3e PHB Amazon sales rank

1 view

W Smith

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00

On Amazon, the 3rd edition PHB ranks number 598 out of all the books they
sell. The sales rank has about doubled since last month. Not bad for a book
that isn't even done at press yet! Imagine what will happen when it gets
officially released. Here is a copy and paste of the link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786915501/3eddhallofadven

--
W Smith
***************************

Beau Yarbrough

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
In article <VvBP4.166572$Tn4.1...@news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>,

"W Smith" <w_smi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Amazon, the 3rd edition PHB ranks number 598 out of all the books
they
> sell. The sales rank has about doubled since last month. Not bad for a
book
> that isn't even done at press yet! Imagine what will happen when it
gets
> officially released. Here is a copy and paste of the link:
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786915501/3eddhallofadven

And if you buy through that link, W. Smith gets a commission from
Amazon.

Shouldn't you have said that up front?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sifmole

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
And your point is? So what is W. Smith gets a little bit. It
doesn't cost you anything extra.

Bryan J. Maloney

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
In article <8empr5$48f$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Beau Yarbrough
<comic...@my-deja.com> wrote:

What, honesty from a D&D-selling goober?

--
"Before we judge the lobotomist of old too severely, we
should go to the nearest street grate and see how we are

Peter Seebach

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
In article <0bae1513...@usw-ex0104-032.remarq.com>,

Sifmole <sifmole...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>And your point is? So what is W. Smith gets a little bit. It
>doesn't cost you anything extra.

The point is that it's always polite to disclose any financial interest you
have in a specific thing. If you don't, it's a bit sneaky.

>* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
>The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

For instance, RemarQ talks about "free" without pointing out the implications
of being unable to say anything without advertising them. ;-)

-s
--
Copyright 2000, All rights reserved. Peter Seebach / se...@plethora.net
C/Unix wizard, Pro-commerce radical, Spam fighter. Boycott Spamazon!

W Smith

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
> And if you buy through that link, W. Smith gets a commission from
> Amazon.
>
> Shouldn't you have said that up front?

I thought it was obvious. Trust me, NO ONE, (except maybe Eric) is going to
make real money of these links. I might have enough to buy a Big Mac Value
Meal by the time the book is released. It was easier to paste it from my web
page then do the whole search and refined search and stuff.

W Smith

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
> The point is that it's always polite to disclose any financial interest
you
> have in a specific thing. If you don't, it's a bit sneaky.

Humm. Maybe I was giving too much credit to this newsgroup for relalizing
that the reference tag was obviously glaring that. Sorry, I forgot not
everybody here is not a techie. But then again, this IS rec.games.frp.dnd so
I should have known better.

W Smith

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
> What, honesty from a D&D-selling goober?

Hey Bryan. Synaptic Dragon must be on vacation cause he hasn't posted in a
few days. How about dropping by to add a touch of your sarcasm in
cipher.wizards.com NG. It is getting to boring lately with everybody in
agreement on everything. :)

Peter Seebach

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
In article <4XCP4.166597$Tn4.1...@news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>,

W Smith <w_smi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I thought it was obvious. Trust me, NO ONE, (except maybe Eric) is going to
>make real money of these links. I might have enough to buy a Big Mac Value
>Meal by the time the book is released. It was easier to paste it from my web
>page then do the whole search and refined search and stuff.

YMMV. I have a Powell's affiliate program thing (I'm not about to deal with
Spamazon), and it's over $10 already. If I had links to books people wanted,
I might do even better. ;-)

Peter Seebach

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
In article <w_CP4.166598$Tn4.1...@news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>,

W Smith <w_smi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Humm. Maybe I was giving too much credit to this newsgroup for relalizing
>that the reference tag was obviously glaring that. Sorry, I forgot not
>everybody here is not a techie. But then again, this IS rec.games.frp.dnd so
>I should have known better.

Not all techies know the magic link format used by Amazon.

W Smith

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
> YMMV. I have a Powell's affiliate program thing (I'm not about to deal
with
> Spamazon), and it's over $10 already. If I had links to books people
wanted,
> I might do even better. ;-)

Actually "Spamazon" hasn't been that bad. *Yet*. I heard Powell is a pretty
good. And Dragonscroll, well, that's a story for another newsgroup. BUT they
are looking into correcting the downside of their program. 'when they do
AMZN will take a back seat, cause DS is run by gamers and not a
"bookseller."

Beau Yarbrough

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
In article <4XCP4.166597$Tn4.1...@news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>,
"W Smith" <w_smi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I thought it was obvious. Trust me, NO ONE, (except maybe Eric) is
going to
> make real money of these links.

I just cashed a $175.03 check from Amazon.com this weekend for last
quarter.

> I might have enough to buy a Big Mac Value
> Meal by the time the book is released. It was easier to paste it from
my web
> page then do the whole search and refined search and stuff.

Equally easy to remove the bit that makes it put money in your pocket
or just say up front that there's a (small) financial incentive for
posting the link as-is. Even if you didn't mean it that way, it has the
appearance of being disingenuous.

W Smith

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00

> I just cashed a $175.03 check from Amazon.com this weekend for last
> quarter.

Are you kidding? Wow, whats the link to your site. I would like to check it
out.

> Equally easy to remove the bit that makes it put money in your pocket
> or just say up front that there's a (small) financial incentive for
> posting the link as-is. Even if you didn't mean it that way, it has the
> appearance of being disingenuous.

Understandable, now.

Beau Yarbrough

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
In article <O5GP4.166654$Tn4.1...@news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>,

"W Smith" <w_smi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > I just cashed a $175.03 check from Amazon.com this weekend for last
> > quarter.
>
> Are you kidding? Wow, whats the link to your site. I would like to
check it
> out.

Not kidding at all. You'll guess where all the money comes from once
you see the site: http://www.LBY3.com/spyro/

Mark Horning

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
In article <WVDP4.166613$Tn4.1...@news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>,
I think "Spamazon" sent mee an UCE once back in '95 or '96. I told them to
stop it and they did imediatly. I buy stuff from them all the time,
especialy stuff that is hard to find localy.

Mark E. Horning "You can not enslave a free man. The most
Physicist you can do is kill him."

Phoenix AZ --Robert A. Heinlein-- (Free Men)

Aristotle

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
In article <4XCP4.166597$Tn4.1...@news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>, "W Smith" <w_smi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> And if you buy through that link, W. Smith gets a commission from
>> Amazon.
>>
>> Shouldn't you have said that up front?
>
>I thought it was obvious.

Sounds like you are the non techie then. If you knew more about the internet,
you would know that while Amazon.com has a lot of customers, they are not
frequented by a majority of internet users. Further, the percentage of
internet users that are familiar with their referral/affiliate programs is
miniscule.

>Trust me, NO ONE, (except maybe Eric) is going to

>make real money of these links. I might have enough to buy a Big Mac Value

>Meal by the time the book is released. It was easier to paste it from my web
>page then do the whole search and refined search and stuff.

It was also just as easy to disclose what you gain. And further, if you truly
had no sneaky intent, you wouldn't have lashed out with that truly lame post
that made a back handed slam on anyone who didn't know how amazon.com's
affiliate program worked.

-Aristotle@Threshold
--
VISIT THRESHOLD - Online Roleplaying at its Finest. Player run clans, guilds,
legal system, economy, religions, nobility, and more in a world where roleplay

http://www.thresholdrpg.com -**- telnet://thresholdrpg.com:23

W Smith

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00

> Sounds like you are the non techie then. If you knew more about the
internet,
> you would know that while Amazon.com has a lot of customers, they are not
> frequented by a majority of internet users. Further, the percentage of
> internet users that are familiar with their referral/affiliate programs is
> miniscule.

Well, let's see. I was addressing a newsgroup which tends to be more
knowledgable about aspects how of the interent works and not "a majority of
internet users" as you stated. This is not just the general population who
just point and click to look at neat looking web pages.

> It was also just as easy to disclose what you gain. And further, if you
truly
> had no sneaky intent, you wouldn't have lashed out with that truly lame
post
> that made a back handed slam on anyone who didn't know how amazon.com's
> affiliate program worked.

Well, as I said above I thought this was a community of the more "educated."
Sorry if I insulted anyone for giving them more credit than I should have.

The purpose of my original post was to bring knowledge forth about the 3rd
edition PHB. I had cut and pasted the link from my webpage. I have seen it
all the time in here and no one gets bent out off shape, (and I am not
talking about the standard "make a million dollars now" postings.) So, in
order to accomplish that. here is the link to the 3rd edition players
handbook on Amazon WITHOUT the reference tag on the end of the link,
(meaning I get nothing so everyone can quit crying about posting a link with
the intent of making money):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786915501/o/qid=957359892/sr=8-1/ref
=aps_sr_b_1_1/104-9776817-2910856

Now in order to educate those who, like Aristotle, may not know how an
affiliate program works, if you look at the above link, on the end the is a
string of numbers, meaning an inventory/database reference. If that is
followed by a "/" and an array of text, it would look like this
"/dndwebsite" that is what is know as a reference tag. There are a few
variations, but they are usually close to the same display. When clicking on
that link, the tracking system at the affiliate program website, need not be
amazon but whatever affiliate program the person uses, accounts for the
amount of clicks and what link it came from. That is all that is tracked at
that time. However, should the viewer purchase an item, the tracking system
would check for a reference tag and then allow credit to the affiliate. The
affiliate will then get the referal fee, which for amazon is 5%. The
affiliate does not get a check from the company until two conditions are
met. First, the item must be shipped. Second, the affiliate must reach a
certain predetermined amount of referals before they get a check, for
example $25. Otherwise the affiliate will not get a check until that amount
is reached.

That being said, even if you did use the reference link for me, and then did
purchase the item, the 3ephb is only a pre-order, that ships in August. I
would get nothing until then anyway.

Peter Seebach

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
In article <8eoc77$m2e$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>,

Mark Horning <mhor...@netcom.com> wrote:
>I think "Spamazon" sent mee an UCE once back in '95 or '96. I told them to
>stop it and they did imediatly. I buy stuff from them all the time,
>especialy stuff that is hard to find localy.

They've spammed different people different amounts; they tend not to spam
people who are active customers, preferring to try to entice inactive
customers back. They've cut back, but not without some fairly serious threats
from at least one upstream involving wire-clippers.

They "stopped" sending UCE on at least a couple different occasions. During
one debate on it, someone claiming to be an "Amazon customer" posted to
news.admin.net-abuse.email claiming this was all harmless. He posted from
Amazon's network.

They lie.

Still, if you look at the rest of their history (patent lawsuits, purchase
circles, etc.), it becomes clear that their model is to behave abusively until
told to stop, possibly repeatedly. Call them NE/LE; they'll do what they
think serves their interests back, while maintaining some pretense of obeying
the law. They do not care about community standards, or collateral damage.

Obviously, I don't deal with them.

Peter Seebach

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
In article <FcWP4.169369$Tn4.1...@news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>,

W Smith <w_smi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Well, as I said above I thought this was a community of the more "educated."

Did it ever occur to you that someone might be fairly educated, but not give
a flying fuck about Amazon's affiliate program, and therefore, not immediately
recognize from a given URL that it's an affiliate program?

Not all educated people know the details of the referral programs used by
every internet retailer.

Of course, it could just be I don't know enough about the internet to judge
this accurately. I have no formal background at all. :)

Mark W Brehob

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Peter Seebach <se...@plethora.net> wrote:
> Of course, it could just be I don't know enough about the internet to judge
> this accurately. I have no formal background at all. :)

But still manages to post to comp.arch with reasonable comments on a regular
basis. Hmmm....

Mark

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.cps.msu.edu/~brehob ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~Mark Brehob: Ultimate Player, Gamer, Computer Geek~~~~~~~~~~

W Smith

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
> But still manages to post to comp.arch with reasonable comments on a
regular
> basis. Hmmm....
>
> Mark

Peter is just being sarcastic. Judging from his website I would guess he has
some kind of education. I doubt he knows as much as he does about computers
from reading "Unix for Dummies".

Peter Seebach

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
In article <8aeQ4.170762$Tn4.1...@news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>,

W Smith <w_smi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Peter is just being sarcastic. Judging from his website I would guess he has
>some kind of education.

B.A. Psych. :)

Staffan Johansson

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
Peter Seebach wrote:

> B.A. Psych. :)

But what about B. A. Baracus? :)
--
Staffan Johansson (bal...@crosswinds.net)
http://www.crosswinds.net/~baloosj

W Smith

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00

> But what about B. A. Baracus? :)
> --

Yeah. I pity da fool...

Jason Hatter

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
On 03 May 2000, in rec.games.frp.dnd, bre...@cse.msu.edu (Mark W
Brehob) proclaimed <8eq4p6$2gch$2...@msunews.cl.msu.edu>:

>Peter Seebach <se...@plethora.net> wrote:
>> Of course, it could just be I don't know enough about the
>> internet to judge this accurately. I have no formal background
>> at all. :)
>

>But still manages to post to comp.arch with reasonable comments on
>a regular basis. Hmmm....

This is the Internet. ANYONE can BS a good story.
--
Jason
ICQ#24332701