Elric of Melnibone'

mai...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
This infor *should* be posted somewhere; may as well be here. If I don't catch
Hell for this, I might post the rest of the mythos, as well, if persuaded.

Armor Class 6 or -6
Move 6" or 15"
Hit Points 45 (variable)
Magic Resistance Standard or 85%
Size 6' tall
Alignment Chaotic Evil (Duh!)
Cleric 10th
Druid 5th
Fighter 15th
M-U 19th
Illusionist 10th
Assassin 10th

Str 6(15) Int 18 Wis 17 Dex 17 Con 3(15) Cha 18

There's an 85% chance that the materials Elric needs to keep his strength and
Con at 15 are available. He's got all kinds of spells, mostly conjuring and
summoning. He often rationalizes that the end justifies the means, and is
arrongant and vengeful. Though he views the power of stealing souls with
Stormbringer with distaste, he does so anyway. He has a great deal of
knowledge of several planes of existance, and can summon many extraplanar
beings in times of need.

Ring of Kings

Made out of a single Actorious gemstone, it acts as a Ring of Many Spell
Storings, into which Elric can store any and as many spells as he wishes. The
ring also helps him summon beings from other planes, and acts as a Rod of
Rulership in that, when he calls these beings forth for aid, he can expect to
get their help. Usually, he is able to call forth the Elemental Lords and
Master Types (such as the Cat Lord). Elric has a 70% chance of summoning any
one of them (and their lesser minions) and an 80% chance of controlling them
when they arrive. Without the ring, he has only a 20% chance to summon, and a
30% chance to make the ones summoned obey him.

Stormbringer, the Black Blade

This huge black rune-covered sword is actually a sentient being from another
plane, and is possibly the most powerful magic weapon possessed by any mortal
anywhere. It has an Intelligence of 18 and an Ego of 20. It is +5 to hit, and
every time it hits, it drains half or all of their levels (50% chance of
either). Any creature killed by Stormbringer cannot be raised, resurrected,
reincarnated, or brought back in *ANY* manner whatsoever!

Stormbringer transfers its stolen level to Elric in the form of strenght and
hit points. For every two levels stolen, Elric gains 5 hit points and 1
strength point. Elric's strength can be raised to a maximum of 23, but the
only limit to the amount of hit points he can acquire is that the sword will
only absorb 200 levels before becoming sated. (Satiety lasts 8 hours.) The
strength and hit points last 10 turns, then Elric turns to normal. When Elric
wields Stormbringer, his AC becomes -6, his movement becomes 15", and he has
a Magic Resistance of 85%.

In battle, Stormbringer makes an evil, moaning sound, and gives of a weird,
black radiance. Creatures of less than 5 hit dice confronted with this sword
must save vs. death or flee in panic. It has been known to act as a Sword of
Dancing at Elric's command, but there's only a 15% chance of this happening.

If separated from Stormbringer, there is a 60% chance that Elric can summon it
to him, even if it is on another plane.

Stormbringer is absolutely evil. Its purpose is to eat souls, damning them to
a terrible, eternal death. Sometimes in battle, it goes into a killing
frenzy, slaying friend and foe alike.

Andrea Reed

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:31:17 GMT, mai...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>This infor *should* be posted somewhere; may as well be here. If I don't catch
>Hell for this, I might post the rest of the mythos, as well, if persuaded.
>
>Armor Class 6 or -6
>Move 6" or 15"
>Hit Points 45 (variable)
>Magic Resistance Standard or 85%
>Size 6' tall
>Alignment Chaotic Evil (Duh!)

Actually, I never particularly agreed with this assessment (or the
assessment of a number of the other characters in that book.. like Hades
being Evil, for example). Elric frequently tried to do Good things, they
just got screwed up, frequently by circumstances beyond his control or
ability to counteract. If I had to apply an AD&D alignment to a complex
character, I would say he was more CN than anything else, perhaps even with
Good tendencies...

-Andrea
A.J. Reed *
e-mail: ajr...@home.com * For 'tis lovely on the water
Disclaimer: I *definitely* * To hear the music play.
do not speak for the group. *

Rasgon

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
>I would say he was more CN than anything else, perhaps even with
>Good tendencies...
>
>-Andrea

His alignment changed. In the book Elric of Melnibone (the Dreaming City) he
was surely LG, bound by his rigid, benevolent but primative sense of ethics.
After the death of Cymoril, his vengeful destruction of Melnibone and his
abandonment of the lords of the young kingdoms, then yes, he was CN with evil
tendencies, tendencies that bloomed into full-fledged evil after the debacle of
the Dead Gods' Book. After many years and the help of his bosom friend and
implicit lover Moonglum, he progresses to a firm CG (N), which with the help of
Zarozinia might even have tamed him into lawful behavior. Toward the end of
the series he did serve Law, but he was still a being of chaos. The slow death
he inflicted on Jagreen Lern was certainly not a good act, and it could be
argued that winding the Horn of Fate wasn't good either, since it destroyed an
entire world. It's interesting that in Moorcock's recent comic book series for
DC, Michael Moorcock's Multiverse, Elric decides not to wind the Horn and lives
in Earth for two hundred years, regretting his cowardance.
¥
rïp våñ wørmér
(starting to get suspicious)

mai...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
In article <19990121022919...@ng105.aol.com>,

ras...@aol.combloob (Rasgon) wrote:
> >I would say he was more CN than anything else, perhaps even with
> >Good tendencies...

Well, the Dieties and Demigods book I got it out of said he was chaotic evil.
He did have a change of heart as the stories progressed.

> >-Andrea
>
> His alignment changed. In the book Elric of Melnibone (the Dreaming City) he
> was surely LG,

^^^
Uh, helLOO??? He had people tortured, slain, and fed to other people in that
book; not exactly what I'd call lawful GOOD.

> bound by his rigid, benevolent but primative sense of ethics.
> After the death of Cymoril, his vengeful destruction of Melnibone and his
> abandonment of the lords of the young kingdoms, then yes, he was CN with evil
> tendencies, tendencies that bloomed into full-fledged evil after the debacle
of
> the Dead Gods' Book. After many years and the help of his bosom friend and
> implicit lover Moonglum,

I saw nothing in the paperback stories that would imply Elric and Moonglum
were lovers.

he progresses to a firm CG (N), which with the help
of
> Zarozinia might even have tamed him into lawful behavior. Toward the end of
> the series he did serve Law, but he was still a being of chaos. The slow
death
> he inflicted on Jagreen Lern was certainly not a good act, and it could be
> argued that winding the Horn of Fate wasn't good either, since it destroyed an
> entire world. It's interesting that in Moorcock's recent comic book series
for
> DC, Michael Moorcock's Multiverse, Elric decides not to wind the Horn and
lives
> in Earth for two hundred years, regretting his cowardance.

I'd trust the books White Wolf put out before I'd trust some comic book.
Comics tend to take some "poetic liscense" with story adaptations.

Ralph Glatt

Paolo Avogadro

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99

Andrea Reed wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:31:17 GMT, mai...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
> >This infor *should* be posted somewhere; may as well be here. If I don't catch
> >Hell for this, I might post the rest of the mythos, as well, if persuaded.
> >
> >Armor Class 6 or -6
> >Move 6" or 15"
> >Hit Points 45 (variable)
> >Magic Resistance Standard or 85%
> >Size 6' tall
> >Alignment Chaotic Evil (Duh!)
>
> Actually, I never particularly agreed with this assessment (or the
> assessment of a number of the other characters in that book.. like Hades
> being Evil, for example). Elric frequently tried to do Good things, they
> just got screwed up, frequently by circumstances beyond his control or
> ability to counteract. If I had to apply an AD&D alignment to a complex

> character, I would say he was more CN than anything else, perhaps even with
> Good tendencies...
>

> -Andrea
> A.J. Reed *
> e-mail: ajr...@home.com * For 'tis lovely on the water
> Disclaimer: I *definitely* * To hear the music play.
> do not speak for the group. *

I agree with you, he is very CN, he is also a bit stupid.....(when he gave the
throne to his cusin for example)

Rasgon

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99

>I'd trust the books White Wolf put out before I'd trust some comic book.
>Comics tend to take some "poetic liscense" with story adaptations.

It's not an adaptation (Michael Moorcock's Multiverse); Moorcock wrote it in
comic book form.

Rasgon

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
>Uh, helLOO??? He had people tortured, slain, and fed to other people in that
>book; not exactly what I'd call lawful GOOD.

Alright, granted, but he was also very idealistic, and he hated doing it. I'd
call him true neutral with LG tendencies.

>I saw nothing in the paperback stories that would imply Elric and Moonglum
>were lovers.

You didn't? Moorcock was being pretty blatant about i: all that stuff about
him feeling like he and Moonglum were the same person and all that. Anyway,
Elric's modern alter ego Jerry Cornelius and his little friend from India were
lovers, so I took the parallel.

Shi Ao Tai

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
Rasgon wrote in message...

>>I saw nothing in the paperback stories that would imply Elric and
>Moonglum
>>were lovers.

>You didn't? Moorcock was being pretty blatant about i: all that stuff
about
>him feeling like he and Moonglum were the same person and all that.
>Anyway,
>Elric's modern alter ego Jerry Cornelius and his little friend from India
were
>lovers, so I took the parallel.

I didn't see anything about them being lovers either. Best friends, yes, But
Elric had plenty of lovers, and none were Moonglum. Just because he felt
that Moonglum was a Kindred spirit does not make them lovers. Elric never
displayed any Bisexual tendencies in any of the books I read. The only ones
I didn't read are the ones he wrote after he Killed Elric.

Shi Ao Tai

mai...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
In article <36A76939...@milan.crosswinds.net>,

All I was trying to do was make some out-of-print information available
again. Anything you don't like, you can change for your own campaign. This is
one thing that TSR has said from the start. Why some people don't understand
this is beyond me.

aleph

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
<19990121213406...@ng149.aol.com>...

>>I saw nothing in the paperback stories that would imply Elric
>>and Moonglum were lovers.
>
>You didn't? Moorcock was being pretty blatant about i: all that
>stuff about him feeling like he and Moonglum were the same person
>and all that. Anyway, Elric's modern alter ego Jerry Cornelius
>and his little friend from India were lovers, so I took the parallel.

Hrm.. that's new to me, too. I'll have to look for that next time I read
them. Actually, now that I think about it, Moonglum was a little bitch at
times, wasn't he? :)
___
-|\/ (o\-o---------------------------------------------------
|/\___/ ___ have a toolbox; know how to use your toolbox
-------o-/o) \/|---------------------------------------------
\___/\| http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~aleph/

mai...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
In article <789di4$8gk$1...@newsource.ihug.co.nz>,
"Shi Ao Tai" <Don't_need_no_spam@My_house.com> wrote:
> Rasgon wrote in message...

> >>I saw nothing in the paperback stories that would imply Elric and
> >Moonglum
> >>were lovers.
>
> >You didn't? Moorcock was being pretty blatant about i: all that stuff
> about
> >him feeling like he and Moonglum were the same person and all that.

I never read anything about Elric and Moonglum being the same person, either.I
know in one of the other incarnations of the Eternal Champion, Jermays the
Crooked claimed that he was another version of Moonglum.

> >Anyway,
> >Elric's modern alter ego Jerry Cornelius and his little friend from India
> were
> >lovers, so I took the parallel.

Jerry came from the '60s; he's screw a light bulb, if he thought he could get
away with it. ;-)

> I didn't see anything about them being lovers either. Best friends, yes, But
> Elric had plenty of lovers, and none were Moonglum. Just because he felt
> that Moonglum was a Kindred spirit does not make them lovers. Elric never
> displayed any Bisexual tendencies in any of the books I read. The only ones
> I didn't read are the ones he wrote after he Killed Elric.

Fortress of the Pearl, and some other title with the word Rose in it. Read
them both, nothing about Elric being gay or bisexual. If you're a *real*
Moorcock fan, try and get all the rereleased stuff that White Wolf is
publishing.

Roger Bonzer

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
In article <19990121213406...@ng149.aol.com>,

Rasgon <ras...@aol.combloob> wrote:

>>I saw nothing in the paperback stories that would imply Elric and Moonglum
>>were lovers.
>
>You didn't? Moorcock was being pretty blatant about i: all that stuff about
>him feeling like he and Moonglum were the same person and all that. Anyway,

>Elric's modern alter ego Jerry Cornelius and his little friend from India were
>lovers, so I took the parallel.

Blatant typically means "clumsily obvious" or "pointedly explicit". At no
point does Moorcock ever write that Elric and Moonglum hop in the sack and
do the deed. Nowhere does he even say that they slept together. Moorcock
is not an American author who has to hide homosexual situations behind
veils of double entendres and code phrases. He'll flat out tell you that
Jherek Cornelian and Lord Jagged of Canaria were lovers, that Karl Glogauer
was intimate with another man, etc. If Elric and Moonglum were doing each
other, he'd just flat out say so.

On the other hand, in Elric at the End of Time, Lord Jagged (Arioch)
makes a pass at Elric. I seem to recall (but I may be wrong here) that
Elric is tempted, but refuses his advances.

Roger Bonzer | There's this guy. And he falls in a vat of
mino...@teleport.com | radioactive chemicals and instead of getting
www.teleport.com/~minotaur | superpowers like you'd expect, he just dies.
| -- Ronnie, Zot #31

Rasgon

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
>Moorcock
>is not an American author who has to hide homosexual situations behind
>veils of double entendres and code phrases. He'll flat out tell you that
>Jherek Cornelian and Lord Jagged of Canaria were lovers, that Karl Glogauer

It's a different genre; his modern, adult stories allow for more than just wink
wink hinting, while the Elric series, which he said he's writing for the 18
year old he used to be, requires more discreetness. Elric doesn't share a lot
in common with Karl Glogauer besides their martyr complexes (But then, I've
read Behold the Man, not Breakfast in the Ruins).

I can say for certain that Jack Karaquazian, Corum, Hawkmoon, Faustaff, Konrad
Arflame, and Sam Oakenhurst aren't bisexual at all, and neither is the Rose. I
think Elric, not bound by human morality and sleeping with Moonglum all the
time, is. With Erekosë, such terms don't even apply.

mai...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
In article <01be45c4$5999a2a0$66a85380@default>,
"aleph" <al...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu> wrote:
> <19990121213406...@ng149.aol.com>...

> >>I saw nothing in the paperback stories that would imply Elric
> >>and Moonglum were lovers.
> >
> >You didn't? Moorcock was being pretty blatant about i: all that
> >stuff about him feeling like he and Moonglum were the same person
> >and all that. Anyway, Elric's modern alter ego Jerry Cornelius
> >and his little friend from India were lovers, so I took the parallel.
>
> Hrm.. that's new to me, too. I'll have to look for that next time I read
> them. Actually, now that I think about it, Moonglum was a little bitch at
> times, wasn't he? :)

Moonglum was more the practical one - he saw to thier living expenses, made
sure they both got well compensated for the killing they did. Elric was
always fussing about his morality, as well as they way some people treated
him.

mai...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
In article <19990122192603...@ng128.aol.com>,

Think what you want. I'm not going to let it bother me.