Announcement: GESCH Comp Website Now Open

Al

Nov 14, 2006, 8:30:15 AM11/14/06
The Great Emily Short Cheese Heist Comp is now open
and will officially start acceptinfg intents to starting November
15,2006.

For rules and other details go to:
http://telyni.echoz.com/geschcomp07/

Once again thanks to Reiko Yukawa for the webspace
and getting the page up and running.

Basil Chillingworth

Nov 14, 2006, 8:55:56 AM11/14/06
Al wrote:

> The Great Emily Short Cheese Heist Comp is now open
> and will officially start acceptinfg intents to starting November
> 15,2006.
>
> For rules and other details go to:
> http://telyni.echoz.com/geschcomp07/

The one in the middle looks like Västerbottenost.

Aric Maddux

Nov 14, 2006, 9:12:18 AM11/14/06
This seems very very odd. Why is the inclusion of Emily as a character
even necessary? I think a generic cheese comp with due props to her
page for inspiration would be more succesful and in better taste (no
pun intended), and could also be repeated in future years with greater
ease.

Jacek Pudlo

Nov 14, 2006, 9:22:17 AM11/14/06
"Aric Maddux"

> This seems very very odd. Why is the inclusion of Emily as a character
> even necessary?

Have you ever seen her in the flesh, so to speak? From what I hear, the
"Great Em" really looks like she's eaten all the cheese in the world.

From the contest page:

"Premise of the Game

The authorities have been on the lookout for Emily Short who is known to
have cornered the world cheese market and has bought up the world's entire
supply of cheese. As a result, cheese prices have gone thru the roof and the
average cheese lover can no longer afford the price of ANY cheese whatsoever
since manufacturing has come to a standstill. She has been spotted in
various locations throughout the world,but her last known whereabouts were
verified to be in the state of Wisconsin, AKA the Dairy State. Your job is
to capture Emily, bring her to justice, find the hoarded cheese and
repatriate it to the masses.

When play opens, you are in a seedy motel room in downtown Milwaukee, hot on
the trail of Emily. It is your responsibility to take it from there."

> I think a generic cheese comp with due props to her
> page for inspiration would be more succesful and in better taste

Yes, but how dull.

Cumberland Games & Diversions

Nov 14, 2006, 9:37:56 AM11/14/06
> The authorities have been on the lookout for Emily Short who is known to
> have cornered the world cheese market and has bought up the world's entire
> supply of cheese.

So Emily Short is ... Cheesefinger?

Two weeks of poking into IF, and already I'm terrified beyond the
capacity for rational thought.*

--------
*That's marshmallows, I know. See how bad I am at this?

Robb Sherwin

Nov 14, 2006, 5:00:01 PM11/14/06

This is the creepiest thing in the history of interactive fiction. I
don't know how you psychos are going to top this one. Who are the
judges, by chance -- John Wayne Gacy, Zdzislaw Beksinski and the
video from "The Ring"?

madd...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2006, 5:51:19 PM11/14/06

Robb Sherwin wrote:

> This is the creepiest thing in the history of interactive fiction. I
> don't know how you psychos are going to top this one. Who are the
> judges, by chance -- John Wayne Gacy, Zdzislaw Beksinski and the
> video from "The Ring"?

You've accidentally triggered some great ads on google groups:

Related Pages
Robert K. Ressler
Served in the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit and has written several ...
www.robertkressler.com

ECRI Environmental Criminology Research Inc.
www.geographicprofiling.com

Writings of Theodore J. Kaczynski
The full-text of Kaczynski's doctoral dissertation, and summaries of
www.rpi.edu

Jacek Pudlo

Nov 14, 2006, 6:07:34 PM11/14/06
"Robb Sherwin"

> Al wrote:
>> The Great Emily Short Cheese Heist Comp is now open
>> and will officially start acceptinfg intents to starting November
>> 15,2006.
>>
>> For rules and other details go to:
>> http://telyni.echoz.com/geschcomp07/

That "still life" with the red wine, grapes and the cheese slicer is fucking
precious. This must be Short's idea of "sophistication."

>> Once again thanks to Reiko Yukawa for the webspace
>> and getting the page up and running.
>
> This is the creepiest thing in the history of interactive fiction. I
> don't know how you psychos are going to top this one. Who are the
> judges, by chance -- John Wayne Gacy, Zdzislaw Beksinski and the
> video from "The Ring"?

When you eat a lot of cheese, you run the risk of winding up chronically
constipated.

Jim Aikin

Nov 14, 2006, 8:23:12 PM11/14/06

> The Great Emily Short Cheese Heist Comp is now open
> and will officially start acceptinfg intents to starting November
> 15,2006.

Darn. Now I have to rejoin NetFlix so I can memorize the Monty Python Cheese
Shop sketch, so I can make repeated oblique references to it in the course
of the game. Or maybe just quote it verbatim. ("Cleese" rhymes with
"cheese," doesn't it?)

--JA

Jan Thorsby

Nov 14, 2006, 8:41:35 PM11/14/06
> Darn. Now I have to rejoin NetFlix so I can memorize the Monty Python
> Cheese

Here you go:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pDat9zdw7Gs

Reiko

Nov 14, 2006, 9:21:36 PM11/14/06

Robb Sherwin wrote:
> This is the creepiest thing in the history of interactive fiction. I
> don't know how you psychos are going to top this one. Who are the
> judges, by chance -- John Wayne Gacy, Zdzislaw Beksinski and the
> video from "The Ring"?

Should I have not agreed to host this thing then?
~Reiko

Daphne Brinkerhoff

Nov 14, 2006, 9:24:06 PM11/14/06

Or you could play David Welbourn's game. It's kinda fun.

http://wurb.com/if/game/1966

--
Daphne

Cumberland Games & Diversions

Nov 15, 2006, 6:28:26 AM11/15/06
> ("Cleese" rhymes with
> "cheese," doesn't it?)

And John Cleese is John Cheese by heritage (though not, as I understand
it, by birth, since his father had the name changed before John was
born ... I think ... something like that, anyway).

Basil Chillingworth

Nov 15, 2006, 6:46:22 AM11/15/06
Robb Sherwin wrote:

> This is the creepiest thing in the history of interactive fiction.

I take it you're not entering the contest, then. It's a shame really,
because If you were, your entry could be aptly named _Chick Digs
Cheese_.

Poster

Nov 15, 2006, 7:45:32 AM11/15/06

I would have to agree. This is creepy.

-- Poster

www.intaligo.com Building, INFORM, Seasons (upcoming!)

Jacek Pudlo

Nov 15, 2006, 8:07:41 AM11/15/06
"Poster"

> I would have to agree. This is creepy.

I don't think it's more creepy than this.

http://groups.google.se/group/rec.games.int-fiction/browse_frm/thread/fc1cc22ec5ef0a1e/98b5e2e2fa621121?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=sv#98b5e2e2fa621121

Probably less, since no one is implying that Short is a sexual predator.

Emily Short on my sexual mores:

"Searching on his IP address in google.groups turns up only the following
post to alt.sex.pre-teens:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=200108282301.SAA08239%40pond.zip... "

I have never posted nor subscribed to alt.sex.pre-teens. Nor have I received
an apology for the ugly innuendo. I think that says a lot about what kind of
person she is.

JDC

Nov 15, 2006, 10:54:19 AM11/15/06

A slight reworking of "1981" seems like it might be a more appropriate
entry.

-JDC

Bob

Nov 15, 2006, 11:31:18 AM11/15/06

Basil Chillingworth wrote:

> I take it you're not entering the contest, then.

Rule Nr. 6 very obviously excludes Robb :"No violence, sex, or
vulgarities allowed (this is a family game)"

Bob

Mike Snyder

Nov 15, 2006, 11:36:55 AM11/15/06
"Bob" <soen...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Rule #1 would be a problem as well: Only Inform 7 and TADS 3 games allowed.

--- Mike.

Basil Chillingworth

Nov 15, 2006, 11:45:49 AM11/15/06
JDC wrote:

Kill George W. Bush to gain a cheese-loving woman's attention?

Seems like overkill to me. If you have an obesity fetish, why not
simply hang out at your local McDonalds?

Emily Short

Nov 15, 2006, 12:01:53 PM11/15/06
Jacek Pudlo wrote:
> Emily Short on my sexual mores:
>
> "Searching on his IP address in google.groups turns up only the following
> post to alt.sex.pre-teens:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=200108282301.SAA08239%40pond.zip... "

Okay: I apologize. What I said here was factually true, and at the time
it seemed important to present every piece of evidence at my disposal,
both to give people the full picture of your newsgroup behavior and to
let others point out any holes in my reasoning. All the same, it was
not necessary to mention this discovery; I was angry about the
destruction I saw you causing in the community, and that affected my
judgment. It would have been wiser and more decent to stick to the
evidence directly pertaining to your sockpuppetry, and avoid the more
uncertain hints of your real life identity or behavior in other
contexts -- those being unproven, irrelevant, and potentially damaging.

This has bothered me since, but it seemed counterproductive to bring it
up again. But you've done so yourself, and since the offense was
public, perhaps the apology should be as well.

I have also said elsewhere that I misjudged you at the time: you have
proven yourself to be interested in and capable of making substantive
contributions to IF.

I can't apologize for the remaining content of the post, I'm afraid --
I thought then, and still think now, that it is wrong to set people
against one another for your own amusement, and I know no way of
stopping that other than to expose it.

Magnus Olsson

Nov 15, 2006, 1:24:34 PM11/15/06
In article <1163609149.4...@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,

Basil Chillingworth <basilchil...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Kill George W. Bush to gain a cheese-loving woman's attention?
>
>Seems like overkill to me. If you have an obesity fetish, why not
>simply hang out at your local McDonalds?

But surely, Basil (or should I say Jacek), you can love cheese without
being obese?

--
Magnus Olsson (m...@df.lth.se)
PGP Public Key available at http://www.df.lth.se/~mol

dwh...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2006, 1:51:55 PM11/15/06
I despair of these unmoderated newsgroups sometimes. A potentially
interesting thread has, yet again, been derailed by the tiresome Pudlo
and his attention-seeking ways. I'm sure there's a very good reason why
people don't just ignore him but I can't for the life of me figure out
what it might be.

James Mitchelhill

Nov 15, 2006, 2:26:17 PM11/15/06

Rule 37: It's much more effective to add to the signal than complain about
the noise.

--
James Mitchelhill
ja...@disorderfeed.net

Stephen Gilbert

Nov 15, 2006, 3:52:49 PM11/15/06
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:26:17 +0000, James Mitchelhill wrote:

> On 15 Nov 2006 10:51:55 -0800, dwh...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I despair of these unmoderated newsgroups sometimes. A potentially
>> interesting thread has, yet again, been derailed by the tiresome Pudlo
>> and his attention-seeking ways. I'm sure there's a very good reason why
>> people don't just ignore him but I can't for the life of me figure out
>> what it might be.
>
> Rule 37: It's much more effective to add to the signal than complain about
> the noise.

Rule 38: And if that doesn't work, try a kill file.

Reiko

Nov 15, 2006, 7:47:39 PM11/15/06
What are the first 36 rules?

John W. Kennedy

Nov 15, 2006, 10:47:01 PM11/15/06

His grandfather, in 1915, according to IMDB.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

JDC

Nov 15, 2006, 11:46:21 PM11/15/06

Reiko wrote:
> What are the first 36 rules?

No one? John Cleese has already been mentioned in this thread, and
still, no one? Oh, very well:

Rule 6: There is no rule 6!

-JDC

Jacek Pudlo

Nov 16, 2006, 9:27:29 AM11/16/06
"Emily Short"

> Okay: I apologize.

And I half-heartedly accept your half-hearted apology.

> What I said here was factually true,

But you see, that's exactly what makes it an innuendo, as opposed to an
outright lie. Lies are easily refutable -- innuendos are not. That's what
makes them so ugly. I suppose I could defend myself by pointing out that two
people can use the same IP address, but why should I dignify an innuendo?
The implied accusation is so frivolous it reveals more about the accuser
than the accused.

> and at the time
> it seemed important to present every piece of evidence at my disposal,
> both to give people the full picture of your newsgroup behavior and to
> let others point out any holes in my reasoning. All the same, it was
> not necessary to mention this discovery; I was angry about the
> destruction I saw you causing in the community, and that affected my
> judgment.

If I recall correctly, your "observations" were posted shortly after an
unkind (but inoffensive) skit at _Galatea_.

> It would have been wiser and more decent to stick to the
> evidence directly pertaining to your sockpuppetry, and avoid the more
> uncertain hints of your real life identity

So what you're saying is that, despite your apology, I'm still not off the
hook? It's still conceivable that I'm a kiddie porn monger, though the
"evidence" consists of "uncertain hints"? Are you familiar with the phrase
"innocent until proven guilty"? You say I'm vindictive, then you proceed to
post my real-life name, phone number and accuse me of possessing and
distributing child pornography. Even by Usenet standards, your behaviour
represents a low watermark. Compared to my pranks, what you did was evil.

> This has bothered me since,

Has it also bothered you that your "observations" were so botched-up that
you managed to implicate a number of innocent bystanders, including a
certain Johan Hagberg, who, for all I know, could be a real-life person? Is
he also a kiddie porn monger?

> but it seemed counterproductive to bring it
> up again. But you've done so yourself, and since the offense was
> public, perhaps the apology should be as well.

"Perhaps"? Your apology is less than half-hearted; it is lukewarm. I suppose
I should thank you for your magnanimity?

> I can't apologize for the remaining content of the post,

Speaking of which, I can see how distributing child pornography is a Bad
Thing, and I can (sort of) see how sucking at C++ and not being able to
write fluent German is not a Good Thing, but of what possible relevance is
it if I'm a Jew?

"His interests include [...] Jewish culture."

Adam Thornton

Nov 16, 2006, 7:34:04 PM11/16/06
In article <1163541601.1...@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,

Robb Sherwin <robb.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Al wrote:
>> The Great Emily Short Cheese Heist Comp is now open
>> and will officially start acceptinfg intents to starting November
>> 15,2006.
>This is the creepiest thing in the history of interactive fiction. I
>don't know how you psychos are going to top this one. Who are the
>judges, by chance -- John Wayne Gacy, Zdzislaw Beksinski and the
>video from "The Ring"?

Is that a challenge, Mister Sherwin? I can think of plenty of creepy
things. Not all of them involve cheese.

Adam