[Announce] Adventurer's Consumer Guide

Jan Thorsby

May 14, 2007, 1:56:17 PM5/14/07
Adventurer's Consumer Game has been uploaded to the archive. This is a large
puzzle game by Ųyvind Thorsby. It's it in the unprocessed directory but will
presumably soon me moved to games.glulx. The file name is ACG.zip.

David Welbourn

May 15, 2007, 4:43:10 AM5/15/07
On May 14, 1:56 pm, "Jan Thorsby" <no_spam@spam> wrote:
> Adventurer's Consumer Game has been uploaded to the archive. This is a large
> puzzle game by Øyvind Thorsby. It's it in the unprocessed directory but will

> presumably soon me moved to games.glulx. The file name is ACG.zip.

A tricky game, but I enjoyed it very much and finished it, yay me.
Cool toys to play with, fun companion, wacky humour. Not too crazy
about 'examine' being disabled, or the naming conventions for the
locations, though. Also, the squeamish in the crowd should be warned
that there is a bit of blood and gore in the game.

I'll start to write up a walkthrough, but I'll delay uploading it to
my site until everyone's had a decent chance to play the game first.

Cassy Palop

May 15, 2007, 7:07:17 AM5/15/07
> A tricky game, but I enjoyed it very much and finished it, yay me.

Could you provide the URL to it, please? I always get lost on the IF
archive.

Thanks in advance,
Cassy

Jan Thorsby

May 15, 2007, 7:28:33 AM5/15/07
> Could you provide the URL to it, please? I always get lost on the IF
> archive.

http://ifarchive.org/if-archive/unprocessed/ACG.zip

Emily Short

May 15, 2007, 12:50:41 PM5/15/07
On May 15, 3:43 am, David Welbourn <dsw...@look.ca> wrote:
> On May 14, 1:56 pm, "Jan Thorsby" <no_spam@spam> wrote:
>
> > Adventurer's Consumer Game has been uploaded to the archive. This is a large
> > puzzle game by Øyvind Thorsby. It's it in the unprocessed directory but will
> > presumably soon me moved to games.glulx. The file name is ACG.zip.
>
> A tricky game, but I enjoyed it very much and finished it, yay me.
> Cool toys to play with, fun companion, wacky humour. Not too crazy
> about 'examine' being disabled, or the naming conventions for the
> locations, though.

Yeah -- I haven't gotten past the very first puzzle, since I just
played for a few minutes last night, but it's surprising how hard it
is for me to stop examining things, even when I know the verb isn't
implemented. I type it as a reflex, I guess. I had an easier time with
this in Attack of the Yeti Robot Zombies, I think because there were
fewer items to start with; but here it's obvious from the inventory
that your stuff *does* matter, so it's disconcerting not being able to
look at it.

At least, that's my initial impression. If I play more, I suppose I
may change my mind. But it's taking a bit of mental adjustment to
play.

Nathan Ladd

May 23, 2007, 6:55:36 PM5/23/07
On May 15, 4:43 am, David Welbourn <dsw...@look.ca> wrote:

> A tricky game, but I enjoyed it very much and finished it, yay me.
> Cool toys to play with, fun companion, wacky humour. Not too crazy
> about 'examine' being disabled, or the naming conventions for the
> locations, though. Also, the squeamish in the crowd should be warned
> that there is a bit of blood and gore in the game.
>
> I'll start to write up a walkthrough, but I'll delay uploading it to
> my site until everyone's had a decent chance to play the game first.

Oh, please don't delay too long! Some of these puzzles are driving me
nuts! I'm about two thirds of the way through, and fear I've reached
an impasse -- afraid I did something earlier to make the game
unwinnable. Then again, I've thought that before, then figured
something out. :)

Definitely a tricky game. I must say, when I finally figure out a
puzzle, the solution seems obvious and logical. Very well done so far.

Nathan Ladd

May 23, 2007, 9:06:47 PM5/23/07
On May 23, 6:55 pm, Nathan Ladd <nat...@laddonline.com> wrote:

> Oh, please don't delay too long! Some of these puzzles are driving me
> nuts!

Well, nevermind me. I managed to get through it. Once I figured out
each of the puzzles, it turned out that they were nice and logical.
The one that had me stumped the most was teleporting both the goblin
and myself.

Very nice, fun game. :)

Emily Short

May 24, 2007, 3:40:33 PM5/24/07
On May 23, 8:06 pm, Nathan Ladd <nat...@laddonline.com> wrote:
> On May 23, 6:55 pm, Nathan Ladd <nat...@laddonline.com> wrote:
>

> > Oh, please don't delay too long! Some of these puzzles are driving me
> > nuts!
>
> Well, nevermind me. I managed to get through it. Once I figured out
> each of the puzzles, it turned out that they were nice and logical.

I had this experience too -- several times I was about to post to rgif
to beg for a hint, and in the course of writing the post I thought of
one more thing I hadn't tried, and...

David Welbourn

May 24, 2007, 7:25:48 PM5/24/07

Google Groups ate my first reply. I'll try again.

Now that you've finished, you might still want to see my walkthrough
at http://webhome.idirect.com/~dswxyz/sol/acg.html , now with an
Amusing Things To Try section at the end.

To everyone else, please give Oyvind's game a decent try before
looking at my walkthrough. The author put a lot of work into this
game, and I don't think you'd want to spoil yourselves too soon.
Thanks.

-- David Welbourn