Hasbro turning D&d to crap

1 view

Jigga4evr

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
I am usually a non judgemental person, but my recent visit to the wizards of
the coast has proved me wrong. All the dowloadable stuff has been deleted,
their link to the rpga has been disconnected, their previous archives of dragon
and dungeon magazines have been disconnected etc. All the recent books have
also been a bunch of crap. You cant even read the scripts on half of them
without going cross eyed. As for third edition, it seems awfully similar to all
the failed and non sucessfull gaming concepts out there. Heck i think i am
going to go back to GMing the now defunct Earthdawn. Also all these novels
being released such as white plumed moutain etc have been written for five year
olds. I dont think we will ever see books of the quality and intricacy of the
dragonlance chronicles ( Oh yeah i forgot the next great novel, something about
king Azouns daughter being influenced by a cult and the threat of a great evil;
hey wait a minute i read that about five years ago)
So much for promoting the game for the intelligent and creative people out
there.

Thanx for listening to me rant...ps if anyone here has a chance to download
fire and ice; the module by bill sweeny( found at many sites such as blue
trolls etc)
do it. It is well written and a much better module than any released by wizards
fr forgotten realms, so are his other modules if ya can find them.

Jefferson Krogh

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
Jigga4evr opened his mouth and spewed forth:

> I am usually a non judgemental person, but my recent visit to the wizards of
> the coast has proved me wrong.

No, it just proved you didn't bother LOOKING. Here are all the links you didn't
bother to find. I personally verified them all within the last ten minutes:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDDownloads.asp

http://www.wizards.com/rpga

> their previous archives of dragon
> and dungeon magazines have been disconnected etc.

http://www.wizards.com/dragon/backissues.asp
http://www.wizards.com/dungeon/Backissues/Welcome.html

And not only that, you can buy the first 250 issues of Dragon in PDF format for
only $25 through amazon.com!

Please, feel free to post ignorant complaints any time you want. I'll be happy to
correct you.

As to the quality of recent releases, name specific books and complaints. Unless
you're Ron, in which case I'll be happy to just get in a mock flame war. ;-)

We are all Ron,
--
Jefferson Krogh, MCSE
IS Manager

Tim Myers

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99

Jefferson Krogh wrote:

Hmmm, I just checked it out, and the Wizards site look like it had for months. Some
minor re-orginization, but it's all still there. Looks like Jefferson is right on the
money.

al Khadulu

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99

Jigga4evr <jigg...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I am usually a non judgemental person, but my recent visit to the wizards
of
> the coast has proved me wrong. All the dowloadable stuff has been deleted,
> their link to the rpga has been disconnected, their previous archives of
dragon

> and dungeon magazines have been disconnected etc. All the recent books
have
> also been a bunch of crap. You cant even read the scripts on half of them
> without going cross eyed. As for third edition, it seems awfully similar
to all
> the failed and non sucessfull gaming concepts out there. Heck i think i am
> going to go back to GMing the now defunct Earthdawn. Also all these novels
> being released such as white plumed moutain etc have been written for five
year
> olds. I dont think we will ever see books of the quality and intricacy of
the
> dragonlance chronicles

But you must think, "What will appeal to the most people and make the most
money?", or you won't understand them.

Mitchel Santorineos

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
>>All the recent books have also been a bunch of crap. You cant even read
the scripts on half of them without going cross eyed. As for third edition,
it seems awfully similar to all the failed and non sucessfull gaming
concepts out there.<<

I don't want to burst you bubble, but Hasbro has only owned the company for
a month. Everything that has come out in the last six months, and
everything that will come out in the next year, has been under development
for many months and has nothing to do what so ever with Hasbro. For good or
bad, it's all WotC's doing.

>>Also all these novels being released such as white plumed moutain etc have
been written for five year olds. I dont think we will ever see books of the
quality and intricacy of the dragonlance chronicles<<

This I can agree with you on. But then look how many years it has been
since the original DL Chronicles was written. I think virtually everything
that followed was poorly written.

Zimri

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
Jigga:

> >>Also all these novels being released such as white plumed moutain
etc have
> been written for five year olds. I dont think we will ever see books
of the
> quality and intricacy of the dragonlance chronicles<<

Mitchel Santorineos :

> This I can agree with you on. But then look how many years it has
been
> since the original DL Chronicles was written. I think virtually
everything
> that followed was poorly written.

Plus think how many years it had been BEFORE the DL Chronicles. Once
you strip off all the nostalgia, the first crop of D&D-based novels,
like "Quag Keep", weren't any better than what we have now.

Publishing books is always hit-and-miss; but especially when based on
a D&D campaign. What Tracy Hickman did with Dragonlance was brilliant,
but then, he helped design it in the first place. These new novels are
being written inside someone else's imagination; they can't help but
suffer in that confined space.

I also thought the "Icewind Vale" series was pretty decent. Then
again, it was also designed almost from scratch by the author. The
first one (and the best one) had little to do with the rest of the
Realms IIRC.

From what I've seen, if I see a book based on a module, I am first
going to check if that book was written by the module's original
designer.

-- Z

Jeff Holloway

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
Mitchel Santorineos wrote:

> >>All the recent books have also been a bunch of crap. You cant even read
> the scripts on half of them without going cross eyed. As for third edition,
> it seems awfully similar to all the failed and non sucessfull gaming
> concepts out there.<<
>
> I don't want to burst you bubble, but Hasbro has only owned the company for
> a month. Everything that has come out in the last six months, and
> everything that will come out in the next year, has been under development
> for many months and has nothing to do what so ever with Hasbro. For good or
> bad, it's all WotC's doing.

I haven't been following the post on the Hasbro argument too closely, although,
from what I read I was beginning to wonder if there was anyone who understood
that Hasbro purchasing Wizards has little to do with D&D 3e. Now I see there is
someone. Hasbro purchased Wizards to get a stake in the Pokémon craze. At
best/worst the executives at Hasbro probably don't even know what D&D is.

As for the argument (in another thread) whether or not D&D video games will be
produced by Microprose instead of Interplay, I doubt it. Wizards licenses
Interplay to make their games. Interplay has to pay a royalty to use the
Dungeons and Dragons logos and ideas. Licenses are often bid upon. A trade of
$ can result in a good game, usually.

When a company buys out another company its not necessarily a takeover. It's
usually just a capital investment. Wizards takes the money from the stock
purchase and uses it as needed. Most likely it will go towards R&D (research
and development, not to be confused with D&D). Since Hasbro purchased a large
percentage of stock, they are allowed to have a controlling interest in the
company. But since I haven't heard whether or not any execs as Wizards were
fired or replaced, I think the purchase was for investment purposes.

If D&D is harmed by the change, we only have Wizards to blame. :)

Dusk & Dawn

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99

>> Thanx for listening to me rant...ps if anyone here has a chance to
>download
>> fire and ice; the module by bill sweeny( found at many sites such as blue
>> trolls etc)
>> do it. It is well written and a much better module than any released by
>wizards
>> fr forgotten realms, so are his other modules if ya can find them.

Where are these modules available? Interested.

Dusk

Jigga4evr

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
You are very correct about this, but its also the formst etc that has me
pissed, compared to the stuff that came out in the mid/late eighties, most of
these new modules seem dull. Of course like you said most of this stuff was "in
the chute'' probably even before Wotc took over.

They have to concentrate on devoloping long term story lines/ fresh campaign
settings. <yeah they are canning everything except forgotten realms, but i
think that might have been long overdue, since most of these worlds are so
convoluted, with no real distinction>

Les and Angie Bowman

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
From what I have heard Hasbro made offers to purchase WOTC for the last year
or so. About the time that WOTC was granted the patent for card games but
they werent accepted until recently. Right now D&D 3rd edition has been
uneffected. But then of course Hasbro has only owned TSR for 29 days.....

sasha <sasha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Jeff Holloway <jhol...@texinet.net> wrote in message

> > I haven't been following the post on the Hasbro argument too closely,
> although,
> > from what I read I was beginning to wonder if there was anyone who
> understood
> > that Hasbro purchasing Wizards has little to do with D&D 3e. Now I see
> there is
> > someone. Hasbro purchased Wizards to get a stake in the Pokémon craze.
> At
> > best/worst the executives at Hasbro probably don't even know what D&D
is.

> At best... If they knew what it was they might start to shrink from
threats
> such as Tipper Gore.

sasha

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99

LrdTuerny

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
>forgotten realms, but i
>think that might have been long overdue, since most of these worlds are so
>convoluted, with no real distinction>

Distinction?
Forgotten Realms is the only world that TSR has produced that lacks distinction
from the other settings....
All of the other worlds have a number of unique charachteristics that serve to
differentiate them from standard Swords and Sorcerey while Forgotten Realms is
stuck within the cliques of generic medivel fantasy. Not only that it is
infected with overwhelming good and incompetent evil to a degree that playing a
game in the Realms is pointless.

Lord Tuerny the Merciless
I am looking for a copy of Earth, Air, Water, and Fire for a reasonable price.
If you have it e-mail me at LrdT...@aol.com

Arivne

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99

Here are a few sites with downloadable adventures:

http://www.usc.net/~bean/main.html
Bean's Page O' AD&D Adventure Modules

http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/byzantium/55/scena.htm
Blue Troll's module section

http://www.homestead.com/dungeonsNdragons/index1.html
The World of Kitormlt Archives

Each of the above sites has "Fire and Ice", plus many more. :)

Arivne

Bryan J. Maloney

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
In article <0Z7S3.5497$it.1...@news2.rdc1.on.home.com>, "sasha"
<sasha...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> At best... If they knew what it was they might start to shrink from threats
> such as Tipper Gore.

Actually, Hasbro is so big that they don't care.

sasha

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
LrdTuerny <lrdt...@aol.com5678910> wrote in message

> Distinction?
> Forgotten Realms is the only world that TSR has produced that lacks
distinction
> from the other settings....
> All of the other worlds have a number of unique charachteristics that
serve to
> differentiate them from standard Swords and Sorcerey while Forgotten
Realms is
> stuck within the cliques of generic medivel fantasy. Not only that it is
> infected with overwhelming good and incompetent evil to a degree that
playing a
> game in the Realms is pointless.

i have friend who are buying the copyright for planescape (for like $2000)
and will then be able to publish adventures under it.

sasha

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
Bryan J. Maloney <bj...@cornell.edu> wrote in message

> Actually, Hasbro is so big that they don't care.

believe me, a lot more people will a *lot* more power than hasbro will
care...

LrdTuerny

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
REally?
Anyway to confirm this?

Sean Curtin

Nov 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/7/99

sasha wrote:

> i have friend who are buying the copyright for planescape (for like $2000)
> and will then be able to publish adventures under it.

hee hee.

TSR is going to make a bit more than $2000 off of Planescape from the
upcoming computer game Planescape: Torment.

Sean Curtin

W Smith

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
I talked to a guy from Black Isle studios. They made $700 MILLION of BG. So
even off the shirttails of BG, P:T will make more than 2K
Sean Curtin <mass...@berkshire.net> wrote in message