New cleric domains

Yehuda Berlinger

Oct 30, 2001, 9:40:40 AM10/30/01
Alternative suggestions welcome.

Chemical

Granted Power: Brew Potion Feat
1. Identify
2. Melf's Acid Arrow
3. Stinking Cloud
4. Neutralize Poison
5. Poison Touch
6. Cloudkill
7. Acid Fog
8. Stone to Flesh
9. Implosion

Electric

Granted Power: (ignore damage from electricity equal to level each
round)
1. Shocking Grasp
2. Call Lightning
3. Glyph of Warding (electric)
4. Lightning Bolt
5. Wall of Electricity (see Wall of Fire, except 20' range if
approached by metal wearing creature)
6. Chain Lightning
7. Magnetize (Range: long, 100' radius. All metal "falls" together
(damage according to distance, weight and shape), requiring Strength
25 to move for <level> rounds)
8. Control Weather
9. Disruption (see Destruction, but area of effect like lightning
bolt)

Force

Granted Power: Mage Hand 1/day/level
1. Mage Armor
2. Shield
3. Protection from Arrows
4. Leomund's Tiny Hut
5. Wall of Force
6. Bigby's Forceful Hand
7. Forcecage
8. Bigby's Clentched Fist
9. Bigby's Crushing Hand

Frost

Granted Power: (see water domain)
1. Endure Elements (cold,fire)
2. Chill metal
3. Protection from Elements (cold,fire)
4. Wall of Ice
5. Ice Storm
6. Cone of Cold
7. Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
8. Summon Monster VIII, frost type creatures
9. Summon Monster IX, frost type creatures

(ok, so I ran out of ideas. Got any?)

Light

Granted Power: Light 1/day/level
1. Silent Image
2. Daylight
3. Searing Light
4. Rainbow Pattern
5. Wall of Light (see Wall of Fire)
6. Shadow Walk
7. Sunbeam
8. Sunburst
9. Prismatic Sphere

Mind (assumes not playing with psionics)

Granted Power: cast enchantments at +1 caster level
1. Charm Person
2. Detect Thoughts
3. Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
4. Suggestion
5. Confusion
6. Dominate Person
7. Mass Suggestion
8. Mass Charm
9. Mass Domination (as Dominate Person, but HD = 2 * caster level)

Sonic

Granted Power: (ignore damage from sonic equal to level each round)
1. Shatter
2. Sound Burst
3. Glyph of Warding (sonic)
4. Shout
5. Wall of Sound (see Wall of Fire, except sonic damage, and not taken
down by cold spells)
6. Disintegrate
7. Power Word, Stun
8. Destruction
9. Wail of the Banshee

Space

Granted Power: +2 class bonuses on Spot and Search as Elf, plus secret
and concealed door detection as Elf
1. Alarm
2. Rope Trick
3. Leomund's Secret Chest
4. Dimension Door
5. Ethereal Jaunt
6. Teleport without Error
7. Plane Shift
8. Astral Projection
9. Gate

Time

Granted Power: expedition
1. Expeditious Retreat
2. Hold Person
3. Slow
4. Haste
5. Plant Growth
6. Mass Haste
7. Disintegrate
8. Temporal Statis
9. Time Stop

R. Scott Rogers

Oct 30, 2001, 11:49:46 AM10/30/01
And it came to pass on 10/30/01 9:40 AM, that there went out a decree from
Caesar Yehuda Berlinger, that

> Alternative suggestions welcome.

Mostly seemed cool to me.
<snip>
> Electric

Just for flavor, I'd call this "Shock" or "Lightning" or "Anbaric." Electric
just seems an anachronistically scientific words. This is, of course, merely
an aesthetic comment.

> Frost
>
> Granted Power: (see water domain)
> 1. Endure Elements (cold,fire)
> 2. Chill metal
> 3. Protection from Elements (cold,fire)
> 4. Wall of Ice
> 5. Ice Storm
> 6. Cone of Cold
> 7. Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
> 8. Summon Monster VIII, frost type creatures
> 9. Summon Monster IX, frost type creatures
>
> (ok, so I ran out of ideas. Got any?)

8. Ice Bombardment (as Bombardment spell from Magic of Faerun, except
falling ice, rather than stone, deals 1d8/level of damage and buries foes)
9. Cast in Ice (as Cast in Stone spell from MoF, except target turns to ice
AND MELTS IF WARMED ABOVE FREEZING, BWA-HA-HA! ... Sorry, got a little
excited there)

> Space
>
> Granted Power: +2 class bonuses on Spot and Search as Elf, plus secret
> and concealed door detection as Elf
> 1. Alarm
> 2. Rope Trick
> 3. Leomund's Secret Chest
> 4. Dimension Door
> 5. Ethereal Jaunt
> 6. Teleport without Error
> 7. Plane Shift
> 8. Astral Projection
> 9. Gate

This I don't quite get. Seems more like "Distance" to me or "Dimension," and
the Spot and Search bonuses seem out of place. Perhaps it would work better
if the granted power had to do with the ability to Blink or to Scry or
somesuch. Really, it's the granted power that seems off-mandate for this
domain.

Cheers,

Scott

--
R. Scott Rogers
sro...@mindspring.com

Isaac

Oct 30, 2001, 1:02:45 PM10/30/01

"Yehuda Berlinger" <j...@actcom.co.il> wrote in message
> Alternative suggestions welcome.
>

> Chemical

How about adding Biological? Now I think about it, I think Defenders of the
Faith has that one already...

> Electric

Granted powers vary according to where you get your electric from, as does
the cost. If you're really unlucky you get put on a meter and have to
sacrifice gold in advance for access to domain spells.

How about Gas?

I think one of the other posts mentioned changing the names for more
atmosphere and I agree.

Isaac

Jim Davies

Oct 30, 2001, 7:54:52 PM10/30/01
j...@actcom.co.il (Yehuda Berlinger) typed:

<mostly good stuff>

>Frost
>Granted Power: (see water domain)

I'd have said Endure Cold at 1 hp/level/round

>8. Summon Monster VIII, frost type creatures
>9. Summon Monster IX, frost type creatures
>(ok, so I ran out of ideas. Got any?)

Ice variants of Incendiary Cloud and Meteor Swarm. Alternatively,
cold-based equivalents of Horrid Wilting, Energy Drain, Temporal
Stasis.

>Sonic
>Granted Power: (ignore damage from sonic equal to level each round)

That's pretty useless. How about +4 to Listen checks?

>Space
That's one seriously weird domain. Not sure what it represents.

>Time
>
>Granted Power: expedition
Que?

I gave the Darkness domain to some of my deities before I realised
that it didn't exist. So far it hasn't mattered. Is there such a thing
in MoF, for example?

-
Jim Davies
----------
Mind your manners, son! I've got a tall pointy hat!

Yehuda Berlinger

Oct 31, 2001, 1:33:42 AM10/31/01
On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:49:46 -0500, "R. Scott Rogers"
<sro...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> Space
>>
>> Granted Power: +2 class bonuses on Spot and Search as Elf, plus secret
>> and concealed door detection as Elf
>> 1. Alarm
>> 2. Rope Trick
>> 3. Leomund's Secret Chest
>> 4. Dimension Door
>> 5. Ethereal Jaunt
>> 6. Teleport without Error
>> 7. Plane Shift
>> 8. Astral Projection
>> 9. Gate
>
>This I don't quite get. Seems more like "Distance" to me or "Dimension," and
>the Spot and Search bonuses seem out of place. Perhaps it would work better
>if the granted power had to do with the ability to Blink or to Scry or
>somesuch. Really, it's the granted power that seems off-mandate for this
>domain.

It was supposed to be "space" as opposed to "time". I used to run an
elementalist class in 2nd edition, where a space elementalist was able
to control sizes, perceptive distance, etc..., so he could suddenly
make the room twice as big, reduce range penalties, overlap two spaces
(e.g. merge two rooms into one), and travel through space quickly. The
granted power above was supposed to reflect space perception.

Thanks for the feedback

Yehuda

Yehuda Berlinger

Oct 31, 2001, 1:39:21 AM10/31/01
On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 00:54:52 +0000, Jim Davies
<j...@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote:

>j...@actcom.co.il (Yehuda Berlinger) typed:
>

>>Sonic
>>Granted Power: (ignore damage from sonic equal to level each round)
>That's pretty useless. How about +4 to Listen checks?

That's pretty good. I was thinking tremorsense, but that would be too
powerful, compared to the other granted powers.

>>Space
>That's one seriously weird domain. Not sure what it represents.

See my other reply.

>>Time
>>
>>Granted Power: expedition
>Que?

Oops. Mistyped. I must have subconsicously not liked my choice for
this one. How about "Extend Spell"? Or expeditious retreat? Or "sense
time and age of objects/creatures" ... Pick one, I guess.

Which reminds me, I should have used "Color Spray" for the first level
light domain spell, not silent image.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yehuda

David Sulger

Nov 3, 2001, 3:42:56 AM11/3/01
Jim Davies wrote:

>I gave the Darkness domain to some of
>my deities before I realised that it didn't
>exist. So far it hasn't mattered. Is there
>such a thing in MoF, for example?

I believe there is a Darkness domain in the FR book. However, I don't
really like the "official" version, so my campaign uses a darkness
domain that was originally posted here about a year ago with some tweaks
that I added.

--Dave

ds50.geo @ yahoo.com

Jim Davies

Nov 3, 2001, 5:12:39 PM11/3/01
or...@webtv.net (David Sulger) typed:

Thanks. I shall have a dig on Google.

Lucius Chiaraviglio

Nov 11, 2001, 5:04:27 AM11/11/01
"Isaac" <is...@joininthechant.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>How about Gas?

Aaargggh! Now you've got me thinking of scenes from _Mystery Men_!
:-)

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio
E-mail address is approximately: lucius1@telo_large_urban_area.com