Club ladder software

Joss Wright

Dec 6, 2005, 12:10:04 PM12/6/05
Hi all,

Recently, I was involved with setting up a university Go club. The club is
now up and running, with quite a number of members totally new to the
game.

Having covered the rules sufficiently for people to start playing games,
we're interested in setting up a club ladder to keep track of who is
improving, and what handicaps people should be giving each other.

I've looked around, but the only software I can see to handle a club
ladder is AccelRat. I'm sure it works very well, but I wondered if there
were any equivalent pieces of software out there. (Preferably free and
running under Linux, although this isn't a necessity.)

If such software doesn't exist, do any club organizers have tips for
running an effective club ladder? Any information would be greatly
appreciated (even links to algorithms/papers would be of interest).

Thanks a lot!

Joss

peter allen

Dec 6, 2005, 1:08:32 PM12/6/05

Joss Wright

Dec 6, 2005, 2:23:51 PM12/6/05
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 10:08:32 -0800, peter allen wrote:

> This might interest you: http://www.dur.ac.uk/go.club/ranking.php

Thanks! Definitely a good place to start.

You're not from the Durham club are you? It's just that the club I'm
referring to is York University club (UK). It's close enough that perhaps
at some future point the two clubs could... ummm... do something. In
roughly the same space and time. To do with Go.

Anyway. Thanks for the link.

Joss

peter allen

Dec 7, 2005, 3:22:28 AM12/7/05

> You're not from the Durham club are you?

Nope - Liverpool, UK.

The people at Durham have always been very friendly though. If you use
KGS look me up in the British Room, i play on there as "excession"

Thomas Juergensen

Dec 7, 2005, 6:28:52 AM12/7/05
Hi Joss,
You might also consider this program:

http://www.cgerlach.de/macmahon.html

I find it very easy to use (its a windows program).

Regards, Thomas

ian

Dec 7, 2005, 6:38:35 AM12/7/05

Thomas Juergensen wrote:
> Hi Joss,
> You might also consider this program:
>
> http://www.cgerlach.de/macmahon.html
>
> I find it very easy to use (its a windows program).

This is a very good program for pairings in McMahon tournaments.
However the original question was about some software to operate a club
ladder - that is: something like GoR, a rating or ranking system
internal to the club

MIND GO Club

Dec 16, 2005, 11:35:36 AM12/16/05

Try this link and idea, it has won a prize in Europe:
http://www.go-centre.nl/index.php?page=award/projects_second_edition/project_ratinglist.html
Not a software but a useful idea.

Mind Go Club
www.go-mind.com

Joss Wright

Dec 16, 2005, 11:56:12 AM12/16/05
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:35:36 -0800, MIND GO Club wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try this link and idea, it has won a prize in Europe:

> http://www.go-centre.nl/index.php?page=award/projects \

> _second_edition/project_ratinglist.html
> Not a software but a useful idea.
>
> Mind Go Club
> www.go-mind.com

Hi,

Thank you for the link. One of the stronger players at our club had
suggested a similar idea, based on the scheme they used at his old club. I
think the bright colours will appeal to the undergraduates as well!

For a quick solution, I've started throwing together a quick Ruby/GTK
program that will work in the same way. In the long term it might be worth
writing a more polished program that implements a similar solution to that
used by Go servers. There is an interesting discussion of these algorithms
at http://senseis.xmp.net/?UGSRankingSystem.

Thank you to everyone for the responses.

Joss

ian

Dec 16, 2005, 1:49:28 PM12/16/05
heh that reminds me, tom ford of cambridge go club wrote something in
ruby that was a club ladder too. Think he's still at the club too ...