SpeedIF competitions

1 view

David Cornelson

Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
"George Pappas" <gip...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:397CC733...@hotmail.com...
> Hi
> Does anyone know where I might find the premises for the following
> SpeedIF competitions:
> SpeedIF 1, 2, 4, 5, 5.5, 6, 8, 9 and SpeedApocalypse.
> I am trying to update the mini-comps section for Baf's guide and I'd
> like to include a bit more information about the competitions
> themselves.

I'll try...

For those that don't know, I started the first SpeedIF back in October of
'98 because I had just finished coding Cattus Atrox and was going through
what I call, 'Coding Withdrawal'. So I asked if anyone would be interested
in a speed if contest. We started at one hour and eventually realized that
two hours was about the right amount of time. The games are usually setup
with a madlib questionaire session, run mostly by me, but there have been a
few variations. The segmented SpeedIF worked well, if you ask me. the most
important part though is that you have a good funny 'feel' for the evening.
It lends to better games. We have almost always done these from the ifMUD on
weekends at around 8pm to 10pm.

Here is what I found:

SpeedIF #3
! Write a comedy in the form of a medieval morality play. The protagonist is
! attempting to transport something from one location to another, and his or
! her efforts are stymied by one or several of the following: Sloth, Pride,
! Avarice, Wrath, Lust, Gluttony, Envy, Discretion, Death, and the Devil.
! They don't necessarily have to appear in person. Bonus points for using
! any of the following: pez, a green yo-yo, a lawn ornament, an iguana,
! corn, a herd of buffalo, a robot duck.

SpeedIF #5
! Write a spy thriller in which the spy is attempting to stop a courier from
! delivering top-secret plans to his contact. The secret plans are hidden in
! a pair of hand-eeze gloves, or alternatively in the latest self-help book
! "Pee On This!" The meeting is to take place during the dead of winter in
! one of three places: a baseball field, a phone booth, on Who Wants To Be
! A Millionaire. Extra points for using: snow angels, truckers, a secret
! decoder ring, a chalupa, hot chocolate.

SpeedIF #6
! Write a game that consists of the following: One of the locations is an
iceburg.
! Mr. Potato Head is an important subject, a magical Top Hat is found
somewhere and
! you also need to involve a roller coaster. Extra points for including a
reporter,
! slinky, barbie, bedknob, sunglasses, a beach, or hiking in the woods.
Finally, you
! need to include, somehow, the following poem:
!
! Sandra's seen a leprechaun,
! Eddie touched a troll,
! Laurie danced with witches once,
! Charlie found some goblins' gold.
! Donald heard a mermaid sing,
! Susy spied an elf,
! But all the magic I have known
! I've had to make myself. - Shel Silverstein

SpeedIF #8
! SpeedIF8, entitled, 'A Freak Accident leaves Seattle Pantsless', outside
of a
! shop (type of which is your choosing) named 'End Of Days' serving
something on
! the menu named 'Blitzkreig', 'ViReX', and 'Macrolicious'. At another
location,
! 23rd and Lincoln, an experiment is taking place that you need to help
complete.
! This experiment involves corn, an electical kite, and a missing sock.
Bonus
! points for ZeroG Sex, and _any_ references to BWP (Blair Witch Project).

SpeedIF #9
! This SpeedIF (#9) is going to require something that I usually leave up to
! people. You can story it up all you want but I want one puzzle to dominate
! the game. Yes, that's right, a puzzle. Logical or not, that's the number
one
! requirement. Beyond that, the puzzle game should try to include a
stairwell,
! a zippo lighter, coal-burning screwdriver, the monster behind you, an
! anonymous letter, fruitcake, Muffy the Poodle, an autographed picture of
! Ray Borque, and being buried alive.

SpeedIF #11
Segmented games. Each player was given a separate task. To move a dead body
from one place to another. The first game started in the Attic and the last
ended in the basement. There were games for; Attic, Upper Hallway, Stairway,
Living Room, Lower Hallway, and Basement.

SpeedIF #12
SpeedIF 12, write this game: There is a special event sheduled soon to honor
Chuck Schmendiman. It is your (the player's) job to prepare the special
surprise for him. You will have plastic and/or plywood to work with for
creating the surprise. You will somehow have to overcome a sponge in order
to succeed. Bonus points for including fruit pies, Mars, or anything
exploding.

That's all I can find. #2 was a halloween game, #1 I don't remember at all.
#7 is missing and #10 I think someone else ran.

Jarb

George Pappas

J. Robinson Wheeler

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
David Cornelson wrote:

> For those that don't know, I started the first SpeedIF back in October of

> '98 because I had just finished coding Cattus Atrox and was going through
> what I call, 'Coding Withdrawal'. So I asked if anyone would be interested
> in a speed if contest. We started at one hour and eventually realized that
> two hours was about the right amount of time.

I saved a buffer of that evening. See below in this post.

I was just thinking about Speed IFs this evening, because I've been
racing against a self-imposed deadline to finish a large TADS work-
in-progress. I've found that my SpeedIF training allows me to put
together a sequence of rooms, and objects in those rooms, very quickly
and with a fairly low error rate. I suppose that sounds somewhat silly,
but it has saved a substantial about of time being able to do that.

> That's all I can find. #2 was a halloween game, #1 I don't remember at all.
> #7 is missing and #10 I think someone else ran.

Hm, George Pappas didn't seem to ask for #7. I wonder if he already
has that information? That would be good, because I don't seem to be
able to find it in my sundry files.

Here's what I've been able to come up with (in reverse order):

Speed IF 7: (12-03-99) [Deduced by playing the games]

LOCATION: A sinking oil tanker.

MISCELLANEOUS: Include these objects: A (signed) photo of the
Loch Ness Monster, a copy of the New York Times, a pom-pom, a
bottle of Dr. Pepper, a lump of clay.

Speed IF 2: (10-29-98)

BACKGROUND: You're in New York searching for Neil DeMause's
apartment even though you've never been there. Someone put a
Jack O'Lantern on your doorstep with a half-burned note inside.
The note says something about your significant other that
scares you to death. It's foggy.

MISCELLANEOUS: You can include the ghost of christmas past, a
severed hand, greed, and the idea of being late into the story.

TIME: The game begins at: 8:45pm CST. Go!!

Speed IF 1: (10-02-98) [transcript has been edited]

Jarb says, "I'll set it up....one room only, two NPC's, location is
your choice, let's call this speedIF-Dialogue. Let me think of a
topic."
Jarb says, "wait....someone give me an emotion"
Misericordius says (to Jarb), "Apathy"
Jarb asks, "anyone else?"
jrw says, "jealousy."
Jarb says, "bingo"
jrw asks, "So we have one room and MUST have two NPCs?"
Jarb says, "one NPC must be jealous of the other or the PC or both"
jrw says, "OK."
Jarb says, "now give me a profession"
Misericordius says (to Jarb), "Mortician"
Jarb exclaims, "excellent!"
Jarb says, "one NPC must be a mortician or work in a funeral home"
Jarb says, "or the PC"
Jarb says, "give me a mood"
Misericordius says (to Jarb), "Festive."
Jarb asks, "anyone else?"
jrw says, "A mood? Oh, uh.."
jrw says, "Solemn."
jrw says, "Frenzied."
jrw says, "Busy."
aoeu says, "Christmas-like."
Jarb says, "I got one....schitzophrenia.....one NPC or the PC must
exhibit this"
jrw asks, "In what sense of the word?"
Jarb says, "drastic mood/personality shifts"
jrw says, "That's a peculiar condition to have to code. Hm."
Jarb says, "give me a disability"
aoeu says (to jrw), "Just add 'has schitzophrenia' to the end of
your object; it's a standard inform attribute."
jrw hits Jarb with a lead pipe.
Jarb laughs
Jarb says, "okay headache....an NPC or the PC must have a headache"
Jarb says, "summary"
jrw takes furious notes.
Jarb says, "one room, two npc's, jealousy, mortician/funeral home
worker, schitzo, headache. Starting NOW! 7:41 on my clock. Go! 15
minutes."
ddyte asks, "15 minutes???"
Jarb says, "yes"
ddyte says, "Gah."
jrw mutters "Impossible! Impossible!" over and over.
Jarb says, "new rule....I'll give everyone an extra 15
minutes....15 is too short a time, but 30 should be okay....8:11 is
the deadline"

[later]

Jarb says, "I've just realized something....no matter
what.....speedIF will require at least an hour or more....probably
two hours...to do anything playable"
Jarb says (to spatch), "we started before you...i was gonna let you
join late"
Spatch says, "don't worry. i didn't do anything."
Jarb says, "neither did anyone else"
Jarb says, "dinner time"
Jarb goes away for awhile

[still later]

Misericordius asks (to Jarb), "TIME???"
jrw says, "He gave up."
aoeu asks (to miser), "Did you write something?"
jrw says, "He extended it to 30 minutes, then an hour, then said
"oh it needs 2 hours" and then went to eat something."
Misericordius says, "Yes"
Misericordius says, "And it's done."
jrw exclaims, "You wiN!"

[Note: Misericordius (Christopher Huang, author of MUSE) was the
only one to complete Speed IF 1.]

--
J. Robinson Wheeler http://thekroneexperiment.com
whe...@jump.net

Dan Schmidt

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
"David Cornelson" <dcorn...@placet.com> writes:

| "George Pappas" <gip...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > Hi

| > Does anyone know where I might find the premises for the following
| > SpeedIF competitions:
| > SpeedIF 1, 2, 4, 5, 5.5, 6, 8, 9 and SpeedApocalypse.
| > I am trying to update the mini-comps section for Baf's guide and I'd
| > like to include a bit more information about the competitions
| > themselves.
|

| [descriptions of #3, #5, #6, #8, #9, #11, #12]

SpeedIF #4 (paraphrased)

Write a game taking place on top of the Eiffel Tower with three rooms
including a bathroom, an onion, and Nostradamus.

--
Dan Schmidt | http://www.dfan.org
Honest Bob CD now available! | http://www.dfan.org/honestbob/cd.html

J. Robinson Wheeler

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
Dan Schmidt wrote:

> SpeedIF #4 (paraphrased)
>
> Write a game taking place on top of the Eiffel Tower with three rooms
> including a bathroom, an onion, and Nostradamus.

Here's the official description from the SpeedIF4 object that Jarb
dropped in the ifMUD lounge that night:

Create a game in 1 hour with 3 rooms, a bathroom, on top of the Eiffel
Tower, with an onion, and Notradamus. GO!

Also, there was a joke suggestion that the game include the phrase
'Betcha can't eat just one!'

Mark Musante - Sun Microsystems

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
J. Robinson Wheeler (whe...@jump.net) wrote:
> Speed IF 7: (12-03-99) [Deduced by playing the games]
>
> LOCATION: A sinking oil tanker.
>
> MISCELLANEOUS: Include these objects: A (signed) photo of the
> Loch Ness Monster, a copy of the New York Times, a pom-pom, a
> bottle of Dr. Pepper, a lump of clay.

The offical SIF7 page is at this URL:

http://www.ministryofpeace.com/if/SpeedIF7/

It also includes the whole premise.

Gunther Schmidl has been trying to collect all SIF information.
His stuff is at this URL:

http://www.plover.net/~gschmidl/speedif/

Hope that helps.

-=- Mark -=-

Gunther Schmidl

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
> Gunther Schmidl has been trying to collect all SIF information.
> His stuff is at this URL:
>
> http://www.plover.net/~gschmidl/speedif/

In fact, the very same page has just been updated with SpeedIFs through 13,
and a history page has been added (comprised mostly of the posts in this
thread and objects on ifMUD). Premises for 5.5 and SpeedApocalypse are still
missing - anyone have them?

http://www.plover.net/~gschmidl/speedif/history.html

--
+-----------------+---------------+------------------------------+
| Gunther Schmidl | ICQ: 22447430 | IF: http://gschmidl.cjb.net/ |

J. Robinson Wheeler

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
Gunther Schmidl wrote:

> Premises for 5.5 and SpeedApocalypse are still missing - anyone
> have them?

Speed IF 5.5: (11-26-99)

Jota exclaims, "Your game must have something to do with 'rock',
and a color. Deadline: 2:15 am MUD time (EST). Go!"

SpeedIF history page looks good. I'm glad we're keeping track of this
while there's still the ability to piece it all together.

Iain Merrick

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
J. Robinson Wheeler wrote:

> Gunther Schmidl wrote:
>
> > Premises for 5.5 and SpeedApocalypse are still missing - anyone
> > have them?
>
> Speed IF 5.5: (11-26-99)
>
> Jota exclaims, "Your game must have something to do with 'rock',
> and a color. Deadline: 2:15 am MUD time (EST). Go!"
>
> SpeedIF history page looks good. I'm glad we're keeping track of this
> while there's still the ability to piece it all together.

We could do with a SpeedIF Top 10 list or something, so that people can
play the games which somehow managed to turn out rather good without
having to wade through those which, well, didn't. (Okay, maybe a Top 5.)

I'm thinking of Inky's Chef! game and two or three of Miseri's games,
for a start. And there must be a few more decent ones I've forgotten.

--
Iain Merrick
i...@cs.york.ac.uk

Gunther Schmidl

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
"Iain Merrick" <i...@cs.york.ac.uk> wrote...

> [...] And there must be a few more decent ones I've forgotten.

Like your own SpeedIF 2000 game.

Mark Musante - Sun Microsystems

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
Iain Merrick (i...@cs.york.ac.uk) wrote:
> We could do with a SpeedIF Top 10 list or something, so that people can
> play the games which somehow managed to turn out rather good without
> having to wade through those which, well, didn't. (Okay, maybe a Top 5.)
>
> I'm thinking of Inky's Chef! game and two or three of Miseri's games,
> for a start. And there must be a few more decent ones I've forgotten.

One of LPS's entries was excellent. I think it was called 'A Step to
the Left' or something.

-=- Mark -=-

J. Robinson Wheeler

Aug 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/2/00

I think my Speed 5.5 entry, A Rock and a Hard Place, was pretty good, if I
do say so myself. As long as I'm mentioning it, there's a slightly modified
version of this speedIF elsewhere on the archive, as /games/tads/choice.gam.