. In
fact, the sample cited below (omitted because I don't want someone else
ripping it off) is exactly the same, except my name has been
searched-and-replaced with Mr. Shiovitz'.

My lawyers will contact you, Mr. Shiovitz, and hunt you down like the dog
you are.

-- SGO

Fang

Apr 1, 2004, 1:14:31 PM4/1/04
> And remember, Snap makes IF a snap!

Great! I am considering using Snap to code my first ifcomp entry...

Mark J. Tilford

Apr 1, 2004, 2:01:43 PM4/1/04
On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:03:55 +0000 (UTC), Dan Shiovitz <d...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
> I am pleased to announce that I've completed work on a powerful new
> language for IF design! Rather than bore you all with a list of
> features, I'll just include my implementation of Cloak of Darkness so
> you can get a feel for the language:

> Pretty inituitive, eh? Anyway, for more information, I've put up a
> page with a FAQ: http://www.drizzle.com/~dans/if/snap/index.html
>
> And remember, Snap makes IF a snap!

This is incredible! I'd been working on my competition game for years; it
took only 15 minutes to get it working fully, and the source code is only 15
characters long! (Though 9 of those characters were used to implement the
rope, and it took 2 more for the yodeling puzzle.)

--
------------------------
Mark Jeffrey Tilford

Adam Thornton

Apr 1, 2004, 2:03:29 PM4/1/04
In article <c4gpeb$kud$1...@drizzle.com>, Dan Shiovitz <d...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
>And remember, Snap makes IF a snap!

Why should I use Snap rather than RAIF-Pool? Just the concision?

Adam

Michael Chapman Martin

Apr 1, 2004, 2:33:04 PM4/1/04
In rec.arts.int-fiction Adam Thornton <ad...@fsf.net> wrote:
> Why should I use Snap rather than RAIF-Pool? Just the concision?

Brevity is the soul of wit, why not of IF too?

--MichaeL

Adam Thornton

Apr 1, 2004, 2:20:40 PM4/1/04
In article <c4hqpf$799$1...@news.Stanford.EDU>,

Maybe. Running snap with itself as input is an illuminating
experience. So is running snap with "itself" as input, although that's
less illuminating.

Adam

Søren J. Løvborg

Apr 1, 2004, 6:56:23 PM4/1/04
> I am pleased to announce that I've completed work on a powerful new
> language for IF design!

Some players will claim that the parser is bad or that it needs pronoun
support, and some authors will be asking for real-time input, countdowns
or colour cycling, or that the GUI needs more icons and progress bars, but
personally I find such features to be nothing but a burden, distracting from
the underlying literary experience, whether you're playing or writing a
game.

And what marvelous games you can author in this language!

Finally, I'm happy to see that you've chosen not to make the language
case-sensitive. I am already in the process of converting my current
projects to this new, superior development system.

--
Søren J. Løvborg
k...@it.dk

J. J. Guest

Apr 2, 2004, 6:42:36 AM4/2/04
d...@cs.wisc.edu (Dan Shiovitz) wrote in message news:<c4gpeb$kud$1...@drizzle.com>...

> I am pleased to announce that I've completed work on a powerful new
> language for IF design! Rather than bore you all with a list of
> features, I'll just include my implementation of Cloak of Darkness so
> you can get a feel for the language:

> Pretty inituitive, eh? Anyway, for more information, I've put up a
> page with a FAQ: http://www.drizzle.com/~dans/if/snap/index.html
>
> And remember, Snap makes IF a snap!

Brilliant! I have consigned all my other IF writing systems to the
recycle bin. From now on Snap's the one for me!

Eric Forgeot

Apr 2, 2004, 11:43:56 AM4/2/04
I can't believe it, it's very very short.
And will it include graphics and sounds as well ?

Maybe for next year I will include this in my project "gns" (gasp's
not snap). it will also include a debuger (even if with only one
letter such a code is easy to maintain...)

David Thornley

Apr 2, 2004, 1:22:44 PM4/2/04
In article <c4gpeb$kud$1...@drizzle.com>, Dan Shiovitz <d...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
>I am pleased to announce that I've completed work on a powerful new
>language for IF design! Rather than bore you all with a list of
>features, I'll just include my implementation of Cloak of Darkness so
>you can get a feel for the language:

>Pretty inituitive, eh? Anyway, for more information, I've put up a
>page with a FAQ: http://www.drizzle.com/~dans/if/snap/index.html

Including software to help write Snap programs. Within ten minutes
of accessing the site, I had written a Snap game. I don't think
I had one of the puzzles implemented well, but certainly if I had
spent another ten minutes I could have done better.

Anyway, I just have to share the source code for this:

da...@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.

Cirk R. Bejnar

Apr 3, 2004, 9:11:08 PM4/3/04
ad...@fsf.net (Adam Thornton) wrote in message news:<c4hp21$285$1...@news.fsf.net>...

Does RAIF-Pool have Hq9+ support? I think that that is the best
feature of Snap myself. Certainly that's why I am planning to write
my next game in it.

Cirk R. Bejnar

Adam Thornton

Apr 5, 2004, 10:50:22 PM4/5/04
In article <dd75c795.04040...@posting.google.com>,

Cirk R. Bejnar <eluch...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>ad...@fsf.net (Adam Thornton) wrote in message
>> In article <c4gpeb$kud$1...@drizzle.com>, Dan Shiovitz <d...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
>> >And remember, Snap makes IF a snap!
>> Why should I use Snap rather than RAIF-Pool? Just the concision?
>Does RAIF-Pool have Hq9+ support? I think that that is the best
>feature of Snap myself. Certainly that's why I am planning to write
>my next game in it.

RAIF-Pool either supports HQ9+, or will make you realize you didn't want
HQ9+ support after all, depending on its mood[0].

Adam

[0] Which is usually subjunctive contrafactual.

Bennett Standeven

Apr 6, 2004, 1:24:28 AM4/6/04
ad...@fsf.net (Adam Thornton) wrote in message news:<c4hp21$285$1...@news.fsf.net>...

Well, I can't figure out how to implement " My First Adventure" in RAIF-Pool.
Every time I try, it prints the error message: "This game isn't worth the
effort of compiling." Is this just a bug?