This time don't ruin the thread: Post Stories, funny situations, famous last words. . .

Mike

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

I enjoy reading them as much as the next person, so start a new thread
if you want to discuss thermodynamics vs. the power of a GM in a
universe that may not follow the same rules.

Thanks,

Mike

Jay Bryant

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

I nearly posted this one to the previous thread, but it doesn't involve any
"famous last words." Now that you've opened it to just funny situations....

A pair of halfling mages supported by some warrior types have chased some
bandits back to their hideout - an easily defended cabin in a canyon.
Rather than get picked off by archers as they charge, they give it some
thought (it's a seasoned group). One halfling mage can teleport and create
fire, so he figures to teleport onto the cabin's roof and set it on fire.
If all goes well, the bandits will eventually be forced out, to become
target's for the party's own arrows.

Anyway, the first spell goes well, so friend halfling teleports onto the
roof. The next spell is a critical failure and causes the ill-fortuned mage
1 point of damage. Our hapless hero has Low Pain Threshold, so he rolls
against HT, misses, and passes out. He rolls down the roof and onto the
porch. The bandits promptly run out and drag the mage into the cabin.

Suddenly we had a whole new adventure.

We still chuckle over that one now and again.

Mike <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote in article
<356B7AEB...@nowhere.com>...

Lance

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

Mike wrote:

> I enjoy reading them as much as the next person, so start a new thread
> if you want to discuss thermodynamics vs. the power of a GM in a
> universe that may not follow the same rules.
>
> Thanks,

So I was walking down the street one day, dressed as usual, khaki
pants,SJG 1, Secret Service 0 T-shirt. There was a funny breeze at just
about three
feet off the ground, 'cause I had a cool sensation just at crotch level.
Anyway,
I spotted a buddy of mine, and what d'ya know, his fly's unzipped. I
calls out
"hey xyz, buddyro!" Laugh, I though I'd die. Why that breeze didn't tip
him I'll
never know.

Whatever you do, don't comment on anything amusing about my post,
though, unless it is just to say "hey, that geezer sure was funny, not
noticing
and all." See, the point was, _he_ was funny.

(Personally, I don't think I'd be able to stop myself.)

--
Lance Berg
http://empyre.net

Thomas Fadigan

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

At the end of one adventure the PC's were faced with a bad ass demon.
Standing over 20 feet high, lizard like body, but bi-pedal and a salamander
like head. Hissing as it spoke it said, "And now you will die!" The plan
was, this thing would teleport into the group and attack five times, once
with each tentacle and a bite. This thing was enormous and would be right
on top of them. Well I rolled the teleport, which he did instaneously and
blam I rolled an 18!!! Oh NO! I ruled that it was stunned for one turn.
Well after the players got done laughing they preceded to mow the thing
down! By the next round the thing was standing on the brink of death!

Hate when a climatic moment is ruined by a craptacular die roll!

Craig Ichabod O'Brien

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

Not exactly last words...

This party in my last campaign gets ambushed. One the men, Gerrund, has
magic resistance at 10, which in a fantasy setting means he usually
starts each session at 2 hits. Anyway, during the ambush, heavily
wounded, he is charging across the battle. He yells out "Surrender
or Die!", fails a HT roll, and immediately passess out.

My other favorite was "It's not genocide. We missed one."

These are on my web page, www.cstone.net/~ichabod/snipes.html.

------- "The Crossing-guard of Mordor" -------
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien Remove spamblock to reply by email
Assistant Editor, Iron Crown Enterprises Me:CCG Official Netrep
http://www.cstone.net/~ichabod/ Alternate Official Me:CCG Website
------- "We shall pick up an existence by its frogs" -Fort -------

Randy Buttram

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

Thomas Fadigan wrote in message <6kh40p$4...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

Had one like that ourselves, in a different game system vs a dragon. Dragon
teleports into the midst of the party (GM expected us to scatter). Party
jumps the critter (in this system, it was one action per turn and the
teleport was the dragon's). No one is doing any damage, until the LAST blow
of the round, from a warrior's two-handed sword. Critical hit, dead beastie.
The funny thing was the GM's reaction: "I'm pissed."

Incanus

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

Thomas Fadigan <mo...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> At the end of one adventure the PC's were faced with a bad ass demon.
> Standing over 20 feet high, lizard like body, but bi-pedal and a salamander
> like head. Hissing as it spoke it said, "And now you will die!" The plan
> was, this thing would teleport into the group and attack five times, once
> with each tentacle and a bite. This thing was enormous and would be right
> on top of them. Well I rolled the teleport, which he did instaneously and
> blam I rolled an 18!!! Oh NO! I ruled that it was stunned for one turn.
> Well after the players got done laughing they preceded to mow the thing
> down! By the next round the thing was standing on the brink of death!
>
> Hate when a climatic moment is ruined by a craptacular die roll!

That's why you never roll such important rolls in public. Throw the dice
behind a screen, or don't roll at all.

--
Incanus: inc...@bigfoot.com
Personal Web page: http://incanus.home.ml.org

K. Ulstein

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

Gurps Supers

It was a hot day, and we were in a cramped apartment. I had stayed up
all night reading my new copy of GURPS Supers. My players began
shareing the book while I tried to convince them that GURPS was a
wonderful system.

After three hours of generating characters our team of All American
Superheros, had been assembled. The All American Superheros were:

Pheonix -- An All American do gooder who wanted to fight crime with
his super powers. Although his heart was in the right place he had
some problems with his super powers. Phoenix was envisioned as a 20
foot tall man, clothed in fire, able to fly across the night sky and
burn away evildooers with a single wave of his flaming hammer. He was
also the Team's leader, able to rally the troups with the "Phoenix
signal" (ala batman).

Unfortunately Phonix had many problems. First of all, he didn't have
enough character points. The first thing to go was the skills. Phoenix
didn't have any. Then his giant stature was stripped of increased
move, strength, and DR. The Phoenix Fireball was downsized to a paltry
4d6 flame blast. Worst of all the Phoenix had to take extra time to
fly. Specificly he had to run and jump for just over two miniutes
before he could jump into the air.
In a final killing blow, the phoenix could only use his flame
blast when flying. As GM I encouraged the player to consolidate his
points into a few useful powers and ordered him to buy some skills. So
at a cost of some IQ the character gained a driving skill.
You may be asking yourself, "Where did all the points go?" The
answer is that the Phoenix had the amazing ability to blowup and kill
everything in a huge area. This ability was only usable durring
his death. This actualy proved useful because the GM couldn't let him
die anywhere near the other PCs or else the campaign would end.

Henrique -- An All American Evildoer. Right off the bat the character
concept was not quite right for the the super team, so I agreed to let
him play as the bad guy. He stacked up his character as a super
asassin complete with deadly sniper rifles, and an all 20
Characteristic lineup.

Leia -- A French Hobo who liked Cabbages. She could also hack into
government files using a new fangled device called a 'modem.' She
wasn't realy an All American Hero though.

Tut -- An Ancient Mummy who rose from the grave. Tut could burn very
hot, shoot fire and fly.

Wraith -- Another dead guy. His purpose in afterlife was to die or get
reborn. As part of his eternal damnation he was perpetualy desolid and
camoflauged with chamelion. The only way for him to affect the
physical world was by talking.

Since only one of the team members was an American. The All
American Super team was renamed "Team Zed." Of course everyone in Team
Zed knew that the name 'Team Zed' was pathetic so they tried to change
it at many of their meetings but to no avail.

So anyway, here I am with a bunch of GURPS hating players with serious
character problems. They take a vote and decide that they want to
start playing NOW or they go back to Marvel.

The phoenix is the first to begin. The phoenix is flying over Chicago
looking for crime. Through the darkness of night, he sees an explosion
from within a reputable bank. He swoops down and lands on top of a
biulding across the street so he can get a better view.

Right on cue, the masked men rush out of the bank holding bags full of
(stolen) money. They jump into their get away car and the Phoenix
makes his move.

Waving his firy hamer, the Phoenix shouts "Stop, or you will face the
wrath of the Phoenix!" The crooks speed off in their car.

The Phoenix can only use his flame blast when he is flying so he jumps
off of the biulding. "Oh drat!" Peter shouts. "I have to run
and jump for two miniutes before I can fly!" I assure the Peter that
a two story fall onto pavement isn't automaticaly fatal especialy if
you have DR.

As I search for the rules on falling damage. Peter realizes
that the Phoenix has no DR. Sweat breaks out on the players
brow. He furiously reads thorugh his garbled character sheet untill...

"Aha!" he shouts. "How tall am I?" I explain that his growth power
allows him to be any size from normal size to two stories tall. "And
how tall is the biulding?" he asks.

Since the biulding is also two stories high, he lands safe as you
please. Unfortunately he isn't fast enough to catch the crooks. But he
resumes his search for crime.

Meanwhile Leia the french Hobo has been chased out of her favorate
Cabbage store by Government Goons. Fearing for her life she uses the
Museum's phone lines to hack into government files.

The Wraith and the Mummy rise from their graves (which have been
disturbed and are about to become a main attraction in the Museum of
Natural History). The Wraith smarts off to the Mummy, and the Mummy
uses his 12d6 fire blast. The wraith is desolid (and unharmed) but the
rest of the Museum storeroom catches on fire.

The Fire attracts the attention of the Phoenix and he bounds to the
Museum, smashes in the door and kills the security guards. Then he
finds Leia and tries to scare information out of her. She knocks him
down and runs away. As she flees she hears the Wraith and Mummy
shouting for help. The Mummy takes some quirks (likes his sacred
knife, doesn't like damp places, only wears mummification when dead or
very sick) and learns to speak American English. ("I wrote it in ink"
the player protested "so I can't erase it!")

The Phoenix uses his high Intimidation skill (derived from strength)
to asemble the All American Superheros.

Two Chicago Police arrive to check the place out and order Team Zed
to surrender. The Phoenix shouts "I am the Phoenix" and grows to giant
size while waving his flaming hammer. The Mummy misunderstands the
Phoenix and follows his new commander into battle by burning away one
of the officers.

The Phoenix gets shot and almost dies (thanks to no DR). In self
defense he pounds the Cop into a lifeles goo. Then more cops arrive
and set up a defensive line with their cop cars. They order everyone
to come out and surrender.

Team Zed agrees on a secret hiding place and runs away except for the
Phoenix who goes to negotiate.

Having learned from past lessons the Phoenix grows to giant size
shouts "I come in peace!" and THEN shouts "I am the Phoenix" while
growing to giant size and waving his flaming hammer in the air.

The cops ask him to surrender and he refuses. He claims that he can
explode and destroy Chicago (which he can) and the Cops ask him to
leave. "No!" the Phoenix shouts waving his hammer in the air. "I'm an
American and I'll surrender as long as I get a fair trial. I'm an
honest law abiding citizen and I have nothing to fear from a court of
law."

"Phoenix!" shouts the head policeman through the microphone. "I
appriciate your integraty. I will personaly see to it that your writ
of habius corpus is honored. Since there are security cameras inside
there is no chance of a faulty verdict."

"Well!" The Phoenix shouts, waving his flaming hammer. "I can see
that you don't want me here so I'm going to leave now."

"Don't you want your fair trial?" the officer asks incredulously.

"No I'm an outcast, you humans will never accept me into your society.
I only wanted to help make America strong [my voice is fading as I
walk away] and safe for the children ... and God bless ... Apple Pie
... each generation could be ... "

The Cops let him escape because they don't realy want to fight the
Phoenix. After all, thats what the national guard is for.

So at the end of the first game session, the super team gathers in
their secret apartment and discusses plans.

The Phoenix (as the leader) sets the agenda. "We have to leave
Chicago. We arn't wanted here."

The other characters point out that the Phoenix is the one who killed
the Security guards and ordered the death of the two police officers
and then identified himself to a whole bunch of police, threatened to
destroy chicago and then resisted arrest. They also point to the news
brief that shows the concerted effort to capture or kill the Phoenix.

"To hell with you then!" The Phonix shouts waving his hammer angrly.
"I'm going to Texas to stop crime and there isn't anything you can do
to stop me." And with that the Phoenix jumped around for two miniutes
and flew out the window.

The rest of Team Zed talked it over, they bought a Semi-Truck and
emblazoned it with the Team Zed logo. Then they set out to find the
Phoenix. Team Zed and the Phoenix were traveling along the same road
the question was could the truck catch up in time?

Peter: How fast can I fly anyway?

Me: What is your flight skill? Did you get super speed like I told
you, or are you stuck with the cheep version?

Peter: What's super speed?

Me: The Phoenix is flying from Chicago to Austin Texas at (mumble
mumble) 20 miles per hour.

Team Zed:<laughing> Beep beep! Get out of the road!

Make way! horce and buggy commin though!

Ooh! Look daddy! It's a balloon! Can we go back and get it please?

It's a bird, its a water tower, no its the Phoenix!

Try waving your hammer faster!

Faster than a speeding turtle,
More powerful than the three amegos,
Able to leap with concerted effort!
It's the Phoenix!

Next time: The Phoenix is tricked into destroying a farm. Team Zed
continualy fails perception rolls to see the Wraith. Everyone
gets 50 character points so they won't be so pathetic.

____----------____
Kenji Ulstein http://weber.u.washington.edu/~kenhar

A knot is never "nearly right"; it is either exactly right
or it is hopelessly wrong...
-Clifford W. Ashley

Matthew J Wilson

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

"K. Ulstein" <ken...@u.washington.edu> writes:

>Gurps Supers

>It was a hot day, and we were in a cramped apartment. I had stayed up
>all night reading my new copy of GURPS Supers. My players began
>shareing the book while I tried to convince them that GURPS was a
>wonderful system.

<Snip the actual story>

That was beautiful. :)

--
Matt.

Brett Slocum

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

The Illuminated Masters let "K. Ulstein" <ken...@u.washington.edu> write:

>Pheonix --

> You may be asking yourself, "Where did all the points go?" The
>answer is that the Phoenix had the amazing ability to blowup and kill
>everything in a huge area. This ability was only usable durring
>his death. This actualy proved useful because the GM couldn't let him
>die anywhere near the other PCs or else the campaign would end.

I love it. A character who spent all his points on something he'll only use
once and then end the campaign. And a player who won't listen to GM
suggestions.

>Henrique -- An All American Evildoer. Right off the bat the character
>concept was not quite right for the the super team, so I agreed to let
>him play as the bad guy. He stacked up his character as a super
>asassin complete with deadly sniper rifles, and an all 20
>Characteristic lineup.

And a player who can't build a superhero, only supervillians.

>Leia -- A French Hobo who liked Cabbages. She could also hack into
>government files using a new fangled device called a 'modem.' She
>wasn't realy an All American Hero though.

A non-super hacker. Hmm. Which game was she playing? Cyberpunk?

>Tut -- An Ancient Mummy who rose from the grave. Tut could burn very
>hot, shoot fire and fly.

Not a bad character concept, except I thought mummies burned in fire.

>Wraith -- Another dead guy. His purpose in afterlife was to die or get
>reborn. As part of his eternal damnation he was perpetualy desolid and
>camoflauged with chamelion. The only way for him to affect the
>physical world was by talking.

And a superhero who can't do anything, but talk. I've read comics like this.

>Since only one of the team members was an American. The All
>American Super team was renamed "Team Zed." Of course everyone in Team
>Zed knew that the name 'Team Zed' was pathetic so they tried to change
>it at many of their meetings but to no avail.

I'd love to have transcripts of the team meetings. Musta been a hoot.

>Peter: How fast can I fly anyway?
>
>Me: What is your flight skill? Did you get super speed like I told
>you, or are you stuck with the cheep version?
>
>Peter: What's super speed?
>
>Me: The Phoenix is flying from Chicago to Austin Texas at (mumble
>mumble) 20 miles per hour.

ROFL! Take the bus, man!

Jamey Johnston

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

> >Tut -- An Ancient Mummy who rose from the grave. Tut could
burn very
> >hot, shoot fire and fly.

> Not a bad character concept, except I thought mummies burned
in fire.

> >Wraith -- Another dead guy. His purpose in afterlife was to

die or get
> >reborn. As part of his eternal damnation he was perpetualy
desolid and
> >camoflauged with chamelion. The only way for him to affect
the
> >physical world was by talking.

> And a superhero who can't do anything, but talk. I've read
comics like this.

The dead superhero I played was named Captain Cadaver.

Bruce L. Grubb

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

In article <356d8525....@news.io.com>, slo...@io.com (Brett Slocum) wrote:

>The Illuminated Masters let "K. Ulstein" <ken...@u.washington.edu> write:
>

>>Henrique -- An All American Evildoer. Right off the bat the character
>>concept was not quite right for the the super team, so I agreed to let
>>him play as the bad guy. He stacked up his character as a super
>>asassin complete with deadly sniper rifles, and an all 20
>>Characteristic lineup.
>

>And a player who can't build a superhero, only supervillians.

Could also fit into the anit-hero mold - ala the 1930's Shadow or the
modern day Punisher. I would like to remind people that Wolverine started
out as a villian and Magneto has been on both sides of the street

>>Leia -- A French Hobo who liked Cabbages. She could also hack into
>>government files using a new fangled device called a 'modem.' She
>>wasn't realy an All American Hero though.
>

>A non-super hacker. Hmm. Which game was she playing? Cyberpunk?

And what about 'Oracle' (Barbra Gordon)? She is an important but non
visable part of Batman's information network who is also used by other
Superheroes.
The JLA goes to her when they need information.

>>Tut -- An Ancient Mummy who rose from the grave. Tut could burn very
>>hot, shoot fire and fly.
>

>Not a bad character concept, except I thought mummies burned in fire.

Only some mummies burn, the Mummies Alive mummies don't for example.

>>Peter: How fast can I fly anyway?
>>
>>Me: What is your flight skill? Did you get super speed like I told
>>you, or are you stuck with the cheep version?
>>
>>Peter: What's super speed?
>>
>>Me: The Phoenix is flying from Chicago to Austin Texas at (mumble
>>mumble) 20 miles per hour.
>

>ROFL! Take the bus, man!

Justise League Antartica candidate.

"The reason Evil will be victorious is because Good is so stupid" -
parafraze of Dark Helmet in _Spaceballs_

Peter Meilinger

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

Jamey Johnston (jam...@SPAMcounty.SPAMorg) wrote:

: The dead superhero I played was named Captain Cadaver.

This is a job for ... Captain Cadaver!! No, I just don't see it catching
on.

I played a lawyer who'd been killed by the mob and brought back by
Voodoo. Called himself Revenant and introduced himself as "the only
good lawyer."

Pete

Xiphias Gladius

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

Okay, what I want to know is, how did the Phoenix *know* he would blow up
if he died? I mean, how do you discover something like that?

"Well, I had a heart attack. I was clinically dead for three minutes,
but I was revived by a severe shock. When I came back, the entire
hospital was a flaming crater . . . "

- Ian

Xiphias Gladius

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

bgr...@zianet.com (Bruce L. Grubb) writes:

>In article <356d8525....@news.io.com>, slo...@io.com (Brett Slocum) wrote:

>>The Illuminated Masters let "K. Ulstein" <ken...@u.washington.edu> write:

>>>Me: The Phoenix is flying from Chicago to Austin Texas at (mumble
>>>mumble) 20 miles per hour.
>>

>>ROFL! Take the bus, man!

>Justise League Antartica candidate.

See, obviously the problem is that the GM was putting his players up
against the wrong opposition.

I'd like to see Team Zed up against Mister Nebula, Cosmic Designer. I
think the Wraith could confound Nebula -- "Hmm. . . I think you'd look
better in paisley! Drat! You're still invisibly camoflauged! That is
*so* Eighties!"

- Ian

Juergen Hubert

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

We were playing Palladium, and were using the world of Warhammer.
At sometime during the Doomstones campaign, my Warlock (=Elementarist,
in this case Fire & Earth) was travelling with two dwarves during an
extremely... chaotic area. Attractions included, for example, a lake
that was frozen in mid-summer. When we were walking next to that lake,
my Warlock, who was a bit behind the others, was very surpised when a
cold of earth with a diameter of roughly 10 yards suddenly rose up 50
yards high from the ground. Unfortunately, my warlock was _on_ that
clod...

So he pondered how to get off. At first, he decided to wait it out, but
when the evening came, the clod still hadn't sunk. Meanwhile, one of
the dwarves (who were a bit impatient - after all, we were supposed to
be saving the world, and not watch some dirt fly), decided to build a
pit which he then filled with "soft earth" and twigs (not many), and
then pronounced it "perfectly survivable" for my warlock to jump into.
Naturally, my warlock was doubting that, and therefore he decided on
_his_ plan:

As a 9th level earth/fire warlock, he was able to cast "Wall of Iron",
which conjures a wall made of solid iron that is 72x72x18 ft large and
lasts for a specfic time. So he decided to cast one on his floating
island to weigh it down, and cause it to sink.

Bad idea.

Unfortunately, the Wall of Iron _did_ cause parts of the island to sink
- with full gravitational acceleration. The wall fell down to the ground
- the real ground - and took 2/3 of the island with it. The warlock
contemplated casting several Walls of Iron above each other, and then
rust himself (with another spell) slowly to the ground, but he had to
realize that he couldn't cast the Rust spell often enough. So he spent
an uneasy night on the island, contemplating his escape while listening
to the periodic shouts from the dwarf below that he should finally jump,
dammnit. Thus, the game session ended.

When, a week later, the next game session started, I had worked out a
plan: I cast a kind of "stairway" with several Walls of Iron. Of course,
the steps of the stairway were still about 21 yards high. It looked
something like this:

islandX
XXX
XXX
XXX
XXX
XXXX
XXXX
XXXX
XXXX
groundground

After that, the warlock cast several "River of Lava" spells, which
create
exactly what the name implies, starting on the closest Wall, to bring
its
height to that of the island and smooth the steps out to make it easier
to get down. Of course, all this lava made the iron extremely hot, and
the iron didn't have the time to cool before the spell ended, so the
warlock
cast "Fire Resistance", which halved all damage from fire. It still hurt
lot when he climbed down, of course. I had counted on the walls to be
levelled enough to climb down, but unfortunately, there was still a
13-yard
drop at the end of the last one - and my character was already heavily
wounded from the hot iron, and the damage rolled from the fall was
simply
too much for him.

What made this _really_ annoying was that I worked out a way how he
could
have survived the jump a week later: He could have cast "Walk Through
Stone" which allows the caster to move through earth and stone "like a
ghost", so he would have survived the fall...

His last words were probably "ouch" when he was climbing down the iron,
but
it also could have been "Oh, bugger!"

And the dwarf later said: "I _told_ him to jump into my pit, but
nooo..."

-- Juergen Hubert

Nana Yaw Ofori

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

In article
<Pine.A41.3.96a.98052...@dante30.u.washington.edu>, "K.
Ulstein" <ken...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Gurps Supers
>
> It was a hot day, and we were in a cramped apartment. I had stayed up
> all night reading my new copy of GURPS Supers. My players began
> shareing the book while I tried to convince them that GURPS was a
> wonderful system.

[Snip Story]

I swear, I haven't laughed so hard since "The Head of Vecna." Thank
you, thank you for a hilarious synopsis.

--
== http://members.tripod.com/~maltesh ==== nof...@pop3.utoledo.edu ==
Nana-Yaw "The Fish" Ofori,Freelance Soldier of Heck, presenty serving
><{{"> Legion, Party of six thousand. Smoking or Non? <"}}><
=== ><{{"> ======= "Life's a Fish, then you Fry." ======== <"}}>< ===

Charles Griswold

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

Nana Yaw Ofori wrote:

> I swear, I haven't laughed so hard since "The Head of Vecna." Thank
> you, thank you for a hilarious synopsis.

I read "The Head of Vecna" several years, but I don't have a copy of
it. Does anyone have a copy they can post? Thanks.

-- Charles Griswold (WARNING -- do not export this .sig :)

Jason Seeley

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

The adventures of Mind Switch Man:

In a Supers campaign I ran a year or so ago, one player made a
completely wimpy character that had excellent mental powers. One of
these powers was Mind Switch - and his reasoning for making such a
wimpy character is that he would then switch bodies to a more powerful
body once he found one.

So, anyways, the characters discover some information about some
secret corporate research to create supers. The party hacks some
information (I don't recall the whole adventure, I just recall the
main points of what happened) and discovers where this base is.

When the party gets near the area, they notice that the installation
is heavily guarded. They enter a nearby "gas station" that is
actually a perimeter defense station. They discover a group of men in
back and take them out. The uniforms are stolen, and Mind Switch man
takes out of the men's bodies.. (this time, the party is aware of the
switch - as it was part of the plan.)

So, they hop into the jeep in the station and start driving out to the
installation. They come across another jeep of men, and decide to
start attacking them (they were acting suspicious, and were about to
be "captured") So, they open fire, and the rest of the party jumps
off the jeep, leaving Mind Switch Man to man the machine gun on the
jeep. He was hit, and Mind Switched into one of the guards' bodies on
the opposing jeep. At the moment of the switch, he was still firing
on the party members. So he turns to fire at the other men "on his
side." At that moment, the magician of the party blasts the jeep (he,
again, is the only one on the jeep) and he is sent flying into the
air. The remaining trooper starts firing at him. Mind Switch Man
switches bodies just as his body is blown to pieces, and is now the
man with the gun.

They snuck into the installation under the guise of being wounded
soldiers. Mind Switch Man influenced things greatly, and scouted the
base by switching frequently (and disposing of previous bodies.)

Eventually, an alarm was sounded, and the party was faced by some
other supers. Mind Switch Man took the body of one of the opposing
supers (some guy made out of rock) but neglected to tell the rest of
the party. His new body was destroyed only one or two rounds later.
As he was being pummeled, he found a new body -- "The Void." This
body was an insubstatial one, so he was able to let the party know
before they started trying to destroy it.

That is about what I remember of the adventure.

Jason Seeley
The Trap Page (http://www.aros.net/~jseeley)

John C. Faludi

May 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/30/98

I'll never forget the GURPS Supers campaign a friend of mine ran years
ago.
I was playing a rockman-type character (Body of Stone up the wazoo) who
was super strong and looked like a huge chunk of amethyst.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse were attacking when our group was
just meeting for the first time (basically the old "barroom brawl"
scenario to get us all together). My first action as a legitimate
superhero was to pick up the limo that had brought me to the government
building and throw it at the villians. Well, as you probably guessed, I
rolled an 18.

The limo went straight up in the air flipped three times and hung there
for a second. I stared at it in horror and was able to say, "Oh shit."
before it came crashing down on my head.

I didn't take any damage, but my superhero's image was ruined from the
start.

John

**I'll stop Gaming when they pry my cold sfiff fingers from around my
dice.

Nick Coffin

May 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/30/98

Famous last action:

I was playing a swashbuckling rogue in a low-level (say, 2nd-4th level) AD&D
campaign. We were on an adventure which had placed us in a volcanic cavern:
on one side was a cliff that dropped several hundred feet to a river of lava;
the other three were stone walls. Only one tunnel led to this chamber. Enter:
Babies of the Night.

Babies of the Night were creatures unique to this compaign world. They were
essentially monsters created through necromantic means from a kidnapped, real
human baby. The resulting creature was nasty, vicious, tough as nails, and
deadly.

And the tunnel behind us were filled with them.

We did our best. We fought with every trick we knew. We ganged up on them at
the mouth of the tunnel, to let as few out as possible, to no avail. In a few
rounds, they forced us back. The remaining five or six were now around us and
attacking--and winning. I was up front with the warriors. However, soon I was
reduced to -4 hit points and fell (unconscious, since we were using the death's
door rules). As I landed on my back, my pack burst and spilled all of its
contents. As I blacked out, I saw, rolling on the floor amongst our belongings,
the Horn.

We had found the Horn in an earlier location in the dungeon. Some tough Orcs
were using it in combination with whips to command a Baby of the Night. We had
assumed one of the orcs was the creator of the Baby, and *that* was how they
were controlling it. As my head swam with towards blackness, I had a thought--
what if the Horn gave the Orcs the ability to command the Babies? What if it was
the only way to save the party? How do I tell them, as I was almost unconscious?

I asked the GM: "As I pass out from my wounds, do you think I might spasm?"

"What--" he asked. "Uh, okay, I guess."

"Well, if I'm going to die anyway..." I tell the GM my plan in private.

"Roll a DEX check, minus 6" said the GM, with a gleam in his eye. At that point,
I knew that he had been worried that no one would think of the Horn, and that
it was the only way we were going to get out of the situation. Alive, at least.

I rolled--two 3s and a 4. The GM looked at my dice, and turned to the rest of
the party:
"Any of you ever seen the movie, 'Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World'?" They nod.
"Remember the guy who died in the car crash at the beginning--"

"The guy who kicks the bucket?"

"Yeah, that's right. Mordecai, critically wounded, falls to the ground. At his
feet is the horn you found earlier. Mordecai stiffens convulsively, and
kicks the bucket...in this case, the horn. It rolls across the floor
and..." <rolls
some dice> "...hits Kiah the Barbarian in the foot." The group is LOL by now.

Kiah gets it instantly. The Horn works. And the party was saved.

--
jeff+sharon

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line."
-Oscar Levant

Xplo Eristotle

May 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/30/98

I was playing a solo AD&D adventure once (well, not actually *solo*, but
one-on-one). My character was a first-level fighter of the big stupid
barbarian "Tick" sort, and he had been hired to go clear out a nearby castle
of goblins.

Well when he got there, there weren't any goblins.. just a lot of cool little
guys. They gave him a tour of the castle, they talked (since they spoke his
language), they invited him to lunch. After a big hearty meal of soup,
something occurred to him.

"Hey, are you guys.. goblins?"

"Yeah, what of it?"

He became saddened as he reached for his sword. "Damn, now I have to kill you.
And you gave me all that nice soup, too."

I suppose the goblins could have tried to talk him out of it, but they didn't,
and the resulting combat of 40 goblins against one unarmored first-level
fighter was never actually run. ^_^;;

Xplo "Endymion" Eristotle xp...@infomagic.com
# Grand Master - Lunar Inquisition #
Yog: http://www.infomagic.com/~xplo/index.html

Bruce L. Grubb

May 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/30/98

The most commond last words I heard were in my AD&D1 campaign.

Mage: "I cast a Fireball at the monsters."

At which point the party learns the hard way that a 20 foot radius sphere
takes up just over 33,500 cubit feet of space.

I had more mage destroy themselves and most of groups they were in with
that spell.

May 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/30/98

John C. Faludi wrote:

This reminds me of the first GURPS Supers group i ran. Having cut my
teeth with supers with Champions i decided on a crazed mutant running amok
in downtown Chicago would be a great "get group together" session. The
player were very sure of themselves and didn't want any input on character
creation. Pride goeth before fall...
The first super to arrive on the scene was the Thing rip-off. He faces
off the creature and decides that a thrown object would be a good opening
gambit.
He asks "Is there a car close to me?"
I respond "It's downtown Chicago, hell yes there is a car close to you."
Him "I pick it up... Why the surprised look?"
Me "Well the taxi cab driver and his passengers look very alarmed at being
lifted up by you."
Him "Oh, are there other cars?"
Me "Yes they just keep driving by trying to avoid you."
Thing rip-off "OK, is there a dumpster near by?" a perception roll is made
and i tell him that a huge dumpster is behind the museum "OK, i jump over
to the dumpster."
Me "You don't make it."
Thing-y "What, i can leap that far! Why don't i leap that far?"
Me "Well if you were to guess..." perception roll "the taxi cab your
holding probably kept your jump very short."
Thing-y "I drop the car and jump to the dumpster."
Meanwhile another character has arrived and is starting concentrating on a
power that takes 5 seconds to get warmed up. Thing-y "I pick up the
dumpster."
Me "Well, it's quite full and it's not moving."
Thing-y "Extra Effort! I use Extra Effort!!"
Me "OK your lifting it, i should make you roll HT to make sure your not
going to bust a nut, but you get it over your head, barely."
Thing-y "I throw it with everything i have... at that thing that's melting
the sidewalk."
Me as mean old GM "Roll 3 dice, OK again, OK the end of the dumpster you
were holding goes 3 feet past your outstretched arms and the rest of the
dumpster smashes down on your head." rolling dice, damage allotted, "What's
you DR?"
Thing-y's player "Uh, its here some where, darn, how much does one level of
body of stone give you?"
Me turning to arriving characters "You see a fire creature that is melting
sidewalks, cops, and the occasional car and driver. A Rock creature has
just bloody squished itself under a huge dumpster, the kind that are the
size of semi-truck trailers that are winched up, what are you going to do?"

Actually the rest of the party ended up killing Harry Carry (sic) and half
of the spectators of a Cubs game because the Magneto rip-off spent all his
point in the power and had a skill of 9. Most property damage and loss of
life came from the "heroes" especially from the magneto rip-off who was
hurling around 1 ton objects at Mach III and missing anything he was aiming
at. 3 other character died from the Magneto rip-off including one hurriedly
put together by his brother, the dead Thing rip-off. The next play session
was the rest of the players hunting down and killing the Magneto rip-off
while the player kept saying "Why are you picking on me, what did i ever do
to you, i'm a good guy."
Smile when you sit at my game table,

John Gale

May 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/31/98

A couple weeks ago the character I was playing in a fantasy campaign
died in a rather sucky manner. The character was 150 pt, 15 year-old
street punk. He had good thieving skills and was good with a crossbow.
Unfortunately he was horrible in melee combat. Anyways the party was
traveling down this path with me at point. When the last person in the
group (a knight w/very high DR) was enveloped by a mass of plant
tendrils. The fencer rushed back to help me while the rest of us run
hellbent for the horizon. Unfortunately the horizon ended in a 90 foot
cliff and was covered by an illusion. So my character being first, fell
of the cliff. His last words were "MMMOOOOMMMeeeeee!!" and "I can see my
house from here!"
--
Andrew Gale
john....@ns.sympatico.ca

Sholstan

May 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/31/98

We were playing a "call of cthulu" style adventure. Something (or things) is
killing and mutilating streetwalkers. One of the players follows the GM clues
to the monsters' house AT NIGHT. He climbs a LARGE diameter tree to see into
the upper windows with a pair of binoculars. he is told the tree is swaying
(its not that windy out). he doesn't look down. when he leaves the tree he
sees scratches in the tree 10 ft up and steps in a foot shaped hole 3 inches
deep. "I go check the house" he says. inside he finds a dining room table set
up for a typical AD&D game. while searching the house he finds:

a 'fridge full of body parts
BEFORE and AFTER photos of the slain streetwalkers
bloody panties
and finaly .... THE WEREWOLVES as they return from the hunt!

he bails out a window, evades the monsters, finds a payphone, calls the other
PCs (who have been sitting around the table trying not to Kibbitz) and says
"THEY HAVE DICE!!!". click

the PCs were not amused.....

Charles Griswold

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Douglas Bailey

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

On Sat, 30 May 1998 16:41:07 -0600, bgr...@zianet.com (Bruce L. Grubb)
wrote:

>I had more mage destroy themselves and most of groups they were in with

>[Fireball].

My favorite: an AD&D party that I'd foolishly allowed to get ahold of
a Cube of Force. They had this routine where the party would hide
inside the cube to avoid harm. The mage would start casting Fireball,
and the others knew his casting routine well enough to let the cube
down, allow him to chuck the spell, and put the cube back up (so they
wouldn't get cooked).

I made them roll DEX checks every time this trick was attempted, and
they finally messed one up. Volume of fireball: ~33,500 cubic feet.
Volume of cube of force: 1,000 cubic feet. Damage multiplier: x33.5.
Number of surviving party members: 0.

Well, it was a munchkin-y campaign anyway. :)

doug

--------------douglas bailey (trys...@ne.mediaone.net)--------------
don't you let my letter get you down...
--david bowie

Xplo Eristotle

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

I had a friend once who invented "Deadman". He was, in fact, just a corpse
(albeit a rather superhuman one) on a hospital gurney. His ally was
"Gurneyman"; I never found out exactly what Gurneyman does other than wheeling
Deadman around, but supposedly Deadman made an excellent shield against
bullets, flame blasts, etc...

Obviously, neither character made it to the actual creation stage. ^_^;;

JefWilson

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

With all the discussion recently about mages and economics I've decided to post
the assumptions I used in creating my job table and see what people think.

First off all, I assumed that the cost of living on the Social Status table
applies to a single individual, and that a family of four could live on
half-again (1.5 times) this amount.

Poor jobs should be able to support a single person at the minimum status for a
culture. A couple, both working in poor jobs, should be able to support a
family at Status -1.

Struggling jobs should be able to support a single person of status 0 or a poor
family.

Average jobs should be able to support a family of status 0 with something left
over.

Comfortable jobs should support a family of status 1 or 2 with something left
over.

Wealthy jobs should be able to support a family of status 3 and up.

Comments?

Incanus

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

JefWilson <jefw...@aol.com> wrote: