Announce: The GESCH MiniComp

Al

Aug 29, 2006, 8:22:45 PM8/29/06
The Great Emily Short Cheese Heist MiniComp is now open for business
contingentupon my getting 2 judges who want to donate their time,and
someone to donate webspace and put up a quick and dirty website that
will only stay up while the comp is in session and for a very short
period afterwords (1-2 weeks maximum). I've contacted Mike Snyder but
have received no reply as of this posting.

The MiniComp will start after Comp '06 is over and the winners
announced and as soon as I can find judges and have someone (if not
Mike) agree to the above or it won't happen. It will last for a period
of no longer than 60 days. Further info (rules/prize/premise of game)
will be posted on the
website if it becomes a reality.

Reiko

Aug 29, 2006, 9:49:51 PM8/29/06

I have webspace for a temporary site. This isn't considered anything
commercial I assume, so it should be fine. Email me if you're
interested.

~Reiko

Raksab

Aug 30, 2006, 5:29:18 AM8/30/06
Woot, cheese!

I look forward to seeing entries. All shall acknowledge the mighty
awesomeness of ... cheese!

... um, ok, yeah.

-- Raksab the turophile

p.s. If we see anything approaching the variety in "Risorgimento
Represso," I will be very impressed.

markm

Aug 30, 2006, 8:05:57 AM8/30/06

Al wrote:

> The MiniComp will start after Comp '06 is over and the winners
> announced and as soon as I can find judges and have someone (if not

I strongly recommend pushing this out by a few months. People tend to
be "comped out" after the competition is over, and you will probably
get more participation if you give some time for people to recover.

Regards,
markm

aph...@altavista.com

Aug 30, 2006, 8:53:12 AM8/30/06
Alright, I'm going to confess something here...
I don't know any of you people , you know, and,
But WTF is up with the cheese? Can someone explain this to me?

Top 5 guesses what cheese means, cause I hell don't know 10.

5. All the IF mudders congregrated in real life and someone ate a whole
block of cheese
and everyone got upset.

4. Cheese is a secret society term that means "IF Orgy! Come get
Muddy."

3. It's a poor author's version of xyzzy.

2. It refers to games that stink really bad? So I guess a cheese game
is a purposefully bad game?

1. Man, I can't even come up with anything funny cause I simply don't
understand, maybe IF authors put cheese in their game like cartoonist
collaborate on occassion? But what does cheese symbolize? Is cheese a
nickname of someone important?

Help me with the cheese please,

A.P. Hill
Clueless

Al

Aug 30, 2006, 9:37:27 AM8/30/06
markm wrote:

> I strongly recommend pushing this out by a few months. People tend to
> be "comped out" after the competition is over, and you will probably
> get more participation if you give some time for people to recover.

That's fine by me. I still don't have 2 willing participants to help
with the judging although I will say that the number of entrants will
be limited. I'll probably start it,(pending judge acquistion) in either
January or February '07.

Al

Aug 30, 2006, 9:58:19 AM8/30/06
aph...@altavista.com wrote:
> Alright, I'm going to confess something here...
> I don't know any of you people , you know, and,
> But WTF is up with the cheese? Can someone explain this to me?

For starters:

http://emshort.home.mindspring.com/cheese.htm

'Nuff said for now.

ColCommunism

Aug 30, 2006, 12:51:14 PM8/30/06
aph...@altavista.com wrote:
> 3. It's a poor author's version of xyzzy.

I think the answer is obvious. It's a simple rotational cipher. X =
C, Y=H, and Z=E. Therefore, we get cheeh.

Well, my brilliant theory still has a few bugs to work out, but I'll
find that connection someday.

Raksab

Aug 30, 2006, 3:56:25 PM8/30/06
Why all the cheese? Well, here's my take on it...

- Emily Short, who is, incidentally, a Big Cheese in the IF
community... apparently has a thing for cheese. You'd have to ask her
why. (I sure wish she'd fix the broken mindspring links though, her
site is interesting but tough to navigate.)

- Cheese is, objectively, really good stuff. It comes in as many
varieties as fine wine, and there's types to suit every taste. There's
an art to making it. Cheese is cool.

- There were those really amusing "ah... the power of cheese"
commercials by the American dairy industry a while back. (Actually,
they may even still be on television, but I haven't seen them because I
don't watch much TV. I wish I knew of a place to download the
commercials, because some of them are quite funny.) Commercials have a
way of molding culture. Whenever I say "ah, the power of cheese!"
among my own friends, they laugh because they all saw the same
commercials.

- Cheese is inherently funny. Have you read Gary Larson's "The Far
Side" comics? Notice how they have an abundance of cows? Cows are
also inherently funny. (Or Larson has made them so, if they weren't
before.) Like cheese. Hard to explain, but that's just the way it is.
Cheese is funny.

- "cheese" is also a slang term for something really campy and bad.
Sometimes, so ridiculously bad that it's good. So-called "cult
classic" movies (such as "Monty Python and the Holy Grail") are
bursting with metaphorical cheese. The IF community, being a bunch of
nerds, is naturally a bit cult-like and has its own quirky brand of
humor and in-jokes. Cheese is a small but significant in-joke within a
small but significant sect of the IF community.

Get it now? :P

Al

Aug 30, 2006, 4:01:09 PM8/30/06

Raksab wrote:
> Why all the cheese? Well, here's my take on it...
(SNIP)

and by the way you forgot that "cutting the cheese" is slang for
farting.

:) :) :) :

Adjusting

Aug 30, 2006, 4:18:36 PM8/30/06
"I wear the cheese. It does not wear me."

aph...@altavista.com

Aug 30, 2006, 9:01:43 PM8/30/06
Ok, I thoroughly understand now, I just wasn't around during it's
contraception. So, now I'm responsible for implementing the following
in games?:

xyzzy
cheese
cows

I'm fond of the cheese in a can. Cheezwhiz. I always buy it with
Sociable crackers. I like to squirt cheese flowers( hold can upright,
square down ). Cheese, funny? maybe. I think vienna sausage is
funny.

I'm an idiot to food and fancy. It was just 1994 when someone told me
pickles don't grow from the ground like that. Pickles are cucumbers, I
still don't fully understand the concept of pickling.

I look forward to implementing cheese.

A.P. Hill

Erik Wennstrom

Aug 30, 2006, 10:18:10 PM8/30/06
Adjusting wrote:
> "I wear the cheese. It does not wear me."

I believe that would be more appropriate for the Dream MiniComp than the
GESCH MiniComp.

Erik

"I'm also a comfortador."

Raksab

Aug 31, 2006, 12:37:30 AM8/31/06

You will also be expected to implement a response to the command
"Hello, sailor." In case you didn't know that. :) Oh, and try to
make sure that a bucket of herring features in your game somewhere.
Played a lot of IF, have you?

ColCommunism

Aug 31, 2006, 2:31:40 AM8/31/06
Raksab wrote:
> You will also be expected to implement a response to the command
> "Hello, sailor." In case you didn't know that. :) Oh, and try to
> make sure that a bucket of herring features in your game somewhere.
> Played a lot of IF, have you?

In fact, why not go crazy? Implement all of the Enchanter spells, too.
Puns a la Nord and Bert are also a must. If you have a corrupt
halfling, the player should be able to type in nothing more than "bad
hobbit" to get some points.

Edo

Aug 31, 2006, 6:18:09 AM8/31/06
On 30 Aug 2006 12:56:25 -0700, "Raksab" <thel...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Commercials have a way of molding culture.

Cheese also has a way of molding.

> - Cheese is inherently funny.

Actually, I disagree with that strongly enough to come out of lurker
mode for a minute and point out something I have noticed before:
whenever people want to give a joke or funny routine a slightly
surreal twist, they will often resort to mentioning either cheese or
fish, which -- oddly enough -- almost always does the trick. For most
people, that is. I've grown tired of it. Cheese is a comedy cliché as
far as I'm concerned. I respect its alleged cult status in the "IF
community" (who they?), but I've grown tired of it as an all-purpose
shortcut to wackiness.

Edo

Gayla

Aug 31, 2006, 10:40:55 PM8/31/06

Are fish still funny?

OK, raise your hand now. How many nostalgic Marx brothers fans are
still taking aspirin for a haddock and setting their e-mail passwords
to "swordfish"? Does it increase the quality of your life? Or is the
fishy stuff getting a bit old?

Some of you may not know that in _The Producers_, the Swedish
receptionist who answered the phone by saying "Bialystok and Bloom" got
her start in show business working for the law firm of "Mackerel,
Flounder, and Halibut."

But I keep wondering... Is there anything intrinsically amusing about
left-over tuna casserole and an empty jar of pickled herring, or is it
just a conditioned reflex tha makes me think so? Is it more boring to
order a pepperoni pizza without anchovies than it is to order fish
tacos with extra marshmallows?

I'm reminded of a quote from the play _Noises Off_, in which the
theatre director lectures his acting crew about the importance of
exits, entrances, and handling the props correctly:

"Doors and sardines. That's what it's all about, doors and sardines.
Getting on, getting off. Getting the sardines on, getting the sardines
off. That's farce. That's - that's the theatre. That's life."

The last time I went to see _Noises Off_, I happened to overhear two
young ladies having a discussion during the intermission. They were
arguing about the best way to go about getting the sardines off.

So what do y'all think would be funnier... handcuffs or Cool Whip?

--Gayla

P.S. And what about ducks?

Adam Thornton

Aug 31, 2006, 10:48:35 PM8/31/06
In article <1157078455.7...@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

"Gayla" <ga...@qrivy.net> wrote:
> Is it more boring to
> order a pepperoni pizza without anchovies than it is to order fish
> tacos with extra marshmallows?

Do you spell your name "Danger" ?

> the best way to go about getting the sardines off.
> So what do y'all think would be funnier... handcuffs or Cool Whip?

It's easy to catch crabs while getting sardines off.

> P.S. And what about ducks?

In the immortal words of Henry Miller, "Fuck a duck."

Adam

ColCommunism

Sep 1, 2006, 12:47:18 AM9/1/06
There are three words in the English language which are inherently
funny without being too vulgar. They are, in roughly ascending order,
chicken, duck, and pants.

Gayla

Sep 1, 2006, 1:05:12 AM9/1/06

Adam Thornton wrote:
> In article <1157078455.7...@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> "Gayla" <ga...@qrivy.net> wrote:
> > Is it more boring to
> > order a pepperoni pizza without anchovies than it is to order fish
> > tacos with extra marshmallows?
>
> Do you spell your name "Danger" ?

I spell my name "Mortsnnew." No eyes.

Ring, ring! Hello? Mr. Nicholson, is that you again? You want to
order some anchovies to go and hold the pizza? Extra cheese? Are you
sure about the cheese? Well, it's just that there's a rumor going
around that cheese isn't all that funny anymore. Hey, now don't get
upset, there's no need to piss on my shoes. You can get extra cheese if
you want.

But you really should rethink that gommick of yours where you tell the
waitress to hold the pizza. Can't you come up with something funnier
than pizza? Oh, I don't know. A duck maybe? No, no, ducks are
overdone. Too crunchy. How about a chicken?

Sardines? Nix on the sardines. The waitress says she can't find the
key What, you say they don't use keys to open sardine cans anymore?
Yes I know about that, but I think she was talking about the handcuffs.

Besides, chickens are much funnier than fish. Of course they are!
You never hear about anyone writing poems about the Trojan Tuna, do
you?

<click>

--Gayla

Adam Thornton

Sep 1, 2006, 1:16:45 AM9/1/06
In article <1157087112.4...@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
"Gayla" <ga...@qrivy.net> wrote:

> Adam Thornton wrote:
> > In article <1157078455.7...@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> > "Gayla" <ga...@qrivy.net> wrote:
> > > Is it more boring to
> > > order a pepperoni pizza without anchovies than it is to order fish
> > > tacos with extra marshmallows?
> >
> > Do you spell your name "Danger" ?
>
> I spell my name "Mortsnnew." No eyes.

Camden N 200 R?

Offer not good after curfew in sectors R or N.

> Besides, chickens are much funnier than fish. Of course they are!
> You never hear about anyone writing poems about the Trojan Tuna, do
> you?

That's an awfully unkind way to refer to Briseis.

Adam

Gayla

Sep 1, 2006, 1:20:32 AM9/1/06

Adam Thornton wrote:
> In article <1157078455.785084.265...@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

> "Gayla" <g...@qrivy.net> wrote:
> > Is it more boring to
> > order a pepperoni pizza without anchovies than it is to order fish
> > tacos with extra marshmallows?

> Do you spell your name "Danger" ?

I spell my name "Mortsnnew." No eyes.

Ring, ring! Hello? Mr. Nicholson, is that you again? You want to

order some anchovies to go and hold the pizza? Extra cheese? Are you
sure about the cheese? Well, it's just that there's a rumor going
around that cheese isn't all that funny anymore. Hey, now don't get
upset, there's no need to piss on my shoes. You can get extra cheese if
you want.

But you really should rethink that gimmick of yours where you tell the

waitress to hold the pizza. Can't you come up with something funnier
than pizza? Oh, I don't know. A duck maybe? No, no, ducks are
overdone. Too crunchy. How about a chicken?

Sardines? Nix on the sardines. The waitress says she can't find the

key. What, you say they don't use keys to open sardine cans anymore?

Yes I know about that, but I think she was talking about the handcuffs.

Besides, chickens are much funnier than fish. Of course they are! You

never hear about anyone writing poems about the Trojan Tuna, do you?

<click>

--Gayla

Gayla

Sep 1, 2006, 1:35:48 AM9/1/06

Adam Thornton wrote:
> > > In article <1157078455.7...@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> > > "Gayla" <ga...@qrivy.net> wrote:
> > Besides, chickens are much funnier than fish. Of course they are!
> > You never hear about anyone writing poems about the Trojan Tuna, do
> > you?
>
> That's an awfully unkind way to refer to Briseis.
>
> Adam

Briseis? Ha-ha. That's-a no fish.

I was thinking more along the lines of Patrocles.

--Gayla

Adam Thornton

Sep 1, 2006, 1:45:10 AM9/1/06
In article <1157088947.9...@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>,

"Gayla" <ga...@qrivy.net> wrote:
> Briseis? Ha-ha. That's-a no fish.
> I was thinking more along the lines of Patrocles.

What's the difference between a Greek and a tuna?

You can tune a Greek but....

oh, never mind.

Mr. President, this is Worker speaking.

Adam

John W. Kennedy

Sep 1, 2006, 9:10:15 PM9/1/06

Apart from having very different meanings on two sides of the Atlantic,
"pants" doesn't have a "k" in it, and is therefore not funny.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

aph...@altavista.com

Sep 1, 2006, 9:24:06 PM9/1/06
No....., "Body parts" are funny. The fact that each of you talking
heads on the internet newgroup platform of literacy have to lobe around
a big white ass around, that's funny.

We tend to forget about everything when minds are talking, but strange,
beige edifcies jettisoning out of lobes and pits and.. I mean, there
is no doubt when I stand in front of a mirror naked, I am Man. But if
I stare long enough , I laugh my ass off.

AP

//to keep it simple, Im still only plugging in cows, cheese and
xyzzy....

ColCommunism

Sep 1, 2006, 11:19:31 PM9/1/06

John W. Kennedy wrote:
> ColCommunism wrote:
> > There are three words in the English language which are inherently
> > funny without being too vulgar. They are, in roughly ascending order,
> > chicken, duck, and pants.
>
> Apart from having very different meanings on two sides of the Atlantic,
> "pants" doesn't have a "k" in it, and is therefore not funny.

Ridiculous, I say. Just say it to yourself. PANTS. It could mean
undergarments or trousers, it's still hilarious. Next time you're in a
library, yell out "pants" and see how many people laugh.

_Felix

Sep 2, 2006, 2:09:15 PM9/2/06
John W. Kennedy wrote:

> "pants" doesn't have a "k" in it, and is therefore not funny.

It was H. L. Mencken who came up with this idea that k-words are funny.
I think it is a weak diktat, which doesn't work.

To be fair, he came up with it in 1948. It might have been true *then*.

Actually the word "diktat" mildly amuses me, but only because it sounds
like "dick".

Body parts are reliably amusing because most people have some of them,
providing a shared experience. No word is *inherently* funny.

Al

Sep 4, 2006, 2:05:38 PM9/4/06
I guess that since everyone is working on their comp entries right
now,no one has time in being interested in being a judge. I'd like to
get at least 2 respsonse before December 1st if possible. If not I may
just do the judging myself but since there is a monetary award I feel
that others should do the juding instead of myself.