Go in Kyoto

sfli...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2006, 6:29:05 PM6/20/06
Thanks to previous help I received in an earlier thread, I found the go
salon in Kyoto near the main JR station, and paid a visit to it on two
evenings while I was in Kyoto.

I've written a short account of my visit on the Irish Go website:
www.irish-go.org.

Check it out.

Steve

ChiyoDad

Jun 20, 2006, 10:31:43 PM6/20/06
Nice couple of photos! Any more?

Like the new format of the site.

Best Regards,
- ChiyoDad
_______________
Go blog at: http://chiyodad.blogspot.com

PaleoPete

Jun 20, 2006, 11:06:14 PM6/20/06

Thanks for the pics, Steve! Wow, that brings back such great memories.
I also visited that club when I was in Kyoto last summer (July 2005),
and it's exactly as you describe. It took a while for me to find the
place initially, but the same old man from your photo was the host when
I was there, too (wearing that same kimono, as well). I visited 2
other clubs while I was in Kyoto, but this one was the best. You know,
because I spoke only a little Japanese, and I was there by myself, I
never did understand their payment method, only that it was cheaper, in
the end, than either of the other 2 clubs I visited. So now, thanks to
you, I understand! You're right, it is a good stimulus to improve.

I took some shots of the Kyoto club exterior as well, and some of the
surrounding buildings so one could use them as landmarks (the club is
down a narrow side-street, but you'll see it if you can recognize the
"igo" kanji icon in the distance).

http://www.geocities.com/red_iguana27/IMG_0933.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/red_iguana27/IMG_0934.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/red_iguana27/IMG_0935.JPG

Eventually, on our club website, I will have directions to this club as
well as a few other clubs I visited while I was in Japan. Currently
all that is up is my visit to Ben's Cafe in Takadanobaba, Tokyo
(http://chapters.usgo.org/penngo/benscafe.html), and an interview I
conducted with Rob van Zeijst, but more is on its way.

If you go to Osaka, do not pass up visiting the Kansai Ki'in!

Peter
http://chapters.usgo.org/penngo/

sfli...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2006, 4:17:43 AM6/22/06
Thanks for that.

I didn't take any more photos of the go salon in Kyoto, but I have
plenty of my trip to the WAGC, and the rest of my sightseeing around
Kyoto. Check back to the site from time to time (or subscribe via RSS
- http://www.irish-go.org/feed/atom/) to keep an eye on the updates.

ChiyoDad

Jun 23, 2006, 11:15:43 AM6/23/06
Would it be possible for someone to add these salons to the fledgling
RealWorldGoMap on Frappr?
http://www.frappr.com/RealWorldGo

Perhaps I'll be able to make a side trip to that salon should we ever
go to visit some friends in that city.
:-)

Best Regards,
- ChiyoDad