Grupos de Google ya no admite publicaciones ni suscripciones nuevas de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue visible.

Non-Comp Review Project

2 vistas
Ir al primer mensaje no leído

Peter Mattsson

no leída,
8 oct 2006, 5:58:22 p. m.8/10/06
para
>put head over parapet
Nervously, you haul yourself up and wave to the heaving masses.

>make announcement
Adopting your best declamatory voice, you make the following
announcement.

"I, Peter Mattsson, being of unsound mind and body, do hereby take up
the torch of the Non-Comp Review Project from one Greg Boettcher, and do
solemnly promise to continue same in the spirit that it was originally
conceiv'd."

That's right, folks: we want your reviews, and we want them *NOW*! (Or
whenever you're ready; frankly, any time before the Last Trump would be
good...)

Greg started the project to give more exposure to games that were
released outside a major Comp, since these don't often receive the
attention they deserve. Carrying on his proud tradition, the current
goal is to review every game released in 2006 that hasn't featured in a
major Comp. Basically, you know those games you're all busily playing
and reviewing right now? Anything but those.

I wouldn't have raised this until after the Comp, but for one thing: the
upcoming SPAG deadline on October 11th. If you're so much as thinking
about planning to review a non-Comp game before then, here's a little
extra incentive: submit your review to us as well, and you'll get double
the exposure for no extra work! Good, eh?

Just to whet your appetite, here are some games that both Jimmy and I
are keen to see reviews of:

Provenance
When in Rome, parts 1 and/or 2
Bronze
The Reliques of Tolti-Aph
Escape from the Crazy Place
An Escape to Remember
IntroComp 2006 entries (any, some or all)
McDream mini-comp entries (any, some, or all)
Attack of the Yeti Robot Zombies

I'll post/bother you again when the Comp dust has settled a bit, but
until then I would be interested in hearing from anyone who wants to get
involved: if you want to review a particular game, get your name down
now! Like Greg, I'll review the ones no-one else wants; please write in
and cut that list down a bit.

Whatever the reason[1], just remove the magic word from my address to
get in touch.

Cheers,

Peter

[1] Not all reasons are created equal: purveyors of spam will be rounded
up and shot, as usual.

David Doty

no leída,
8 oct 2006, 10:56:05 p. m.8/10/06
para
Peter Mattsson <peter.m...@lineone.net> wrote in

> "I, Peter Mattsson, being of unsound mind and body, do hereby take up
> the torch of the Non-Comp Review Project from one Greg Boettcher, and do
> solemnly promise to continue same in the spirit that it was originally
> conceiv'd."

I only pop round these parts every year or two to see what new things have
appeared (just a couple of tiny changes to Inform, I see), so I haven't
heard of this. Is it a wesite? Can you post the addy? Or a mailing list
journal like SPAG? If so, can I join? Or are a Batman villain, trying to
drive me mad with curiousity?

Dave

Greg Boettcher

no leída,
9 oct 2006, 1:02:29 a. m.9/10/06
para
David Doty wrote:
> I only pop round these parts every year or two to see what new things have
> appeared (just a couple of tiny changes to Inform, I see), so I haven't
> heard of this. Is it a wesite? Can you post the addy? Or a mailing list
> journal like SPAG? If so, can I join? Or are a Batman villain, trying to
> drive me mad with curiousity?

I don't know if Peter has a web site for NCRP 2006 yet, but in case it
helps, here are the links for the project for the previous two years:

http://www.gregboettcher.com/games/reviews/noncomp2004/
http://www.gregboettcher.com/games/reviews/noncomp2005/

Greg

Jimmy Maher

no leída,
9 oct 2006, 6:22:46 a. m.9/10/06
para
Peter Mattsson wrote:

> Greg started the project to give more exposure to games that were
> released outside a major Comp, since these don't often receive the
> attention they deserve. Carrying on his proud tradition, the current
> goal is to review every game released in 2006 that hasn't featured in a
> major Comp. Basically, you know those games you're all busily playing
> and reviewing right now? Anything but those.
>
> I wouldn't have raised this until after the Comp, but for one thing: the
> upcoming SPAG deadline on October 11th. If you're so much as thinking
> about planning to review a non-Comp game before then, here's a little
> extra incentive: submit your review to us as well, and you'll get double
> the exposure for no extra work! Good, eh?

Hear! Hear! This is a very worthwhile project, so please think about
contributing... and send your reviews to SPAG as well, of course. As it
stands, the next issue of SPAG is going to be very emaciated, so if you
can spare the time to write up a review in the next few days, you would
be doing BOTH Peter and me (and not incidentally the whole community) a
wonderful service. If you need an extra day or two, write me and let's
talk about it. Yes, I know that everyone is busy playing the games from
a very strong Competition, but still...

And even if you can't manage it in the next few days, please think about
helping Peter and I out in the time between the end of the Comp and the
end of the year.

--
Jimmy Maher
Editor, SPAG Magazine -- http://www.sparkynet.com/spag

quic...@quickfur.ath.cx

no leída,
9 oct 2006, 8:49:19 p. m.9/10/06
para
On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 05:22:46AM -0500, Jimmy Maher wrote:
> Peter Mattsson wrote:
[...]

> Hear! Hear! This is a very worthwhile project, so please think about
> contributing... and send your reviews to SPAG as well, of course. As
> it stands, the next issue of SPAG is going to be very emaciated, so if
> you can spare the time to write up a review in the next few days, you
> would be doing BOTH Peter and me (and not incidentally the whole
> community) a wonderful service. If you need an extra day or two,
> write me and let's talk about it. Yes, I know that everyone is busy
> playing the games from a very strong Competition, but still...
[...]

Will Usenet reviews be included in SPAG as well? I've gone through a
good number of Comp games (I'm judging), and have written somewhat
lengthy judging summaries for each game beyond the single numerical
score, so I wonder if it's better suited to SPAG or if posting to Usenet
will suffice. (Usenet posting, of course, only after the judging
deadline.) Of course, they aren't quite SPAG-length reviews, but I do
have notes that can be readily fleshed out for at least the 15+ games
I've judged so far.

QF

--
Food and laptops don't mix.

Jimmy Maher

no leída,
9 oct 2006, 10:50:50 p. m.9/10/06
para
quic...@quickfur.ath.cx wrote:

> Will Usenet reviews be included in SPAG as well? I've gone through a
> good number of Comp games (I'm judging), and have written somewhat
> lengthy judging summaries for each game beyond the single numerical
> score, so I wonder if it's better suited to SPAG or if posting to Usenet
> will suffice. (Usenet posting, of course, only after the judging
> deadline.) Of course, they aren't quite SPAG-length reviews, but I do
> have notes that can be readily fleshed out for at least the 15+ games
> I've judged so far.

I will be looking for reviews of the Comp games, but not for this issue,
obviously. The January issue is the traditional Comp issue, and I will
try to include reviews of as many Comp games as I can. That said, the
best thing might be if you went ahead and continued playing the games as
you are and writing your capsule reviews for eventual posting to Usenet,
then went back after the Comp to write more substantial reviews for SPAG
of whatever number made a real impression on you. (Not necessarily the
best games... an interesting failure is oftem more satisfying to review
than a very traditional game that is more satisfying to actually play.)

RootShell

no leída,
10 oct 2006, 11:03:56 a. m.10/10/06
para
Hi

I would like to wish Peter Mattsson best of luck for continuing the
great work Greg Boettcher did in the promotion of Non Comp IF Games!

While two other review projects were mentioned during this post, I feel
like i should mention that there's also the IFReviews.org project where
you can share your reviews of IF games with the rest of the IF
community, and there are no deadlines, exclusiveness or restrictions!

You can add your reviews of IF games at the ifreviews.org website
whenever you feel like it, since:

a) They will be kept hidden if they are currently participating in a
competition and only (automatically) shown after the respectives
deadlines.

or

b) They will be available online straight away as soon as you post
them, if they are not taking part in any ongoing competition.

It's very easy, you simply have to register, login, add your reviews
online and rate the games.

That's it. Simple and easy.

In a matter of minutes all your reviews will be kept for posterity and
available (when the right time comes) to all the IFCommunity.

It's important to also mention that IFReviews.org also encourages you
to send your reviews to other reviews projects, such as the already
well known SPAG, NCRP and similar projects webwide.

Sharing is the keyword here...

Kind regards,
RootShell

0 mensajes nuevos