boards

Chris

Dec 23, 2003, 8:39:00 PM12/23/03
What happens to the different goban woods as they age?
Do they darken slightly or markedly? Is there a forum where older boards
are sold?
Chris

magni

Dec 24, 2003, 3:35:22 PM12/24/03
"Chris" <sk...@aol.com> wrote in message news:<2-2dndzAWqT...@comcast.com>...

Kaya(torreya nucifera) is the one that changes significantly. it goes
from a golden light tan to dark chestnut brown....someimes so dark
that it gets difficult to see the lines. It also requires the most
care; some oil there boards with something similar to sword polishing
oil. Its a light oil, but it does sink in and along with the grime
from one's hands the board gets darker. I dont believe kaya boards
'age' this way without use. Bees wax is best IMHO for board
protection. Beeswax at room temp provides a nice thin coat without
sinking in overmuch. Take a brick of beeswax and LIGHTLY just barely
touch the board.go over all 6 sides.

Shinkaya(a type of spruce) is a considerably softer than kaya and so
will dent and pit with those who think the 'sound' comes from whacking
sternly the board. Evne kaya will dent this way.. but shin kaya is
worse.

But these boards are more tuneful somehow; the click is warmer than
with kaya and it'll thud when done incorrectly.

katsura and agathis floor boards are considerably harder but also have
a lighttopcoat with color so although it may darken you wont notice on
the playing surface. I have 3 agathis floor boards and one kaya and
one agathis... I play regularly and believe me none of them darken if
cared for properly.

Happy Christmas!!!
Magno no Go

David Bogie

Dec 24, 2003, 9:17:37 PM12/24/03
You can determine the aging characteristics of almost any wood with a
little research in the woodworking online presence. It's a huge group
of people. There are five or more woodworking newsgroups and you will
find forums on most of the major wood magazine's corporate sites. Good
people. If you know the proper name of the wood species and how it has
been treated or cured, someone will be able to tell you precisely what
to expect considering your environmental conditions. Which,
understandably, vary tremendously. Humidity, air quality, and exposure
to sunlight are probably the factors that will determine how the wood
surface oxidizes or dries and how the chemicals in the wood are
changed and how that can affect the surface color.

Looking for old boards? eBay. About once a month someone is selling an
antique Japanese or Chinese board. Some are spectacular examples of
the woodworker's craft, some claiming to be hundreds of years old.

david boise ID

gowan

Dec 25, 2003, 12:47:04 PM12/25/03
michael_l...@yahoo.com (magni) wrote in message news:<23e9ba68.03122...@posting.google.com>...

Actually, kaya boards age naturally, without grime, very slowly. It
may take 100 years to darken significantly. Katsura on the other hand
does darken rather rapidly. Japanese katsura boards are not stained
and the face of the board is the natural color. They will darken
significantly within 20 years. Of course dirt is a no no. Real kaya
has a natural oily resin and the face and sides must be polished
periodically or a light coating of the resin accumulates, giving a
sort of dusty appearaance. It is not necessary, in fact it is
counter-indicated, to use oil or wax on a real kaya board.

magni

Dec 26, 2003, 1:39:02 AM12/26/03
And i thought the dust on my kaya board was due to the inherent
laziness of my wife!!! lol

I didnt know katsura darkened... or perhaps its because the face of
the board is painted tan.. hee hee but the sides havent changed
appreciably... but thats the key word isnt it? ive only had that for 5
years or so.

Magno no Go

David Bogie

Dec 26, 2003, 7:26:54 PM12/26/03
Wanna see some cool boards?

http://www.kiseido.com/test/kayaboards.htm

This a link from Kiseido's online shop showing some of their better
offerings at their Japan warehouse. They're new but they're lovely. At
a constantly variable but approximate exchange rate US$10.00 to 1000¥,
you can have one of these beauties for just $6,000 to $200,000, umm,
plus shipping and handling. For that much money, I'd expect to take a
nice long vacation and take delivery in person. Major drool factor,
having one of these kaya boards would certainly improve my game.

As if.

bogiesan

Chris

Dec 27, 2003, 4:04:52 PM12/27/03
So, if the board is 30 years old and still appears
bright, it is more likely kaya than katsura?
Chris