ANNOUNCE: New Cat

Poster

Apr 9, 2011, 11:41:42 PM4/9/11
New Cat is a wistful, slice-of-life game told from the eyes of the new
cat in the household, who as yet does not have a name. "I think I will
have a name someday soon, although I do not know how I get a name. Is it
something I have to do? Is there somewhere I have to go? All I know is
that for now, He calls me just one thing: Cat."

Featuring relative directions, built-in hints, and a bathroom.

Grab your copy here: www.intaligo.com/NewCat.zblorb

Coming to the IF archive sometime soon.

--
Poster

www.intaligo.com I6 libraries, doom metal, Building, Zegrothenus, New Cat
sturmdrangif.wordpress.com Game development blog / IF commentary

Tamsyn

Apr 10, 2011, 2:00:19 AM4/10/11

Just had a quick play. I really enjoyed it, though tbh the controls were
a pain, and I could have done without the added immersion. Though that's
just one opinion, and I'm sure others will love it. It must have been a
lot of work to implement - kind of reminds me of that baby game.

I found the text a little difficult to follow at first, but once I got
into my character it was great. Great character exposition in your
descriptions, etc.

There was just one thing that was a little weird. [SPOILER] (see below)

Overall a great game, with fantastic characters, and much fun. Thanks!

When coming down from the table in the kitchen the 'forward' or 'back',
etc commands didn't work. It required me to 'go out' before being able
to start using the commands again). This is not really intuitive. I
would have also found a list of 'special' commands (like bat, climb, etc)
useful. Though I guess the text does hint at the presence of the climb
command when the jump command doesn't work, it was a little too subtle
for me.

Poster

Apr 11, 2011, 11:32:32 PM4/11/11
In article <inrh1j$tif$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
Tamsyn <tamsyn.j...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just had a quick play. I really enjoyed it, though tbh the controls were
> a pain, and I could have done without the added immersion. Though that's
> just one opinion, and I'm sure others will love it. It must have been a
> lot of work to implement - kind of reminds me of that baby game.
>
> I found the text a little difficult to follow at first, but once I got
> into my character it was great. Great character exposition in your
> descriptions, etc.
>
> There was just one thing that was a little weird. [SPOILER] (see below)
>
> Overall a great game, with fantastic characters, and much fun. Thanks!

> When coming down from the table in the kitchen the 'forward' or 'back',
> etc commands didn't work. It required me to 'go out' before being able
> to start using the commands again). This is not really intuitive. I
> would have also found a list of 'special' commands (like bat, climb, etc)
> useful. Though I guess the text does hint at the presence of the climb
> command when the jump command doesn't work, it was a little too subtle
> for me.

Hmm. I'll look into the kitchen problem. I put most of the special
commands in the help (rub, jump to, etc) in the help, but you're right
that they're not front and center. People did have a hard time with
'jump to', so I put that in the ABOUT.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to mail this to myself and take a
look at it in more detail in a few weeks. Right now, unless I got a
flood of bug reports, I'm taking a break from writing/programming IF.

--
Poster

www.intaligo.com I6 libraries, doom metal, Building, Zegro, BTK&D, New Cat

Tamsyn

Apr 12, 2011, 12:10:35 AM4/12/11
On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 23:32:32 -0400, Poster wrote:

> Hmm. I'll look into the kitchen problem. I put most of the special
> commands in the help (rub, jump to, etc) in the help, but you're right
> that they're not front and center. People did have a hard time with
> 'jump to', so I put that in the ABOUT.
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to mail this to myself and take a
> look at it in more detail in a few weeks. Right now, unless I got a
> flood of bug reports, I'm taking a break

Oops - I should have tried ABOUT. I must have been looking in HELP or
something. Sorry. Looks like most of my problems derive from my own
laziness. =) You've certainly earnt a break. I've just begun learning
I7, and just thinking how much coding must have gone into your new
directions makes me wince.

For those thinking about playing this game, sorry if what I said sounds
negative. The game was highly enjoyable, and worth it just to see how
description can build (such an awesome) character. Plus it's short and
fun.

Tiddy Ogg

Apr 12, 2011, 3:06:45 AM4/12/11

As one of the beta testers, I found it a really cute game, but keeping
the text in the perspective of the new cat must be a tremendously
difficult thing. Haven't tried the released version yet, but I wish
it luck. It's certainly worth playing, even if it can be frustrating
at times.

Irfon-Kim Ahmad

Apr 13, 2011, 12:50:40 PM4/13/11
Poster <pos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> New Cat is a wistful, slice-of-life game told from the eyes of the new
> cat in the household, who as yet does not have a name. "I think I will
> have a name someday soon, although I do not know how I get a name. Is it
> something I have to do? Is there somewhere I have to go? All I know is
> that for now, He calls me just one thing: Cat."

I'm not that far into it. It's cute so far. The one thing that I
thought really noteworthy is how completely confusing and problematic
I'm finding having "l" remapped from "look" to "left". I'm constantly
moving to another room when I just wanted to see the room description
again. I thought it would go away after a while, but that doesn't appear
to be hapening. I'm also finding the jumping syntax really hard to
adjust to, but that might come with time.

Irfon-Kim Ahmad

Apr 13, 2011, 1:07:03 PM4/13/11

Also, it seems strange that the game goes out of its way to refer to
things in ways that portray a unique kitten-based point of view, but
then suddenly, usually on failures or error messages but otherwise just
ordinary things, you'll get it being referred to by its proper name.

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

Like, for example, when the ringing sound began and I utterly failed to
find or do anything with regard to it (and in fact mostly ignored it)
and when it ended, it suddeny was identified as the phone ceasing. Or
when there was a "bug" identified in the den, but typing "x bug"
produced the message, "You see nothing special about the airplane
model."

Al

Apr 15, 2011, 9:59:56 PM4/15/11
You've got a bug in the About IF part of the help menu.

Can't see the individual topics.

Happens under Zoom, Spatterlight and Gargoyle all on the Mac.

also on the PC using Gargoyle and Winfrotz

Tamsyn

Apr 16, 2011, 8:15:48 AM4/16/11

Oh, that's why I couldn't see the new verbs. I also get that problem
with the items. ie - I have to say 'get sock' even though I don't know
it's a sock yet. 'Get white' doesn't work.

Poster

Apr 17, 2011, 9:54:46 AM4/17/11
In article <ioc19j$n7h$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
Tamsyn <tamsyn.j...@gmail.com> wrote:

Get white will not work, as white is an adjective, not a noun.

--
Poster

www.intaligo.com I6 libraries, doom metal, Building, Zegro, BTK&D, New Cat

Poster

Apr 17, 2011, 10:03:59 AM4/17/11
In article
<d6d50bcc-8189-4507...@v16g2000vbq.googlegroups.com>,
Al <radi...@evcohs.com> wrote:

The "About Interactive Fiction" menu is broken (Mac/Zoom and
Mac/Gargoyle), but the others are not. I'll put that issue in my queue.

--
Poster

www.intaligo.com I6 libraries, doom metal, Building, Zegro, BTK&D, New Cat

Tamsyn

Apr 18, 2011, 4:16:35 AM4/18/11
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:54:46 -0400, Poster wrote:

> In article <ioc19j$n7h$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
> Tamsyn <tamsyn.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 18:59:56 -0700, Al wrote:
>>
>> > You've got a bug in the About IF part of the help menu.
>> >
>> > Can't see the individual topics.
>> >
>> > Happens under Zoom, Spatterlight and Gargoyle all on the Mac.
>> >
>> > also on the PC using Gargoyle and Winfrotz
>>
>> Oh, that's why I couldn't see the new verbs. I also get that problem
>> with the items. ie - I have to say 'get sock' even though I don't know
>> it's a sock yet. 'Get white' doesn't work.
>
> Get white will not work, as white is an adjective, not a noun.

Get object doesn't work either. Not trying to be harsh, like I said, I
like this game. I tried sending you feedback as an email (got it from
the intaligo site), but I don't think you got it.

Poster

Apr 18, 2011, 9:06:30 PM4/18/11
In article <iogs13$ns5$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
Tamsyn <tamsyn.j...@gmail.com> wrote:

I did get it. It's in the queue. :) I'm taking a break from working on
IF for a while, so replying to emails I'm afraid is pretty low on the
list. I *will*, though, just not for a little while. After 6 months of
development, I'm fried.

I'm emailing this to myself, too.

Poster

Apr 18, 2011, 9:18:05 PM4/18/11
In article <io4k90$kkm$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
Irfon-Kim Ahmad <ir...@ambienautica.com> wrote:

Ok, I got this and the one afterwards added to my queue. Thanks for the
feedback!

--
Poster

www.intaligo.com I6 libraries, doom metal, Building, Zegro, BTK&D, New Cat

Tamsyn

Apr 19, 2011, 10:48:49 AM4/19/11
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:06:30 -0400, Poster wrote:

> I did get it. It's in the queue. :) I'm taking a break from working on
> IF for a while, so replying to emails I'm afraid is pretty low on the
> list. I *will*, though, just not for a little while. After 6 months of
> development, I'm fried.
>
> I'm emailing this to myself, too.

Oh, oops, sorry then. I hope these things don't put people off playing
it. It's really good fun, and the games voice is fab!