Nethack++ is here!

Yuval Oren

Dec 10, 1992, 3:30:41 PM12/10/92
That's right. Nethack++ is here! Almost 200 new monsters! Over twice
as many new character classes! Zillions of new objects -- placeable
traps! Things ripped off from other people, like warning from walking
on bad stuff, and a list of killed monsters at the end of the game.
It's new! It's fun! It's here!

For the time being, until they scan it for viruses (trust me), it's in
the uploads directory of archive.umich.edu.

nhpp30pc.zip msdos executable, 286 and up.
nhpp3src.zip All the *.c and *.h files from the source. You can get
rest yourself -- I didn't change anything else.

Changes written by Tom Proudfoot and Yuval Oren (that's me).

Yuval

P.S. I've only tested the source on msdos, but it should work
everywhere else.

|Yuval Oren |
|yu...@ocf.berkeley.edu |
| "One spoiled green bird is worth two cooks in the other grass broth."|

Peter Snelling

Dec 10, 1992, 6:44:03 PM12/10/92
In article <1g89dh...@agate.berkeley.edu>, tchn...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Yuval Oren) writes:
>That's right. Nethack++ is here! Almost 200 new monsters! Over twice
>as many new character classes! Zillions of new objects -- placeable
>traps! Things ripped off from other people, like warning from walking
>on bad stuff, and a list of killed monsters at the end of the game.
>It's new! It's fun! It's here!
>
>For the time being, until they scan it for viruses (trust me), it's in
>the uploads directory of archive.umich.edu.
>
>nhpp30pc.zip msdos executable, 286 and up.
>nhpp3src.zip All the *.c and *.h files from the source. You can get
> rest yourself -- I didn't change anything else.
>

>Changes written by Tom Proudfoot and Yuval Oren (that's me).
>

>Yuval
>
>P.S. I've only tested the source on msdos, but it should work
>everywhere else.

Hmmmmm.

Does nethack++ mean you've re-written the whole thing in c++?
If so that's really good, and I think you should post more
information about it (what compiler you used, ...)

If this is just a big set of changes changes, maybe you could
post some kind of summary list. I like to pick and choose the
changes I make to the official 3.0j source, and probably
wouldn't want to just add 200 monsters.

Adding new characters has been the subject of endless discussions
here. I remember someone who suggested 26 classes (one for each
letter). I'd be interested to see which ones you've added.

As for ripped off code, if you used the code I posted for warnings,
you're welcome to it -- that's why I posted it.
--
Peter Snelling

Thomas Michael Proudfoot

Dec 10, 1992, 11:30:24 PM12/10/92
Well, we didn't rewrite the thing. That would take forever, I think.
What basically happened was I would think of something I wanted to happen,
chuck it into the source (did I mention I don't know C?), Yuval would
compile it and fix my numerous syntax errors, and we'd play for a few das
before deciding to add something else. Nearly all the changes are mine,
Yuval just covered the programming aspect of it, so any balance problems,
or quibbles about certain features should be directed to me.

I've only won Nethack once, with a archeologist (hey, that's my major!),
but pretty much know how it works and how it's balanced. Since I did
win once, I figure it's too easy ;), so I decided to toughen the game up
a little. First off, I added a bunch of lousy character classes, like
Locksmiths, who have a lot of useless stuff, crummy stats, and no
abilities to speak of. If you can win with this sorry class, you're a
stud. On the other end of the spectrum are Ninjas, a way-too-powerful
class that I think makes a good introduction to the game, a "learners"
class. Also in there are Drunks (lots 'o potions), Firefighters (fire
resist., fire items), Geeks (you ;)), Musicians (another easy class...
oh well), Officers (ripped off from that list-o-26-classes),
Undertakers (turn undead wands for that always-around-pet), and
Zookeepers (a class for people who like to tame things).

I basically threw in every monster I could think of, including many
unique monsters that sort of serve as "bad guys". Yuval, I, and my
other roommate are also in the game... look out!

New items... potions of polymorph, land mines, jaw traps, sleep traps,
orange, yellow, and black gems.... um, wands of healing, and I think
that's about it.

Game changes (ducking the flames...) You cast spells "like in Moria",
as one person wanted, and I agreed. You can cast a spell from 25-50 times,
instead of 3-10. Obviously, spell books are much more powerful now. And
no, I didn't take out the genocide or finger of death spell books. They're
pretty rare. Rings of conflict are only 50% as effective. I think they
were way too powerful. Dipping a sword gives you different swords based
on your alignment (another one of someone else's ideas... David, I think),
and the "kill list".

I'm sure I forgot lots of stuff, and our commenting the code basically
sucked, so good luck. But we find the game has a lot more variety
now (not that it didn't before), and have more fun playing it.
Surprise those nethack know-it-alls! "Oh my god, what's a mangler?!?"

Merry Christmas,

Tom

| Tom Proudfoot |
| pro...@ocf.berkeley.edu ...catchy quote... |

Rune Breivik

Dec 11, 1992, 3:04:12 AM12/11/92
Where can i get a copy of Nethack++, it was not possible from archive.umich.edu, do you have an other adress i can use at FTP

Rune

Sander Plomp

Dec 16, 1992, 10:24:39 AM12/16/92
tchn...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Yuval Oren) writes:

>That's right. Nethack++ is here! Almost 200 new monsters! Over twice
>as many new character classes! Zillions of new objects -- placeable
>traps! Things ripped off from other people, like warning from walking
>on bad stuff, and a list of killed monsters at the end of the game.
>It's new! It's fun! It's here!

It was bound to happen. In one way I'm glad it did. In another I'm not.

When I started playing nethack it was fun. New versions and new spoilers
every few weeks. I read this newsgroup regularly, and with great joy. I
learned new features, new abuses, new tricks. That was over a year ago.

Now look at the FAQ. The last update is from early this year. Updating
only an archive name. When did 3.0j came out? When the last spoiler
list? And it says: do not ask for 3.1, the dev team will announce when
it is ready. I kept my part of the deal, and didn't ask a thing. But
I never heard a thing about 3.1.

I thought about adding some features to nethack. I always postponed it,
partly because 3.1 was due any moment now, cause 3.0j was quite old, or
so I thought. And partly for other reasons. So I waited for 3.1.

I used to play nethack until 3am in the morning, fighting with my
wife about who was next. But lately, I grew bored of 3.0j, I had seen
it, even if I never ascended. I *wanted* new things. rec.games.hack
became boring too, with nothing really new on it too.

Now an unofficial desendant came into existing. I have ftp'ed it a few
minutes ago, and will try it out tonight. There's more exitement in
this newsgroup then there has been for months. And I will now post
this message, with the question I have been tempted to post for months:

TO THE DEV TEAM:

- how is 3.1 doing
- when will it be ready
- what will it contain
- for god sake, say something!

From how it looks, the dev team tried to much, and the whole project
slowly died, streching out and out and out, until the last syllable of
spoken time. I know of dozens of really nice reorganizations of the
nethack code (switching to C++, programmable monsters, larger dungeon
levels, version independent save/bones format, multi player options,
more flexible levels, cities and places, outdoor levels, better
colour, graphics, and sound support, ... the list goes on and on.)
All very nice, all a lot of work on a program the size of nethack.
Probably the dev team planned too much in too little time. And others
in the end decided not to wait, but to go their own way.

Now there are two different streams, the DEV TEAM and the PLUS PLUS.
I sure hope they come together again in future. But if the dev team
remains silent ...

I know the dev team can probably be reached somewhere, but please,
go public once in a while.

Now I can imagine the dev team might be a bit upset about some other
people going off with their game. Above all things I want to avoid
a war between the two camps. This is just the way copylefted stuff
is supposed to work; if one source dries up others can take over. The
way of the Hacker, you know.

So what will happen next? Anyone?
--
Sander Plomp Internet: Sander...@cwi.nl

Bradley S. Corsello

Dec 16, 1992, 6:20:41 PM12/16/92

In a previous article, tchn...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Yuval Oren) says:

>That's right. Nethack++ is here! Almost 200 new monsters! Over twice

[...]

>nhpp30pc.zip msdos executable, 286 and up.

Could someone please compile an 8088-runnable version and make it available?
I know, I know... but I'm just a starving law student... can't afford a nice
shiny '486.

Mucho gracias.
--
Brad Corsello (bs...@po.cwru.edu) 2L Case Western Reserve Law School
"The Fanaticks have always had a way of affecting to run into Per-

ANGEL G LOUREIRO

Dec 20, 1992, 1:48:59 AM12/20/92
In article <1godk9...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> bs...@po.CWRU.Edu (Bradley S. Corsello) writes:

>>nhpp30pc.zip msdos executable, 286 and up.
>
>Could someone please compile an 8088-runnable version and make it available?
>I know, I know... but I'm just a starving law student... can't afford a nice
>shiny '486.

I'd also be interested in seeing an 8088 version of Nethack++ .

===
Email Roland.Ja...@SPANPORT.umass.edu
===

OPIRG

Dec 23, 1992, 10:59:22 AM12/23/92
I'm off the net for a month, and NH++ has come and gone, looks like.
So, would someone explain what it is, where I can get it, and...

>>>nhpp30pc.zip msdos executable, 286 and up.
>>
>>Could someone please compile an 8088-runnable version and make it available?
>>I know, I know... but I'm just a starving law student... can't afford a nice
>>shiny '486.
>I'd also be interested in seeing an 8088 version of Nethack++ .

... When I can expect too see something like this arrive? I too am in
the 'can't afford' group. I would get the sources and try to compile
them myself, but I doubt I have quite the requisite skill, from the
sound of the problems others have had, and QuickC 2.0 would probably
choke over the thing.

(When I can afford a 386+ I would me more than happy to take a whack
at it with MSC7, but it could be a long time...)

By the way, why is the executable only for 286 or above in the first
place? I realize the game can be a bit slow on an '88 but it runs,
and if you use it as an OL game for a bbs, (as I do) you barely notice
the delays. Or is it just that the compiler used isn't capable of
generating 8088 compatible code? (What is this?!?)

Thanks,

Christopher Allen
(wcs...@alfred.carleton.ca)

c...@dstos3.dsto.gov.au

Jan 5, 1993, 2:44:34 PM1/5/93
In article <wcsbeau.725126362@cunews>, wcs...@alfred.carleton.ca (OPIRG) writes:
> [...]

Could someone please tell me where it is and not just the fact that it
exists? I never got the original announcement because yoyo (which feeds us)
has been (you guessed) up and down like a yo-yo in the last 3 weeks!
Archie.au dosen't know where it is, either.

Thanks,
Chris

--

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are purely personal and do NOT represent
the official view of the organization.

Yuval Oren

Jan 6, 1993, 12:00:01 AM1/6/93
In article <1993Jan5.13...@dstos3.dsto.gov.au> c...@dstos3.dsto.gov.au writes:

>Could someone please tell me where it is and not just the fact that it
>exists? I never got the original announcement because yoyo (which feeds us)
>has been (you guessed) up and down like a yo-yo in the last 3 weeks!
>Archie.au dosen't know where it is, either.

No more Nethack++. It's now Nethack--. See the message as to where it is.

Yuval