AI IGO on the PSP?

Chris Hayashida

Apr 30, 2005, 4:03:49 AM4/30/05
Anyone have any experience with AI IGO on the PSP?

I found this link:

http://www.mmv-i.net/game/psp/AI/igo/index.html

It looks like you can play against the computer. You can play against
another player with ad-hoc wireless, but I think I'd prefer a goban. I
thought it would be really cool if it had an IGS client, though, or
something like that on it. I can't really read the rest.

Can someone else that can read the page better tell me what's going on?

Thanks,

Chris

ZeroKun

Apr 30, 2005, 4:18:23 AM4/30/05
I'm prolly gonna import it sometime this year, but when someone mentioned
it on KGS, everyone started getting into the conversation, and one member
found this english review for it.
http://www.ntsc-uk.com/review.php?platform=psp&game=AIIgo , enjoy.

Warp

Apr 30, 2005, 8:56:31 AM4/30/05
ZeroKun <rrui...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm prolly gonna import it sometime this year, but when someone mentioned
> it on KGS, everyone started getting into the conversation, and one member
> found this english review for it.
> http://www.ntsc-uk.com/review.php?platform=psp&game=AIIgo , enjoy.

I think there's a small error in that review. It says:

"Fotland estimates that at best it plays on 8-kyu level, so there are
still eight ranks to go before it can even hold its own against the
weakest professional."

If the program was 8 ranks weaker than a pro then its strength would
be that of an amateur shodan, which I believe is certainly not the case.
The writer is, I think, confusing amateur ranks with professional ranks.
The program is probably 8 stones weaker than an amateur shodan, not a
professional shodan.

--
- Warp

Bob

Apr 30, 2005, 10:21:35 AM4/30/05
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:18:23 +0000, ZeroKun wrote:

> I'm prolly gonna import it sometime this year, but when someone mentioned
> it on KGS, everyone started getting into the conversation, and one member
> found this english review for it.
> http://www.ntsc-uk.com/review.php?platform=psp&game=AIIgo , enjoy.

The review says it is based on David Fotland's Many Faces program but
also says it is developed by Nemesis. Nemesis is another Go program and
was written by Bruce Wilcox. Does anyone else find this strange?

John

Apr 30, 2005, 11:31:19 AM4/30/05
On 2005-04-30, Bob <b...@dont.spam.me> wrote:
> The review says it is based on David Fotland's Many Faces program but
> also says it is developed by Nemesis. Nemesis is another Go program and
> was written by Bruce Wilcox. Does anyone else find this strange?

On a different note, Ultimate Board Games coming out this summer for the
Nintendo DS now has Go and has wireless online play.

Chris Hayashida

May 7, 2005, 7:03:15 AM5/7/05
"John" <21gd...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

I guess it's a good thing I have a DS, too. But the PSP is what gets all the
chicks. So maybe I should think about writing an IGS client for the PSP...
Anyone know where I can get a dev kit? :)

Chris

John

May 7, 2005, 9:00:39 PM5/7/05
On 2005-05-07, Chris Hayashida <chris.n0.s...@prosum.com> wrote:
> > On a different note, Ultimate Board Games coming out this summer for the
> > Nintendo DS now has Go and has wireless online play.
>
> I guess it's a good thing I have a DS, too. But the PSP is what gets
> all the chicks. So maybe I should think about writing an IGS client for
> the PSP... Anyone know where I can get a dev kit? :)

From the smiley I'll assume you already know they are out of the price
range of the average independent developer.

Besides, the game would only be good for 6 months to a year before the IGS
protocol changed making your game irrelevant. :)

-

May 7, 2005, 9:13:54 PM5/7/05

John <UYLP...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> From the smiley I'll assume you already know they are out of
> the price range of the average independent developer.

You can start from Solaris 10, now freely available.

> Besides, the game would only be good for 6 months to a year
> before the IGS protocol changed making your game irrelevant. :)

When did the IGS last change the protocol? Perhaps "John" does
not understand the meaning of "upward compatible", smiley or not.

- regards
- jb

subscribe to prison planet tv
http://www.prisonplanet.tv/video_other.html

ZeroKun

May 8, 2005, 7:56:11 AM5/8/05
SCEA, or however you spell it said that they might provide a simple kit to
allow program developers to develope for their system, less than the
35,000 USD for the real one I assume :P.