Christian Go?

1 view

skeptic

May 13, 2006, 4:11:59 PM5/13/06
Has anyone invented a Christian improvement to Go? I ask because there are,
for example, Christian martial arts schools which emphasize civility and
forgiveness, as opposed to the Asian martial arts which emphasize killing
and self-worship through meditation.

I was just wondering, because Go is such a violent game whose goal is to
gouge out both of your opponent's eyes rather than letting them live.

Jeff Nowakowski

May 13, 2006, 4:27:13 PM5/13/06
skeptic wrote:
> Has anyone invented a Christian improvement to Go? I ask because there are,
> for example, Christian martial arts schools which emphasize civility and
> forgiveness, as opposed to the Asian martial arts which emphasize killing
> and self-worship through meditation.

Yes, there's a version of Go where you allow your opponent infinite
"undo's". Trolls play it.

-Jeff

skeptic

May 13, 2006, 4:32:41 PM5/13/06
I was just wondering if someone had come up with an improvement. As it
stands, the game is all about gouging out your opponent's eyes and killing
the cripple.

Michael Alford

May 13, 2006, 5:20:28 PM5/13/06

You have no clue.

BEAR

May 13, 2006, 5:38:54 PM5/13/06
Actually, it is about getting fools, trolls and nare-do-wells to post on
rgg.
At least that is one theory.

_-_-bear

ro...@telus.net

May 13, 2006, 9:01:46 PM5/13/06

?? How strong are you? You don't seem to understand the game well
enough to be concluding that it is boring.

-- Roy L

skeptic

May 13, 2006, 9:23:26 PM5/13/06

<ro...@telus.net> wrote in message

Do I have to be strong? Should I force myself to play it for 30 years
before I am "allowed" to conclude it is boring? Or if something does not
strike me as interesting from early on, is it ok to follow my first
impression?

Gohst @

May 13, 2006, 9:55:53 PM5/13/06
It's fine to follow your first impression. If you do not like the game,
you will never want to play enough to get stronger in the first place.

- Gohst

gowan4

May 13, 2006, 11:10:58 PM5/13/06
You are welcome to conclude anything you like for yourself, but don't
try to characterize the game based on your own opinion. And your
description of it shows you don't understand it well enough to have an
opinion. By your standards I am entitled to believe that the christian
bible is simply an accumulation of myths and those who take it as
revealed truth are just dupes.

Paul Du Bois

May 13, 2006, 11:32:19 PM5/13/06
Who is the more troll-ish? The troll or the troll who trolls him?

John

May 13, 2006, 11:48:22 PM5/13/06
On Sat, 13 May 2006 20:32:41 GMT, "skeptic" <ske...@igs.com> wrote:

If any "improvements" were made, it would not be Go. I would suggest
chess, but that is all about two armies attempting to kill the
opposing king - not very christian either. There's always Pente...

Not to get off on a tangent or anything, but the bible is full of
violence. I wonder if anyone can make improvements to this book; it's
all about wars, murder, and rape.

In fact, here is a quote from Judges 19. I apologize for the length
but I did not want to be accused of taking anything out of context.

Judges 19
A Levite and His Concubine

In those days Israel had no king.

Now a Levite who lived in a remote area in the hill country of Ephraim
took a concubine from Bethlehem in Judah. But she was unfaithful to
him. She left him and went back to her father's house in Bethlehem,
Judah. After she had been there four months, her husband went to her
to persuade her to return. He had with him his servant and two
donkeys. She took him into her father's house, and when her father saw
him, he gladly welcomed him. His father-in-law, the girl's father,
prevailed upon him to stay; so he remained with him three days, eating
and drinking, and sleeping there.

On the fourth day they got up early and he prepared to leave, but the
girl's father said to his son-in-law, "Refresh yourself with something
to eat; then you can go." So the two of them sat down to eat and drink
together. Afterward the girl's father said, "Please stay tonight and
enjoy yourself." And when the man got up to go, his father-in-law
persuaded him, so he stayed there that night. On the morning of the
fifth day, when he rose to go, the girl's father said, "Refresh
yourself. Wait till afternoon!" So the two of them ate together.

Then when the man, with his concubine and his servant, got up to
leave, his father-in-law, the girl's father, said, "Now look, it's
almost evening. Spend the night here; the day is nearly over. Stay and
enjoy yourself. Early tomorrow morning you can get up and be on your
way home." But, unwilling to stay another night, the man left and went
toward Jebus (that is, Jerusalem), with his two saddled donkeys and
his concubine.

When they were near Jebus and the day was almost gone, the servant
said to his master, "Come, let's stop at this city of the Jebusites
and spend the night."

His master replied, "No. We won't go into an alien city, whose people
are not Israelites. We will go on to Gibeah." He added, "Come, let's
try to reach Gibeah or Ramah and spend the night in one of those
places." So they went on, and the sun set as they neared Gibeah in
Benjamin. There they stopped to spend the night. They went and sat in
the city square, but no one took them into his home for the night.

That evening an old man from the hill country of Ephraim, who was
living in Gibeah (the men of the place were Benjamites), came in from
his work in the fields. When he looked and saw the traveler in the
city square, the old man asked, "Where are you going? Where did you
come from?"

He answered, "We are on our way from Bethlehem in Judah to a remote
area in the hill country of Ephraim where I live. I have been to
Bethlehem in Judah and now I am going to the house of the LORD. No one
has taken me into his house. We have both straw and fodder for our
donkeys and bread and wine for ourselves your servants洋e, your
maidservant, and the young man with us. We don't need anything."

"You are welcome at my house," the old man said. "Let me supply
whatever you need. Only don't spend the night in the square." So he
took him into his house and fed his donkeys. After they had washed
their feet, they had something to eat and drink.

While they were enjoying themselves, some of the wicked men of the
city surrounded the house. Pounding on the door, they shouted to the
old man who owned the house, "Bring out the man who came to your house
so we can have sex with him."

The owner of the house went outside and said to them, "No, my friends,
don't be so vile. Since this man is my guest, don't do this
disgraceful thing. Look, here is my virgin daughter, and his
concubine. I will bring them out to you now, and you can use them and
do to them whatever you wish. But to this man, don't do such a
disgraceful thing."

But the men would not listen to him. So the man took his concubine and
sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout
the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went
back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door
and lay there until daylight.

When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house
and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine,
fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold.
He said to her, "Get up; let's go." But there was no answer. Then the
man put her on his donkey and set out for home.

When he reached home, he took a knife and cut up his concubine, limb
by limb, into twelve parts and sent them into all the areas of Israel.
Everyone who saw it said, "Such a thing has never been seen or done,
not since the day the Israelites came up out of Egypt. Think about it!
Consider it! Tell us what to do!"

gra...@gmail.com

May 14, 2006, 2:10:23 AM5/14/06
Go is anything but violent. Quite often opposing players work in a bit
of a harmony in order to achieve an end result that is hopefully
beneficial to them. Yes - there are "winners" and "losers" - but
Christianity has winners and losers also (those who accept Christ as
their savior and those who don't). And, given that Christians accept
the Pentateuch and other portions of the Torah as the Biblical word of
God, the violent portions of the Old "Covenant" are part of their
religion and literature.

I suppose I'm wasting my typing here, because you're possibly incapable
of separating the metaphorical eye from the literal eye. If so, you
might possibly believe that donkeys talk, for it is written:

"...the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the
prophet. " 2 Peter 2.16 (KJV)

Thurisaz

May 14, 2006, 2:44:51 AM5/14/06
skeptic:

> Has anyone invented a Christian improvement to Go? I ask because there
> are, for example, Christian martial arts schools which emphasize civility
> and forgiveness, as opposed to the Asian martial arts which emphasize
> killing and self-worship through meditation.

Really? Where (outside the fantasy world of jebus cult fanatics) are those
schools?

I know that style. Braindead fundamentalists commonly use it. Damn, until
now (even though I rarely ever post something here) I enjoyed the fact that
this ng was fundie-free.
I guess I should have known better. Sometime someone was bound to come here
to babble nonsense how the jebus-centered death cult is sooo good for the
world.

(No offense meant to those christians who reject the absurdities of
literalist christian dogma. I know that you are okay - my disgust is solely
aimed at those twits who hurl around shit like "gawd was just in killing
all those innocent newborns in da fludd(TM) et cetera" or "da wholly babble
is literal truth from beginning to end, despite it clearly describing a
flat earth, talking snakes and donkeys and whathaveyou")

BTW even if Go was a game of "killing and self-worship", so what? Who gets
hurt by two people placing black and white stones on a piece of wood?

--
Thurisaz, Germanic barbarian who abuses Gobans to play Hnefatafl on them...

Denis Feldmann

May 14, 2006, 3:36:44 AM5/14/06
skeptic a écrit :

> I was just wondering if someone had come up with an improvement. As it
> stands, the game is all about gouging out your opponent's eyes and killing
> the cripple.

Bad trolling. Knowing a little more about go could improve it. For
instance, you could make fun of the accounting and boring qualities
needed in the end game, and so typical of ugly sinners (avarice, for
instant)

Aidan Karley

May 14, 2006, 4:40:53 AM5/14/06
In article <j4r9g.70369$_S7....@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, Skeptic
wrote:

> I was just wondering, because Go is such a violent game whose goal is to
> gouge out both of your opponent's eyes rather than letting them live.

Sounds to me like the "Anagram Troll" has paid us a visit, without even
bothering to leave us with the puzzle of working out the anagram in his
name.

--
Aidan Karley,
Aberdeen, Scotland

skeptic

May 14, 2006, 7:09:35 AM5/14/06

"gowan4" <gow...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

If I'm not mistaken, the "strong" Go players are proud of winning more often
than "weak" players, by gouging out their eyes and killing crippled groups
more often. The stronger the Go player, the more they will slam stones down
on the board and act impatient, waiting for the weak player to give up. Is
it desirable to make a life goal out of working one's way up this chain of
bullying?

skeptic

May 14, 2006, 7:10:39 AM5/14/06

"John" <te...@test.com> wrote in message

> If any "improvements" were made, it would not be Go. I would suggest
> chess, but that is all about two armies attempting to kill the
> opposing king - not very christian either. There's always Pente...
>
> Not to get off on a tangent or anything, but the bible is full of
> violence. I wonder if anyone can make improvements to this book; it's
> all about wars, murder, and rape.
>
> In fact, here is a quote from Judges 19. I apologize for the length
> but I did not want to be accused of taking anything out of context.

Yes, the Old Testament is Go-like in its mentality. I was wondering if
there is an equivalent of a New Testament of Go?

richard mullens

May 14, 2006, 8:41:24 AM5/14/06

What you describe is not Go. If this has happened to you, then you should pray that God forgives them.

ro...@telus.net

May 14, 2006, 1:30:40 PM5/14/06

You probably think it boring and frustrating because you don't
understand it -- like trying to have a conversation in a foreign
language you don't understand.

-- Roy L

gra...@gmail.com

May 14, 2006, 1:48:05 PM5/14/06
I suppose you could always think of one color as believers and the
other as non-believers. You goal is to spread the good word to as much
area as possible before the end days. You can convert others by
completely surrounding them and bombarding them with the good news, at
which point they are raptured and taken from the board. When all things
have come to pass, a final account is taken of all those who remain.
Those who have gone before are also brought forward and accounted for.

One interesting technique when attempting to save a set of stones is to
provide a sacrificial lamb. It dies so that others might live.

There. Happy?

To ja Wento

May 14, 2006, 4:15:25 PM5/14/06
gra...@gmail.com wrote:

And this is one smart reply in this ocean of nonsense.
Thank you. I do not know whether you play well or not but at
least you spent some thought on what the game might be and
in this way extended our understanding or reality.
Interesting is of course that your described christian way
of playing may have an alternative that is as christian as
the crusaders - spreading the word with fire and sword :)

//

--
we are all genius
until we say "oh my gawd!"

gra...@gmail.com

May 15, 2006, 12:50:51 AM5/15/06
Thanks. This was predominately sartorial, but the original question
seemed to be so asinine that I really couldn't help but be sarcastic.

ro...@telus.net

May 15, 2006, 7:48:25 AM5/15/06
On 14 May 2006 10:48:05 -0700, "gra...@gmail.com" <gra...@gmail.com>
wrote:

lol! Well done!

-- Roy L

Orne Batmagoo

May 15, 2006, 9:33:43 AM5/15/06
gowan4 wrote:
> By your standards I am entitled to believe that the christian
> bible is simply an accumulation of myths and those who take it as
> revealed truth are just dupes.

I don't know whether go can be improved, but this is certainly an
improvement upon what some people believe.

--
Orne Batmagoo
a.k.a. "Rich Brown"

Peterium

May 15, 2006, 4:11:11 PM5/15/06
I'd say the Christian way to improve in Go is to follow Jesus, to
purposely get yourself killed, then live again.

-

May 15, 2006, 6:10:11 PM5/15/06

"Peterium" <power...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd say the Christian way to improve in Go is to follow Jesus,
> to purposely get yourself killed, then live again.

Not easy: you must do nothing wrong and only by inaction allow
the establishment to drift into a grand conspiracy to pronounce you
a guilty criminal. Moreover you would need to persuade 12 men to
abandon their former lifestyle for patient instruction in foot washing.
You would also be describing the means for your own undoing as
if none other have any wherewithall for independent free thinking.
You would facilitate healing of "impossible" conditions, perhaps
bring the dead back to life. You would need to work hard, even
on holidays, accomplish miracles, be perfect in every way, and
still encounter the majority who do not believe you. By humble
example you become more famous than the greatest emperors.

- regards
- jb

Scores:

Christian Go (25)
Skeptics Improvements to Go (3)
Fascists Improvements to Go (1)
Capitalist Improvements to Go (13)
Muslim/Islamic Improvements to Go (4)
Nihilist Improvements to Go (2)
Communist/Marxist Improvements to Go (4)
Buddhist Improvements to Go (2)
Zen Improvements to Go (3)

cousi...@gmail.com

May 16, 2006, 5:02:20 AM5/16/06
So I would think that if one has risen from the dead, that ONE would
have ALL power! hmmmm, interesting since I've been following ONE that
way for almost 30 years now.. (And I don't reguard myself as stupid!)
But wiser for it...... but I can understand one can't know what they
can't see...

Paul Du Bois

May 17, 2006, 2:16:30 AM5/17/06
> This was predominately sartorial,

What do clothes have to do with it?

gra...@gmail.com

May 17, 2006, 3:49:50 PM5/17/06
Oops! Guess my smell checker got me there... (satirical for anyone who
couldn't deduce that for themselves).