Yahoo Go dirty tricks

1 view

tom

Jul 26, 2006, 5:24:54 PM7/26/06
I play Go on yahoo for about a year, lately I encountered some people
keep disputing obviously
finished games, that caused my clock keep runing while their's stoped,
that caused me losing
instead of winning. is there anyway to fight back?

Thanks.

Jeff Nowakowski

Jul 26, 2006, 6:40:46 PM7/26/06

Yes. Play on KGS, IGS, or another server where this behavior is not
tolerated.

-Jeff

Big Duck

Jul 26, 2006, 7:58:00 PM7/26/06
Tom,

there are many ways to fight back. I am surprised that you need to come
here for advise. Here are several ways you can fight back and I have only
scratched the surface of possibilities:

1. Punch your computer screen

2. Make a voodoo doll of the person and poke it with pins.

3. Find out the persons IP address and then trace down where they live and
then fire bomb his house.

4. Get the person to join rgg and get them to engage in a thread with Jeff
Boscole

5. Start your own go server and then ban the person from your go server.

6. Put their yahoo picture on the dart board and throw dart at it.

7. Buy the person a one way plane ticket to England

8. Explain to your girlfriend how unjust the Yahoo game server is

9. Lobby Congress to pass a law against tricking people out of go games

10. Put a bumper sticker on your car saying "Escapers Suck"

I hope this helps you find a way to get back at your enemy

Sincerely

Big Duck

PS I still do!

"tom" <dice...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Robert Jasiek

Jul 27, 2006, 3:42:45 AM7/27/06
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:40:46 -0400, Jeff Nowakowski
<jef...@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>Play on KGS, IGS, or another server where this behavior is not
>tolerated.

Similar behaviour is possible also on KGS and IGS because also those
servers' softwares fail to provide simple anti-escaper procedures at
the game end.

--
robert jasiek

Nick Wedd

Jul 27, 2006, 4:06:49 AM7/27/06
In message <cgrgc2digc5ijc3mb...@4ax.com>, Robert Jasiek
<jas...@snafu.de> writes

It is possible on KGS and IGS, but it is much less often encountered
there. I do not know if this is because of differences in the software,
or because of a "culture" on Yahoo which regards such behaviour as
acceptable.

Nick
--
Nick Wedd ni...@maproom.co.uk

ian

Jul 27, 2006, 5:47:14 AM7/27/06
KGS has an anti escaper procedure.

Nick Wedd

Jul 27, 2006, 7:45:49 AM7/27/06
Dear Big Duck,

Look at this site: http://www.gamecraft.de/eiersuche/english.htm
They have lots of egg hunts (they call them "eiersuche"), better
designed than yours.

Best wishes,

ian

Jul 27, 2006, 8:15:26 AM7/27/06

Nick Wedd wrote:
> Dear Big Duck,
>
> Look at this site: http://www.gamecraft.de/eiersuche/english.htm
> They have lots of egg hunts (they call them "eiersuche"), better
> designed than yours.

Nick,
Although these puzzles are well constructed they miss one important
thing.
There is no option in these to ban somebody from using it.

Marian Jancar

Jul 27, 2006, 8:06:31 AM7/27/06
ian wrote:
> KGS has an anti escaper procedure.

IGS has too, and better.

Marian

abu...@ieee.org

Jul 27, 2006, 8:48:27 AM7/27/06

Are you sure there is no SECRET way to ban people? Perhaps to go along
with their secret EULA?

Adam

ChiyoDad

Jul 27, 2006, 8:54:20 AM7/27/06
I haven't played extensively on CyberOro. I wonder what their policy
is?

Admittedly, I haven't yet encountered an escaper there, and I play in
the lower ranks.

- ChiyoDad
Go blog at http://chiyodad.blogspot.com

ian

Jul 27, 2006, 8:56:08 AM7/27/06

Yes, I hadn't considered this. I clearly owe Nick a large apology.

Robert Jasiek

Jul 27, 2006, 11:12:04 AM7/27/06
On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:06:49 +0100, Nick Wedd <ni...@maproom.co.uk>
wrote:

>It is possible on KGS and IGS, but it is much less often encountered
>there. I do not know if this is because of differences in the software,
>or because of a "culture"

On KGS there are fewer software given options to cheat than on IGS.
Also the KGS culture is, what'd you say, softer. I can't compare to
Yahoo because I have never used that.

--
robert jasiek

Robert Jasiek

Jul 27, 2006, 11:12:41 AM7/27/06
On 27 Jul 2006 02:47:14 -0700, "ian" <siva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> KGS has an anti escaper procedure.

How does it work?

--
robert jasiek

Michael Alford

Jul 27, 2006, 11:27:04 AM7/27/06

Just a short follow-up here rather than to Jasiek. It has been some time
since escaping was eliminated on IGS. If you are in a game and
disconnect, the system (and not a client) flags it. If the person that
disconnected does not return in 5mins, the system resigns the game.

Michael

BEAR

Jul 27, 2006, 12:04:39 PM7/27/06

Play on a real Go server?
One with real rankings?
One with real admins?

And decent client software?

_-_-bear

Robert Jasiek

Jul 27, 2006, 3:55:15 PM7/27/06
On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:27:04 -0700, Michael Alford <ma...@aracnet.com>
wrote:

>It has been some time
>since escaping was eliminated on IGS. If you are in a game and
>disconnect, the system (and not a client) flags it. If the person that
>disconnected does not return in 5mins, the system resigns the game.

This trivial "escaping" has been treated but most of the other
"escapers'" tactics not.

--
robert jasiek

ian

Jul 27, 2006, 4:24:30 PM7/27/06

Robert Jasiek wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2006 02:47:14 -0700, "ian" <siva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > KGS has an anti escaper procedure.
>
> How does it work?

As I understand it,

The system is only designed to deal with persistent offenders, it
presumes that occaisonal cases are disconnections. If somebody escapes
games 1 to 10, then on their 11th escape they forfeit game 1. On their
12th they forfeit game 2.

Mef

Jul 27, 2006, 5:37:11 PM7/27/06

Essentially correct, but a little bit of clarification on this....If
you are the first person to leave in more than 30% of your timed, rated
games (minimum of 3, maximum of 10), then each additional game you are
the first person to leave will cause you to forfeit the first
unforfeited game on your list you escaped from, until you have 10
forfeits at which point you are labelled a chronic escaper and resign
any unfinished timed rated game that you are the first to leave.

Cheers,

Mef

Gohst @

Jul 28, 2006, 2:07:15 AM7/28/06

I don't think the "culture" tolerates it on Yahoo.. I think people don't
know what to do about it. That's why the original poster asked here.

-- Gohst

Hans Kloss

Jul 28, 2006, 7:25:37 AM7/28/06
you mean like not willing to give up and playing on? I saw a game like
this once. It must have been extremly boring for the one on receiving
side of such practice but other than that it is nothing that shall
disturb. After all playing on is allowed and legal if not sportsmanlike
practice.
Or you meant some other ways? Which ones then?

//

Hans Kloss

Jul 28, 2006, 7:29:34 AM7/28/06
As far as I could see the system waits for the other user to connect
again giving constant notifications to the active player. If the escaper
is not there 5 minutes later he lost and the game is finished.
I think is fair. I am not sure what happens if the other player leaves
the game too then but I am not that inclined to try either.

//

Robert Jasiek

Jul 28, 2006, 12:29:28 PM7/28/06
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:25:37 +0200, Hans Kloss
<Hans....@hulagula.pl> wrote:
>you mean like not willing to give up and playing on?

This is perfectly ok.

>Or you meant some other ways?

Clicking away living stones, undoing forever, etc.

--
robert jasiek

To ja Wento

Aug 2, 2006, 3:12:31 PM8/2/06
that would fit with the situation I had - my oponent seemed to disagree
on life status of a group. As we could not agree the game was put on
hold and situation resolved after two weeks - decision was then made and
my stats (and I guess my oponent's too) updated.
I am not sure how did all this happen. I could not find anything in the
help files but it did happen. During these two weeks the game was
waiting for a decision in some strange state (I cannot recall right now
what exactly it was). The server in question was IGS - maybe some of IGS
admins could explain? Not that I need that very much but still it would
be nice.

//
--
we are all genius
until we say "oh my gawd!"

Juha Nieminen

Aug 3, 2006, 6:37:12 AM8/3/06
Hans Kloss wrote:
> As far as I could see the system waits for the other user to connect
> again giving constant notifications to the active player. If the escaper
> is not there 5 minutes later he lost and the game is finished.
> I think is fair.

Yeah, it's fair that if someone is having problems with his
internet connection he loses the game. And this completely regardless
of his previous unreproachable playing history and good reputation.
Sure.

I like the system in KGS because it punishes *chronic* escapers
while not punishing one-time offenders (who probably "escaped" simply
because of a bad connection).

Juha Nieminen

Aug 3, 2006, 6:39:17 AM8/3/06
Michael Alford wrote:
> Just a short follow-up here rather than to Jasiek. It has been some time
> since escaping was eliminated on IGS. If you are in a game and
> disconnect, the system (and not a client) flags it. If the person that
> disconnected does not return in 5mins, the system resigns the game.

So regardless of the previous unreproachable game history and good
reputation of a player he will be marked as an escaper just because
he happened to have a connection problem at that moment? Sure, that
sounds really fair.

I find this kind of "anti-escaper" system idiotic.

Jouni Karvo

Aug 3, 2006, 6:51:18 AM8/3/06

hi,

Juha Nieminen <nos...@thanks.invalid> writes:

> So regardless of the previous unreproachable game history and good
> reputation of a player he will be marked as an escaper just because
> he happened to have a connection problem at that moment? Sure, that
> sounds really fair.

No. There are no "escaper" type players in IGS. Escaping is just a
(stupid) way of resigning.

And if you do have a short connection problem, you can return and
continue playing during the five minutes. If your connection problem
persists, then why should your opponent be obliged to find some time
later - perhaps another day, when (s)he would have something else to
do - to resume play with you? After all, your connection problems are
not your opponent's fault.

yours,
Jouni

Ben Finney

Aug 3, 2006, 7:47:44 AM8/3/06
Jouni Karvo <jouni...@tkk.fi> writes:

> And if you do have a short connection problem, you can return and
> continue playing during the five minutes. If your connection
> problem persists, then why should your opponent be obliged to find
> some time later - perhaps another day, when (s)he would have
> something else to do - to resume play with you? After all, your
> connection problems are not your opponent's fault.

Neither are they an indication of intent to resign. Why should
technical problems -- entirely unrelated to player strength, judgement
or temperament -- lead to a recorded loss?

(interesting choice by my sigmonster this time :-)

--
\ "[T]he speed of response of the internet will re-introduce us |
`\ to that from which our political systems have separated us for |

Jouni Karvo

Aug 3, 2006, 9:29:21 AM8/3/06

Ben Finney <bignose+h...@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> Neither are they an indication of intent to resign. Why should
> technical problems -- entirely unrelated to player strength, judgement
> or temperament -- lead to a recorded loss?

All I can say is keep it simple. Besides, why should you be so
worried about your rating.

Technical problems (that last for longer than 5min) are rare. If your
rating suffers too much from them, you should perhaps spend more money
on your Internet connection.

yours,
Jouni

Nick Wedd

Aug 3, 2006, 9:53:53 AM8/3/06
In message <m9bwt9q...@tele.netlab.hut.fi>, Jouni Karvo
<jouni...@tkk.fi> writes

>Technical problems (that last for longer than 5min) are rare. If your
>rating suffers too much from them, you should perhaps spend more money
>on your Internet connection.

You are fortunate to live in a country where you can purchase a reliable
internet connection.

I used to have frequent internet disconnects, some of them exceeding
five minutes. There was no way I could pay for a better connection, as
all services I could use depended on the same defetive cable. Eventually
a flood in the cable duct caused the cable's owner (British Telecom) to
replace it; since then I have had few problems.

To ja Wento

Aug 3, 2006, 2:14:55 PM8/3/06

I do not know if Oro marks anybody as escaper but that is beyond the
point here. If your connection is unstable so that you cannot play then
you well exactly that: you cannot play. it is that simple. Use
itsyourturn - or whatever it is called - to play instead. It takes
longer but you will not lose 'cause your connection is crap.

To ja Wento

Aug 3, 2006, 2:20:45 PM8/3/06
Nick Wedd wrote:

As I stated somewhere else - it is a pity but if conditions do not allow
to play (on internet go server or elsewhere) then you simply don't.
You lose the game during a tournament if you come late or leave early
due to whatever reason (girlfriend called or house fire or whatever). It
is maybe not fair to you but there are others that are affected - look
beyond the end of your own nose - why should your oponent wait for
resumption of the game/result if you have a connection problem? 5
minutes is a fair deal. There are turn based game servers out there
where the connection quality is not a problem.

Mef

Aug 3, 2006, 5:49:03 PM8/3/06

To ja Wento wrote:

> I do not know if Oro marks anybody as escaper but that is beyond the
> point here. If your connection is unstable so that you cannot play then
> you well exactly that: you cannot play.

Unless you're on KGS, which feels this section of the market is worth
accomodating.

Cheers,

Mef

Mef

Aug 3, 2006, 5:52:25 PM8/3/06

Jouni Karvo wrote:
> All I can say is keep it simple. Besides, why should you be so
> worried about your rating.

In that case it's better to leave the game unfinished. After all if
neither player is particularly concerned about their rank, it's better
for the system as a whole to not have a particular data point than to
have an inaccurate one, this will prevent a player with a bad
connection from becoming a sandbagger unintentionally.

Cheers,

Mef

Nick Wedd

Aug 3, 2006, 5:54:07 PM8/3/06
In message <eatepr$uk4$1...@online.de>, To ja Wento <wen...@hate.spam>
writes

>You lose the game during a tournament if you come late or leave early
>due to whatever reason (girlfriend called or house fire or whatever).
>It is maybe not fair to you but there are others that are affected -
>look beyond the end of your own nose - why should your oponent wait for
>resumption of the game/result if you have a connection problem? 5
>minutes is a fair deal. There are turn based game servers out there
>where the connection quality is not a problem.

There is also KGS, which is more tolerant of connection problems, and
can distinguish them from habitual escaping.

Jeff Nowakowski

Aug 3, 2006, 6:45:00 PM8/3/06
Nick Wedd wrote:
> There is also KGS, which is more tolerant of connection problems, and
> can distinguish them from habitual escaping.

If your connection is bad enough that you get too many unfinished games
even KGS will label you as an escaper. I actually ran into one of these
players once; he apologised during the game for having a bad connection,
lost his connection several times, and eventually the game was marked as
forfeited. Honestly, if your connection is that bad you shouldn't
bother playing.

Personally, I like IGS's policy for it's simplicity, but the KGS policy
works fine too. Both are fine especially when compared to Yahoo, which
is how this thread got started.

-Jeff