"To Hoover" vs. "To Vacuum"

D. Spencer Hines

Sep 17, 2006, 6:41:25 PM9/17/06
> Everyone I know (southern England) says "to hoover".

Hilarious!

Brits using an Ancient American Tradename -- perhaps the blokes and
blokettes say "Kleenex" too.

Educated Americans prefer to be More Enlightened and Sophisticated -- not
slaves and slavettes to tradenames.

>Genericized "Hoover" is a Britishism. Americans find it rather quaint.

Not only "quaint" but Hilarious!

Another Sterling Example of Beneficent American Cultural Imperialism and
Good, Old Yankee Know-How civilizing those lesser breeds without the law in
Europe, and elsewhere throughout the World.

DSH

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Deus Vult
----------------------------

James Murray Spangler

In 1906, James Murray Spangler, a janitor in Canton, Ohio, in the United
States, invented an electric vacuum cleaner from a fan, a box, and a
pillowcase. In addition to suction, Spangler's design incorporated a
rotating brush to loosen debris.

Hoover

Spangler patented his rotating-brush design in 1908, and eventually sold the
idea to his cousin's "Hoover Harness and Leather Goods Factory". In the
United States, Hoover remains one of the leading manufacturers of household
goods, including cleaners; and Hoover became very wealthy from the
invention.

In Britain Hoover has become so associated with vacuum cleaners as to become
a genericized trademark. The word "hoover" (without initial capitalization)
often is used as a generic term for "vacuum cleaner". Hoover is often used
as a verb, as well, as in "I've just hoovered the carpet".

Hoover is also notable for an extremely unusual vacuum cleaner, the Hoover
Constellation, which is canister type but lacks wheels. Instead, the vacuum
cleaner floats on its exhaust, operating as a hovercraft. Introduced in
1952, they are quite collectable today, and are easily identified by the
spherical shape of the cannister. They tended to be loud, had relatively
poor cleaning power, and could not float over carpets. But they remain a
very interesting machine; restored, they work well in homes of nostalgia
buffs with lots of hardwood floors. Disposable paper bags remain available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_cleaner

Hmmmmmm...

Pogue Gans floats on his exhaust too -- remarkable phenomenon.

"Renia" <re...@DELETEotenet.gr> wrote in message

> Bert wrote:
>
>> "Kaos" <theka...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>John W. Kennedy wrote:
>>
>> market leaders!

>>>I remember my Grandmother using the term hoover rather then vacuum and
>>>she never lived outside of Virginia to the best of my knowledge.
>>

>> Yet here in my part of Britain, we say vacuum, not "hoover". :-)
>
> Everyone I know (southern England) says "to hoover".

Devlin Tay

Sep 17, 2006, 7:03:19 PM9/17/06
Before you sneer at the Brits, need I remind you of "some" people's rather
curious tendency to say "xerox" in place of "photocopy"? Oops ... I just
fed a troll. Sorry, people!

Devlin
Adelaide, Australia

Renia

Sep 17, 2006, 8:11:40 PM9/17/06
Devlin Tay wrote:

Yup, and how many of you like to spend time in your Jacuzzi?

Tony Cooper

Sep 17, 2006, 8:12:00 PM9/17/06
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:33:19 +0930, "Devlin Tay"
<prax...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Before you sneer at the Brits, need I remind you of "some" people's rather
>curious tendency to say "xerox" in place of "photocopy"? Oops ... I just
>fed a troll. Sorry, people!

Americans don't sneer at a brand name being appropriated. There are
many examples of this in our vocabulary. What we find amusing is the
use of "hoover" because we don't use "to Hoover" to mean "to vacuum".
There is a difference between being amused by what we don't expect and
sneering at something.

We are equally amused at "lift", "first floor" (meaning second floor),
and "brolly". If the British are not amused by words used differently
by Americans than they are used to, then we sneer at their lack of a
sense of humor.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

Peter Skelton

Sep 17, 2006, 8:15:21 PM9/17/06

It was DSH, he was sneering. Equating a DSH attitude to Americans
general attitudes is somewhat more fragile than equating Jack the
Ripper's to the British.

Peter Skelton

Tony Cooper

Sep 17, 2006, 10:13:30 PM9/17/06
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:15:21 -0400, Peter Skelton <skel...@cogeco.ca>
wrote:

Devlin Tay is DSH? I didn't know that. I avoid replying to DSH, and
leave that to Bob Lieblich. That's his windmill.

dwilcox

Sep 18, 2006, 5:36:58 AM9/18/06
For those in Black and White certain products have given their name to
the whole range of similar products:

EG Hoover, Thermos, Walkman, Instamatic,

Dw

--
Search for over 400,000 Black Sheep, Police, Railways, Mining, Wills and
WWI & II at: http://www.lightage.demon.co.uk

Message has been deleted

Vince

Sep 18, 2006, 7:41:52 AM9/18/06
Dave wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 02:13:30 GMT, Tony Cooper
> <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:15:21 -0400, Peter Skelton
>> <skel...@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> As Brits are amused at Americans 'first floor"; meaning the ground.
> floor. I believe this is why the confusion arose over which year
> actually marked the millenium. Americans seem unaware of the concept
> of zero. By the way, what does 'brolly' mean in American?

"Brolly" doesn't mean anything in "American"
nether for that matter neither do "knock on", "berk" r "bog standard"
"craic" etc.

It's amazing what I had to learn to lecture in Glasgow

Vince

Greg Hennessy

Sep 18, 2006, 7:38:14 AM9/18/06
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:09:28 GMT, Dave <da...@knowhere.com> wrote:

>As Brits are amused at Americans 'first floor"; meaning the ground.
>floor.

And let's not talk about the term fanny.
--
Wühle täglich in der Scheisse,
und niemand weiss, wie ich heisse.

Renia

Sep 18, 2006, 9:37:51 AM9/18/06
Greg Hennessy wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:09:28 GMT, Dave <da...@knowhere.com> wrote:
>

>>As Brits are amused at Americans 'first floor"; meaning the ground.
>>floor.
>

> And let's not talk about the term fanny.

See my answer in another thread on this one. *blush*

Renia

Sep 18, 2006, 9:39:13 AM9/18/06
dwilcox wrote:

> For those in Black and White certain products have given their name to
> the whole range of similar products:
>
> EG Hoover, Thermos, Walkman, Instamatic,

Indeed.

And Jacuzzi, Jeep, Velux,

not forgetting Wellingtons, Cardigan, Mackintosh, Sandwich

Stephen Calder

Sep 18, 2006, 9:40:32 AM9/18/06
Renia wrote:

I'd love to but which thread in which of the eight groups this is posted to?

--
Stephen
Lennox Head, Australia

dwilcox

Sep 18, 2006, 9:59:22 AM9/18/06
There is a name for these words but unfortunately....

Renia

Sep 18, 2006, 10:49:56 AM9/18/06

er . . .

this thread . . .

Re: Gans Is So Ignorant He Even Fumbles Standard English Idioms

Eve McLaughlin

Sep 18, 2006, 12:48:32 PM9/18/06

>We are equally amused at "lift",

lifts lift - and one syllable is preferable to4.

> If the British are not amused by words used differently
>by Americans than they are used to,

One thing which sounds really comic is the idea of a man walking down
the street in vest and pants. Over here, he would be arrested (unless
involved in a road race) or advised to go home and finish dressing.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

W. D. Allen

Sep 18, 2006, 1:49:53 PM9/18/06
"...slaves and slavettes...."

Sexist, sexist!!!!

end

"D. Spencer Hines" <pogue...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

It has removed 115 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Earle Jones

Sep 18, 2006, 2:12:17 PM9/18/06
In article <zakPg.50$B16....@eagle.america.net>,

"D. Spencer Hines" <pogue...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Everyone I know (southern England) says "to hoover".

*
What does the "D" stand for that would cause you to prefer "Spencer"?

E. Douglas Jones
*

Renia

Sep 18, 2006, 2:28:57 PM9/18/06
Earle Jones wrote:

Dave

Julian Richards

Sep 18, 2006, 3:05:42 PM9/18/06
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:48:32 +0100, Eve McLaughlin
<e...@varneys.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>We are equally amused at "lift",
>
>lifts lift - and one syllable is preferable to4.
>
>> If the British are not amused by words used differently
>>by Americans than they are used to,
>
>One thing which sounds really comic is the idea of a man walking down
>the street in vest and pants. Over here, he would be arrested (unless
>involved in a road race) or advised to go home and finish dressing.

Best not to mention jumping dykes and eating faggots.
--

Julian Richards

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

THIS MESSAGE WAS POSTED FROM SOC.HISTORY.MEDIEVAL

William Hamblen

Sep 18, 2006, 11:45:04 PM9/18/06
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:09:28 GMT, Dave <da...@knowhere.com> wrote:

>As Brits are amused at Americans 'first floor"; meaning the ground.

>floor. I believe this is why the confusion arose over which year
>actually marked the millenium. Americans seem unaware of the concept
>of zero.

Being the virtuous citizens of a free republic rather than the servile
subjects of a monarch Americans live on the ground floor of their
houses rather than staying upstairs, and call the first floor they set
foot to upon entering the house the first floor.

>By the way, what does 'brolly' mean in American?

Not a blessed thing.

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

Tony Cooper

Sep 18, 2006, 11:47:54 PM9/18/06

No, but it can make us laugh.

Message has been deleted

Eve McLaughlin

Sep 19, 2006, 12:06:14 PM9/19/06
The D?
Dopey? Dozy? Dimwit? Dead between the ears?

boseley

Sep 19, 2006, 12:29:38 PM9/19/06

"Eve McLaughlin" <e...@varneys.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

D for Doylam, perfect, I first heard it in Leeds, could be of hebrew origin,

Bob

Renia

Sep 19, 2006, 4:15:47 PM9/19/06
dwilcox wrote:

> For those in Black and White certain products have given their name to
> the whole range of similar products:
>
> EG Hoover, Thermos, Walkman, Instamatic,

Thermos is just the Greek word for warm or heated.

Grey Satterfield

Sep 19, 2006, 5:23:24 PM9/19/06
On 9/19/06 3:15 PM, in article eepj5j$e3k$1...@mouse.otenet.gr, "Renia"
<re...@DELETEotenet.gr> wrote:

> Thermos is just the Greek word for warm or heated.Actuall

Actually, when it is spelled with a capitol "T," "Thermos" is a trademark:

Ther·mos tdmk
a trademark for an insulated or vacuum container used to hold a liquid and
maintain it at a constant temperature

Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

Grey Satterfield

Paul C

Sep 19, 2006, 5:33:59 PM9/19/06
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 23:41:25 +0100, "D. Spencer Hines"
<pogue...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Everyone I know (southern England) says "to hoover".
>

>Hilarious!
>
>Brits using an Ancient American Tradename -- perhaps the blokes and
>blokettes say "Kleenex" too.
>
>Educated Americans prefer to be More Enlightened and Sophisticated -- not
>slaves and slavettes to tradenames.
>
>>Genericized "Hoover" is a Britishism. Americans find it rather quaint.
>
>Not only "quaint" but Hilarious!

Personally I dyson (well Mrs C does!)

Far superior to outmoded US technology.

Lilith

Sep 19, 2006, 5:40:15 PM9/19/06
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:45:04 -0500, William Hamblen
<wrha...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Not a blessed thing.

Ah!! Then Satan is a brolly because he's a cursed thing???

--
Lilith

Frank ess

Sep 19, 2006, 6:06:05 PM9/19/06

Idle conversation (after the manner of aue):
Questioneer: What is the most impressive technical accomplishment of
Man?
First observer: Mmm, Space Flight: breaking the bonds of gravity
and...
Second observer: Errr, Any Kind of Flight: braking the bonds ...
Third observer: Hmph, that's easy: the Thermos® bottle.
First and Second observers and Questioneer (chorus): Wha'? What's so
technologically impressive about a Thermos® bottle?
Third observer: Hey, you put something hot in it and it stays hot; put
something cold in it and it stays cold!
F&S & Q: Huh? So?
Third observer: Yeah, but: how does it _know_?

--
Frank ess

Grey Satterfield

Sep 19, 2006, 8:16:43 PM9/19/06
On 9/19/06 4:33 PM, in article 1go0h2p9kspn2a8u8...@4ax.com,
"Paul C" <pa...@thersgb.net> wrote:

My mother used "Hoover" both as a noun to describe her carpet sweeper and as
a verb to describe the act of sweeping. Usually the sweeper really was a
Hoover.

Grey Satterfield

Grey Satterfield

Sep 19, 2006, 8:19:58 PM9/19/06
On 9/19/06 5:06 PM, in article
bfGdne38Nd9U9I3Y...@giganews.com, "Frank ess"
<fr...@fshe2fs.com> wrote:

It's a miracle! :)

Actually the three most important inventions of the Industrial Age are (1)
sliced bread, (2) canned beer, and (3) the Post-It note.

Grey Satterfield

Devlin Tay

Sep 19, 2006, 8:41:41 PM9/19/06

"Paul C" <pa...@thersgb.net> wrote in message

Dysons are so damn expensive though ... being the one who vacuums the house
most of the time, I'd love to have one. But I just can't bring myself to
spend $800 to $900 (Aussie quids) to buy something that does nothing but
suck up dust!

Devlin

D. Spencer Hines

Sep 19, 2006, 10:18:58 PM9/19/06
But then your mother was hardly representative of the General American
Educated & Sophisticated Populace -- The Cognoscenti. <g>

DSH

"Grey Satterfield" <gsatte...@cox.net> wrote in message

Oleg Lego

Sep 20, 2006, 1:03:29 AM9/20/06
The Frank ess entity posted thusly:

Darn things don't work. I tried one the other day to take a snack for
work... a cuppa coffee and some ice cream.

Bryn

Sep 20, 2006, 3:53:11 AM9/20/06
In message <gd0Qg.13574$b6.1...@nasal.pacific.net.au>, Devlin Tay
<prax...@hotmail.com> writes

My PC sucks up most of our household dust...

Koff!

--
Bryn

Sick on a journey
over parched fields
dreams wander on.

Bashõ

Brian Sharrock

Sep 20, 2006, 4:37:08 AM9/20/06

"Devlin Tay" <prax...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hmmm .... £220 in 2004 from a large electrical-retailer 'shed' as a
'distress purchase'
in Southern England. [SWMBO and I didn't search for the cheapest price just
the soonest price!]
It's the DC07 HEPA version which cleans the air as it sucks up the dust.

Considering that famously the device are manufactured in Malaysia -
arguably closer to Oz than the UK - I'm surprised at the price you've
quoted,

--

Brian

--

Brian

Devlin Tay

Sep 20, 2006, 5:40:08 AM9/20/06

"Brian Sharrock" <b.sha...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

I'm constantly surprised at how expensive things are in Australia compared
to, say, the USA or even Singapore. Considering the Aussie Dollar has been
so strong over the last few years, it is doubling annoying that everything
is still at least 20% to 30% more expensive than, say, the USA or even
Singapore. And they don't even need to ship it halfway around the world!
Everything is manufactured just a couple of thousand kilometres up north in
Asia!

Devlin
Adelaide, Australia

Lynley

Sep 20, 2006, 12:56:32 PM9/20/06

Try living in SA and wanting electronic goods or hobby stuff like
comics. If it's not the stupid exchange rate its retailers gouging us
with huge markups.

Lynley

Grey Satterfield

Sep 20, 2006, 3:05:37 PM9/20/06
On 9/20/06 11:56 AM, in article oes2h2hedjtq5v7kq...@4ax.com,
"Lynley" <lynley...@gmail.com> wrote:

More basically its the lack of competition. I don't know about SA
specifically, but I do know that those who compete in markets charge what
their market will bear. Unfortunately, in markets where there is too little
competition, the market will bear a lot. In fact, those who decry Wal-Mart
should think about that -- a lot.

Grey Satterfield

D. Spencer Hines

Sep 20, 2006, 3:37:44 PM9/20/06
Bingo!

As I just recently said in this same thread.

Vide infra pro sapientia.

What's sauce for the South Africans is also sauce for the Australians.

> More basically its [sic] the lack of competition. I don't know about SA

> specifically, but I do know that those who compete in markets charge what
> their market will bear. Unfortunately, in markets where there is too
> little competition, the market will bear a lot. In fact, those who decry
> Wal-Mart should think about that -- a lot.
>
> Grey Satterfield

"D. Spencer Hines" <pogue...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...

> You need more Free Enterprise.
>
> COMPETITION will lead to a Lowering of Prices and more CHOICES for
> Aussies.
>
> DSH

Warchild

Sep 20, 2006, 6:26:04 PM9/20/06
In article <C136FB31.32DB1%gsatte...@cox.net>,
Grey Satterfield <gsatte...@cox.net> wrote:

And i thought to 'Hoover' was when a law enforcement officer dressed up
in women's clothes and gave his boyfriend a blow-job. Boy is my face
red.

Devlin Tay

Sep 20, 2006, 6:34:22 PM9/20/06

"Lynley" <lynley...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Try living in SA and wanting electronic goods or hobby stuff like
> comics. If it's not the stupid exchange rate its retailers gouging us
> with huge markups.

Err ... I do live in SA. Unless you meant South Africa.

Devlin
Adelaide, South Australia

Grey Satterfield

Sep 20, 2006, 10:16:46 PM9/20/06
On 9/20/06 5:26 PM, in article
none-8C1E6A.1...@news.west.earthlink.net, "Warchild"
<no...@none.com> wrote:

> In article <C136FB31.32DB1%gsatte...@cox.net>,
> Grey Satterfield <gsatte...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/20/06 11:56 AM, in article oes2h2hedjtq5v7kq...@4ax.com,
>> "Lynley" <lynley...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Try living in SA and wanting electronic goods or hobby stuff like
>>> comics. If it's not the stupid exchange rate its retailers gouging us
>>> with huge markups.
>>

>> More basically its the lack of competition. I don't know about SA
>> specifically, but I do know that those who compete in markets charge what
>> their market will bear. Unfortunately, in markets where there is too little
>> competition, the market will bear a lot. In fact, those who decry Wal-Mart
>> should think about that -- a lot.
>>

> And i thought to 'Hoover' was when a law enforcement officer dressed up
> in women's clothes and gave his boyfriend a blow-job. Boy is my face
> red.

I don't know what a lack of retail competition in South Africa and J. Edgar
Hoover's sexuality could have in common but that's just me. Besides, what
the hell, this is Usenet. :)

Grey Satterfield

Brian Sharrock

Sep 21, 2006, 4:52:18 AM9/21/06

"Grey Satterfield" <gsatte...@cox.net> wrote in message
Whilst pondering on the maxim: There's is a non-linear relationship between
cost and price'!

--

Brian

Lynley

Sep 22, 2006, 6:36:21 AM9/22/06

South Africa, not South Oz. But you figured that out already.

Lynley

ray o'hara

Oct 2, 2006, 12:26:50 AM10/2/06

> dwilcox wrote:
>
> > For those in Black and White certain products have given their name to
> > the whole range of similar products:
> >
> > EG Hoover, Thermos, Walkman, Instamatic,
>
> Indeed.
>
> And Jacuzzi, Jeep, Velux,
>
> not forgetting Wellingtons, Cardigan, Mackintosh, Sandwich

Wellington, Cardigan and Sandwich are not brand names, they are objects
named for their" inventors," a Duke ,and two Earls.

William Black

Oct 2, 2006, 4:40:35 AM10/2/06

"ray o'hara" <r...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Wellington, Cardigan and Sandwich are not brand names, they are objects
> named for their" inventors," a Duke ,and two Earls.

I don't think the Duke of Wellington invented the rubber boot, I doubt that
the Earl of Sandwich was the first man to put a piece of meat between two
bits of bread and I've never seen a picture of Lord Cardigan in a cardigan.
He was a notable snob and a dandy and a deeply unpleasant man.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Linz

Oct 2, 2006, 6:15:14 AM10/2/06
William Black wrote:
> "ray o'hara" <r...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> Wellington, Cardigan and Sandwich are not brand names, they are
>> objects named for their" inventors," a Duke ,and two Earls.
>
> I don't think the Duke of Wellington invented the rubber boot, I
> doubt that the Earl of Sandwich was the first man to put a piece of
> meat between two bits of bread and I've never seen a picture of Lord
> Cardigan in a cardigan. He was a notable snob and a dandy and a
> deeply unpleasant man.

But he spoke so well of you.

William Black

Oct 2, 2006, 6:33:19 AM10/2/06

"Linz" <sp...@lindsayendell.org.uk> wrote in message

I would doubt that 'Old Haw Haw' ever spoke well of anyone from my religion
or class.

He was the sort of truly vile Victorian English aristocrat that Hines would
describe as 'a real Brit'.

a.spencer3

Oct 2, 2006, 6:33:35 AM10/2/06

"William Black" <willia...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Linz" <sp...@lindsayendell.org.uk> wrote in message
> > William Black wrote:
> > > "ray o'hara" <r...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > > I don't think the Duke of Wellington invented the rubber boot, I
> > > doubt that the Earl of Sandwich was the first man to put a piece of
> > > meat between two bits of bread and I've never seen a picture of Lord
> > > Cardigan in a cardigan. He was a notable snob and a dandy and a
> > > deeply unpleasant man.
> >
> > But he spoke so well of you.
>
> I would doubt that 'Old Haw Haw' ever spoke well of anyone from my
religion
> or class.
>
> He was the sort of truly vile Victorian English aristocrat that Hines
would
> describe as 'a real Brit'.

LOL!

Surreyman

Peacenik

Oct 2, 2006, 11:59:24 AM10/2/06
"ray o'hara" <r...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Wellington, Cardigan and Sandwich are not brand names, they are objects
> named for their" inventors," a Duke ,and two Earls.

Aaaarrgghhh, now the song Duke of Earl is stuck in my head!

Oleg Lego

Oct 2, 2006, 1:36:30 PM10/2/06
The Peacenik entity posted thusly:

Me too, but the words insist on being:

Duke, Duke, Duke, Dukhobor, Duke, Duke.
Dukhobor, Duke, Duke, Dukhobor, Duke, Duke.

Comes from travelling through Creston and Grand Forks in British
Columbia in my youth (long before the song appeared).