NEWS! Hasboro introduces DND Jr. the board game!

Yehuda Berlinger

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
Outside of the box: blond eight year old white kid with freckles and
open mouth, brown haired white girl, about 9 years old with buck teeth
grinning, White mom with neat blue dress and white apron with mouth open
in surprise, "dad" with oxford tie and neat hair with big grin.

Dungeons and Dragons Jr.! Exciting fun for the whole family! Ages 8 -
adult, from 2 to 4 players.

Inside of box: game board with track (pictures of wizards casting
fireballs, and fighters wielding swords. Big red dragon in serpentine
relief.). Deck of "adventure cards". Deck of "treasure" cards. One six
sided die. 4 player tokens (blue wizard, red wizard, yellow fighter,
green fighter).

Game rules on inside top cover (selections): Start at square "Enter
Dungeon". Players roll to see who goes first. High roll wins. First
player rolls die and moves forward number of squares. If you land on a
"Treasure square", pick a card from the "Treasure card" pile. Read card
and place next to you. If you land on an "Adventure square", pick a card
from the "Adventure card" pile. Follow directions for Dueling. If you
land on the square of another player, you must "duel", Follow directions
in Dueling. Otherwise, read the directions on the square. Play ends when
one player reaches the "Out of Dungeon" square. Every player counts
their treasure cards, and the one with the most treasure wins. Player
reaching the "Out of Dungeon" square collects 2 treasure cards before
counting.

Dueling: If you pick an adventure card, or if you land on the square of
another player, you must duel. If you picked an adventure card, roll a
six sided die. If you roll higher than the number on the card, you have
defeated your opponent, and you collect a treasure card. Play then
passes to the next player. If you do not role higher than the number on
the card, you return to the square you started on, and play passes to
the next player. If you are dueling with another player, both of you
roll the six sided die. If you both roll the same number, you both roll
again until one player rolls a higher number than the other player. If
you roll a higher number than the other player, that player must return
to the square that you started from, and you pick one treasure card at
random from that player's pile, if that player has any (if that player
does not have any, you do not get a treasure card). If you rolled less
than the other player, move your piece back to the square that you
started from, and the other player picks one treasure card at random
from your pile. In either case, play passes to the next player.

Sample adventure cards: "You woke a sleeping dragon! Prepare to battle!
(4)", "You come across a horde of trolls! Be careful! (3)", "You stepped
on a wizard's cat! He looks angry! (3)", etc. ...

Sample treasure cards: "Golden Pitcher (100 dollars)", "Silver
Candlesticks (30 dollars)", "Diamond Necklace (100 dollars)", etc. ...

Retail price: only $19.95!

Enjoy!

RGray26249

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
>:yehuda@gezernet. wrote

::snip most of game::>

>Sample adventure cards: "You woke a sleeping dragon! Prepare to battle! (4)

Idiots. Should've put at least a five on that card.

>"You come across a horde of trolls! Be careful! (3)"

C'mon trolls aren't THAT tough. They should get a (2)

>"You stepped<BR>

>on a wizard's cat! He looks angry! (3)"

Yeah, uh huh. What would a weakling like that do, huh? Sic his cat on you? HE
should get a (1).

>Retail price: only $19.95!

Too rich for my blood!

Jonathan Nusholtz

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
A little while ago, WoTC took over TSR. Did they release new rules as
collectible card games? No. Did they put Pokemon characters in the
Monstrous Manual? No. Did they do anything else related to the rest
of their products? No. So why do you (and many other people)
automatically assume that Hasbro is going to mangle AD&D in some way?
If they hate the products of WoTC and TSR so much, why did they buy
the companies? By the way, I seem to recall a couple D&D-like board
games TSR released a few years back...

Jonathan

Jonathan Nusholtz
"From now on, I will not try to reason with the idiots I encounter. I will dismiss them by waving my paw and saying 'bah'."

Steve Miller

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99

<< So why do you (and many other people)
automatically assume that Hasbro is going to mangle AD&D in some way? >>

More importantly, why would releasing a product that MIGHT serve as a funnel to
get new blood into the hobby something bad?

Steve Miller
Writer of Stuff

"I've got way too much class to watch Jerry Springer. Come over here and pull
on my finger."

--"Jerry Springer," Weird Al

Philos Sophia

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
[Steve Miller]

"More importantly, why would releasing a product that MIGHT serve as a funnel
get new blood into the hobby something bad?"

Possibly because the funnel may become so large that it defines the game
_style_, rather than just introducing new blood to the game.

Jamie

Bryan J. Maloney

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99

This actually sounds rather familiar--kind of like a game that TSR has
already done, actually...

Academy of Warfare

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
>obs...@brandeis.edu (Jonathan Nusholtz)

Jon,
Hook Line and Sinker.

You're caught
- Academy of Warfare

It's not like I'm trying to make enemies. It just comes naturally. Like the
stupidity

David Roberts

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
I can see the advertisement now:

"Yes, kids! Pound your friends! Impale your enemies! Don't just stand
there! C'mon down and play the new version of a classic favorite: Dungeons
and Dragons Jr!!!!

Look, mommy! I just splatted a kobold with my Hackmaster +12! Isn't that
great!

Mommy! Billy just splattered my magic-user!

Hey, maybe she shouldn't get in the way of my barbarian.

Mom!

Oooooo, look! I just drew a pool of blood card.

Hey, that's not a pool of blood! That's an ochre jelly!
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!"

And so on, and so forth. Ad nauseum.

Sorry, couldn't pass by such a prime opportunity.

David Roberts

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99

Steve Miller wrote in message
<19990924131338...@ng-fi1.aol.com>...

><< So why do you (and many other people)
>automatically assume that Hasbro is going to mangle AD&D in some way? >>
>
>More importantly, why would releasing a product that MIGHT serve as a
funnel to
>get new blood into the hobby something bad?
>

>Steve Miller
>Writer of Stuff

One word. Popamatic.

Steve Miller

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
David Roberts wrote:

<< One word. Popamatic. >>

Pardon me?

Steve Miller
Writer of Stuff

"I've got way too much class to watch Jerry Springer. Come over here and pull

Jefferson Krogh

Sep 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/24/99
David Roberts wrote:

> One word. Popamatic.

Heh. In my day, we didn't even have dice when we played D&D. We used
randomizers from other board games as substitutes:

The d10 was the 1-10 spinner from the Life boardgame.
The d8 was something from the Escape from the Death Star boardgame.
Our d6s were the bad wooden ones from Challenge Yahtzee.
To get a d20, we modified the Life spinner with a wooden Challenge Yahtzee
d6.
To get a d4, we divided the Death Star spinner in half.
To get a d12, we'd roll two separate d6.

If you think I'm kidding, think again....
--
Jefferson Krogh, MCSE
IS Manager

P.S. ....AND WE LOVED IT!!!

Robert Baldwin

Sep 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/25/99
On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:15:12 +0200, Yehuda Berlinger
<yeh...@gezernet.co.il> wrote:

>Outside of the box: blond eight year old white kid with freckles and
>open mouth, brown haired white girl, about 9 years old with buck teeth
>grinning, White mom with neat blue dress and white apron with mouth open
>in surprise, "dad" with oxford tie and neat hair with big grin.
>
>Dungeons and Dragons Jr.! Exciting fun for the whole family! Ages 8 -
>adult, from 2 to 4 players.
>
>Inside of box: game board with track (pictures of wizards casting
>fireballs, and fighters wielding swords. Big red dragon in serpentine
>relief.). Deck of "adventure cards". Deck of "treasure" cards. One six
>sided die. 4 player tokens (blue wizard, red wizard, yellow fighter,
>green fighter).

<snip>

It's been done. "Dungeon!"

Not a bad beer&pretzel game, actually.

--
Saint Baldwin, definer of the unholy darkspawn.

"Everyone dies someday; the trick is doing it well."
"Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out" [MSB].
-
Spam Satan! www.sluggy.com
Remove the spam-block to reply

DungeonMasterDM

Sep 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/25/99

>Monstrous Manual? No. Did they do anything else related to the rest
>of their products? No. So why do you (and many other people)

>automatically assume that Hasbro is going to mangle AD&D in some way?
>If they hate the products of WoTC and TSR so much, why did they buy
>the companies?

Pokemon, duhhhhhh. See what the did to avalon hill
.> By the way, I seem to recall a couple D&D-like board

>games TSR released a few years back...
>
>Jonathan

That was when TSR owned the company.

DungeonMasterDM

Sep 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/25/99

>A little while ago, WoTC took over TSR. Did they release new rules as
>collectible card games? No. Did they put Pokemon characters in the
>Monstrous Manual? No. Did they do anything else related to the rest
>of their products? No. So why do you (and many other people)
>automatically assume that Hasbro is going to mangle AD&D in some way?

Two words "avalon hill"

Zimri

Sep 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/25/99
> David Roberts wrote:
>
> << One word. Popamatic. >>
>
> Pardon me?

I think he refers to that silly plastic-shielded automatic dice
roller. There's a 6-sider between a plate and a hemispherical plastic
shield. You push down on the plastic shield, and the plate pops down.
When you release the plastic shield, the plate pops up and the die
pops up with it, but faster. The die bounces against the plastic
shield, rolls around a bit, and then stops. It'd actually be a nice
thing to have if you have a dog underfoot who likes to chew on dice.

-- Z

krystal_blade

Sep 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/25/99
In article <19990924230855...@ng-cj1.aol.com>,

AAAAAH! I've had it!

ALL YOU FUCKING TWITS OUT THERE... Avalon hill sold ITSELF down the
fucking river. The owner, Greg Kostanza or some shite like that fucking
canned his own people, right before he handed AVALON HILL TO HASBRO!!!

WHY DO YOU THINK HASBRO WAS "BEGGING" for the game designers to come
back during that years GEN CON? It wasn't to give them their fucking
separation checks.

GET A FUCKING CLUE before you spout off. Fucking moron twit clueless
fuck junkie bastards.

AND, ON TOP OF IT, WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO A COMPANY IN THE PAST IS BY
NO MEANS ANY INDICATION OF WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE.
Especially with one fucking shred of what you twitlies out there in
moronland call "evidence".

krysta...@hotmail.com

Yer gonna give me a god damn anurism if you keep this up.
--
愛OFL!!! [thump!] [thump!]......... I just laughed my nuts off.
- QUENTIN FAI

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Steve Miller

Sep 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/25/99
DungeonMasterDM wrote:

<< Two words "avalon hill" >>

One word: Irrelevant.

Varsil Savai

Sep 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/26/99
On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:15:12 +0200, Yehuda Berlinger
<yeh...@gezernet.co.il> wrote:

I own this product. It's called DragonStrike. You're slightly off...
it's ages 10-adult, from 2-6 players, and on the box it has two
knights fighting, with a mage overlooking casting a spell, in a
background of some castle gate with knights pouring from it.

Inside of box: game boards with 'rooms', covered with little squares.
Figurines made of incredibly crappy plastic. Decks of adventure
cards, in various varieties. Deck of 'treasure' cards. One 6 sided,
one eight sided, and one 12 sided die. 4 player tokens (wizard,
fighter, thief, thief). DM (yes DM) screen. Crappy video.

I figure anything Hasbro does CANNOT be worse than this. Oh, and did
I mention? It's TSR-authorized (well, it has a nice big TSR symbol on
the box).

>Outside of the box: blond eight year old white kid with freckles and
>open mouth, brown haired white girl, about 9 years old with buck teeth
>grinning, White mom with neat blue dress and white apron with mouth open
>in surprise, "dad" with oxford tie and neat hair with big grin.
>
>Dungeons and Dragons Jr.! Exciting fun for the whole family! Ages 8 -
>adult, from 2 to 4 players.
>
>Inside of box: game board with track (pictures of wizards casting
>fireballs, and fighters wielding swords. Big red dragon in serpentine
>relief.). Deck of "adventure cards". Deck of "treasure" cards. One six
>sided die. 4 player tokens (blue wizard, red wizard, yellow fighter,
>green fighter).
>

>Sample adventure cards: "You woke a sleeping dragon! Prepare to battle!

Robert Baldwin

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99
On Sat, 25 Sep 1999 12:40:07 -0500, "Zimri" <zim...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

Makes fair rolling a bit easier to count on as well. They should come
in each dice type, and be required at all "official" cons and RPGA
events.
;-)

Mark Horning

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
In article <37EF3072...@ford.com>, Matt Devney <mde...@ford.com> wrote:

>Robert Baldwin wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:15:12 +0200, Yehuda Berlinger
>> <yeh...@gezernet.co.il> wrote some stuff about a D&D board game - > I've snipped it.

>> It's been done. "Dungeon!"
>>
>> Not a bad beer&pretzel game, actually.
>>
>There's another game like that too - Talisman by Games Workshop.
>now THAT is a game to annoy other players with "Ooh - I think
>I'll move THERE - right on top of the fighter with 1 life left.
>Start picking your new character Tim - coz I'm gonna kick your
>arse!"

You have to be carefull using some of the suplements though. The city
suplement is quite a bit unbalancing when someone is playing the Sorcerer.

Mark E. Horning "You can not enslave a free man. The most
Physicist you can do is kill him."

Phoenix AZ --Robert A. Heinlein-- (Free Men)

Marcel

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99

Matt Devney wrote:

> Robert Baldwin wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:15:12 +0200, Yehuda Berlinger
> > <yeh...@gezernet.co.il> wrote some stuff about a D&D board game - > I've snipped it.
> >
> > It's been done. "Dungeon!"
> >
> > Not a bad beer&pretzel game, actually.
> >
> There's another game like that too - Talisman by Games Workshop.
> now THAT is a game to annoy other players with "Ooh - I think
> I'll move THERE - right on top of the fighter with 1 life left.
> Start picking your new character Tim - coz I'm gonna kick your
> arse!"

Talisman is a great game for those who grew up with it. The mystique carries it farther
than the game. But it is a fabulous game. I have all the expansions for the Original
edition for it. It is definately a beer and pretzel, lets watch a boring hockey game while
playing it, game. Great fun.

Marcel

Robert Baldwin

Oct 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/8/99
On Thu, 07 Oct 1999 20:49:24 -0400, Marcel <mrpa...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

Heh. I especially liked the Timescape supplement. Just in case you
didn't have enough power...<g>

--
Saint Baldwin, Definer of the Unholy Darkspawn
-
"Everyone dies someday; the trick is doing it well." [St. B]

"Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out" [MSB]

Marcel

Oct 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/8/99

Robert Baldwin wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Oct 1999 20:49:24 -0400, Marcel <mrpa...@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>

> >Matt Devney wrote:

> >> There's another game like that too - Talisman by Games Workshop.
> >> now THAT is a game to annoy other players with "Ooh - I think
> >> I'll move THERE - right on top of the fighter with 1 life left.
> >> Start picking your new character Tim - coz I'm gonna kick your
> >> arse!"
> >
> >Talisman is a great game for those who grew up with it. The mystique carries it farther
> >than the game. But it is a fabulous game. I have all the expansions for the Original
> >edition for it. It is definately a beer and pretzel, lets watch a boring hockey game while
> >playing it, game. Great fun.
>
> Heh. I especially liked the Timescape supplement. Just in case you
> didn't have enough power...<g>

The most power was the city supplement, with those 4 super-classes. The games usually ended up
into a race for who could be the High Mage first.

Marcel

Robert Baldwin

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
On Fri, 08 Oct 1999 13:51:56 -0400, Marcel <mrpa...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Robert Baldwin wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 07 Oct 1999 20:49:24 -0400, Marcel <mrpa...@earthlink.net>
>> wrote:

>> >Talisman is a great game for those who grew up with it. The mystique carries it farther
>> >than the game. But it is a fabulous game. I have all the expansions for the Original
>> >edition for it. It is definately a beer and pretzel, lets watch a boring hockey game while
>> >playing it, game. Great fun.
>>
>> Heh. I especially liked the Timescape supplement. Just in case you
>> didn't have enough power...<g>
>
>The most power was the city supplement, with those 4 super-classes. The games usually ended up
>into a race for who could be the High Mage first.

Nah, there was one guy who had the ability to control which line he
followed in Timescape. Psionicist? Anyway, with a bit of luck, he
could collect the a-grav pallett and every item around. True
munchkin-romp. Which was the point of the game, anyway. Quite fun.

Andrew Aldahn

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

> Talisman is a great game for those who grew up with it. The mystique carries it farther
> than the game. But it is a fabulous game. I have all the expansions for the Original
> edition for it. It is definately a beer and pretzel, lets watch a boring hockey game while
> playing it, game. Great fun.
>
> Marcel

When we got in in our family it had plain cards but one night my Dad spent all night with
covering them with that plastic contact paper. Its lasted forever and I played it last night
with my girlfriend and best friend. We make up new rules for it every now and then. Last night
we allowed monsters who killed players to keep the experience value.

--
Andrew A